• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Diofield Chronicle by Square Enix will launch on September 22

It was praised but when it first came on PS4 people barely talking about it, Punished Miku Punished Miku knows what I went through in GAF!
ness-end-this-suffering-mother2earthbound-super-smash-bros.gif
1D1UsW2.gif

My only question is whether the story is good. Is it? (And i means good, not serviceable)

13 Sentinels is awesome.

You're asking a subjective question. The story is "good" but not great, that's *my* opinion. If you like political intrigue, warring factions, subterfuge, ulterior motives etc then you'll enjoy it. It's more the characters and their motivations that keep you invested and move the plot forward, there are some fun twists and the cast is uniformly great.

13 Sentinels has a much more intricate story with a lot of depth (though with the typical campy, mostly shite voice acting I mentioned in a previous post), it's also a completely different game and there is zero reason why we should be talking about it in this thread.

EDMIX

Sorry if I cause to derail the thread, my point was that unfortunately niche games gets way less talked about in GAF.

Agreed.

All that simply reflects that even among the most hardcore, these types of games are very niche. This is why I've stated for a long time that Steam, PSN, XBL etc need some sort of badge system where someone beating the game, giving it a score and the numbers of perfect scores will make it achievable to get some badge on the store or something can help consumers know were those diamonds in the rough are. I'm sure this is a great game too, but we've seen some great games get lost in the shuffle before.

Nier Automata came out in a year where it was just onslaught of megatons. Resident Evil 7, Persona 5, Horizon Zero Dawn, AC Origins, Mario Odyssey, BoTW etc.

Its a great game, that simply came out at a time where mega tons also released too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

EDMIX

You mean the English dub? These games are meant to be played in their original language.

I don't know if I'd say all that, this game is based on a whole fictional thing. There is no excuse for how bad the English dub is in some of those games. Sir, I might prefer the Japanese dub for language learning stuff or personally liking it, but I can't say bad English dub is some intently, purposeful thing to some how help the game or something.

In this day and age, there really isn't a reason for how bad some of those dubs are lol

You mean the English dub? These games are meant to be played in their original language.
"Meant" to be played? No, they are "meant" to be played however the player chooses to play them. Thanks for your input but I've lived in Japan over a decade, speak the language fluently, Japanese voice work is more often than not shit too but people who don't know the language simply don't know any better (in other words, you?) and think "woooow! This person screeching at the top of their lungs is top tier stuff!!!". No, it isn't.

Some Japanese games are undoubtedly better in Japanese, (I can't imagine playing any of the Yakuza/Judgement games in English) but don't be mystified by what you don't understand, the Japanese can be just as bad if not *worse*.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
"Meant" to be played? No, they are "meant" to be played however the player chooses to play them. Thanks for your input but I've lived in Japan over a decade, speak the language fluently, Japanese voice work is more often than not shit too but people who don't know the language simply don't know any better (in other words, you?) and think "woooow! This person screeching at the top of their lungs is top tier stuff!!!". No, it isn't.

Some Japanese games are undoubtedly better in Japanese, (I can't imagine playing any of the Yakuza/Judgement games in English) but don't be mystified by what you don't understand, the Japanese can be just as bad if not *worse*.

Sure but it was made in Japan by Japanese people, even not taking the quality in account, it is the original language. You can choose whatever but I don't get why you would choose a bad dub.

I agree tho that not understanding it often helps being less annoyed by the quality or repetition of voices, best example would be the battle quips in games like the Tales series. I would go insane if I played that in English I think.

What I don't get tho, is why you have to be such a condescending asshole about it?

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
Sure but it was made in Japan by Japanese people, even not taking the quality in account, it is the original language. You can choose whatever but I don't get why you would choose a bad dub.

I agree tho that not understanding it often helps being less annoyed by the quality or repetition of voices, best example would be the battle quips in games like the Tales series. I would go insane if I played that in English I think.

What I don't get tho, is why you have to be such a condescending asshole about it?
There are many ways to be a condescending asshole, that was not one of them.

People will disagree with you, no reason to bite their head off for it.

kurisu_1974

There are many ways to be a condescending asshole, that was not one of them.

People will disagree with you, no reason to bite their head off for it.

I was not responding to you tho. Read the other's guy's reply again. I'm the guy that simply doesn't know better in his story (while that wasn't even the point of my response).

No reason to backseat moderate either.

Last edited:

What I don't get tho, is why you have to be such a condescending asshole about it.
Oh sweetheart, I simply act as a mirror. You came off as a pontificating douchebag telling people how games are "meant to be played" without even being aware of your own ignorance, is that edifying enough for you?

Back on topic, being "made by Japanese" is less relevant vs back in the day where it might take *years* to get a localization. Now games normally get a simultaneous worldwide release, localization teams working in tandem with the devs throught the development cycle and the devs themselves creating with a worldwide audience in mind. A lot of the "Japanese" games are directly inspired by European art, history and culture and the characters themselves are more often than not *not* Japanese.

I can't imagine anything more immersion breaking than playing a game like Diofield, with it's "European" characters and world most closely analogous to Europe with characters yelling in over-exaggerared Japanese, Jesus Christ. Now, if someone chooses to play that way more power to them, I won't judge and I *definitely* won't talk out of my ass pontificating about how the game is "meant to played".

As a final note we should hope to see cultures inspired by other cultures and creating works based on those cultures. It's how we got something as wonderful as Ghost of Tsushima, made in America and loved all over, including Japan. Play it in Japanese or play it in English, play it however the fuck you want to play it.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

Act as a mirror lol. How can a douche be so full of lukewarm water? It's a fucking Japanese game written in Japanese, I don't care how someone prefers playing it, but it wasn't conceived in English I'm sure. Anyaway enjoy this fun lighthearted thread, I'll just enjoy the game in it's original form, idiot that I am.

EDMIX

Sure but it was made in Japan by Japanese people,
but the content itself has little to nothing to do with Japan.

Why would that support bad voice acting for English dub?

It's a fucking Japanese game written in Japanese

ok....why would that support a bad english dub?

You can prefer something a certain way and I don't even disagree with you as I prefer the Japanese dub myself, but that doesn't make it ok or justify having low quality or bad dubs in other languages.

So the excuse that its "written in Japanese" doesn't support that its core content has little to nothing to actually do in Japan, shit one could argue they should consider taking the English dub seriously as its art direction and core idea literally is that of something from the west

capsule_616x353.jpg

sir, with all do respect, that is like saying Metal Gear Solid shouldn't have quality voice actors like Troy Baker, David Hayter, Keith Sutherland etc as well....its "written in Japanese" or "its made in Japan" lol

Its a horrid excuse for bad quality if other creators from the east can clearly have ace voice acting in English.

Stop making excuses for theses guys.... Keep in mind, this isn't about what you personally prefer or even myself, this is merely pointing out that the origin of the content isn't an excuse for bad quality.

Last edited:

Graciaus

This just came out at a bad time. This is what I've bought/preordered on PC in the last couple weeks in just JRPGs alone.

OCTOPATH TRAVELER II
TRIANGLE STRATEGY
STAR OCEAN THE DIVINE FORCE
Tactics Ogre: Reborn
Soul Hackers 2
Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song - Remastered

Not even including the ones I can't buy yet that I will

The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero
Persona 5 Royal
Monochrome Mobius: Rights and Wrongs Forgotten

Raven117

You're asking a subjective question. The story is "good" but not great, that's *my* opinion. If you like political intrigue, warring factions, subterfuge, ulterior motives etc then you'll enjoy it. It's more the characters and their motivations that keep you invested and move the plot forward, there are some fun twists and the cast is uniformly great.

13 Sentinels has a much more intricate story with a lot of depth (though with the typical campy, mostly shite voice acting I mentioned in a previous post), it's also a completely different game and there is zero reason why we should be talking about it in this thread.
Of course story is subjective, but having a wide range of folks give an opinion Can give an indication of whether I may like it. I don’t have a lot of time nowadays to slog through a 40 hour game (I don’t drop games…)

Especially with tactics ogre coming out soon..

This just came out at a bad time. This is what I've bought/preordered on PC in the last couple weeks in just JRPGs alone.

OCTOPATH TRAVELER II
TRIANGLE STRATEGY
STAR OCEAN THE DIVINE FORCE
Tactics Ogre: Reborn
Soul Hackers 2
Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song - Remastered

Not even including the ones I can't buy yet that I will

The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero
Persona 5 Royal
Monochrome Mobius: Rights and Wrongs Forgotten
This so much.

There are so many RPGs that I have to choose which to buy and which to abandon or save for later. I haven't played Triangle Strategy in a long while, especially after Xenoblade Chronicles 3 came out. I missed out on Live-A-Live, Chrono Cross remaster, and Soul Hackers 2, and will have to give up Star Ocean, Valkyrie Elysium and probably Romancing SaGa as well. If I had all the time in the world I'd play every single one of these games, but unfortunately it looks like I'll pass on Diofield as well, despite the battle system making it stand out from other games.

tmlDan

So i platinumed this game, and this is my review.

Pros:
- New take on strategy combat that is in semi real time combat, I love the map and battle log and how it looks from a design perspective
- The story is decent and you get pretty good backstory for most characters with side quests to help them out
- The game has good length and an interesting premise with lots of (albeit confusing with how it was presented) lore.

Cons:
- Combat isn't varied enough to keep you engaged, i did play a lot of it but most of it felt monotonous and like i was passing the time
- There are a lot of times where they say "I came up with the perfect strategy, lets flank the leader", and unlike Valkyria Chronicles there is no real strategy. Most of the time its just, kill all these guys and you win.
- Enemy variety is also very very poor, there are only a few types and then they're in diff colors depending on the faction.
- The "Bosses" are huge disappointments, its just a guy or girl with multiple health bars and slightly, very easy to dodge or avoid, abilities. Nothing cool or exciting given some characters abilities in the story

The most aggravating part of the game is that it could have been amazing with some small decisions and considerations that keep the player engaged cause the base is actually quite fun.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
Started last weekend and now on chapter 4. I like the game although I do agree with pretty much all of the points the post above me makes.

It's a solid 6/10 game but with a little more effort it couldve been a 8/10.

I’ve found myself surprised how I’ve had to replay missions in order to grind my team up enough to take on missions even in Chapter 1.

I really do adore this game so far though. It’s fairly straightforward, I love how missions give bonuses on how fast you complete them. Each romp is quickly replayable and I’ve enjoyed going back to collect treasure chests or objectives I missed the first time around for rewards. It’s very quick and snappy to do anything. You can fast travel in the very small base camp. Everything is a fast click away with barely any load time.

I’ve gotten the hang of combat, find myself “fast forwarding” through the combat time, hitting the special attacks quickly, and hitting status effects on point to reduce the advance of enemies or a stun to stop powerful attacks.

I wish there was more of a discourse about this game here. It’s far from perfect but I’m very happy I picked it up.

I love how Square is hitting for the fences with many mid level budget type games that try new things.

I can’t say I’ve played a game like this before and that’s the best part.

I don’t need a high aggregate review score to have a good time. This games awesome.

Top Bottom