• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The CW orders pilot for Archie Comic's "Riverdale"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwk94

http://comicbook.com/2016/05/19/riverdale-series-description-reveals-forbidden-relationship-betw/

Archie and Grundy... ill ship that

Edit: Dang it, double post on accident

Trailer. It freezes at times and the audio is quite desynced, but it can give you an idea of the tone of the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3NxIg3tuUo
This seems more like The Vampire Diaries and Scream had a baby who may or may not be supernatural. I...i'm not exactly sure how to feel about this. Why was that trailer so bad though?

Effect

The teacher thing might not be so bad if they play it right. Looked up the actress, Sarah Habel, and she looks pretty young. Considering the relationship takes place over the summer I wonder if he meet her before she started teaching and once she found out he's a student ended it. Also considering how she looks I wonder if she's someone right out of college or speed through college (a prodigy maybe) and isn't that removed from Archie in age.

Will have to wait and see. If the above is the case then it makes the whole thing better. What I don't want is this being a repeat of Dawson's Creek.

Hey, OldGAF, remember when the To Riverdale and Back tv movie scarred people? Well, this is a whole new level.

Can't say I'm not at least a little intrigued. Still the concept of Archie actually getting laid is just so foreign to me.

So will Josie being in this mean they're hoping for success to make a Josie and the Pussycats spin-off?

Also Team Betty/Veronica. Archie can go bang the teacher all he wants if it drives the ladies together.

Pluto

I watched the trailer yesterday, it's not what I expected at all but I'm still interested. A few years ago I wouldn't have thought that Archie horror comics could be a thing and actually be good, so this could be great as well.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I watched the trailer yesterday, it's not what I expected at all but I'm still interested. A few years ago I wouldn't have thought that Archie horror comics could be a thing and actually be good, so this could be great as well.

Yep, that's where my head is at with this too. This isn't what I expected at all, but Afterlife with Archie and Chilling Adventures of Sabrina are A++ comics, so I can't complain about them mixing and mashing a little. When this was announced I expected a pretty cut and dry adaptation of what Waid is doing with the main Archie comic, but it looks like this will be more.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Some casual pics of the cast:

CjPbHpkWEAIjJ0V.jpg:orig
CjPbHo3WUAAjVgE.jpg:orig
CjPbHrEWUAIaBK6.jpg:orig
CjPbHrVXIAA4NeW.jpg:orig

Cjbg1EMUoAAXzCt.jpg:orig

Cjbg1XGVAAAMcbv.jpg:orig

CjeC_f0VAAA8D8Z.jpg:orig

Cjbg1u7VAAAHxt9.jpg:orig

Cjbg2Q0VAAIRU7W.jpg:orig

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
They captured a picture of Jughead's actor eating burgers. This pleases me.

Ross61

I can't thank Berlanti enough for his continued efforts in improving diversity on tv so I will atleast check this out.

BBboy20

Archie's constant different directions and actually working is one of the most fascinating things in entertainment right now. It seems like you can put this franchise anywhere and the creators will figure out how to make it work.

Interested in the potential of this project.

I heard Josie was cast, it is known at this point if Sabrina is going to be part of the show?

Pluto

I heard Josie was cast, it is known at this point if Sabrina is going to be part of the show?
If they introduce her I hope they never show her doing magic, they should make it ambiguous with strange things happening when she's around that could be coincidences.

io9 impressions of the screening.
Riverdale really wants to be Twin Peaks, but it’s not weird enough to pull that off. It should feel like Veronica Mars, another noir-ish show with teenagers quipping quickly and full of pop culture references. It’s not quite clever enough for that either. Instead, Riverdale ends up more like Freeform’s Pretty Little Liars, which, if you’re a fan of silly shows that take themselves very seriously, isn’t a bad thing at all.

Riverdale isn’t deep. Every plot point is one we’ve seen before—a murder, adults with secrets, teenagers trying to buck expectations and get into college—but with all the familiar Archie trappings. Every shout-out is seamlessly worked into this version of Riverdale. It feels EXACTLY like what modern versions of these characters would look like.
http://io9.gizmodo.com/riverdale-tu...&utm_source=io9_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Fuu

Another impression:
Okay, I’ll be honest: I thought I was going to hate Riverdale. Ever since it was rumored that The CW was going to develop this show, I was a harsh skeptic. I thought it was going to be total campy trash. I thought it would be a joke. I mean, let’s be honest: when something is described as a gritty adaptation of the Archie Comics mixed with elements of a Twin Peaks murder mystery and Gossip Girl romantic intrigue? Come on. That just sounds like a hodgepodge of random genres thrown into a blender. But oh. My. Archie. I was so wrong.

I can’t even explain how, but somehow, all the elements work together to make a juicy, compelling, thrilling murder mystery with romantic intrigue, messy family drama and complicated relationships between friends and enemies and friends turned enemies and enemies turned friends. It’s addictively fun. And the fact that I need to wait until midseason to see more is a total travesty. Literally the first thing I said to my friend sitting next to me when the screen went black and the screening ended was, “I need more! I need more now!” But nope, thanks to The CW holding Riverdale hostage until midseason, I, along with the rest of the world, have to wait until January for more. Travesty!
Rest at the link: Why Riverdale is the best new drama of the season (SDCC review)

Posters:

tumblr_oanwhaDvJL1v9dyjzo1_500.jpg

Cn5JM-bWIAEXRsO.jpg:orig

And this is old, but it's cute:

tumblr_o8xy4mYGSf1vv6vkfo1_1280.jpg

Fuu

The Tracking Board gave the pilot a B+

Filled with 21st teenage angst and the perfect amount of “mature” content, Riverdale sells itself as a fun, yet dark show that can only get better and more entertaining with each episode. The pilot builds a solid foundation and gives the show plenty of room to grow into what is sure to be the next CW obsession.

Full review at the link: “Riverdale” Review: A Deliciously Noirish take on a Classic Comic

From the SDCC:

CoBH7I6W8AEs9XW

CoBNMg1WgAIU4q-

CoBMcqbXgAA5oL6

CoECvoSVUAA2CRZ

CoArzQOW8AAOnAh

CoBH8wmWIAAQPGy

CoBID6pW8AIBXJc

YyHnM9L.gif

Fuu

Yahoo TV (video): ‘Riverdale’: Meet the Stars of This ‘Film Noir’ Archie

Yahoo TV (video): Hidden Talents with the Cast of 'Riverdale'

Z99NVYs.gif

Slashfilm review: ‘Riverdale’ Is Mostly The Modern Update of Archie You’d Expect
When Riverdale works best is when the kids are just allowed to be kids, not when the focus is on the death of Jason or the routine High School drama. There’s an entertaining exchange between Betty and Veronica – the two standouts – on a track field and it’s the kind of believable, charming conversation the pilot needs, just to let us get to know these characters through everyday conversation rather than forced backstory.

Two shows are conflicting in the pilot of Riverdale: a potentially fun High School drama and a murder mystery. The series could end up functioning as both, of course, but after seeing the pilot, the former sounds more appealing. If this series finds its footing, its young ensemble could become a group of characters you’d want to spend time watching. The more attention paid to them during the pilot, the better.

Outer Places review: Archie Comics Adaptation "Riverdale" Is Twin Peaks Meets Dawson's Creek, In a Good Way
Aside from its self-awareness, which helps to undercut the cheesiness considerably, the saving grace is Veronica herself. As of the pilot, she's the only character who is developed enough to transcend her "bad girl from New York" stereotype and feel like a real person. She's witty, sarcastic, and feisty without falling into that "pluckiness" trap, a characterization which is helped immensely by a wonderfully rounded performance from newcomer Camila Mendes. It remains to be seen whether Riverdale will be a legitimately good show or just a guilty pleasure, but if it steers into the skid and doubles down on the meta humor and interesting characterizations like Veronica's, it has the potential to be our next Berlanti-produced obsession.

Bleeding Cool review: The Jumping Tone And Focus Of The Riverdale Pilot
The story is stuffed with elements and plots from other successful shows – high school club drama (Popular and Glee), an older parent generation with secrets and past relationships (Revenge), illicit possible illegal relationships (The Affair) and even a Twin Peaks style murder mystery. In doing so, its tone and focus jumps around the place in an inconsistent and jarring fashion.

I suppose the job of a pilot is to hook the viewer and show off the potential for a new series rather than provide a compelling and balanced 40 minutes of entertainment. In exploring so many different avenues for storylines going forward they have certainly shown that the property is ripe for this type of exploitation.

But if this series is going to be a success in the long haul I would imagine that it will need to pick the show it wants to be – preferably something as original and subversive as Sacasa’s past work – and stick with it.

The Hollywood Reporter: Comic-Con: 'Riverdale' Boss Calls Archie Comics Adaptation a "Teenage 'Twin Peaks'"
Like Twin Peaks, the pilot episode of Riverdale opens with a mysterious murder." The big mystery of season is definitely what happened to Jason Blossom we're going to follow all the twists and turns of that," Aguirre-Sacasa said.

Added executive producer Sarah Schrecter: "And we will solve the mystery this season to make sure that loyal viewers get rewarded."

Seeing as the series is set in high school and airs on The CW, Aguirre-Sacasa promised the murder mystery wouldn't be the only narrative running through the first season. "There's going to be a lot of romances," he said.

There are a lot of pics from the panel, so I won't do another pic dump (for now :p). Some good ones:

CoEfecOVUAA0Mcj.jpg
CoF-YF1WcAAxY6h.jpg
tumblr_oas5av24AO1v1jzoxo1_1280.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom