• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The coolest sword in a game? Why, it's the Brotherhood, of course.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
wallpaper_final_fantasy_x_01_1024.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Tidus' water weapon works extremely well within its game's thematic focus, has a visually distinct identity, remains useful throughout a good 85% of the game, has narrative relevance in being an heirloom from Wakka's deceased brother, and is an iconic piece of imagery that, along with Tidus, has come to represent the game itself. The idea of a weapon that looks like liquid water is cool in itself, but the way that the design was pulled off went above and beyond in giving it a distinct face - the head of a dragon coming off of the hilt and the bubble shaped underside are what really make this blade unique. The most appealing part of all are the shining bubbles that you can see coursing throughout the interior of the sword. It has an almost tribal look to it - perfect for blending in with the perpetually underdeveloped world of Spira.

latest

What's your favorite sword in a game? Why? Say what game it's from and who wields it, because not everyone has played every game.

There's going to be at least one guy who posts an image with no text or explanation, and I hope the thread calls you out and shames you for it. EDIT: Don't be a wiseass.

The Zweihänder in Dark Souls. Looks simple but that moveset is so amazing!
Bonus points for being one of the first weapons you can find after starting the game.

Flintty

Frostmourne wins for me :)
Edit: Why? Because just look at it! Weilded by Arthas, The Lich King in the Warcraft universe.
"Whomsoever takes up this blade shall wield power eternal. Just as the blade rends flesh, so must power scar the spirit."
latest

The sex.

So much cool swords in games... For me, it's the Red Queen in Devil May Cry 4:

RedQueen.jpg

Great design, "motorcycle-like gear shift which, when pulled, sprays a flammable propellant across the blade"... So fun to use!

J-Roderton

The Zweihänder in Dark Souls. Looks simple but that moveset is so amazing!
Bonus points for being one of the first weapons you can find after starting the game.

Yes! That thing was amazing. I think I used it through most of the game on my second time around. So beast.

KORNdoggy

there is a certain charm to the keyblade from kingdom hearts, and i like the soul edge from soul calibur because it looks like the T virus mutated a sword William Birkin style....but for me it has to be the heavenly sword

6643.jpg

i liked it's adaptable design.

god of wars blades of chaos come close too.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
It's just a sword, who cares what it looks like as long as it gets the job done.

Caayn

The plasma sword from Halo. No matter how many years pass the Shangeili still bring swords to a fight.

ConsiderateImpeccableCollie.gif

4484675-1005397810-tumbl.gif

tumblr_nje804LoiJ1tbytpdo2_400.gif

DedValve

Banned

I agree, I was shocked when Halo had a forerunner sword but when MC picked this up it felt so awesome! A shame that (Halo 5 spoilers )
if your not going to post the name of the game Im just gonna make shit up

Im quite a fan of Neros sword from Devil May Cry 4. The rev up engine is super cool

latest

Either the Holy Moonlight Sword/Moonlight Greatsword/Sword of Moonlight from the FromSoft games or the Falchion from Fire Emblem. Both look great and, despite relative simplistic designs, are extremely iconic with their respective worlds.

Actually Fire Emblem's got a lot of great sword designs. Ragnell looks good also, as does the Durandal. Durandal especially looked great in action - FE7 had some excellent animation work.

Just because the anime version looked so friggen' bada$$!

6FLtbXg.gif

ah man, seconded. I loved how it looked in the game as well, but the anime version especially looked great. Actually really dug Zestiria's design aesthetics all around - that engine didn't do them justice.

Top Bottom