• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Crew might have the most disgusting microtransactions in a full priced title yet

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This not only destroys my desire to play the game but also my will to live.

Ubisoft honestly seems to have the most abysmal take on f2p I've seen, and after their actual f2p games failed, they just took the same strategies and charge you $60 up front to boot.

Given The Division was supposed to be f2p at first too, I'm not going to get too excited for that one without seeing a whole lot about the business model.

OryoN

Publishers will get the message once people quit gobbling this sh!t up. Unfortunate, once the marketing campaign hits, many will be convinced that they need more BS in their lives.

Why the fuck does each console gen have a new company trying to be the evil empire!?

in the OG xbox/dreamcast/GC/ps2 days it was EA...

then in 360/ps3/wii days It was Activision...

now in the xbox one/ps4/wii u days it seems like Ubisoft wants that crown...

ugh

jholmes

Part of me is hoping every single Ubisoft release this fall is bombing hard, and with the possible exception of Far Cry 4 I think that could be happening, but maybe I'm just fooling myself here. The Crew however I think should and will, which is sad because I liked the concept of this game deep underneath all the garbage.

Ubi gonna Ubi. I wasn't planning on buying this anyway.

Speaking of Ubi, what does "Ubi" even mean?

Ubiquitous, in that they what their games to be ubiquitous across all platforms, except of course for the inferior and unworthy Wii U, which is for peasants and charlatans. Speaking of which, where are all the people commending Ubisoft's brilliant business acumen now? When they delayed the very finished Rayman Legends because, you know, why not, all I heard online is how smart they are for running a business.

I think this is blown way out of proportion, while MT sucks and should be banned from payed games, we have yet to see the effect of the system on the final game. Ubisoft, just like any other multi-billion publisher wants to get as much money from the consumer as they can get. They're not worse or better than EA, MS or Sony.

Given The Division was supposed to be f2p at first too, I'm not going to get too excited for that one without seeing a whole lot about the business model.
I did not know this. My hype for the Division is now at rock bottom unless all traces of that stuff are purged.

So fucking crazy too, because my favorite game of this new generation so far has been Warframe of all things. I know now that Free-to-Play can definitely work for me but all of these pubs are going about it in the most lazy non-value-add fashion possible.

Stop. Buying. Ubisoft's. Shit.

There is a reason they are putting this in nearly every title now. If they put it in AC, a game with minimum online interaction, what do you think it's gonna look like in Rainbow Six or The Division?

This was made by the team that did Driver San Francisco right? I really enjoyed that game.

For people who have played and not liked this, did any of you care for Driver SF?

I think by the end of this generation buying a full retail release game from some publishers is going to be the equivalent of buying a 60$ starter kit in your average free-to-play game. And I wouldn't be surprised if they adopted the "fun-pain" design that some of the more cynical f2p games implement. Slowly turn the screws so more and more time and/or bullshit currency is required to progress but for just 10$/20$/50$/100(value pack!)$ you can buy Crew Credits, Energy Boosts or whatever to speed up your progress. Ubisoft's already the forerunner for this.

Shitty thing is I think it will work.

A-V-B

Gotta catch 'em all.

steam4ac1f.jpg

Sweet. Almost 10 percent the number of Saoirse Ronan pictures you've got that make up the mosaic Ronan face patterns on your bedroom wallpaper.

:)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ubisoft honestly seems to have the most abysmal take on f2p I've seen, and after their actual f2p games failed, they just took the same strategies and charge you $60 up front to boot.

I still wonder what they had in mind when developing Trials Frontier. The game is great, but f2p mechanics are horrendous, as you progress through the game, between gas limit, missions to get candys (i.e. re-playing a level without any purpose, since it's all in the after level, with the spinning wheel. Yep, the game forces you to play levels just to get things through a luck-based mechanic), time to wait for pimping your motorbike, etc.

ExoSoul

Banned
Does it take a lot of grinding to get the items without paying real money? That was the problem with Forza 5 - before updates it took an incredibly long time to get that $120 car without paying all that money.

They're terrible. Unlike the OP I'm not as bothered that they're everywere as long as the economy was fair and balanced, thing is it isn't.

You get the most Bucks (proper game currency) from story missions but even then its a couple of hundred if that much. Most of the time you'll get 7~15 Bucks from driving around but things are just too expensive.

The game actively pushes you to either own 3~4 cars with a single mod (build) or to just use real money to actually buy stuff.

If it wasn't for that I'd consider getting the game, if they fix it for release I might, but as it stands they won't get my money.

Aerocrane

This was made by the team that did Driver San Francisco right? I really enjoyed that game.

For people who have played and not liked this, did any of you care for Driver SF?

I believe Ivory Tower is the main developer and Ubisoft Reflections are just helping. Ivory Tower seems to consist of mostly ex-Eden Games employees who worked on Test Drive Unlimited games. I really liked Driver San Francisco and the first Test Drive Unlimited. The second Test Drive Unlimited was pretty bad. The Crew takes many mechanics straight out of TDU2. The way heat from cops work is just like TDU2, finding car wrecks to unlock a new car was there too and The Crew even has a version of the FRIM system. The driving feels somewhat similar to TDU2, but with some changes in the aid settings it actually is pretty alright compared to how poor the handling in the TDU games was.

I would say that the problem is that they aren't going far enough with this. I haven't bought a Ubisoft title in a very long time, and have very little interest in their games, so I want them to take their shitty practices to a ridiculous level :). For laughs and entertainment.

I want them go full Angry Birds with this, where you can barely see the game because of the micro transactions add.

More Ubi, more!

jwk94

LOL you serious.
Someone thought it would be a good idea to make this turd online only?
That will sure help with sales.
So you haven't played this then?

They're terrible. Unlike the OP I'm not as bothered that they're everywere as long as the economy was fair and balanced, thing is it isn't.

You get the most Bucks (proper game currency) from story missions but even then its a couple of hundred if that much. Most of the time you'll get 7~15 Bucks from driving around but things are just too expensive.

The game actively pushes you to either own 3~4 cars with a single mod (build) or to just use real money to actually buy stuff.

If it wasn't for that I'd consider getting the game, if they fix it for release I might, but as it stands they won't get my money.
We must be playing different games then. I was able oto max out no and get good parts no problem without spending any bucks.

SmokyDave

it really blows my mind that people see games like this and say "this looks like a great deal for $60, these are the business practices i want to see more of in my games. DAY 1!". seriously fuck the people that buy games with these shit practices. game hardly sounds like its worth $60 retail.
I like the game. I already know it's worth my money based on the beta alone. I no more support microtransactions than buyers of Nintendo hardware support region locking.

I like the game. I already know it's worth my money based on the beta alone. I no more support microtransactions than buyers of Nintendo hardware support region locking.

I would expect as much from a mobile cheerleader. You're probably used to these hands in your bank account while playing a Game!

SmokyDave

I would expect as much from a mobile cheerleader. You're probably used to these hands in your bank account while playing a Game!
I don't buy microtransactions, season passes, or (generally) DLC.

As I said, I can buy this game without supporting or agreeing with micro-transactions.

I can't find any details on it. What was the DLC/IAP or what did it consist of?
You could buy cars or performance upgrades with real money. Every time you paid for anything with in-game currency, you were given the choice to pay real money.

Why is anybody even giving this game the light of day? It's ugly as sin, the handling model is awful, Ubisoft have literally no racing pedigree, the physics are shite, the car selection isn't even that good, the voice acting stuff is awful and unnecessary, the sound design is average, it's 30fps and you can't even play it without an internet connection. I got booted from the beta because Ubi's servers are shit. And now I find out it's full of microtransactions.

Remind me again of the redeeming features of this game? Why not just get Forza Horizon 2 or Driveclub? Hell, if you wanna just drive cars around online with friends, Grand Theft Auto V has a better handling model than this pile of shit.

And you forgot the Story, I think it has the worst Story of all Driving Games.

Chabbles

Stop. Buying. Ubisoft's. Shit.

There is a reason they are putting this in nearly every title now. If they put it in AC, a game with minimum online interaction, what do you think it's gonna look like in Rainbow Six or The Division?

Ah man.. The Division, after being blown away by the Watchdogs initial reveal, to the disappointment of what we got from Ubi in the end. My expectations for The Division are very low right now. And until Ubi prove otherwise, the more impressive the initial reveal, the lower my expectations will be ^^ .Its a damn shame the Ubi suits have to pollute the shit out of this game with MT's, the grind in the beta had me worried too... Aint 70 euros enough Ubi ?, you greedy pricks.

Xando

Oh shit, it was?

Hype dying down really quick for The Division.

glaurung

You could buy cars or performance upgrades with real money. Every time you paid for anything with in-game currency, you were given the choice to pay real money.
So basically the same as some of those less spectacular NFS games during the last generation.

I spun up the Crew open beta/demo last night on PS4. The handling is atrocious. The physics model is laughable. It's car vault level of bad.

Good luck selling that shit, Ubi.

SmokyDave

So basically the same as some of those less spectacular NFS games during the last generation.

I spun up the Crew open beta/demo last night on PS4. The handling is atrocious. The physics model is laughable. It's car vault level of bad.

Good luck selling that shit, Ubi.
If you haven't deleted it already, try opening the 'settings' and change the handling model from 'all assists' to 'sport'. That, in combination with adjusted steering speed and linearity (can't remember my settings unfortunately) totally transformed the handling for me. I can now powerslide around the city weaving between traffic with ease. Doesn't help the whacky collision physics, but it certainly helps avoiding collisions in the first place.

I'm pretty sure they've toned down the camera motion in cockpit view since the first couple of betas too, and that has helped no end.

danowat

Banned
From what I played in the beta, which granted wasn't much, because the game is pretty woefull, it's a pure F2P game that people are paying £40 for.

From what I could make out the grinding to get parts and upgrades would be a lot, and looks like it was designed to push people into MT's to progress, rather than a "time saver" in other titles.

Was it ever going to be a F2P title?, personally, I'd be pissed if I paid £40 for that without MT's, and the MT's are just a complete kick in the balls.

The game deserves to die a very quick death.

Rip

I am buying this shiz day UNO. After putting in a couple hours in the last beta, i really started to enjoy it.

Pakoe

I knew something like this was coming, the previous beta felt like crap so i wasn't planning on buying it anyway but this is just a new low for Ubisoft.

glaurung

If you haven't deleted it already, try opening the 'settings' and change the handling model from 'all assists' to 'sport'. That, in combination with adjusted steering speed and linearity (can't remember my settings unfortunately) totally transformed the handling for me. I can now powerslide around the city weaving between traffic with ease. Doesn't help the whacky collision physics, but it certainly helps avoiding collisions in the first place.

I'm pretty sure they've toned down the camera motion in cockpit view since the first couple of betas too, and that has helped no end.
Might try that... but I just received my copy of GTAV for PS4 and I doubt I will care about The Crew any time soon.

Also, either I am going blind or is the GUI text in The Crew the worst one yet? I can barely make out the numbers and symbols on my screen. The options menu was even worse. All that screen real estate and they opt to display everything in a 3" by 3" box. Eugh.

vato_loco

The
S
Crew.

But seriously, Ubi has been doing some crap stuff lately, even more so than usual. We really need to start talking with our wallets right now.

The game looks shit anyway, and Ubi are sending it to die. I'm basically at the point where I'm ready to boycott all their games, even though FC4 does look very nice.

jesu

From what I played in the beta, which granted wasn't much, because the game is pretty woefull, it's a pure F2P game that people are paying £40 for.

From what I could make out the grinding to get parts and upgrades would be a lot, and looks like it was designed to push people into MT's to progress, rather than a "time saver" in other titles.

Was it ever going to be a F2P title?, personally, I'd be pissed if I paid £40 for that without MT's, and the MT's are just a complete kick in the balls.

The game deserves to die a very quick death.

You can't buy the parts and upgrades with real money.

SmokyDave

Might try that... but I just received my copy of GTAV for PS4 and I doubt I will care about The Crew any time soon.

Also, either I am going blind or is the GUI text in The Crew the worst one yet? I can barely make out the numbers and symbols on my screen. The options menu was even worse. All that screen real estate and they opt to display everything in a 3" by 3" box. Eugh.
I can dig that. It's just a shame that they choose to set the defaults to such awful settings as it makes the first impression much worse than it should be

The GUI is bad, yeah. I think it's a side effect of the old 'always online so fuck you if you think you're pausing the game' mentality.

You can't buy the parts and upgrades with real money.
Are you sure about that? In the earlier betas you could definitely spend crew credits on parts. I haven't bothered this time around, I've just been driving around exploring.

I know you can still buy perks with crew credits. Dirty.

BigDug13

Ubi is making it really easy not to buy their games anymore.

The last franchise they have that I care about is Far Cry. The modding community makes it special still. I'm sure their thirst for microtransactions will have them applying a bunch of bullshit to the next installment to prevent all that great modding. They've already removed the ability to do custom multiplayer maps, seemingly so they can sell you theirs.

Top Bottom