• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division movie to star Jessica Chastain and Jake Gyllenhaal

Nibel

The Division is coming to the big screen, and no, we’re not talking about that time you ran the Falcon Lost Incursion on your buddy’s projector. The battle to restore order to Manhattan is being made into a movie by Ubisoft Motion Pictures, and will star Jessica Chastain (Interstellar, Zero Dark Thirty) and Jake Gyllenhaal (End of Watch, Nightcrawler).

In addition to starring in the film, both Chastain and Gyllenhaal will be a part of the development process through their production companies, Freckle Films and Nine Stories, respectively. The pandemic-stricken streets of The Division are filled with countless stories of love, loss, treachery, and heroism, but we’ll have to wait to find out what avenues the film will explore.

The Division is the latest Ubisoft property to join the Ubisoft Motion Picture production line-up. Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, Watch Dogs, and Rabbids movies are all in development, and of course, Assassin’s Creed starring Michael Fassbender will be released this winter on December 21st. For more on The Division, check out these articles on the UbiBlog:

Source (Ubi blog)

Penguin

I mean they got the talent... but surface levels... I don't know what about this property makes it an interest to mine for the big-screen.

Heck based off the name wouldn't even think based off anything

theWB27

The premise can make for a great movie. Wouldn't mind seeing an empty new York. Unless they go with the initial breakout.

This is definitely the easiest "video game" movie to make. I bet you over 99% of people wont even know this is based on a video game when it comes out. I hope its good though.

Lets hope Konami doesn't get any ideas.

There's been a Metal Gear script bouncing around Hollywood for a decade or more. Last I heard the guy who's doing the new King Kong movie is(was?) set to direct. Even Paul fuckin Thomas Anderson was set to direct at one point, can't imagine what that would have been like.

blakep267

Who gets to shoot thugs for the first 40 mins of the movie. Then blue collar workers, and finally the government.
They probably would have to tone that down do to what's been happening lately. I'd expect the main adversary to be the rogue agents and maybe the last man battalion

Auctopus

Jakey's my favourite actor and he's been on a decent string of films. Was hoping he'd land a Marvel role sooner or later, I really hope this film doesn't sink him. Chastain being involved might be a good thing.

Protome

The division is an easy adaptation and is probably gonna be a solid movie just by the games plot.

I'm not sure a plot of "US Government sends in soldiers to gun down civilians in a plague-ridden New York" is really culturally sensitive at the moment.

spekkeh

Banned
This is even more baffling to me than Fassbender starring Assassin's Creed.

What the hell kind of pull does Ubisoft have over actually good actors? Did Aiden Pearce hack their iCloud photo stream?

I'm not sure a plot of "US Government sends in soldiers to gun down civilians in a plague-ridden New York" is really culturally sensitive at the moment.

Yeah. I didn't play the game because of this. I don't get how they looked at this and thought it would be a good premise for a movie. Obviously they could make changes but Idk

This is even more baffling to me than Fassbender starring Assassin's Creed.

What the hell kind of pull does Ubisoft have over actually good actors? Did Aiden Pearce hack their iCloud photo stream?

Jake must have a buddy at Ubisoft since he was also the Prince of Persia. I can't explain why Jessica Chastain would be interested in this, though.

Sethista

damm it and the bioshock movie which has a script, was already budgeted and has a hollywood heavy hitter backing it in nowhere to be seen. When is 2K going to jump in the bandwagon and support their IPs turning into movies?

inki

I'll watch it. I like the premise after all. Sure it will be an ok - good popcorn summer action flick.

IF it's dark and it's a thriller/horror (a la "The Purge") it could be REAL good.

blakep267

I already posted about this but that's not the games plot. That's Ubisofts stupid way of filler gameplay

The plot would be somebody releases a virus on Black Friday, city gets locked down, the first wave of agents sent in go awol, you have crazies like LMB and the cleaners. JG character would be the second wave to find the virus and what's going on

tilomite!

I'm a little surprised they're going all in before they see how Assassin's Creed does at the box offfice. I'd watch The Division movie.

I really enjoyed the short film they did promoting the game, so I'd be interested in what they could do fleshed out to a feature length - that said, too many "personal stories of lives affected by the tragedy" is not the direction it should go.

AHA-Lambda

giphy.gif

I really like both of them. Jake is one of the most underrated actors out there. But I have some negative emotions towards the Division and I'm not sure how great a film it would make if it followed the games story. Pretty weak.

I really like both of them. Jake is one of the most underrated actors out there. But I have some negative emotions towards the Division and I'm not sure how great a film it would make if it followed the games story. Pretty weak.
Nightcrawler is one of the best movies in the past couple yrs

Simo

The division is an easy adaptation and is probably gonna be a solid movie just by the games plot.

Agreed. My thoughts on the game itself aside, the story would make for a interesting movie and the 2 leads attached to the project are terrific actors so I'm interested.

I also just learned about the Deus Ex movie and the writers attached. o_O It has me hopeful for that one too!

Top Bottom