• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division's Steam player base is way up with new patch, Survival DLC

Deku Tree

Essentially it's a mission mode where your character (and anyone you're grouped with) is dropped into a 24 player instanced area with only basic gear and a pistol.

You have to craft better gear, craft clothes to stay warm, and find survival resources (medicine, food, water) to stay alive while preparing to enter the final area to get a special item and extract. There are some neat bosses in the final parts.

There's a time limit as you're also dying from an infection, and the other players are taking the same resources as you.

You can also play it with PvP enabled for bigger rewards.

At the end, your character is rewarded a variety of loot based on how they did (even if they failed).

It takes maybe an hour tops for a run, though obviously can end much soon if you're doing well or fail.

Can you play in co-op with your friends? And do people try to create 8 player super squads in survival?

So what is the survival dlc? Is it single player? Or does it try to copy the "break a tree to make a gun" nonsense? Sounds interesting tbh..
You can play alone or in a group with or without PVP elements. I tend to play solo without PVP.

Once you understand the mechanics, it becomes fairly linear and predictable -- I've ended my three latest runs with max caches with 22 mins left by focusing on: salvage x materials safely, get your cold resist up enough for the DZ, craft the mission objectives, two skills, a specific gun, call an extraction and burst damage the Hunter before he can heal), but the fact that you're always im danger makes it all way more tense and morr varied than it actually is. I think it's a great addition to the game.

Every firefight becomes potentially life threatening so it really changes the feel of the game. I spend way more time sneaking past mobs now.

I just wish the loot was a bit better. Last time I ended my run with 10 caches to open after 90 mins. I can do that in about 10-15 mins in the DZ.

Essentially it's a mission mode where your character (and anyone you're grouped with) is dropped into a 24 player instanced area with only basic gear and a pistol.

You have to craft better gear, craft clothes to stay warm, and find survival resources (medicine, food, water) to stay alive while preparing to enter the final area to get a special item and extract. There are some neat bosses in the final parts.

There's a time limit as you're also dying from an infection, and the other players are taking the same resources as you.

You can also play it with PvP enabled for bigger rewards.

At the end, your character is rewarded a variety of loot based on how they did (even if they failed).

It takes maybe an hour tops for a run, though obviously can end much soon if you're doing well or fail.

Oh so theres a pve mode? Neat. That sounds like something I would enjoy, an hour run of progressing and then getting done. I should..reinstall Division..

Bruno

My friends and I all have it on Uplay because at launch all the best deals were Uplay codes so I'm really curious to know how large that part of the community is.

Hjod

Banned
I got the Season Pass for PS4 and I kinda miss The Division, maybe I should get back into it when the next DLC is released for PS4.

Is the Survival Mode viable for someone who mostly plays solo?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Can you play in co-op with your friends? And do people try to create 8 player super squads in survival?

You can play co-op, yes, though the more co-op partners you have, the harder it is to gear them all (and keep them alive).

It's the trade-off for the added bonuses of a group.

I had a lot of success with two players, though three was getting trickier.

I got the Season Pass for PS4 and I kinda miss The Division, maybe I should get back into it when the next DLC is released for PS4.

Is the Survival Mode viable for someone who mostly plays solo?
That's how at least half of people seem to play it in my experience.

HowZatOZ

Banned
One of my friends mentioned this last night at my party and it got all of us intrigued. Guess we are going back to The Division.

The DLC delay is basically what killed the game for me on PS4. By the time it came, it seemed everyone had already figured everything out and I just lost motivation.

Now that I haven't touched the game in months, maybe I can treat Survival as its own thing when the rest of us gets access to it.

That sounds like a real problem with a game lile this. Destiny has the shitty one year exclusive stuff at least that doesn't include the raids or the entire DLC

ryseing

This survival thing does sound pretty cool. Might have to give it a look after the holiday.

Season pass somewhat redeemed...?

Bittercup

I'm just upset that I don't have it on Steam and have it through uPlay, and the season pass isn't on sale on uPlay. >.>
Not sure if this is a regional thing, but on the European Ubisoft store the season pass is down 50% for 20€.
You can get 20% discount on top if you have 100 uplay points. At least last time it was on sale the discounts did stack.

it has nothing to do with the new patch...it's because the price of the game has bottomed out and is available for dirt cheap (under $10 here in the USA)

I just bought The Division for exactly this reason. The game was at the "Oh why not give it a try" price.

Btw, I have zero interest in buying any DLC for the game. Maybe I will if I get in the game and it blows me away, but from what I've heard that is not likely to happen.

Is the season pass really that worth it? They've launched 2 out of 3 of the expansions, right?

Honestly, what I really want is just the Underground, and I'm not really into Survival thing. From the look of it, it seems that the third one will be a PvP-centric expansion, which I detest so much in The Division.

Is the Division expected to get more content after The Last Stand? Or is that it?

Highly possible. The Division is perfectly in line with their new 'game as a service' stance.

Arrrammis

The new Survival game mode is great. If it was a standalone game outside of the Division, I think it would easily outdo H1Z1 King of the Kill in terms of that game style. The weather effects, loot collections, objective, and
final stand against absurdly strong CPU-controlled agents
provides a great game mode with lots of different strategies.

And it's the only place you can really get balanced PvP. Dark Zone Rogue penalties suck and gank squads are practically non-existent in Survival, because everyone starts with only a sidearm and you have to go out and engage people in order to get better stuff.

Feel like I really have Survival mode down now. I've been making it to the antivirals with 30-45 minutes left on my infection (plenty of time) and the last extraction I managed was with all 263 gear and with 6 caches. So satisfying! It's fun to play The Division where there's benefits to sneaking past enemies again.

Mostly, I'm trying to figure out my best use of time to inflate my score after I get to the DZ/get the antiviral and craft the flare/weapons I need. It seems easy enough to just bee line it for an extraction, but I haven't scored a Master rank yet. I guess using a food/beverage consumable right before extracting helps the score, as does upping your cold resitance, even if you don't "need" it.

Still wary of facing elites in the DZ during Survival, though - would love to know if there are certain approaches to landmarks that are "safe" as I hate risking 60 minutes of work for a few extra points and a cache when it's fairly easy to extra 6 2 slot caches anyway.

renzolama

I tried to play it on PC, but the long matchmaking times (as expected for a 24 player instance that has to begin simultaneously for all players) combined with the potentially long match times themselves have really turned me off to it. I have to fit my gaming segments into <= 60 minutes at a time or so due to family/work/attention-span, so having to wait 5-15 minutes just for a match to start is really a no-go. If it gives more hardcore PVP players something meaningful to do other than murder PVE players in the dark zone then I'm all for it regardless, that scenario is frustrating and untenable for the people on both sides of it.

I tried to play it on PC, but the long matchmaking times (as expected for a 24 player instance that has to begin simultaneously for all players) combined with the potentially long match times themselves have really turned me off to it. I have to fit my gaming segments into <= 60 minutes at a time or so due to family/work/attention-span, so having to wait 5-15 minutes just for a match to start is really a no-go. If it gives more hardcore PVP players something meaningful to do other than murder PVE players in the dark zone then I'm all for it regardless, that scenario is frustrating and untenable for the people on both sides of it.
Wow. Wait times on Xbox One for me have been like 30 seconds. Yikes.
I'm finding that each run of Survival gets me to the Antivirals quicker. I'm now doing it in about 30 minutes if I want to (though I tend to enjoy looting more instead).

Alex

That survival mode sounds fun. That almost sounds like it should be standalone. There's a big demand for shit like that when it's done right, and not in some half-assed early access model.

Having to grab a 20-30 dollar game and a 40 dollar season pass to play that seems silly. Hell, I'd buy the game now if the season pass wasn't a barrier and I can bet you quite a few of my friends would as well.

TheBear

Played this last night and it was fun, although I felt like playing co-op was more of a hindrance to progress than assistance. Might try it solo tonight, managed to make the darkZone playing coop but my fellow players couldn't make a mask and I got ganked by a named dude as soon as I hit the dz

Deserved. Survival is incredible, and I could see it keeping the game alive for quite a long time, especially if they were to break it off into its own thing and give/sell it separately to people not interested in the main game, although some tweaks/additions would be needed to provide reason for those people to keep playing beyond "it's fun".

Top Bottom