• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The CSGO community goes crazy (loot economy wise)

Kupfer

With an all-new Counter-Strike game on the way that fully supports any and all skins that were released over the years, the CS:GO community jumped on the opportunity to open as many skin cases as humanly possible throughout March. The CS:GO Case Tracker website reports that players collectively opened roughly 39.5 million skin cases in March 2023, marking a new record in this particular category. It's difficult to say how much money must have gone into opening all these cases, but estimates put it at over $100 million in total.
  • Weapon Case 3 hence doubled in value overnight
  • Dozens of individual skins such as Five-SeveN Contractor, Tec-9 Tornado, all variants of P90 Scorched that previously sold for just a few cents a piece currently hover around the $1 mark
  • Sticker Capsule 2, a loot box debuted in 2014 which has multiple variants that are currently valued at over $25, whereas they were averaging a couple of cents per sale a year ago

gamerant.com

Since the announcement of CS2, people have been going crazy and buying what they can. I don't know what to make of it.

Bought some cases some years ago with some leftover 20€ credits, worth hundrets of € now.

Last edited:
My inventory is up to 5.5k. I think I put about 900 dollars into the game. Have some rare 2014 stickers I bought at the time for like a couple bucks. Sold one years ago for like 450 dollars.

Bragr

Banned
Wait, so if you play CS right now, do any of those vanilla drops sell well? should I start playing this now to take advantage of this bullshit?

And people wonder why gaas and mtx exist, and NFTs are still fantasy for some suits.

People jumping on "rare" digital shit because another remake of CS was announced?

eyeroll and whatever

Kupfer

People jumping on "rare" digital shit because another remake of CS was announced?

eyeroll and whatever
To be fair, CSGO is the most played game on Steam (worldwide?) Of course a new version is a big deal - and that Valve doesn't ruin its market by not including old items ,was kinda obvious too.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
This is what people want NFT's in games to do. This is what businessmen look at and think "we can make shit tons off a fake economy here".

It's funny because I used to play both TF2 and CS heavily, I quit as soon as both games added the economy via lootboxes. Valve intended for this too happen as well, its why they did the whole "golden wrench" in TF2 to see how a high rarity unique item would make the economy exsplode.

It just makes me sad that this is the reality of modern online games.

Last edited:

Holammer

And they find it weird when I tell people that I preordered Tears of the Kingdom
Screen_Shot_2021-03-18_at_11.50.15_AM.png

Pre-order games eww? You could open 28 cases with that money!

Kupfer

I just checked again: 17% increase in inventory value in less than a week? That's so stupid, the prices are still rising. I'm curious to see when the whole thing will come to an end.

Holammer

I just checked again: 17% increase in inventory value in less than a week? That's so stupid, the prices are still rising. I'm curious to see when the whole thing will come to an end.
I don't think this is over, imagine what happens when CS2 goes live.

Forget stocks, I should invest on some CS skins.
Couple of years ago you could buy cases for a couple of cents, now the cheapest case goes for 50c.

Top Bottom