• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The CW orders pilot for Archie Comic's "Riverdale"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

Betty and Jughead have been cast

http://deadline.com/2016/02/riverda...prouse-archie-comics-the-cw-pilot-1201699204/

lili-reinhart-betty-cooper.jpg

cole-sprouse-jughead-jones.jpg

I was obsessedddd with Jughead even more than Archie. I think I ended up having more of his comics than the mainline series. But Cole Sprouse is just not.... a good choice.

Emo heartthrob Jughead? Betty with an affinity for Adderall? Veronica's dad is in jail? (Presumably white collar crime). I'm all for updating these characters but these are such strange turns for them you might as well be writing original characters. Archie is supposed to be ridiculous wholesome fun, if you want dark secrets there's plenty more IPs that are actually suited to that.

This entire thing sounds like a fucking disaster. And WTF at the guy playing Jughead. I used to read a LOT of Archie comics when I was younger and seeing it's shitty modernization attempts is depressing. Also those character descriptions... ahhhhh....

Despite not seeing the characters in the actors right now, I'm actually still excited to see this. I've heard so many good things from the current Archie comic they're adapting from so this could really be a standout show.

So is Archie going to not be a ginger and also lack freckles? I wouldn't really be surprised, CW likes changing comic character hair colors like with Barry Allen, but I didn't mind it with Barry although for Archie, it seems to be an iconic enough thing.

JeTmAn81

So is Archie going to not be a ginger and also lack freckles? I wouldn't really be surprised, CW likes changing comic character hair colors like with Barry Allen, but I didn't mind it with Barry although for Archie, it seems to be an iconic enough thing.

It's unthinkable that Archie won't be a redhead. Dye job incoming.

Effect

Nice job with Luke Perry and the guy they casted for Archie. Similar facial features. Always appreciate when they try to go for that. Would say it's weird to see Luke Perry playing a dad if Ian Ziering hadn't already done it in Sharknado.

Not that I would be really interested in a live action Archie anyway but this sounds far worse.

What happened to the Afterlife with Archie series that was in the news?

It actually kind of sounds like they're laying groundwork to eventually turn this into an Afterlife with Archie series. Everything is kind of dark and fucked up, everyone has these terrible secrets, there's "something bubbling" under Riverdale, etc. I wonder if it comes out and tanks if they'll take a hard left and pull it into the weird creepy supernatural direction?

Can't say I'm a fan of this. Like, ay of it. All the characters sound like horrible representations of the ones in the comic.

A part of me wished John Hughs would've made an Archie movie in the 80s, with Eric Stoltz as Archie, John Cusack as Jughead, Kristy Swanson as Betty, and Phoebe Cates as Veronica. No clue who could be Reggie. Oh well, in another alternate universe, I guess.

Huh. There already is a black PussyCat (Valerie). But I'm cool with this.

No asexual Jughead, though?
Melody might still be white, and maybe Valerie will be Asian?

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Wtf. I must be getting old. Didnt Archie look like this?

Archieandrwcmc.png

Who are these people in the OP. When did it change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom