• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The (Comprehensive) Scalebound Breakdown

Zeta Oni

jesus this world is gonna be huge, im scared

So far we have seen a jungle based town, this new desert area, the grasslands from the original gameplay reveal (which has several floating islands that you can fly between), the dungeon from the newest E3 demo, and what looks like temples where you customize your dragon.

Yeah, I'm guessing the game is bound to be quite large scale.

Chris1

Those screens look great.

Appreciate everything you do Zeta, I'm always looking for new info on Scalebound as it's one of my most anticipated so whenever I see this topic get new posts I get giddy.

Surprised by the lack of people posting here though, is the interest in the game really that low on Neogaf?

Zeta Oni

Those screens look great.

Appreciate everything you do Zeta, I'm always looking for new info on Scalebound as it's one of my most anticipated so whenever I see this topic get new posts I get giddy.

Surprised by the lack of people posting here though, is the interest in the game really that low on Neogaf?

Lackluster gameplay presentations have done quite a job making sure the hype couldn't get lower.

I feel once some longer gameplay videos start showing up, we will slowly see a turn around.

MS is just doing a very bad job showing the games size.

I look forward to further updates about this game. Not quite convinced by the combat shown to date, but I love PG, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Zeta Oni

So I wanna focus on the Xboxwire article that was posted last page:

Dragon DNA is the system that covers all of the customization you can do in Scalebound: It is comprised of three different tools – morphing, parts and armor – that allow each player to build a truly unique partner in the world of Draconis.

We’ve already shown off our three core dragon types to choose from, including the Rex, Tank and Wyvern, but the possibilities are much grander with morphing. These types are connected in an evolutionary circle and by using gems at a dragon shrine, players will be able to seamlessly blend both their physical and visual attributes, whether it’s the strength of the Tank or the swiftness of the Wyvern. You can even make our personal favorite – fat Rex. He’s a blend of a Tank and a Rex that is a bit slower than a normal Rex, but can also take and deal more damage.

Next up is dragon parts. These are permanent buffs (you are changing the dragon’s DNA, after all) that alter the physical appearance and boost the elemental characteristics of Thuban. Appearing in Berzerker Mode, which is like Dragon Form for Dragons (worst name ever™), you can imagine these parts as organic and animalistic extensions of Thuban’s body. These cover offensive buffs, while armor covers defensive.

Unlike morphing or parts, armor is made by human hands. Players will buy armor using currency that is earned by defeating enemies, completing quests or finding in game, mixing and matching to boost Thuban’s defenses. Armor can also be destroyed in battle, so it must be maintained during the game.

This is really the most detailed explanation about dragon customization we have seen so far, and I've gotta say its sounding really good, and is also the first time I've seen a "berserker mode" for the dragon mentioned. While I've made it clear that the love for games like Dragons Dogma and KoA: Reckoning is whats behind a lot of the hype i have for this game, this most recent news is giving me an entirely different reason to be excited: Making my favorite dragons from other media.

Microsoft.....Platinum....

There should be no excuse we cant make this beauty right here:

Blue_Dragon_Box_Art.jpeg

Monocle

Scalebound is going to be the next Dragon's Dogma, calling it now.

No idea why this game just gets glossed over, when it seems to have so many awesome things:

- Open-world
- RPG elements
- 4-player co-op
- Riding and fighting with giant fucking dragons
- Giant bosses
- Solid action-based combat

Nevermind that it's made by Hideki Kamiya and Platinum games, and seems to have a large budget, awesome tech, and gorgeous visuals. I honestly feel that, just like Dragon's Dogma, players just don't quite 'get' what is special about this game yet. I hope it turns out great, and I have a lot of confidence it will. I also hope people change their tune and check it out if it does turn out amazing like it very well could.
Yep, I have great confidence in Kamiya. Felt the same way before The Wonderful 101's release, when nobody understood it, myself included.

The game will probably be great, but whether it's marketed correctly remains to be seen. I really wish Kamiya would finally get a solid hit. Not nearly enough people recognize the quality that this director brings to the table. He's a rare master of game design.

Zeta Oni

Engadget just dropped an article a few hours ago covering Scalebound at Gamescom this year, and while it is info that was revealed yesterday, it goes into a lot more detail about what was shown behind closed doors:

For starters, there are three core dragon types to consider: the "rex," a two-legged all-rounder that's been shown in most of the trailers; a stout "tank" class that shuffles around on all fours; and a "wyvern" type that's particularly agile in the air.

These sets are human-made and purchased with a currency that's picked up from fleshy foes and completing side quests. Jean Pierre Kellams, creative producer at Platinum, said you'll use these to "cover up" any remaining weaknesses that your dragon might have. Most are defense oriented, but a few will also have offensive capabilities, adding more complexity to your build.

More importantly, they look totally badass. The different armor styles include some samurai-inspired plates and a traditional, high-fantasy knight set. You can apply this armor to five different places on your dragon, and Platinum says you're free to mix and match the parts. The downside is that armor will slowly degrade in combat. If you like a particular set, you'll need to watch its durability and make repairs when necessary.

To demonstrate, Kellams showed some gameplay footage of Thuban and Drew battling a large, gorilla-type enemy in a dungeon.

Like a difficult raid in Destiny or World of Warcraft, your chances of success will improve if you have different dragon types. A wyvern can keep a boss occupied for instance, and aim for precise weak points, while a tank-type dragon takes the brunt of its most devastating attacks. Kellams says the game will ensure that you're matched with players that have chosen a different path for their dragon. Even if you team up with friends, however, you should find variety in both your dragons and the way you play.

"It's unlikely your three other friends are going to have the exact same dragon," Kellams explained. The subtle, incremental shifts that you make between the three forms should ensure that your creature is unique. "If you happen to be identical twins with very similar interests -- I suppose it's possible to hit the scenario that you're thinking of, but we want to make that a very, very rare case."

Zeta Oni

So again, we have another article going over info from the gamescom presentation....

Except...

Let's say you're fighting something big. Really big. Like the vast, feathered King Kong-looking monstrosity I see during my demo. You'll be able to do a fair amount of damage with your sword, if you can get close enough to its legs without being rapidly converted into paté. But it will likely be a slow process, and this thing can squash you flat in a couple of hits. You're going to be something bigger.

Enter the dragon.

Activate Dragon Link mode with a quick button press, and you'll switch to a first-person view, looking over at your beast’s position. You'll be rooted to the spot, but you’ll have a nice, pulled-out cinematic perspective on your combat-lizard's position. And you'll now have full control of his actions.

I cannot emphasise this next point hard enough. When it's big monster vs. big monster, Scalebound immediately turns into the best Godzilla game you've ever imagined. Two giant beasties knocking lumps out of each other in close proximity, but with a weighty finesse and versatility that could only come from the studio that managed to make Transformers fun and dynamic to play.

And now you have many more options. You can use your dragon to soften the other monster up. You can use him to smash open weak points that you can then rush in to exploit with your blade. But best of all - and this is the thing that really matters - you can set up huge combos that require dextrous co-operation between the two of you.

Let rip with a dragon combo, and you might be able to trigger a launcher. And yeah, that's exactly as ridiculous a sight as you're imagining. House-sized ape aloft, you can then disengage Dragon Link and charge forward to safely catch it with a juggling sword flurry as it plummets, using the extra air-time to safely activate your own powered-up state on the way in.

This, already, is excellent stuff. Not only does Scalebound have a great combo system, it has a combo system that can span entire arenas without dropping a hit
. And it also looks nonsensically cool. But it doesn't stop there. Because then Kamiya asks me to consider something. What if there were two giant gorillas, and my vulnerability during Dragon Link saw me getting stomped left, right and centre? Then my dragon would be on attack and protection duty at the same time.

Or more interestingly, I'd have to ration my use of Dragon Link, constantly shifting my position and setting up all kinds of safe opportunities on the fly. Suddenly it really feels like a Platinum game. And then there's co-op, with the potential for designated guardian Dragons clearing space and running security for the designated Linkers.

The scope of Scalebound just exploded. What once felt like an intriguing and but unfocused concept now feels like an immensely well-considered combat ecosystem where fresh ideas and huge scale dovetail with layered strategy and thoughtful finesse. Basically, in half an hour, Scalebound just went from confusing curio to a game I'm going to be keeping a very enthusiastic eye on until its release. Having now finally seen the real game in action, I'd advise that you do the same.

This goes wayyy more into detail than several articles posted previously.

HOLY SHIT at the bolded!!

This is the gameplay they need to be showing right now!!

Chris1

Zeta I think you should make new topics for some of this stuff. Shit sounds crazy and it feels like nobody comes in here to actually see it.

Zeta Oni - The man who hypes people up for Scalebound more than Microsoft's own marketing department

Zeta Oni

Zeta I think you should make new topics for some of this stuff. Shit sounds crazy and it feels like nobody comes in here to actually see it.

Zeta Oni - The man who hypes people up for Scalebound more than Microsoft's own marketing department

Tbh, I thought people besides me would do it, I really didn't think the hype was THAT low.

But I'm gonna take your advice and start doing that for key info.

Monocle

So again, we have another article going over info from the gamescom presentation....

Except...

This goes wayyy more into detail than several articles posted previously.

HOLY SHIT at the bolded!!

This is the gameplay they need to be showing right now!!
Wow, this really does change everything. Sounds like the combat has purpose and real depth now. This is what I've been waiting to hear.

_Clash_

Topped my most anticipated. Just can't wait. Expecting neverending story meets phantasy star online meets Godzilla simulator.

NandoGip

They need to drop a one hour long developer gameplay demo like Just Cause 2 did. I remember watching that and going from not caring to "must buy".

The trailers for this game were definitely lackluster but the concept intrigues me. I'm probably going to check it out.

Cautiously excited about this game...I hope there will be a demo of sorts to mess around in to get a feel of the game...I felt the same way about The Wonderful 101 when it was in development and the demo for that game won me over despite not feeling it from the trailers and gameplay videos

In Kamiya We Trust

Zeta Oni

Cautiously excited about this game...I hope there will be a demo of sorts to mess around in to get a feel of the game...I felt the same way about The Wonderful 101 when it was in development and the demo for that game won me over despite not feeling it from the trailers and gameplay videos

In Kamiya We Trust

Yeah, I really hope we get an early demo like NieR or Forza Horizon 3. Would be perfect for this sort of game, seeing as we haven't really had anything like it.

Yeah, I really hope we get an early demo like NieR or Forza Horizon 3. Would be perfect for this sort of game, seeing as we haven't really had anything like it.

Indeed! I'd love to mess around with Thuban, seeing what he can and can't do...here's hoping for the demo to come out sometime

Sydle

Indeed! I'd love to mess around with Thuban, seeing what he can and can't do...here's hoping for the demo to come out sometime

I think this could be a bit dangerous with the tendencies for gamers to make snap judgments and move on, because Thuban gains abilities throughout the game, as he gets to know you, and that's how you are able to access more areas and do more things. Would hate for them to release a small slice of the game and gamers dump on it because they don't have context for the full game.

Best course of action is MS needs to do some MAJOR awareness building for the aspects of the game that make it unique before releasing any kind of demo and letting gamers discover it for themselves. They need to get something that will be shared and discussed. Maybe get Kamiya (not some MS drone) to talk about making his dream game and then do more short video interviews with behind-the-scenes views, each illustrating how he and his team approached a specific element such as world building, environments, design, dragon abilities, towns, quests, dungeons, multiplayer, etc.

Chris1

I think this could be a bit dangerous with the tendencies for gamers to make snap judgments and move on, because Thuban gains abilities throughout the game, as he gets to know you, and that's how you are able to access more areas and do more things. Would hate for them to release a small slice of the game and gamers dump on it because they don't have context for the full game.

Best course of action is MS needs to do some MAJOR awareness building for the aspects of the game that make it unique before releasing any kind of demo and letting gamers discover it for themselves. They need to get something that will be shared and discussed. Maybe get Kamiya (not some MS drone) to talk about making his dream game and then do more short video interviews with behind-the-scenes views, each illustrating how he and his team approached a specific element such as world building, environments, design, dragon abilities, towns, quests, dungeons, multiplayer, etc.
I think it was platinum's doing that they're focusing on boss fights and stuff at e3.

In that case they should probably avoid letting platinum do the marketing and let Microsoft because these boss fights showings it's only making it worse. The bosses might be fun to play but it clearly doesn't translate well at conferences.

I think it was platinum's doing that they're focusing on boss fights and stuff at e3.

In that case they should probably avoid letting platinum do the marketing and let Microsoft because these boss fights showings it's only making it worse. The bosses might be fun to play but it clearly doesn't translate well at conferences.
It was the same thing with the FFXV showing and the boss fight in that. I think they were having complications but still. I think it is better to be more general with showings like the first gameplay demo Scalebound had in the open area. I liked that one.

Sydle

That's unfortunate if true. It's hard to believe they'd sell their game, that supposedly has a big world, as well as deep character customization and RPG mechanics, on what came across as a simple hack and slash MP boss fight.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
That's unfortunate if true. It's hard to believe they'd sell their game, that supposedly has a big world, as well as deep character customization and RPG mechanics, on what came across as a simple hack and slash MP boss fight.

The Nier automata demo generally has none of the exploration the full game will have, its a short segment as well focusing on the combat.

So it seems like they are consistent

Sydle

The Nier automata demo generally has none of the exploration the full game will have, its a short segment as well focusing on the combat.

Wouldn't you say it's a known quantity based on the previous game and its relation to Drakengard?

IDK where I'm going with that, just seems like Scalebound is being sold short after everything I've read about it. I only got hyped after I poured through the IGN coverage in 2015 and there's been hardly any worthwhile follow up since.

Microsoft has another Sunset Overdrive on its hands.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing. Building up franchises usually takes time and multiple entries. Just look at how games like R&C, Jak & Daxter, and even Uncharted started out. Sunset Overdrive has a wonderful foundation to build on and could potentially do better with a sequel.

If anything, I'd say it's bad for Scalebound that MS is behind it because MS has a tendency to give up on things quickly.

I see where you're coming from, the demo probably wouldn't have all of Thuban's ablilities from the getgo...the demo has to strike a balance so that players can explore Thuban's features but not give the player every ability he has...if done right, it hopefully will captivate new players..I personally am interested in seeing his basic gameplay features since its not everyday you get to cooperate with a badass dragon parter in battle

I agree with the rest of what you said...MS has done a bleh job at presenting the game in an exciting matter, and need to step it up a notch

The difference being that Nier is focused on combat in the demo and has me hyped, whereas the combat focused showings for this game at every event since reveal have turned me away.

As far as being "A Platinum game" with a more open structure rather than a mission menu, Nier is looking to be everything I wanted this game to be before they showed it in game. This game (from what I've seen, I'm not sure if they've shown anything new that changes this) looks like it's too much of "an RPG" in the way I feared Nier would be, but isn't.

Another time I feel like I bet on the wrong horse.

Zeta Oni

The difference being that Nier is focused on combat in the demo and has me hyped, whereas the combat focused showings for this game at every event since reveal have turned me away.

As far as being "A Platinum game" with a more open structure rather than a mission menu, Nier is looking to be everything I wanted this game to be before they showed it in game. This game (from what I've seen, I'm not sure if they've shown anything new that changes this) looks like it's too much of "an RPG" in the way I feared Nier would be, but isn't.

Another time I feel like I bet on the wrong horse.

Different strokes for different folks I guess

I love the combat systems we have seen in previous P* titles like Metal Gear: Revengence, so Nier looks great to me as well. But I'm also much more interested by what they are trying to do with this by offering a more "traditional" approach to ARPG gameplay, as well as how they will handle the Dragon partner aspect.

Chris1

And now Eurogamer is putting out an article that it's confirmed, so I'm guessing it's pretty much official :/. Can we all hold hands and cry together??? This is probably the worst gaming news of this gen for me... If MS doesn't put out some Phantom Dust info at E3, I'm just giving up hope that they have any idea what to do for games.
Yea it's confirmed now

They should have hired Zeta Oni to advertise to market it, maybe more than 5 people would have actually been interested in it and it wouldn't of been cancelled :(

Interest has spiked today.

Hearing the news, I remembered this thread and how low the interest was and just a handful of the same people posting. Like Fable Legends I don't think its was going to be worth putting out sadly. Really sad for all the work that get put into these projects.

Chris1

Interest has spiked today.

Hearing the news, I remembered this thread and how low the interest was and just a handful of the same people posting. Like Fable Legends I don't think its was going to be worth putting out sadly. Really sad for all the work that get put into these projects.
Yeah it is pretty sad seeing so many people in the cancellation topic say they were excited for it and it was their only reason for having an xbox etc.. you ain't kidding anyone lol

Top Bottom