• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The creator of Eternal Champions wants to make a new game

PSqueak

Banned
Pretty sure that there were some pretty stupid bonus characters too (animals ?)

The animals were joke character extras, but the game had 4 legit new characters, including the greatest idea to ever grace a fighting game: The Senator!

Alric

I'd love a new iteration of Eternal Champions. I still have my original Sega Genesis version I got as a mail-in rebate for free when I get my Sega Genesis as a kid. Bought the Sega CD version some years after.

Jh9MnD1.jpg

Besides maybe the main female character, all the characters look bad. They're like worse versions of bad 90s comic book designs.

Whoa I remember playing this a long time ago. I 100% would play a sequel/reboot if it came out!

Voted yes as well. The more fighting games we have, the better!

Inspector Q

I freaking loved the cast of characters and the story behind them. The Sega CD sequel made everything even better and added some cool characters to the mix.

Some of the music was really nice, too. Listening to this while reading up on all the character bios was good times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQbAD15laRQ

I am not sure if I would want a new one to go with full 3D graphics, though. Maybe spruced up sprites would work better. Hmm, interesting choice to make.

Either way, I would be pumped for this.

Degen

There's a long list of fighting games that I'd like to see return before EC, but hey, the more the merrier

That concept art is iffy tho

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Funnily enough, she was the only one character who got a major (and better, imo) redesign for Eternal Champions CD.

I always wondered why a Japanese ninja assassin would wear a bright green Chinese dress, but then I guess I should also wonder why a ninja assassin would run around dressed like a hooker in the original game, too.

125256-eternal-champions-challenge-from-the-dark-side-sega-cd-screenshot.gif

These games played like garbage, but I'd be all for a new one with proper mechanics.

Klart

I loved this game as a kid. Thought it looked awesome and the characters & stage fatalities were great. I remember spending a lot of time in some kind of training room. Favorite character was the cyborg one. Dunno if I'd still like it now though.

Adam Blue

I loved the Sega CD version. It had so many secrets, I felt that finding them all was the main game. The fighting itself wasnt amazing, but all the different types of fatalities, secrets, character story, music, cinekills...this game had everything else going for it. I've always wanted a 3rd, and I think it was planned for Saturn or Dreamcast.

cireza

These games played like garbage, but I'd be all for a new one with proper mechanics.
I find that it was pretty decent for the MegaDrive gameplay-wise.

I consider that 2D fighting games really got the hardware power they needed with the Saturn (or Neo-Geo before it). But MegaDrive and SNES were too limited. Of course, that's only my opinion, and I still enjoyed some fighting games on those systems.

Galdelico

I always wondered why a Japanese ninja assassin would wear a bright green Chinese dress, but then I guess I should also wonder why a ninja assassin would run around dressed like a hooker in the original game, too.

Fair enough, and I've never been a fan of the original costume either.

These games played like garbage.

Come on now.
Sure, it didn't have the same feel and the polished gameplay of SFII - even with all the technical limitations, I loved it on the Mega Drive - but I always rated Eternal Champions pretty highly, for couch VS... It was easily the best, in my opinion, way above the likes of Mutant Fighters, Fatal Fury and Mortal Kombat. Solo play was completely screwed, but I found EC:CD improved alot upon vanilla, in that regard.

paulogy

Well I loved Eternal Champions, and Challenge from the Darkside, even if none of my friends or neighbors did :) I loved the huge sprites, and the almost noir-ish artstyle. That color palette, and abruptness / relative rareness of them, made the Overkills / Sudden Deaths that much more shocking. I created a meticulous list of where you had to stand (down to the pixel) and who had to throw who to trigger all the Overkills.

Some of these were brutal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQlXJl_zf3Q

I thought it was genius how many special characters would unlock, and how some were time-released. Some (like the chicken, monkey etc) were so different it would break the game!

Was never a big fan of the special moves being restricted by the karma meter though.

Edit: I should add that the pixel art was a big part of what I really loved. Not sure it would have the same appeal in 3D.

Zubz

Banned
So who's the headless fighter? Is that supposed to be Shadow? After finding out ToeJam & Earl wasn't 100% owned by SEGA & that the re-releases were the result of a deal that gave the actual creators about a penny each, I genuinely don't know if they still have the rights to these characters or if EC only ended up on the Virtual Console the same way.

That said, after Shenmue, maybe SEGA'd be open to doing a deal like that if they still own these characters. I know those are mock-ups, but the Atlantis stage looks great in 3D, as does Trident.

Ah come on don't do a fighting game.

Give us a open world Chicago Syndicate reboot ;)

People remember Chicago Syndicate? More importantly, people want Chicago Syndicate? ... Because as terrible as it was, Larcen was incredible; I'd totally bite on a newLarcen game so long as it's at least painfully mediocre.

Larcen still the fuckin man, awesome throwback design

Yeah. There's definitely more than a pinch of 90s comic book design in the cast, but I actually like that about it. I don't think any other fighting game nailed it as well at the time, nor since. Even the ones taking heavy influence from 90s comic books.

@MUWANdo

Banned
So who's the headless fighter? Is that supposed to be Shadow? After finding out ToeJam & Earl wasn't 100% owned by SEGA & that the re-releases were the result of a deal that gave the actual creators about a penny each, I genuinely don't know if they still have the rights to these characters or if EC only ended up on the Virtual Console the same way.

As far as I know Sega 100% owns EC and I've seen nothing to suggest otherwise.

Skinner Chen sounds cool. I hope that they're deeper into how the game could play much more smoothly with a sense of flow than just concerned with the new roster.

Same. Most people I know complained about how clunky and odd the gameplay felt back in the day, so I'd really like to see what they have in mind this time around.

Frank Miller's Elektra was patient zero for the ninja-as-prostitute meme, a well Miller would return to with some frequency in his comics and films (Sin City, The Spirit). Elektra served as direct inspiration for Jim Lee's Psylocke redesign (as seen in Capcom's X-Men games), as well as approximately 85% of all female characters in the first wave of Image books.

Top Bottom