• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Crew optimised for 30 FPS on PC, Can be unlocked but only to 60 FPS

shandy706

loooool

What a joke. Save us PCARS!

Pretty sure PCARS isn't an open world racer. (not that OW limits one to 30fps)

The Crew is a tall order anyway with Forza Horizon 2 on the...well....horizon.

They'd have to deliver the greatest open world racer ever for me to even consider a purchase alongside Horizon 2.

It's really stupid to not put focus into the *bare minimum* of what's expected of a PC game in 2014. How much work would it really require to optimize this port? Do they just not see the value proposition there or are they just looking at the bottom line and saying "this costs less, do this" without the consideration that a higher quality product would drive more sales?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
People need to relax.

It's a beta, first and foremost, but more importantly you CAN run the game at 60 fps.

There is a grayed out option in the menu for doing just that. It seems pretty damn obvious that the final game won't be limited to 30 fps.

morukutsu

I guess they have good engine lead programmers so this (silly) decision must come from the hierarchy... Or budget cuts. It is not that hard to build a game engine with a locked timestep (for physics) but with an unlocked framerate. Most of the game engines are built this way nowadays. It is the industry standard even for 30 FPS games on consoles to handle framerate drops correctly.

The gameplay will probably be good, but in my opinion, they are not going to sell it to PC players.

Feel bad for any enthusiastic developers who worked on this game and were forced to make choices like this. And they want £50 for it lol

MaLDo

People need to relax.

It's a beta, first and foremost, but more importantly you CAN run the game at 60 fps.

There is a grayed out option in the menu for doing just that. It seems pretty damn obvious that the final game won't be limited to 30 fps.

They already said the game will be limited.

danmaku

Do you think the target audience of The Crew gives a damn about 30 or 60 fps? It's not a simulator, it's an easy arcade racer.

Spazo

EDIT: We can officially say that we're aiming for 60FPS on PC at launch. Our Beta build is still more performant at 30FPS, but you can expect to play at 60FPS on PC when the game is launched.

The final game will run in 1080p with 30 frames per second on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC, and will support up to 5760*1080p on PC for triple screen set-ups. Right now the team is focusing on providing an optimal experience for all players. You can unlock it in the file you've found, but it may affect the game's performances. Your call

-Ubival

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/911974-Disappointing?p=10184062&viewfull=1#post10184062

Mohasus

On the bright side, I'd probably have to turn down a lot of settings to run this game @1440p60, so my 660 is happy.

edit: just played the beta, the game supports 1440p and I can run on high with 30fps locked. Not bad.

Kayant

EDIT: We can officially say that we're aiming for 60FPS on PC at launch. Our Beta build is still more performant at 30FPS, but you can expect to play at 60FPS on PC when the game is launched.

The final game will run in 1080p with 30 frames per second on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC, and will support up to 5760*1080p on PC for triple screen set-ups. Right now the team is focusing on providing an optimal experience for all players. You can unlock it in the file you've found, but it may affect the game's performances. Your call

-Ubival

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/911974-Disappointing?p=10184062&viewfull=1#post10184062

Thanks for the heads up added to OP.

Kezen

Banned

-Ubival

Will the final game be capped by default at 30fps is the question. We can already enable 60fps in the beta.
There should not be any 30fps cap in the final build, let us play at 60fps without having to modify anything.

ghostjoke

Banned
Oh Ubi, you are becoming exceeding good at pissing off PC gamers. Why even announce this? Is something tied to the fps or something? It's a beta, the reasonable people will accept performance problems. All you had to do was keep your mouth shut. Jeez.

MaLDo

No, they said the opposite plus the option is already in the menu (just disabled)

No, they said exactly that Final version will run at 30 fps in PC.

After a few rant threads in official forums, they edited the last message to add that now they are "aiming" for 60 fps in final pc version but they are not sure at the moment.

You can change the words again if you want :)

LilJoka

Seems like Ubisoft is always worried about making consoles look bad

I think they are just lazy, just cant be bothered to optimise the game to run well at 1080p60 on PC. Currently i run a 3770 4.2Ghz and a GTX 780. All settings max except AA set to FXAA rather than 4xMSAA (only other option is Off). An i get solid 60fps but using all my GPU capacity.

MaLDo

I do not understand that this can be misinterpreted

alright quick update:
The reason you could alter the FPS in the config file is because our team is actually working on getting 60FPS for PC. The reason why it hasn't been communicated before this is because we didn't want to make a promise we couldn't deliver on.

They talked about 30 fps in final version. They edited with new plans. They don't know if 60 fps will be at launch yet.

LilJoka

Why? Is the game FPS bound? I thought we got rid of that after Quake 3.

I dont think it is fps bound, but probably something deeper in the engine, see Watch_Dogs 60fps stutter and 30fps less stutter. So its optimisation they need i think.
And it cant be fps bound as i see no negative effects running at 60fps. If there is negative effects its nothing related to graphics, maybe some things that arent so noticeable.

dark10x

I do not understand that this can be misinterpreted

They talked about 30 fps in final version. They edited with new plans. They don't know if 60 fps will be at launch yet.
Didn't see that they claimed that originally. Clearly the inclusion of the option in the menu meant they were working to allow for 60 fps even if the official line suggests otherwise.

I don't get why it's locked to 60. Can anyone explain? Don't the imbeciles who make the game at least play the game at 60 when testing it? Does noone on the development team own a 120/144 Hz monitor? How can this still be going on? This is 2014.

rjc571

Banned
I don't get why it's locked to 60. Can anyone explain? Don't the imbeciles who make the game at least play the game at 60 when testing it? Does noone on the development team own a 120/144 Hz monitor? How can this still be going on? This is 2014.

AAA game developers suffer from low brain activity, which makes it impossible for them to tell the difference between 60 and 30. As evidenced by this post.

Xyber

Because it's a console game that was never supposed to run at higher than 30FPS, so they probably tied a lot of the stuff like physics the the framerate. Then they remembered they had a PC version too and are now "working" on making it all work good at 60FPS too.

But that doesn't solve the problem at all, because there's plenty of people with 120/144Hz monitors (me included) that won't get to take advantage of the higher framerate.

You could see a similar problem in Skyrim when you played at over 60FPS, objects started flying everywhere and shit because the physics messed up at that FPS. No idea if they have fixed this.

dark10x

For a game in beta I thought it ran better than a lot of finished titles. 1440p, maxed settings, 60 fps. There are occasional micro stutters but it's very smooth overall. Seems like it should be solid.

Wait, the maximum vertical resolution on PC is only 1080, yet they have it optimized for triple monitors?
I'm playing at 1440 which the game automatically selected at boot. It's not limited to 1080. The videos use nearest neighbor scaling and look ugly though.

Denton

So basically their community manager fucked up. You do NOT EVER tell your customer misinformed shit that (you should know) will anger them, especially if it is incorrect.
I doubt they ever planned to have the final game locked to 30, because it would really be insane, but this community guy just didn't know shit.

Waaghals

Well, its good that they'll let us unlock it. It could have been much worse. (encrypted ini-files etc)

Still, locked framerates is the blight of pc gaming and this just further supports my decision not to buy any Ubisoft games on PC.

EDIT:
Wait, so the game isn't locked after all?

sirap

Just when I was about to get hyped about this game. Sorry Ubi, no buy for me. My Ezio Foris FG2421 is on the way and there's no way ima play at 60.

At this point I have to imagine there's a concentrated effort amongst Ubi higher-ups to ham-string PC versions of their games.

There's no reason a company as massive as Ubisoft, with the pool of talent it has within its studios, would struggle this much with achieving ports that the efforts of vastly smaller studios with a fraction of the budget and personnel run circles around.

LilJoka

Its a shame as the game is quite fun more-so with a wheel. Im really good at pad racing, but this game its hard to control the car whilst dodging traffic and keeping the sliding under control. But with the wheel the FFB is done pretty well and i find it easier to play than with a pad. It fully supports clutch and H pattern shifting too, along with mapping curves for throttle/brake/clutch.

So far ive found the social element to be non existant, sometimes you see people online, but i dont know how to interact. If you have a "crew" (friends) in the game then you can drive with them, but again havent tested that.

There seems to be a lot of steering lag, but i think its the animation thats lagging rather than the input, from my testing anyway, its not impeding my driving.

I found a piece of a kit car, you need to get all 20 to unlock the kit car. More interesting than Horizons "barn finds" imo and really makes you explore as the positions are not obvious, more like random.

The customization looks pretty decent too, pretty much what we find in Forza and GT. I havent unlocked all the parts so im not sure how many levels of performance parts there are, or the number of body kit parts or rims.

Generally there seems to be a decent depth to the game.

Trying to play now but cant connect =/

Eusis

alright quick update:
The reason you could alter the FPS in the config file is because our team is actually working on getting 60FPS for PC. The reason why it hasn't been communicated before this is because we didn't want to make a promise we couldn't deliver on.
But read this correctly:

We are aiming at a 60 FPS on PC for the launch of the game and the actual Beta doesn’t represent the final game

So, I hope that helps?
This seems really weird given the nature of PC. Unless something in the code breaks because of a higher FPS why not just leave the option there and people can lock down if they have issues? Though locking down's a surprisingly uncommon feature given how useful it'd be for when you have a game that can't reach 60 fps but you want it to stay rock solid and DO mind if a game fluctuated above that.

atr0cious

That article is horrible and does not say at all what the headline states:
Promising Lead in said:
In closed beta the game has had an artificial 30fps lock, but speaking to TechRadar, the Crew's lead designer Serkan Hassan confirmed that Ubisoft is following through on an earlier (albeit slightly uncertain) promise that it was working to deliver 60fps on PC for the finished game.
What the dev actually said said:
"Ultimately the performance and the frame rate will be down to the players hardware," he said. "A few people in the closed beta found ways of unlocking the frame rate. My understanding at this moment is that we'll be allowing players to do that come the full version as well, unless some other issue comes to light which would block that in any way."

What they're talking about said:
By digging into the game's files, users were able to push up the frame rate on the closed beta. The game is also set to support up to 5760*1080p on PC for triple screen set-ups. As for Xbox One and PS4, it'll be sticking to 30fps.
In other words, they might not be assholes come release day, but they can't promise anything.

Nethaniah

Hope you can un-cap it to allow for 120 / 144 fps, no idea if the game will even run well enough to make those targets given that it's a Ubisoft game but to cap the framerate even @ 60Hz is dumb.

Criterion did the same with every game which was a real drag for Burnout which is a fantastic port except for the stupid 60fps cap.

Top Bottom