• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Crew might have the most disgusting microtransactions in a full priced title yet

I predicted that the microtransactions and DLC are going to get out of hand this generation and nothing surprises me anymore. Oh, things are only going to get worst.

jesu

Really?, that's certainly how it looked in the beta I played.

I know you can still buy perks with crew credits. Dirty.

Devs have been saying for months you can't buy upgrades, just cars and cosmetics
(and perks from the look of it in the beta's)
Upgrades, you get from doing the challenges.

How do you buy the upgrades in the beta?
I haven't been able to do it.

SmokyDave

Devs have been saying for months you can't buy upgrades, just cars and cosmetics

Ah, yeah, you're right. I was thinking of the cosmetic parts for the car.

As an aside, I fucking love the way they 'deconstruct' the car when you're fitting parts. It looks great. I also love that you can accelerate and brake in demonstration mode and see how the car is affected.

I think by the end of this generation buying a full retail release game from some publishers is going to be the equivalent of buying a 60$ starter kit in your average free-to-play game. And I wouldn't be surprised if they adopted the "fun-pain" design that some of the more cynical f2p games implement. Slowly turn the screws so more and more time and/or bullshit currency is required to progress but for just 10$/20$/50$/100(value pack!)$ you can buy Crew Credits, Energy Boosts or whatever to speed up your progress. Ubisoft's already the forerunner for this.

Shitty thing is I think it will work.

I keep saying this but:- This is going to my last generation buying AAA games.

Im just not interested in this bullshit and these publishers are trying their damnest to keep it in my face. Gratitous DLC is bad enough, but that can be mitigated by buying GOTY editions years later.

But this? This is disgusting bullshit. I simply refuse to even play games with it.

Once ive paid full price for your game, leave me the fuck alone.

Ranger X

Sounds terrible but was expected, if you buy games with micro transactions, there will be games with micro transactions. Now they are just looking how far they can go.

And if we buy the game AT ALL, it means we agree with this line of thoughts and if they don't make enough money out of that, they will skew the GAMEPLAY towards those microtransaction and it will effect the game design directly. Precisely what happened in the mobile market.

spekkeh

Banned
The problem is that microtransactions are giving the publishers enormous monetary boosts so they would be mad not to include them, even though it's degrading the artistic merit of their own product. The only way we can turn the tide if any and all games with microtransactions fail miserably from the outset. No sales, no multipliers.

I'm happy to say I have not bought a full priced game with considerable microtransactions yet, and keep fighting the good fight even when all my gamer brethren have foresaken me.

edit: though I guess I did buy DA:I, so I'm not the hero we deserve either. I'm not touching the multiplayer with a barge pole though.

Ranger X

The problem is that microtransactions are giving the publishers enormous monetary boosts so they would be mad not to include them, even though it's degrading the artistic merit of their own product. The only way we can turn the tide if any and all games with microtransactions fail miserably from the outset. No sales, no multipliers.

I'm happy to say I have not bought a full priced game with microtransactions yet, and keep fighting the good fight even when all my gamer brethren have foresaken me.

You better, because their solutions is not microtransactions. We have to stop partaking into the very idea itself that its a solution. The solution for them is first of all to control their risk with their budjet allowance. That's the real solution.

Kssio_Aug

I would not buy this game even without microtransactions. With it, I think I will throw any disc off the window that I see in any friends house, if I see one, and pay them 60 bucks, just to make this world a little better.

danowat

Banned

Hmmm, I'll have to revisit the beta again then, it's quite possible I am mistaken.

Usobuko

Banned
Such practice would keep occurring because they are successful.

It's like once you hit the mainstream audience, go all out in monetization.

iJudged

Banned
large.gif

ubisoft-fuck.jpg

Grady

Ubisoft is on a roll this year. Assassins creed, assassins creed the shooter, assassins creed the driver, assassins creed the hacker....same game over and over again. Guess its a good thing if you like to spend 60 hours opening maps at sync points and collecting shit.

Kssio_Aug

You better, because their solutions is not microtransactions. We have to stop partaking into the very idea itself that its a solution. The solution for them is first of all to control their risk with their budjet allowance. That's the real solution.

Id rather have less expensive games (in production), with more simple graphics and/or less relation to online stuff, than to pay a 60 dollars game and deal with microtransactions or to play a f2p game thats pay to win.

Generations are evolving and Im not sure anymore if games are either. We lose in gameplay and functionallity just to see better graphics and those "amazing" online interactions.

Lately were basically getting: online focused games all broken, offline focused game more worried with graphical quality than gameplay mechanics,f2p games with pay to win system, or paid games with microtransactions. With some rare exceptions.

Now, I will focus on those exceptions. I want good games with good gameplay.

chadskin

Sucks that Ubisoft is ruining The Crew this badly because there's actually a really fun racing game (make sure to swap the controls from "All Assists" to "Hardcore", though, thanks for the tip GAF) underneath all these unlockables and microtransactions BS.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sweet. Almost 10 percent the number of Saoirse Ronan pictures you've got that make up the mosaic Ronan face patterns on your bedroom wallpaper.

:)

Haha, incidentally I actually do have a framed one-sheet of The Lovely Bones. I developed quite the soft spot for it after watching the Filming the Lovely Bones documentary that comes with SE BD.

Lrrr

Sounds terrible but was expected, if you buy games with micro transactions, there will be games with micro transactions. Now they are just looking how far they can go.

This nails it. Companies only care about making money and they will continue to push whatever business model the consumer supports. Gamers complain about MTs all the time, but continue supporting them. This is why the various collectible card game based modes in games like NBA 2K, Madden, FIFA and NHL aren't going away anytime soon.

Phloxy

I've slight interest in DA:I after spoil my self with some story stuff, but after seeing this, I wouldn't touch it. I know, optional multiplayer and stuff but I'm ain't gonna touch it.

That's a nonsense article, after only 2 sessions playing I have 3 characters unlocked, a huge surplus of potions and crafting materials and can almost solo the hard tier difficulty. All without spending a dime, people need to do some real research instead of jumping to conclusions.

Marcel

I'm actually surprised Ubi put this in open beta. It seems like they'd want to hide all aspects of this game as long as they could.

They'd rather be laughingstocks over microtransactions again rather than laughingstocks over online connectivity and performance again, I guess.

So I just gave this The Crew open beta a shot. Ignoring me not enjoying this game at all (swimmy controls, looks bad on PS4, bland environment etc.) the microtransactions in this look disgusting.

The very first moment you get to spend money in this game you will notice that there are dollars you can spend on stuff and so called "Crew Credits" (short CC). A secondary currency you can get for real money. You can pay for stuff with these CC EVERYWHERE. From cars, to upgrades, to paint jobs or even perk points.

I know we had a thread about Ubisoft announcing that the game had microtransactions but seeing this in person is just absolutely disgusting. It's basically a F2P title they are selling at full price.

And thus we arrive at the reasoning behind Ubisoft's review policy. They know they are about to get skewered by the games press upon release.

I've stopped buying Ubisoft titles full stop. (I might pick up Rayman on a sale at some point, however).

However, even if its only in theory, I fully support anyone who has the technical know-how to hack themselves infinite in game currency, or can bypass any microtransaction.

These idiotic Ubisoft higher ups deserve to be metaphorically slapped across their smug faces for even attempting this kind of shit.

I don't typically do this, but I actually hope that this game sells/reviews poorly.

Ubi needs to stop.
But... but... Ubi says not to trust the reviews[/URL

I've stopped buying Ubisoft titles full stop.

However, even if its only in theory, I fully support anyone who has the technical know-how to hack themselves infinite in game currency, or can bypass any microtransaction.

These idiotic Ubisoft higher ups deserve to be metaphorically slapped across their smug faces for even attempting this kind of shit.
Agreed on all points. I'm only going to purchase Rayman Legends and then I'm done with them. They are like EA to me
(DEAD)

So I think I figured out my problem with The Crew, aside from floaty controls, microtransactions, wonky physics and hilariously invincible objects: The only thing they got right apparently was distance to mph ratio.

It takes an hour and change to get from San Francisco to Norfolk, VA (757 represent, etc.) on the poorly formed East Coast in the Camaro. While starting out from San Fran with my wheels in the water (side note: the oceans consist of 2 feet of water covered sand, followed by an abyss. Trying to back up to get the wheels in almost halfway presumed a challenge in itself.) I set a waypoint to Norfolk. 78 miles away.

Also, The Midwest snow transitions are hilarious. The sunny area to snow happens almost abruptly.

I agree with everyone's F2P idea. The fact that they want me to buy this for $60 is absurd in itself, but to add on microtransactions? No bueno.

A-V-B

Haha, incidentally I actually do have a framed one-sheet of The Lovely Bones. I developed quite the soft spot for it after watching the Filming the Lovely Bones documentary that comes with SE BD.

Lord of the Rings had a damn good behind the scenes as well. Jackson never lets down on those.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Lord of the Rings had a damn good behind the scenes as well. Jackson never lets down on those.

Yeah, I wish more directors put as much effort into documenting the filmmaking process as Jackson does.

ExoSoul

Banned
I bought what I wanted. Why would I buy everything?

Cause I wanted to see how the different cars handled with the different mods. In every driving game one of the things that helps and solidifies the fantasy is the fact that you expand your collection, every other game did it and allowed it. So yeah, forcing you to stick with a few cars and magicaly know which have better performance (the test drive is a joke) or cough up money to expand your horizons a bit is a big minus in my book.

Downloaded the Beta yesterday and played for about 30 minutes and couldn't take it anymore. The game is fucking crap, from graphics to gameplay, it's not even funny. Feels like a mix of the worst of Need for Speed and Ubisoft games. + That story...

Not my kind of game, i think i'll continue playing DriveClub.

Nander

I played the beta a bit yesterday too. I actually found the map/world really impressive, it's both very big and varied and they have (in most cases) nailed the feeling of the different parts of the US. I did a Detroit -> Seattle -> LA drive and it was pretty cool going from the midwest, through the forests of the Dakotas, over the Rockies and then down the west coast.

Such a shame that it's such a shit game that uses that map... And the story is the most laughable drivel I've heard in ages.

Any type of microtransaction on a full priced game is disgusting !

I dont purchase games with MicroTransactions, because thats the way people support those games, buying the game, and investing in MicroTransactions.

I hope this is just a trend (like the online passes), and will soon be over with.

I predicted that the microtransactions and DLC are going to get out of hand this generation and nothing surprises me anymore. Oh, things are only going to get worst.

The traditional console market will reject disgusting f2p monetization models in full priced titles without hesitation.

From review to word of mouth to sales it will all be bad for this game and any like it.

Top Bottom