• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The coolest sword in a game? Why, it's the Brotherhood, of course.

Tarkus

Not only the greatest sword of all time, but also the easiest to use...
20160414104001_1.jpg

The Dark Sword of DS3 carried by Darkwraiths.

Nilaul

SSB4_-_Metaknight_Screen-1.jpg

We doing sword wars? My vote goes for Meta Knight's Galaxia.
Forged by a god thousands of years ago, Galaxia is sentient and only allows those that it deems worthy to use itself. If you're not worthy, you'll be electrocuted until you let go or outright die. So far the only people worthy enough to use it are Meta Knight and Kirby.
Also I mean Meta Knight is a top/high tier character in Smash so clearly Galaxia is a pretty cool sword.

Fuck getting stabbed/killed by that thing; its designed to inflict as much as pain as possible while killing the opponent.

SkyOdin

There are all these mentions of the Moonlight Blade from Demon/Dark Souls, but they are missing one of the best versions of the blade: Watch here

Beware, there are spoilers for the last mission of one route of Armored Core: for Answer. It is kinda hard to show off with just a screenshot.

Not sure what people see in the monado. Looks awful imo. One of the worst in the thread.
Most of the images are just of the sword in its inactive form. That's really just the hilt of the sword. When in use, it generates a massive energy blade. During the Monado Buster attack, it creates an energy blade that is 10 to 15 feet long.

More that that, the story role of the weapon and its symbolic meanings add a lot to its mystique. It is also the center of a lot of cool gameplay mechanics. The thing is the multi-tool of legendary weapons.

I think it's because of its importance in the story rather than for its looks. It looks pretty silly, but the way the story revolves around it is really intriguing.

There are all these mentions of the Moonlight Blade from Demon/Dark Souls, but they are missing one of the best versions of the blade: Watch here

Beware, there are spoilers for the last mission of one route of Armored Core: for Answer. It is kinda hard to show off with just a screenshot.

Most of the images are just of the sword in its inactive form. That's really just the hilt of the sword. When in use, it generates a massive energy blade. During the Monado Buster attack, it creates an energy blade that is 10 to 15 feet long.

More that that, the story role of the weapon and its symbolic meanings add a lot to its mystique. It is also the center of a lot of cool gameplay mechanics. The thing is the multi-tool of legendary weapons.
I see. I know there's that blue beam when its active but that's it. Don't know anything about it story wise. I couldn't get past the first hour of xenoblade chronicles. I tried playing it twice :|
The opening screen of the game with the sword does look cool tho

Upinsmoke

I'd have to go back and check all the games I've played with swords in, I've never really focused heavily on the design of them tbh. From memory though I was more impressed with aurons sword than tidus, probably because of the size though I can't remember intricate details.

KRaZyAmmo

Since all good ones been taken. I'll add and say Chikage from Bloodborne. No pic because mobile and because of that one fucker in the church in Bloodborne.

Also add to the holy moonlight blade, transistor, and 3d dot hero sword.

AXE

A vote for the DMC throttle sword. Brought something new to swords that I haven't seen before! Everything else in the thread can go dull for all I care.

Well... Except for Sam's sword in Revengeanceancengneance. That sheathe is dope. There. I said that word.

hertog

Brotherhood is a very good choice, I liked the background of it and the farplain powerup.

But my favorite sword would be Cid's excalibur sword in Final Fantasy Tactics.
Insta overpowered bad ass sword for the best character in the game.

I really love From Software's Moonlight Sword in all its forms. It's ornate, but never over-detailed.

http://i.imgur.com/HqzaYAm.jpg[img]

There's also the Cera Cymmetry from Monster Hunter 4U, aka the sword to bring out when you absolutely need something [i]dead[/i]. Sharpness? Please, you're gonna be swinging this thing only a few times, and each time it's gonna [i]hurt[/i]. Come to think of it, it's barely even a sword; more like a big bone axe.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/PfGffQl.png

Cera Cymmetry will always be King Atillart Sword for me. Objectively best GS in MHFU.

GenG3000

Monado by a mile.

23zfqZl.gif

1. It has a good, simple but recognizable design and heavily tied to the game's imaginary.

2. It is not only a weapon, but the key item in the game in terms of world, lore, story, character development and even gameplay.

3. It grants a huge array of cool powers to its owner: from huge blade beams, to barriers, the well-known future visions and
the mind-bending power to reshape reality.

4. From a story standpoint, it subverts many of the initial tropes of the game, like the "only wielded by the chosen hero" trope.

It is sentient, and its powers are possible because it houses the soul of the Bionis God. And it can change forms depending on the user - for instance, Monado II, True Monado o Zanza's monado.

It's one of these rare examples in which the weapon stands out more than the characters themselves.

ff7_cloud_strife__s_swords_by_soldier_cloud_strife.jpg

Pretty much all of them are my childhood.

Anything used by anyone in FFIX, X, XI, XII as well for the most part.

Just some badass designs.

I don't know if Game of Thrones counts(haven't played the TT games), but any sword made of valerian steel is automatically badass simply because its material is a lost technology.

Not sure if it counts as a sword or not but Godsbane from Dragons Dogma.
Its only about the size of a Gladius I believe.
latest

I equipped it and was confused until I swung it and thought what was the point of that.

When the final boss points out what its used for it became my number 1

I like the Zankantou(Colossal Blade) from the Super Robot Wars series for the sheer ludicrousness of their size. I'm pretty big on over the top stuff.

It's not easy finding images of them, but I can find animation examples.

There's multiple versions of them in the games:
Type-0
Type-3

Pretty much all of them are my childhood.
In retrospect I've always liked the Hardedge and the Runeblade the most out of Cloud's swords. I also really like the Heaven's Cloud and Ragnarok's more regal designs compared to the Ultma Weapon (FF7 and FF8 both have this quirk where the main character's second strongest weapon looks better than their actual strongest).

I was really digging the designs in Bloodborne.

Here is a few screens I grabbed of my favs.

The Kirkhammer
FnbcXfYh.jpg

Ludwigs Holy Blade
hkNrC83h.jpg

Chikage
LAsEw7Wh.jpg

Blade of Mercy
k1R4bwKh.jpg

Burial Blade
QILLDwkh.jpg

"Ridiculous" is not a bad thing in my book. On the contrary, I prefer my weapons to be as absurd and gaudy as possible.

That said, I do like some of the classier Souls weapons too.

Top Bottom