• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The CW orders pilot for Archie Comic's "Riverdale"

Status
Not open for further replies.

anaron

Wtf. I must be getting old. Didnt Archie look like this?

Archieandrwcmc.png

Who are these people in the OP. When did it change?

It's a modern update in line with the current (GREAT) Mark Waid penned series and Afterlife with Archie. The pilot is being created by longtime chief creative officer of Archie comics: Roberto Sacasa. (who's behind the equally amazing Afterlife with Archie and Chilling Adventures of Sabrina)

like I get being somewhat skeptical and whatnot but like, this is being done by like the biggest Archie fan, who wrote the brilliant Afterlife with Archie and has already promised that every year the halloween episode will be an Afterlife one.

It's likely going to be awesome

Wow this property is soooo perfect for CW haha

Fiona Staples worked on the Mark Waid run didn't she? I need to pick those up soon.

I just picked up a book from amazon that collects the first 6 issues of the new Archie (and the first issue of the new Jughead as a bonus). It's genuinely great. Gives new dimensions to the characters. It's a little edgier than vanilla Archie too. When Veronica first arrives at Riverdale High, she asks if the bad smell is the smell of crack lol

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1627388672/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I just picked up a book from amazon that collects the first 6 issues of the new Archie (and the first issue of the new Jughead as a bonus). It's genuinely great. Gives new dimensions to the characters. It's a little edgier than vanilla Archie too. When Veronica first arrives at Riverdale High, she asks if the bad smell is the smell of crack lol

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1627388672/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And I'm even more sold now lmao That sounds awesome

Why couldn't they have made a lighthearted show about high school kids doing goofy stuff. Ugh, the quest to ravage the innocent joys of my childhood continues... :(

ReiGun

They gotta do a Sabrina crossover for Halloween.
Josie and the Pussycats.

https://twitter.com/ArchieComics/status/712007074838945792

The one the right (Ashleigh Murray) was already announced as Josie. The other two are new and the other band members. It's not said who is Melody or Valerie though.

I know some people (twitter...I know, and the like) have been having some issues with the casting for the show but I'm really liking it so far.

Give them their own spin off.

Why? Cause they fine. Dassit.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
this is going to be really good, isn't it?

They gotta do a Sabrina crossover for Halloween.

oh shit yeah let's hope so

Why couldn't they have made a lighthearted show about high school kids doing goofy stuff. Ugh, the quest to ravage the innocent joys of my childhood continues... :(

i read a ton of Archie as a kid - the new Waid/Staples book is light years ahead of it

Cheerilee

Does Archie ever choose one?

No, Archie exists in limbo, never aging, always torn between Betty and Veronica in his teenage love triangle (or sometimes love polygon).

When time starts moving for him, he chooses neither, and instead marries Valerie (the black girl from Josie and the Pussycats) and has a daughter with her.

Then he dies protecting his gay friend Kevin from a homophobic assassin's bullet.

Then Archie's descendant becomes a timecop and is Jughead's one true love.

SRG01

No, Archie exists in limbo, never aging, always torn between Betty and Veronica in his teenage love triangle (or sometimes love polygon).

When time starts moving for him, he chooses neither, and instead marries Valerie (the black girl from Josie and the Pussycats) and has a daughter with her.

Then he dies protecting his gay friend Kevin from a homophobic assassin's bullet.

Then Archie's descendant becomes a timecop and is Jughead's one true love.

Was the last one actually a plot line?

styl3s

Speaking of this, Kevin Smith was actually on-set for this while shooting the Flash.

He said he thought it could be good, thought it was weirdly Twin Peaks-ish in a way.
How many times did Kevin Smith cry while on set?

I love the new Archie run and it looks to be based on that so color me excited. Even if it's CW teen angst schlock i will eat it up.

The plan is actually for every season the Halloween episode will be "Afterlife with Archie" :)

Sabrina is I believe already confirmed to show up on the show

It's possible I just missed something somewhere along the line, but I don't recall any supernatural elements being confirmed.

The plan is actually for every season the Halloween episode will be "Afterlife with Archie" :)

Sabrina is I believe already confirmed to show up on the show

AW WHAT.

SO WE'RE FINALLY GETTING AN AFTERLIFE ADAPTATION?

I'm all in for those episodes then. Afterlife is amazing, in some part due to Francavilla's art as well as the overall darkness and menace the art helps foster. Granted, without Francavilla's sensibilities guiding the style, it has me worried but I'm definitely more interested now in the show.

Also, I definitely do not remember this popping up before. EDIT 2: Oh this was during its time at Fox? Hmm, I wonder how the CW budget will accommodate their plans then...

anaron

It's possible I just missed something somewhere along the line, but I don't recall any supernatural elements being confirmed.
"darkness" is something that keeps being described with the show but I have no idea how they are going to address that.

Roberto's obviously in love with the stuff so he's probably going to have it part of the world but just relegated purely to Sabrina (much like the comics!) so he can have her on the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom