• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division beta pushed back, Xbox One Alpha test Dec 9-12

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Considering its a direct capture from the E3 2013 trailer, how about no. In case you are not familiar with Ubi's marketing practices, it has a well established habit of misrepresenting their games in trailers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7nfIu4Jo0g
Why you comparing the pc build to the alpha of the xb1 build?

Yeah, it clearly worked out that way with Watch Dogs.....oops again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_A6Z3gkXlk
And then this disingenuous comparison, you really that going crossgen was the cause of WD's downgrade right? It could looked incredibly similar if not identical to that first trailer, (performance probably wouldn't have been as good on consoles however), if they also didn't have to make it for last gen consoles. I mean, ffs, Ubi released Unity and FC4 last year.

Lvl 8
Lvl 12 I think for darkzone rank

Okay, thanks. So off that, how do you actually get to the Darkzone? I see it pop up on my quest/ hint UI but don't actually see a place to go on the map very clearly.

My only concern after 12 hours of playing the game is the map size.

Wow, 12 hours already? Jeez. Do you mean the map in the Alpha or the general map size you can see when you zoom out? "Cause obviously where you can go to in the Alpha is pretty confined, even the underground areas on the map highlighted can't seem to go to, there could be a whole load of stuff under there.

By the way....

I shoot all these dudes...yet...zero blood?

Better not be the case in the full game. I hate that kind of shit in gaming and is absolutely unecessary.

Literally how, after all this talk of the NDA, do people think this is a good idea? Baffling.

Honestly, its pretty retarded of Ubi and the Devs to think that something wouldn't get out or people wouldn't talk about it when they are doing an Alpha test for players. IT makes no sense.

Theorry

Wow, 12 hours already? Jeez. Do you mean the map in the Alpha or the general map size you can see when you zoom out? "Cause obviously where you can go to in the Alpha is pretty confined, even the underground areas on the map highlighted can't seem to go to, there could be a whole load of stuff under there.

When you zoom out. I hope that that out of bounds sections is also in the game at the end. Because only Manhattan would be abit to small for me. And i dont see any bridges going anywhere. Wich makes me worried.

Honestly, its pretty retarded of Ubi and the Devs to think that something wouldn't get out or people wouldn't talk about it when they are doing an Alpha test for players. IT makes no sense.

I think they put the NDA in place to limit the amount of exposure. They know they won't get everything, but they would rather reduce the amount that gets discussed. This is a build to test gameplay and how their server handles people moving in and out of the darkzones and freeplay. Its seamless and this is the biggest hurdle. They are limiting the map and other stuff so that they can control the variability of the testing platform and more accurately assess changes that need to be made.

They know that with no NDA you will see swaths of people like Lord of War just coming in to shit on the game when they know its not the point of the test. There will be a public beta soon anyway. This Alpha is to test some stuff before they go live with the beta.

EL CUCO

This is an always online game similar to Destiny, right? That'll probably be the biggest concern for me with how spotty Uplay can be.

Blood is absolutely unnecessary.

Really?

The game is fairly realistic and it only adds to realism to show blood. You pump these rioters and other no goods full of lead and you don't see a single sign of blood...ridiculous. It only adds to the overall experience and realism to add blood effects and also bullet holes. Hitman Codename 47 had all that and then all of a sudden they decided to keep out bullet holes. I find that kind of stuff unfortunete.

Or for example if blood would be removed from most games....unnecessary? Hell no.

shandy706

This is an always online game similar to Destiny, right? That'll probably be the biggest concern for me with how spotty Uplay can be.

Yeah, that's my one concern.

Are they not using MS's dedis for the X1??

Also..on the resolution, I think it's dynamic/adaptive.

Has anyone else had trouble with getting a black screen after the welcome to The Division Alpha screen with the guy in gas mask with a flame thrower?

I've gotten the game to actually go to the screen to accept nda where you scroll down to accept 2 times so far, well actually 3, just got it to a bit ago but got a Mike error when it finally went to connect.

I contacted Ubisoft or whoever it was and he couldn't help. We went through a few things that I've already done multiple times like hard resets unhooked kinect deleted and redownloaded and installed game and still can't get it fixed. So I'm just wondering if anyone has had this problem and found a fix for it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

When you zoom out. I hope that that out of bounds sections is also in the game at the end. Because only Manhattan would be abit to small for me. And i dont see any bridges going anywhere. Wich makes me worried.

Manhattan is actually huge. Its 34 square miles. From what I remember the game expands down into Brooklyn.

If you dig into the levels of the out of bounds sections of the game you will see that there are very large areas that are not really high levels which makes me believe that there is a lot of space. They restricted the alpha size so they could control it.

The key is density and the map is very dense FO4 is huge, but lots of open space. This is a really accurate depiction of manhattan. I can figure out where to go based on actually knowing the areas.

Akronis

Really?

The game is fairly realistic and it only adds to realism to show blood. You pump these rioters and other no goods full of lead and you don't see a single sign of blood...ridiculous. It only adds to the overall experience and realism to add blood effects and also bullet holes. Hitman Codename 47 had all that and then all of a sudden they decided to keep out bullet holes. I find that kind of stuff unfortunete.

Or for example if blood would be removed from most games....unnecessary? Hell no.

I definitely think it adds. Lots of persistent decals are the best.

I'm sure it's just an alpha thing. It'd be weird if they didn't have any sort of blood in the full game.

oti

Banned
Really?

You shoot people in the face and a bunch of numbers fly off their dead bodies...

I should also add that I grew up in Germany and blood was a big Nein in the past for the USK. I never miss it.

So does this game rely heavily on the party mechanics and MMO-esque progression/class systems or can you play it like a third person shooter with added loot/gear? This game really interests me but I'm not looking for another Destiny or MMO style game like that.

dex3108

Doing Alpha/Beta testing outside of controlled environment and expecting no leaks in 2015. (almost 2016.) is stupid in my opinion. Yes you can go and catch people who did it and then punish them because they haven't read ToS or decided to break ToS rules but in the end it is pointless.

Theorry

Manhattan is actually huge. Its 34 square miles. From what I remember the game expands down into Brooklyn.

If you dig into the levels of the out of bounds sections of the game you will see that there are very large areas that are not really high levels which makes me believe that there is a lot of space. They restricted the alpha size so they could control it.

The key is density and the map is very dense FO4 is huge, but lots of open space. This is a really accurate depiction of manhattan. I can figure out where to go based on actually knowing the areas.

Talking more about the out of bounds on the west and east. Over the river. I dont think we can go there in the final game because i dont see any bridges also on the map and they said a while back they made the map smaller i believe. Talking about the south of the manhattan wich now says out of bounds i think we can go there in the final game. Even see some buildings

Really?

I was thinking this too. Where the hell is all the blood?

I mean the game is practically covered in white snow... it's just BEGGING for some paint! Ubi, get some of your co-workers from R6:Siege to come over and fix this for you ;P

Fuck, while they're at it... have the guys from GhostRecond:Wildlands stop by and give you all a proper camera/weapon firing solution. Hip fire wonky 3rd person crossharis with first person ADS on marksman scopes only is not adequate this day and age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njfj6KwEAfg&oref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dnjfj6KwEAfg&has_verified=1

I dont know about you, but this is that e3 2013 reveal. Yes it looks better ( character models ) but overall they hit their mark within reason.

Damn....it actually looks quite close indeed. In my head i honestly thought the reveal trailer looked much much better than the alpha. But as you said, probably only the character model is better looking there. And i'd say it looks significantly clearer/crisper there too.

I definitely think it adds. Lots of persistent decals are the best.

I'm sure it's just an alpha thing. It'd be weird if they didn't have any sort of blood in the full game.

Exactly man. I love how that is in GTA V for example. Gun down a civ or a baddy and it can look real brutal and...messy. I hate how some movies are PG13 and thus lack any real blood. Didn't Watch_Dogs have both blood and also bullet holes?

You shoot people in the face and a bunch of numbers fly off their dead bodies...

I should also add that I grew up in Germany and blood was a big Nein in the past for the USK. I never miss it.

Good point. Another thing i don't really dig, but blood is necessary. That being said, what you said about blood being a big no in Germany, yeah i can see how you would get used to that.

I was thinking this too. Where the hell is all the blood?

I mean the game is practically covered in white snow... it's just BEGGING for some paint! Ubi, get some of your co-workers from R6:Siege to come over and fix this for you ;P

Fuck, while they're at it... have the guys from GhostRecond:Wildlands stop by and give you all a proper camera/weapon firing solution. Hip fire wonky 3rd person crossharis with first person ADS on marksman scopes only is not adequate this day and age.

Exactly man, you've said it. With all this snow...it indeed is begging for some of that lovely ketchup, haha. Imagine how awesome it could actually be, enemies getting hit and leaving blood trails/drops and the same for your character? Not that this is going to happen though. Realistic looking blood would be great, not that terribly fake red paint from Siege though. Damn.

oti

Banned
I REALLY hope the PC version will be well optimized. I want the best performance I can get for this game (within the limits of three platform I own).

Talking more about the out of bounds on the west and east. Over the river. I dont think we can go there in the final game because i dont see any bridges also on the map and they said a while back they made the map smaller i believe. Talking about the south of the manhattan wich now says out of bounds i think we can go there in the final game. Even see some buildings

Ah never heard the comment about making it smaller. Easiest way to to that is knock out a borough.

Blood and gore isn't necessary. It doesn't bother me when it's in but it doesn't bother me when it isn't either. Immersion isn't an argument that I feel is particularly strong considering it's MMO style health bars and damage numbers with an in-lore floating VR style UI.

Exactly man, you've said it. With all this snow...it indeed is begging for some of that lovely ketchup, haha. Imagine how awesome it could actually be, enemies getting hit and leaving blood trails/drops and the same for your character? Not that this is going to happen though. Realistic looking blood would be great, not that terribly fake red paint from Siege though. Damn.

I dig it! They've mentioned that the amount and splatter is intended but there is an issue making the color that bright neon-red that they will be addressing in an update. Some nice dark red/black at night blood with trails would have been awesome!

Hell, i can just imagine this game in first person more in the Tom Clancy style with 1-2 bullet deaths... fewer enemies as a result but far more tense and realistic... everyone super cautious and reluctant as anyone anywhere could put you down with one bullet... enemies and players alike leaving bloody trails in the snow for you to follow... people constantly turning around (only first person, remember you lose all that fake peripheral vision third person gives a player) to check their perimeters... people are nervous and shit scared constantly... big loot rewards with a properly foreboding Darkzone... not the romper room it is now in the Alpha.

God i wish it went that way... less techno, cover, third person wack-a-mole RPG-shooter and more... dark, gritty, realistic, first person MMO.

Gaz_RB

I really want to love this game, but I just can't do the bullet sponge thing in a game like this. In something like Destiny or an MMO where I'm fighting aliens or monsters is one thing, but it just feels wrong to me in this. It's not really what I want out of a Tom Clancy game. Kind of sad because I really like the concept and the gameplay is fun.

my man! sending pm

Awesome thanks! Lock and Load!
cat-gun-o.gif

I really want to love this game, but I just can't do the bullet sponge thing in a game like this. In something like Destiny or an MMO where I'm fighting aliens or monsters is one thing, but it just feels wrong to me in this. It's not really what I want out of a Tom Clancy game. Kind of sad because I really like the concept and the gameplay is fun.

Ah, so it sounds like the enemies and players and stuff are kind of bullet-spongy like in Halo or whatever? There goes my interest. The concept really drew me in but I was really hoping it wasn't going to have that MMO-style combat.

Ah, so it sounds like the enemies and players and stuff are kind of bullet-spongy like in Halo or whatever? There goes my interest. The concept really drew me in but I was really hoping it wasn't going to have that MMO-style combat.

WAY more than Halo...

Edit: deleted not sure if could post NDA and all

I dig it! They've mentioned that the amount and splatter is intended but there is an issue making the color that bright neon-red that they will be addressing in an update. Some nice dark red/black at night blood with trails would have been awesome!

Hell, i can just imagine this game in first person more in the Tom Clancy style with 1-2 bullet deaths... fewer enemies as a result but far more tense and realistic... everyone super cautious and reluctant as anyone anywhere could put you done with one bullet... enemies and players alike leaving bloody trails in the snow for you to follow... people constantly turning around (first person remember) to check their perimeters... people nervous and shit scared constantly... big loot rewards with a properly foreboding Darkzone... not the romper room it is now in the Alpha.

Oh hell yes, this i like very much. Less bullets to kill dudes. Not a bad idea at all. Not digging it how many bullets these enemies can take. Looks off. Makes sense for the MMO thing i guess maybe?

The fact though that in no video so far we've seen blood.....worries me. Maybe i should go onto the Ubi alpha forums and make a thread that blood is a must.

Makikou

Everything about gear, weapons, health is MMO-like. It wants to be like that. If you don't like it, don't bother w/ the game.

It almost feels like they played MMO games and timed their time-to-kill according to MMORPG's.

Gaz_RB

Yup, complete with health bars and damage numbers. Sort of the way things go when you have leveled loot/weapons. Sad to see they couldn't find some way to do the MMO loot thing while still keeping the psuedo-realistic tactical combat Tom Clancy games are known for.

Oh hell yes, this i like very much. Less bullets to kill dudes. Not a bad idea at all. Not digging it how many bullets these enemies can take. Looks off. Makes sense for the MMO thing i guess maybe?

The fact though that in no video so far we've seen blood.....worries me. Maybe i should go onto the Ubi alpha forums and make a thread that blood is a must.

Do it... i'll find it and agree over there in that post too lol.

Do it... i'll find it and agree over there in that post too lol.

Going to do that now.

By the way...

There is blood in this. We do see some dead NPC's on the great outside of their car or just lying on the street and there's blood next to their bodies. More of that, much more.

Hell, i can just imagine this game in first person more in the Tom Clancy style with 1-2 bullet deaths... fewer enemies as a result but far more tense and realistic... everyone super cautious and reluctant as anyone anywhere could put you down with one bullet... enemies and players alike leaving bloody trails in the snow for you to follow... people constantly turning around (only first person, remember you lose all that fake peripheral vision third person gives a player) to check their perimeters... people are nervous and shit scared constantly... big loot rewards with a properly foreboding Darkzone... not the romper room it is now in the Alpha.

God i wish it went that way... less techno, cover, third person wack-a-mole RPG-shooter and more... dark, gritty, realistic, first person MMO.

Oh forgot to mention. I remember in the Rainbow Six of old, when it was still PC. I believe Raven Shield. You'd hit a tango in his arm, he'd have worse aim and vice vera. Hit him in the leg and he'd start to walk with a limp. All that was gone in later games. A goddamn shame, cause exactly that kind of shit would be great for this. Siege doesn't have it either.

Dude, I'm starting to think somethings wrong with you...

Then you reallly misunderstand me and don't get my point. I was only saying that there is some blood in this game. And that blood looks realistic i guess, so if they could add that to when you kill enemies, that would not be a bad thing. That is what i meant with ''more of that, much more.'' nothing else. Long story short, why add blood at all next to dead NPC's but not when killing enemies? I just want Ubi to add that.

Trust me, nothing wrong with me.

oti

Banned
I didn't like Destiny....didn't get past the beta..

I'm liking this...not sure why I like it more. More grounded maybe? (shrug)

I mean, there is a subtle difference between "Wizzard warriors of light fighting against evil darkness aliens on Mars" and post apocalyptic New York.

Top Bottom