• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The death of the Game Console

Except you can get Plug-and-Play with a little hassle on PC right now. X-box Media Center/Kodi will do the work of Apple TV or another DVR-like device. Steam will give you a console-like experience of buying and downloading titles.

Is it perfect? No but it can get there.

The little hassle is the basic difference between mass adoption and enthusiast niche. All of things you mentioned as being "almost" might as well not exist. You can stream via your tv or bluray player or PS4 and that's enough for many.

It's not different from high end audio and plasma TVs. Sound and picture being better doesn't always matter, mass market wanted lcds and sound bars. Matters to me, not to most.

He doesn't even elaborate on how they arrived at that data. Was it some kind of market study? Why are Sony and Nintendo researching and investing in ways to make back catalogs accessible?

Pretty funny to actually wonder how they got there--they spent around 100M on controller research alone. If I have to take the word of a platform holder on something like this vs a swath of folks online, I'll take the platform holder, because otherwise it would be in the product. BC being important to the mass market simply isn't true. I'll answer your second question with a different one, if it's so important, why didn't the current market leader bother including it? They did last time to great lengths.
Because the tiny niche of folks that want to play the older titles will pay for it--maybe not a lot, but most folks aren't hopping on to play U2 over Bloodborne. They're playing and buying FIFA/CoD every year.

The context in which I named those small form PCs for gaming was clear. Don't spin it just so you can dance around the fact that billion dollar businesses are building those machines for a reason.

You mean the same manufacturers that make PCs and Gaming PCs? Yes, the context is that they made a variety of machines that haven't driven adoption of anything. There's a monster gaming PC downstairs and I'm typing on one of 2 gaming laptops in my house. Guess what you won't find in here? Steam machine.

What giant hurdle does digital distribution have? Are you going to dance around the growth of it and the implications of it too?

Infrastructure is a big problem. This is the main hurdle, it's not dancing around the growth of to say that the differences in download speed across regions of the country are a larger hindrance than the desire to simply download something and be done with it. Half of my collection is digital, but that's also because I have 300/30 and no bandwidth caps. Everyone can't say the same, especially in the EU.

I didn't say emerging markets, I said emerging game types and a growing variety of gamer preferences, which may drive console manufacturers to find ways to reach that growing audience. I get that redirection is your thing, but don't get lazy on me if you're going to continue doing it.

I misread that, but the growing variety of preferences? Not so much. The way console platforms reach that audience is to simply bring the content over vs making different version of hardware.

All those points you say I'm ignoring are just sweeping assumptions of yours. That's fine, but don't pass them off as facts.

No. Your position from the start has been tethered to an enthusiast viewpoint, while ignoring the larger market realities.
There is nothing to suggest that anyone wants an upgradeable console of any kind--the complete opposite is true, and this is no opinion.
You've also ignored the cost and platform portion and have yet to explain why this actually makes sense for a mass market and not enthusiast one.
People like the current set-up for a reason.

PC is dead, Xbox is dead, Playstation is dead, Nintendo is dead, Banjo is dead, Metroid is dead, Crash Bandicoot is dead, Candy Crush is dead, Angry Birds is dead, those Tiger games are dead, Computing as we know it is dead, gaming is dead, and gamers are dead.

I don't think consoles will die as a concept, they will just become more and more multifunctional devices.

What i'm personally keeping an eye on is the publisher and market situations. Japan isn't exactly the hotbed of sales it once was, and many traditional publishers and devs seem to be struggling. I'm not sure if the whole '3rd party model based off buying key AAA exclusives' works without major publishers to buy them from. Indies are tempting, but seem to be too, i dunno, random in which ones blow up to massive successes versus fade into obscurity.

bobawesome

PC is dead, Xbox is dead, Playstation is dead, Nintendo is dead, Banjo is dead, Metroid is dead, Crash Bandicoot is dead, Candy Crush is dead, Angry Birds is dead, those Tiger games are dead, Computing as we know it is dead, gaming is dead, and gamers are dead.

"You're dead. Your friends are dead. Your family's dead. Your fucking pets are being skinned alive. Your mom's a fucking whore. You suck at life. The whole world hates you. You're going to hell. Live with it."

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Platform holders don't want them dead, and platform holders have the software to push them through.

Piracy: Piracy required embedded encryption keys and encrypted OS and Memory images. This is why they are called embedded platforms which is a required feature for Playready DRM support. All modern Windows 8.1 OEM platforms and newer require a Trusted boot module and embedded Codec keys as well as protected codec/player and in the near future all IO. This is done in AMD APUs and dGPUs using ARM Trustzone.

"Piracy is dead", they said.
About five billion times.

Windows 8.1 got hacked into booting on 'supposed' locked down BIOSes in two weeks.

Platform holders don't want them dead, and platform holders have the software to push them through.

"Piracy is dead", they said.
About five billion times.

Windows 8.1 got hacked into booting on 'supposed' locked down BIOSes in two weeks.
I don't know of a TEE level SoC as PC that has been hacked because until AMD's Carizo there hasn't been one and Carizo is just entering the market. Manufacturers backed off from making secure bios because they would have been locked to one OS supplied by the Manufacturer. With Tee Level SoCs you can secure DRM and have a trusted boot either locked to an OS or not depending on the user. Locked to the Manufacturer OS of choice would be equvilent to a Console even if it was Windows 10. Features offered and UI are again Manufacturer's choice. Competition should drive features and allow a fairly open to programs and apps platform.

Points that have been overlooked:

1) Single chip PCs are coming with internal and/or external PCIe/Hypertransport like ports which double as LAN ports (10Gb/sec).
2) 2016 Comcast will start the move to Docsis 3.1 and will offer 2 Gb/sec internet on both fiber and hybrid fiber last mile copper.
3) The connected home is nearly here
4) PCs will move to the livingroom as TVs move to higher resolutions, the user interface gets easier to use and more must have features are incorporated into it. Andrid L and Windows 10 support TVs and websites are moving to TV UIs.

The features offered by Consoles (XB1 and PS4) as well as PCs will make them very attractive...AMD is counting on this for the PC market. Very easy to use and setup in the home for Consoles and PCs.

It starts with Games and DLNA then secure certified DLNA with embedded DRM = Vidipath (DLNA CVP2). Vidipath allows media and more to be shared securely over a home network. Network connected blu-ray players and Cable TV DVRs will share media over the home network. It starts late 2015 with the PS4 and XB1 which will be Vidipath Blu-ray servers over the home network and more). By 2017+ Cable is 2Gb+/sec and Cable TV DVRs are phased out in favor of Cable modem served IPTV...RF cable TV channels are phased out in blocks of 20+ channel where the bandwidth is used by DOCSIS 3.1 cable modems.

This is the world wide plan I've already documented here on NeoGAF and Simiaccurate. PCs have a part to play and is why AMD APUs and dGPUs are evolving to secure SoCs with ARM Trustzone processors.

ZOONAMI

I don't know of a TEE level SoC as PC that has been hacked because until AMD's Carizo there hasn't been one and Carizo is just entering the market. Manufacturers backed off from making secure bios because they would have been locked to one OS supplied by the Manufacturer. With Tee Level SoCs you can secure DRM and have a trusted boot either locked to an OS or not depending on the user. Locked to the Manufacturer OS of choice would be equvilent to a Console even if it was Windows 10. Features offered and UI are again Manufacturer's choice. Competition should drive features and allow a fairly open to programs and apps platform.

Points that have been overlooked:

1) Single chip PCs are coming with internal and/or external PCIe/Hypertransport like ports which double as LAN ports (10Gb/sec).
2) 2016 Comcast will start the move to Docsis 3.1 and will offer 2 Gb/sec internet on both fiber and hybrid fiber last mile copper.
3) The connected home is nearly here
4) PCs will move to the livingroom as TVs move to higher resolutions, the user interface gets easier to use and more must have features are incorporated into it. Andrid L and Windows 10 support TVs and websites are moving to TV UIs.

The features offered by Consoles (XB1 and PS4) as well as PCs will make them very attractive...AMD is counting on this for the PC market. Very easy to use and setup in the home for Consoles and PCs.

It starts with Games and DLNA then secure certified DLNA with embedded DRM = Vidipath (DLNA CVP2). Vidipath allows media and more to be shared securely over a home network. Network connected blu-ray players and Cable TV DVRs will share media over the home network. It starts late 2015 with the PS4 and XB1 which will be Vidipath Blu-ray servers over the home network and more). By 2017+ Cable is 2Gb+/sec and Cable TV DVRs are phased out in favor of Cable modem served IPTV...RF cable TV channels are phased out in blocks of 20+ channel where the bandwidth is used by DOCSIS 3.1 cable modems.

This is the world wide plan I've already documented here on NeoGAF and Simiaccurate. PCs have a part to play and is why AMD APUs and dGPUs are evolving to secure SoCs with ARM Trustzone processors.

The future. I'm already using 8.1 to work on a 65 inch 4k from the comfort of my couch - can't wait for windows 10!

Fisty

The only problem i see with this is expecting the average consumer to build their own PC, or forking out the cash for a pre-built (overpriced) solution. Hell I would abandon PS hardware if someone put out a better product for a fair price that played PS games along with the full PC experience. I just dont see that happening.

Sydle

Pretty funny to actually wonder how they got there--they spent around 100M on controller research alone. If I have to take the word of a platform holder on something like this vs a swath of folks online, I'll take the platform holder, because otherwise it would be in the product. BC being important to the mass market simply isn't true. I'll answer your second question with a different one, if it's so important, why didn't the current market leader bother including it? They did last time to great lengths.

Because the tiny niche of folks that want to play the older titles will pay for it--maybe not a lot, but most folks aren't hopping on to play U2 over Bloodborne. They're playing and buying FIFA/CoD every year.

Sony said they're working on ways to bring their back catalog forward. They said it is important to them as of the beginning of this generation, but they have to come up with a different approach (PS Now) since they are working on a different architecture. They were very upfront about it. Nintendo's said as much about their outlook on their next generation of technology. Microsoft is working on a solution as well.

If it was too small, people maintaining their digital libraries, then it wouldn't be worked on at all. But if the console manufacturers want to retain people over generational leaps they're going to have to create ways to allow people to keep their investments accessible.

You mean the same manufacturers that make PCs and Gaming PCs? Yes, the context is that they made a variety of machines that haven't driven adoption of anything. There's a monster gaming PC downstairs and I'm typing on one of 2 gaming laptops in my house. Guess what you won't find in here? Steam machine.

Like I said, I believe those machines are the beginning, a sign of things to come. It's just another data point among several in reading market trends to guess where it may be going. It's proof that PCs can be package like consoles, which is what I think Sony and MS are going to continue inching closer to.

Your particular setup means nothing to me and it's silly that you used it to make a point.

Infrastructure is a big problem. This is the main hurdle, it's not dancing around the growth of to say that the differences in download speed across regions of the country are a larger hindrance than the desire to simply download something and be done with it. Half of my collection is digital, but that's also because I have 300/30 and no bandwidth caps. Everyone can't say the same, especially in the EU.

Great, you're not just bringing up random indefensible points to derail the conversation. Now how about you address my point.

What are the implications of it growing? I proposed that as it grows platform holders are going to have to provide a way for people to carry their libraries across generations. I've said it several times now and you keep ignoring it to focus on some other aspect. You either believe that console manufacturers will NOT provide a solution for backwards and forwards compatibility, or you simply don't want to acknowledge it because it weakens your argument.

I misread that, but the growing variety of preferences? Not so much. The way console platforms reach that audience is to simply bring the content over vs making different version of hardware.

I disagree that's the way it will go. I think there will be more choices of devices in the future, not less.

No. Your position from the start has been tethered to an enthusiast viewpoint, while ignoring the larger market realities.
There is nothing to suggest that anyone wants an upgradeable console of any kind--the complete opposite is true, and this is no opinion.
You've also ignored the cost and platform portion and have yet to explain why this actually makes sense for a mass market and not enthusiast one.
People like the current set-up for a reason.

I'm ignoring the larger market realities? You've skirted around all the facts I've provided in terms of console manufacturers and developers settling on architectures that consolidate development into PC pipelines, that PC gaming is growing, that consoles continue to be more PC like in nature, that consoles are no longer the center of attention when it comes to advancements in the industry consoles are getting outclassed earlier, that the industry is growing around consoles, and more. If you don't want to address those then simply don't reply, because redirecting it to other random points has accomplished nothing.

I don't want an upgradeable console either. Where did you get that from? I have an opinion on it (it's not favorable), but that's neither here nor there. I don't understand why you keep inserting these kinds of things into the discussion.

I ignored your platform portion because it's not what I was suggesting, you were misreading what I wrote and making stuff up, which you've done several times. I'm not going to respond to every random insertion you make unless it is in response to something I said.

I did not suggest that Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft are going to give up their platforms. I think they're going to expand their platforms to multiple devices, encompassing a range of performance, and get their games to more people. I already pointed to cases like PS Now reaching multiple Sony technologies including Blu-ray and TV, cross development of PS4 and PS Vita, Nintendo Virtual Console, Nintendo's talks about consolidating their development studios on a single platform, and everything MS has said about moving to Universal Windows Apps. You'll have to excuse me if those data points are far more convincing that common development platforms, as well as backwards and forwards compatibility that comes with it, are on the horizon than take the word of some random on a message board telling me "nobody wants that." You can't whisk those facts away.

I addressed the cost already, but I'll repeat it. I don't see why Sony, MS, and Nintendo need to spend billions of dollars on exotic or proprietary tech when A) development has consolidated on a common architecture and B) they can build optimized gaming consoles using existing technology, much like Steam, Nvidia, and Dell are doing. The same economies of scale can be achieved by ordering in mass.

You and I think consoles will evolve in different ways. There's no proof either one of is right because they're just guesses, and obviously we come from two different camps of thought. I'm fine leaving it at that, because I've gained absolutely nothing from your perspective and I've lost any confidence that we'll agree on anything.

Consoles aren't going anywhere. Most people have shit computers with integrated graphics cards that can run some 2D indie games or 5 yr old titles at 720p and 30fps at best.

Top Bottom