• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division movie to star Jessica Chastain and Jake Gyllenhaal

I really like both of them. Jake is one of the most underrated actors out there. But I have some negative emotions towards the Division and I'm not sure how great a film it would make if it followed the games story. Pretty weak.

There's not really a story to adhere to though, the setting is interesting but it's not like there's any characters that MUST be in the movie or anything, they can pretty much tell whatever story they want to with little baggage.

I'd be surprised if much of anything outside of the black friday virus origin even makes it into the movie, certainly don't think we'll be seeing Jake wear tacky orange LED's all over his gear for no apparent reason.

Sayad

What's The Division's version of Watch Dogs' Aiden Pearce iconic Jacket? Anything people would see and go "cool I know this from that game, should probably go see this movie"?

Newlove

What the hell kind of pull does Ubisoft have over actually good actors? Did Aiden Pearce hack their iCloud photo stream?

They have the money and sales most importantly, and good potential story setups for movies. Also the fact that other than securing actors, the Ubisoft motion picture division are pulling across a lot of behind the camera talent and make sure to retain a good amount of creative control. They must have put together a very strong team in the film division to be doing this well so far.

aku:jiki

What's The Division's version of Watch Dogs' Aiden Pearce iconic Jacket? Anything people would see and go "cool I know this from that game, should probably go see this movie"?
The gas mask, I guess, but it's not exactly unique.

Ubisoft wanted it to be the orange light on your character's back but it didn't take off.

The best part of this movie will be when the 3 actors will be trapped underground the city fighting a tank during 15 minutes while calling for backup.( That will never arrive in time )

So ...many memories of that game

So painfull to remember

They probably should have waited to see what kind of numbers AssCreed was going to put up before making this.

With Jake Gylenhall and Jessica Chastain this movie will automatically break even, even if its really bad. Attractive A-list movie stars sell tickets.

sorry but i'm compelled to watch anything with jake gyllenhaal in even if it's trash

Point proven. Anything with Jessica Chastain in it will likely do well.

Jessica Chastain confirmed for the female commander of The Division?

If they retain the asian character name then fuck hollywood.

Auctopus

East Manhattan, Gyllenhaal skulks through an alley. He gingerly approaches the strangely placed military chest. He pauses momentarily, checking his surroundings before cautiously lifting the lid...

"Fuck. Blue again."

Can't wait to hear Jessica say she wishes she could get back out in the field while Jake stares blankly at her.

lol

Jake's a great actor. Has his career really reached such a low that he's wasting his time on yet another video game adaptation?

Probably that holographic smart watch thing you use to interact with everything.

ryseing

With Jake Gylenhall and Jessica Chastain this movie will automatically break even, even if its really bad. Attractive A-list movie stars sell tickets.

This isn't actually true anymore. Brands have become more important than stars for big budget flicks since the comic book movie wave started.

Jake's a great actor. Has his career really reached such a low that he's wasting his time on yet another video game adaptation?

I think he wants blockbuster $$$ but doesn't want to do the same old comic book thing.

Budi

The game is decent, Gyllenhaal is good, Chastain is one of the best actors working today. Looking forward to this, I really hope movies based on videogames would start being good.

Bishop89

Ubisoft is making six different movies?

And half of them are Tom Clancy's.
red_october_doit.gif

Thats ok. One of the greatest movies of all time is Tom Clancy :)

LiK

Division is a movie that will be hard to fuck up with the premise. It's also pretty grounded so not too hard to adapt.

Iceman

If ubisoft demands creative control then this will either suck, like every video game adaptation, or not happen at all - like what happened recently with DICE and Mirror's Edge, and previously with Halo.

EA has been courting Hollywood creatives for a while on 10 properties but basically saying that they (the video game makers) will have the ultimate say on the content, completely subverting the role of the creative hired guns.

Hollywood is as big an ego minefield as there can be and video game companies are approaching these deals with an attitude of superiority. It's really just creating collaborative quagmires right now - and producing crap products, if anything.

Heh a bit disappointed that they're working on a Rabbids movie before a Rayman one. Gotta chase that Minions money I guess.

I really hope it has them killing people trying to survive in an apocalyptic scenario like in the games just so I can get a laugh. Such a weird game.

This isn't actually true anymore. Brands have become more important than stars for big budget flicks since the comic book movie wave started.

sorry but i'm compelled to watch anything with jake gyllenhaal in even if it's trash

pretty sure godelsmetric and myself aren't the only two people on this planet who will watch a movie simply because an actor or actress they like is in it, regardless of the genre or content. I think Scarlett Johannson is a mediocre actress at best but I'm willing to give most of her movies as shot simply because I think she's beautiful.

i hope in the movie they get their toughness up to 700k and run around in circles around agents and shoot sticky bombs the entire time while making people rage before you kill them

thats A+ quality movie shit right there

Ladekabel

Jake Gyllenhaal is Prince Dastan who has to time travel to the New York of the future to save it from a disease spread through money.

i hope in the movie they get their toughness up to 700k and run around in circles around agents and shoot sticky bombs the entire time while making people rage before you kill them

thats A+ quality movie shit right there

Its a movie about Jake Gyllenhaal going into the underground area, rushing in Leroy Jenkins style and dying within the firsts two minutes of the movie. The next 93.5 minutes is about 3 other people trying to revive his dumb-ass but can't because he died out of cover and right next to a boss. He then quits leaving 3 people to fight a two phase heroic challenge.

RS4-

Jake is in the middle of playing as Fassbender in the AC game when the virus breaks out.

But then you've got to have a movie pass at AMC to find out what happens next.

deoee

The mini series hyped the shit out of me and were REALLY well done.

If the movie is anything like it, I'll love it.

120v

A division movie already? That was fast

I thought the premise was great for an action rpg, but objectively it's kind of ho hum ... they could do some neat things with the different factions but I doubt they will... just Jake g. racing to get the antidote to the professor or something

I "can't wait".

If I'm betting on what will be a successful game to movie transition, The Division probably isn't top of my list. The story isn't particularly original, the interesting part about it is playing in a very well realised setting and the RPGish mechanics. A movie isnt going to capture that at all.

Wonder if Jake will need to shoot enemies a thousand times before they die? Or if the main bad guy dies because of a glitch?

Top Bottom