• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The (Comprehensive) Scalebound Breakdown

Hexer06

Yeah it is pretty sad seeing so many people in the cancellation topic say they were excited for it and it was their only reason for having an xbox etc.. you ain't kidding anyone lol

Exactly... I'm wondering where this hype was the whole time before all this. Ah well, I guess that's just what happens. Still super sad about this news. I'll remember this game forever. :/

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Yeah it is pretty sad seeing so many people in the cancellation topic say they were excited for it and it was their only reason for having an xbox etc.. you ain't kidding anyone lol

Most of it is concern trolling in that Cancellation thread. Pretty obvious

I didn't post in this thread but was really hyped for it. When I got my Xbox One S a month and a half ago, I bought Bayonetta with it as a fun BC title I could play. It was my #2 most anticipated game in the 2017 Most Wanted thread.

I'm pretty damn bummed because even with the mediocre presentations I had faith PG and Kamiya would pull off a great game given his track record as a Director and Scalebound being his dream game. =/

Some Nobody

So if you weren't in this thread you clearly weren't interested in the game. That makes sense. :p

Thread hurts. Seeing all the jp and extended footage again reminded me how scarily ambitious the project was.

SilentRob shared this in the other thread.
During gamescom 2016 year they showed Scalebound in private showings.

They showed off something called "Dragon Link", something that they, as far as I know, haven't shown to the public ever and now possibly never will. Up until that point they only showed fairly basic combat that looked great but more in the vein of Dragon's Dogma and less like Devil May Cry or Bayonetta. That's why many people used to Kamiya's games were pretty disappointed. And then they showed Dragon Link. It's a button you hold and then the camera switched into First Person Mode...and you controlled the dragon. So then you controlled the Dragon from Drew's perspective, which still looks HUGE because the camera doesn't zoom out but goes into first person and you fight against another huge Monster. And then they started comboing. They fluidly switched from Drew to the Dragon to Drew by holding or not holding the Dragon Link button.

Think the weapon system of DmC but instead of holding a button to switch to a certain weapon you hold a button to switch to a fucking dragon. So these two characters juggled that huge monkey enemy into the air with all the usual attacks and combos you know from Platinum Games only it was A HUGE GODDAMN DRAGON DOING THE COMBOS. There was a combo counter and a rating and everything. It was their direct answer to the "Where is the Platinum action?" question.

It looked fucking great and as far as I'm aware they have never released that footage, just as they never showed the HUGE array of customising options and RPG features.

I'm so mad about this cancellation. Goddamnit.
Goddamnit indeed.

Every time I saw this thread on the first page I'd spend several minutes watching all those gifs...

It looked fantastic... personally, I think this is the worst game cancellation I've seen in years. Probably the worst news since the cancellation of The Last Guardian... well, the Last Guardian actually got released but Scalebound won't.

:/

_Clash_

Every time I saw this thread on the first page I'd spend several minutes watching all those gifs...

It looked fantastic... personally, I think this is the worst game cancellation I've seen in years. Probably the worst news since the cancellation of The Last Guardian... well, the Last Guardian actually got released but Scalebound won't.

:/

Was telling my partner that there's no precedent for this level un hype

Mr. Tibbs

Very sad to read this thread in the wake of today's cancellation. It sucks that years of work from a talented team are never going to see the light of day.

Chris1

So if you weren't in this thread you clearly weren't interested in the game. That makes sense. :p
Obviously I don't expect everyone interested in Scalebound to post in this thread (or others made about Scalebound), but if even a tiny fraction of people did judging by that cancellation topic, this thread would be on its like 6th OT by now

As someone who don't plan to get an XB1 or a capable PC anytime soon, Scalebound is something to be admired as an ambitious project by a talented dev, but not something I plan to get. I don't engage in most "game" related threads for that reason, I have no need to make myself hunger for a game I won't get until I get the platform needed to play it.

That being said, cancellation news, being negative news, always draw more attention and one can always talk about the situation surrounding the drama of a bad news more than any specific feature set of a game. And yes, there are those who will take advantage of the situation to pile on MS, but that's part and parcel of bad news.

It's just the reality of the news cycle.

Top Bottom