• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Crew will have an optional four hour long race around the country

King_Moc

Banned
One of the few next gen games that seems genuinely next gen in its scope. I might give the race a try, it reminds me of those rockband achievements where you had to play every song in a row, without pausing.

kyser73

My favourite race in Hot Pursuit is the final 20 minute one that follows the circumference of the map.

A 4 hour race sounds completely awesome.

Watevaman

Just like a driver's stint in a real endurance race!

I haven't followed this game at all. What have the physics/controls been stated as being similar as? I'd imagine this is more like a Ridge Racer/GRID arcade style game than a sim or whatever.

Chindogg

I'm really hoping they're not Molyneuxing us. This sounds amazingly ambitious, but crazy to think of in practicality.

BD1

Banned
I am not a huge fan of the racing genre, but there is something about this game that has caught my interest. It seems really ambitious. Looking forward to seeing more at E3 and hopefully playing it in 2014.

Is this server based? Its asking people too much to finish ten minute call of duty rounds when they're losing. Can't imagine how long a race will last when someone takes a bad corner.

Wouldn't be particularly competitive, would it? Even assuming people who ever participated are driving game aces that all knew the entire 4-hour track start to finish we're talking about finishing times in the many many minutes apart even driving identical cars. Doing it vs AI wouldn't be any better for the same reason. Unless this is some kind of time attack sort of thing I can't see how it could ever be an online event.

But hey, this game is back on my radar after me generally dismissing it as a NFS-GTA mash-up designed to shoehorn players into always-online games along with Microsoft's original plan that had no reason to be always-on (though I'm still not seeing the point). I gladly welcome insanely ridiculous challenges like this as someone who has completed every GT endurance race ever. Especially considering you'd want to practice the route at minimum 1-2 times first to even have the vaguest clue what was going on this could be an awesome time investment. Well, assuming the entire route isn't straight expressways and random traffic pattern generators... And the engines sound proper, and we can play a decent soundtrack to prevent boredom.

ITT: No one played Test Drive Unlimited.
I played them both and loved them both, warts and all. Am hoping for a successor to those games with improvements across the board - especially to the driving model.

If the driving is solid, I'm so damn in for this game.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Isn't The Crew even made by former Eden people? (TDU)

Yep. Ivory Tower is basically almost all of the the original TDU crew. TDU2 was done by what was left of the people who did alone in the dark...
Wait, is Reflections apart of this? Cause DriverSF was last gens Burnout, and I need more.

Reflections is doing some stuff on the technical side (IIRC), but Ivory Tower is the company doing the actual game.

You can play the game solo, but you are always online in the game world. Just like TDU.
You could play TDU offline. It was a little clunky though as you had to use a completely different profile, but it was an option.

Online only is a bummer here, event though I'm a big fan of how TDU seamlessly blended different players into your world as you drove around. Made the world feel more alive and casual then being in a lobby.

ViciousDS

Banned
TDU unlimited was the most emotional game for me when it came to that seamless adventure racing game. That 1 hour drive around Oahu in my Saleen S7 Twin Turbo......hhnnggg gosh I have been waiting for a true successor to TDU, and TDU2 did not fill that roll.

I'm hoping the club turns out great and amazing

Because the only other game that has a chance to blow me away with a ton of cars would be underground 3 coming out and having an open world like test drive unlimited.....that would be amazing.

The original TDU have an hour long race, and Forza 2 had the endurance races that last around one hour too (not sure about other Forzas).

But 4 hours? That would be insane. I want it.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Hell a buddy and I would give it a shot if the reward was killer. Just swap drivers ever 15 minutes or so be a fun challenge.

This is awesome. The real treat would be seeing the environment around you, and hopefully watching it change through night/day, rain/snow/wind, etc.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Didnt GT have a pause mode which the AI would control your car in endurance races?

Imagine driving for 3 hours and 50 minutes thn the server disconnects. :p

Regardless cant wait and will do that race.

I'm in. Those races are always fun so I'll be sure to give it a try. I just hope they have a way to pause or something, maybe refueling every hour or so many miles so people can get up and move and use the bathroom. I'd rather not pee myself driving a virtual car.

Top Bottom