• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion – 10 Years On

lazygecko

I remember being so taken aback by the super low res LoD that I ultimately just decided to turn it off and the game looked and felt better that way, haha. This was not the first time I had seen a distant LoD so the sheer novelty of it did not impress me as much. I'm pretty sure Far Cry from 2004 had a better executed LoD which didn't stick out as much as a sore thumb.
Overall, I would say that Oblivion was an early adopter of many new exciting technologies but it used them in very crude ways with poor execution which was often not for the better. Like Facegen and Radiant AI.

Probably what bothers me most about it today is the really floaty movement and moon gravity affecting all the jumps and physics, which is very difficult to fix even with mods.

But man Radiant AI was a letdown. I get that the NPCs still had schedules but that shit Todd talked about leading up to release was just flat out false.

Ratrat

My first game of last gen. It was indeed mindblowing at the time. The pictures in the op are so different than what I remember.

Roussow

How's it aged? I never played to much of it, and I never really got into it at all. I got into Skyrim when it came out many years later, but I just didn't comprehend a lot of Oblivion at the time. Should I go back?

I remember downloading and watching the daily teaser clips Bethesda released in the 30 days or so on Windows Media Player. YouTube wasn't really a major medium in video game footage then.

I feel so old.

Nabbis

The graphics were somewhat impressive for it's age, as well as the physics and scope. When it came out, you needed a 7900GTX(best gpu at the time) to run the game at 720p in max settings at 30fps.

Everything else about the game was mediocre.

All in all I would say my lasting impression of Oblivion has had a fairly profound effect on how I view open world RPG’s and my concept of “a next generation experience” itself.

Yep, same here. Great OP for one of my top 10 fondest gaming memories. I remember the first time I played it was at a gaming console arcade. Played for two hours on a big rear projection flat screen. When I got my own 360 and a copy of the game in July 2006, I was still blown away walking out of the sewers on my pitiful 20inch tube.

Gaming moments like that have been few and far between since.

Every time an Oblivion thread pops up, I always feel like a weirdo.

I loved Oblivion. I bought a 360 for it, and when I finally replaced my aging desktop Oblivion was one of the first games I loaded on it. For me, it was a fantastic game. It was the first game I ever got a thousand gamerscore in on the 360 version, and then I kept on going.

The reason I say I feel like a weirdo though is because everything I said is reminiscent of someone who started the series with Oblivion, instead of the true king of TES, Morrowind. But the fact is, I played the hell out of Morrowind. Hell, my first TES game was Daggerfall. You know what? Yeah, Morrowind was more alien, more this, more that, and yeah Oblivion was more plain, more streamlined, more user friendly...but you know what?

I loved it for that.

I really enjoyed Oblivion much more than Morrowind, because it was much more playable than Morrowind ever was. Morrowind had atmosphere and random cool alien shit in it like silt striders and really unique cities and sandstorms and shit, but guess what? Oblivion had Ayleid ruins, which were fuckin' cool, and combat wasn't 100% shit. Morrowind had cool broken spell shit in it, but Oblivion I could actually play without consistent repeatable crashes to desktop that didn't go away for years. Oblivion may have had level locking and streamlined skills, but guess what? I could explore how I wanted (within reason) without thinking the next zone was ready to murder the shit out of me just because I wanted to see what was on the other side of that hill.

Oh, and there were no Cliff Racers.

I guess what I'm saying is, coming from an old school elder scrolls fan, I was able to appreciate and love Oblivion for what it was, rather than despise it for what it isn't.

Xiao Hu

I enjoyed Oblivion a lot and in many cases it feels like Morrowind lite unlike Skyrim which is Oblivion in very lite. I wish I had the same opportunity to play the game on 360 back then, but I only had a shitty PC.

To the poster above: I think what distinguishes Morrowind from its successors the most is not only its unique atmosphere but for me personally the wide scale of content. Soooo many questlines: the traditional guilds, the great Houses, vampire clans, cults etc. Oblivion had its own share of wonderful quests (that Dark Brotherhood) but Morrowind's range just hasn't been reached yet, and Bethesda's recent design choices don't give the impression that TES VI will be any different from Skyrim...

I wasn't a fan. I was severely put off by the world's generic feel. I was just a kid when playing Morrowind but, I remember hearing that Cyrodill was like this weird Jungle like place with towns that combined Roman and China architecture, and the Imperial City being like the Aztec capital city in the lake. Instead we got a generic middle age european city, and a half assed roman city with none of the charm.

Don't even get me started on the shitty faces. I spent hours trying to make a cool looking character but, ultimately gave up as the game does not allow it.

Nokterian

I think i am going to reinstall it with a bunch of mods...Patrick Stewart said i was the man in his dreams that is 10/10 for me!

Oh wow. This was one of my first Xbox 360 games while I was in college, as well as my first Elder Scrolls game. And because of that, I absolutely enjoyed it.

It was almost difficult to put down. Tons of quests, creating my own spells and enchanted weapons, arena battles, and great DLC.

And it really got me hyped up for Skyrim when it was announced years later.

RK9039

It's still one of my favourite games and I think one of my most played as well. My favourite part was the Dark Brotherhood quest line, especially when the entire mole story begins and you have kill all the members in the sanctuary, it was quite intense towards the end. I also abused the duplication glitch every time, I'm a cheater.

By Azura, by Azura, by Azura!

I dont remember much.

but i do remember watching the 12 hour marathon with Greg Kasavin.

wish they had the whole thing.

Yup I remember watching this, the fire alarm went off I think.

Ruruja

Blew my mind when I first played it on X360, put about 70 hours into it and loved every minute.

The music was fantastic and really helped the immersion.

I looked at a couple of Oblivion X360 vids recently and I have no idea how I coped with all those loading screens.

I have such fond memories of Oblivion

Cyridiil is my favorite ES region and it's such a nicer region than Skyrim. Colorful, bright. The atmosphere and graphics really make everything feel mystical. The music is better than Skyrim imo as well. Oblivion's guilds put Skyrim's to shame as well.

But Skyrim has caused the actual gameplay to feel aged. Archery especially, but also Sneaking and just gameplay in general.

Sober

I bought into the hype back then. A few friends in high school were excited for it too.

It's one of the very very few collectors editions I've bought, actually the first.

The game itself I don't think I would really want to go back to but at the time the scale of everything it accomplished was crazy, warts and all.

e8wtQGt.jpg

I loved and still love Oblivion. It was the first "holy shit this is huge" game for me, and i'll always remember it fondly. Also best Brotherhood questline.

I really hated this game. As a wandering-around-and-looking-at-crap game, yeah, it was cool. But I think everything it did was eclipsed by Morrowind. The new parts were just flat disappointing. The dungeons were awful. The scaling was awful. The OBLIVION GATES were so awful. The cities were big and empty and useless given the scaling.

I get why this game is so cool to so many people, but it was just a huge miss for me. My opinion is more a "you had to not be there [for Morrowind]" than the opposite.

Despite agreeing with everything you say about the game, I still liked it at the time, only because there were no (are still aren't) games like it. My first Elder Scrolls games was the first one, Arena. Then I played Morrowind for the Xbox when it was released, and that game completely blew my mind. It gave me the most intense feeling of playing a game after Super Mario 64, I'm not kidding. The immersion of Morrowind, and that feeling of "you can do anything you want", were unparalleled.

Now that Skyrim is out, and is better in every possible way, there is no reason to go replay Oblivion. Even with mods, the game just doesn't grab me. Bethesda themselves would need to completely remake it from the ground up on a new engine for me to be interested again.

But man Radiant AI was a letdown. I get that the NPCs still had schedules but that shit Todd talked about leading up to release was just flat out false.

Oh man, the shit they were saying was unreal. It hyped me up to crazy levels back then, but were I not so young, I would have seen through the bullshit. I remember them saying how you could run into a pack of goblins hanging out in front of their cave's entrance, and if you decided to not kill them, they would reproduce and grow in number enough to have a force to attack a neighboring village. Something like that. It was insane.

I wasn't a fan. I was severely put off by the world's generic feel. I was just a kid when playing Morrowind but, I remember hearing that Cyrodill was like this weird Jungle like place with towns that combined Roman and China architecture, and the Imperial City being like the Aztec capital city in the lake. Instead we got a generic middle age european city, and a half assed roman city with none of the charm.

Don't even get me started on the shitty faces. I spent hours trying to make a cool looking character but, ultimately gave up as the game does not allow it.

Yeah, seriously. I am convinced Bethesda went with a generic medieval theme in order to maximize the game's sales, thinking that if it looks too foreign, consumers might be put off by it. Ridiculous. I love Morrowind so much in part because of how alien it looks.

lazygecko

Now that Skyrim is out, and is better in every possible way, there is no reason to go replay Oblivion. Even with mods, the game just doesn't grab me. Bethesda themselves would need to completely remake it from the ground up on a new engine for me to be interested again.

Skyrim falls really flat on the quests which is a significant part of the game. Oblivion at least did those better.

Glarthir, the paranoid schizophrenic wood elf with wild conspiracy theories that everyone in the town was out to get him remains, to this day, one of the most nuanced, detailed and wonderfully realized quests in any RPG I've ever played.

Peltz

Anyone remember the magazine cover that first revealed Oblivion? I nearly spit my drink out when I saw the graphics in that magazine, especially because I was playing Morrowind at the time and the leap in graphics was totally mind blowing.

injurai

Banned
Maybe it's because it was my first TES game. But this game had some charm that I felt skyrim lacked. I felt the game was far more rich with it's class mechanics, and the quests felt far more organic.

Peltz

Every time an Oblivion thread pops up, I always feel like a weirdo.

I loved Oblivion. I bought a 360 for it, and when I finally replaced my aging desktop Oblivion was one of the first games I loaded on it. For me, it was a fantastic game. It was the first game I ever got a thousand gamerscore in on the 360 version, and then I kept on going.

The reason I say I feel like a weirdo though is because everything I said is reminiscent of someone who started the series with Oblivion, instead of the true king of TES, Morrowind. But the fact is, I played the hell out of Morrowind. Hell, my first TES game was Daggerfall. You know what? Yeah, Morrowind was more alien, more this, more that, and yeah Oblivion was more plain, more streamlined, more user friendly...but you know what?

I loved it for that.

I really enjoyed Oblivion much more than Morrowind, because it was much more playable than Morrowind ever was. Morrowind had atmosphere and random cool alien shit in it like silt striders and really unique cities and sandstorms and shit, but guess what? Oblivion had Ayleid ruins, which were fuckin' cool, and combat wasn't 100% shit. Morrowind had cool broken spell shit in it, but Oblivion I could actually play without consistent repeatable crashes to desktop that didn't go away for years. Oblivion may have had level locking and streamlined skills, but guess what? I could explore how I wanted (within reason) without thinking the next zone was ready to murder the shit out of me just because I wanted to see what was on the other side of that hill.

Oh, and there were no Cliff Racers.

I guess what I'm saying is, coming from an old school elder scrolls fan, I was able to appreciate and love Oblivion for what it was, rather than despise it for what it isn't.

Nobody is going to argue that Morrowind didn't have its flaws. You also aren't alone if those flaws got in the way of your fun. Oblivion did do some good things for the series and there is nothing wrong with liking it for what it was - even more so than the critical darling of the series.

Morrowind is arguably the best game in the history of the medium that plays like shit.... if that makes any sense.

Woorloog

Banned
Despite its flaws, i always found Oblivion to be really fun game.
In many ways, i liked Oblivion far better than Skyrim. The skill/class system is more important (despite the leveling issue), spell system works far better (ignoring awkward spell switching) than what Skyrim has.

Also loved the environments, despite...nay, because they're cliche medieval Europe.
A knight in shining armor fighting against invading demons in idyllic countryside, whats not to love?

Roufianos

Oblivion is honesty one of my favourite games of all time.

I remember getting GRAW and hearing a lot about Oblivion in the weeks after so I bought it without really knowing what it was.

Fucking hell, I'd never played a WRPG before so I had my mind blown twice on the way to Kvatch. Once when I realised that I could stop at an inn and sleep and then I when people reacted to me killing with "someone's been murdered".

The quest design was outstanding too, especially the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild. I'll never forget the quest where you were in a house with a few people and you had to kill them all without them realising you were the murderer.

I loved Fallout 3 too, Fallout 4 and Skyrim just felt stale though.

dalin80

Banned
Loved this game, just really wished the enemies didn't scale.

This, unless you followed a careful and pre-worked out leveling route the whole process was entirely pointless.

I remember finishing the main quest, covered in top tier armour fused with the best sigil stones a hero molded from fighting my way through the depths of a hell dimension... and got immediately kerb stomped by a bandit.

Dweebo

Banned
Nice write up OP, I can't believe it's been 10 years!

I played Morrowind before this but found it a bit too difficult for me at that time. This game though came along at the perfect time and I agree, it felt like the 7th gen truly started with this game. I have the fondest memories with this game:

-Stepping out of the sewers for the first time to be told I could go anywhere. I'd never played an open world game like it at that point.

-The dupe glitch. Making 300 watermelons appear from dive rock and then jumping down it with my horse, a waterfall of watermelons flowing around me

-Jumping and jumping to level up the agility or whatever it was called, letting me jump on houses and getting out of towns to the unloaded world map

-Questing in general and bringing loot back to my house

This is my favorite game in the Elder Scrolls series because it struck a good balance between hilarious glitches and fun gameplay. Morrowind I couldn't fully grasp and although Skyrim I felt had much better gameplay I missed the old crappy glitches and goofyness of Oblivion. Also, Skyrim was a bit grittier which was neat but I enjoy the more bright world of Oblivion.

injurai

Banned
Despite its flaws, i always found Oblivion to be really fun game.
In many ways, i liked Oblivion far better than Skyrim. The skill/class system is more important (despite the leveling issue), spell system works far better (ignoring awkward spell switching) than what Skyrim has.

Also loved the environments, despite...nay, because they're cliche medieval Europe.
A knight in shining armor fighting against invading demons in idyllic countryside, whats not to love?

You're hitting on some key points as to why I loved Oblivion more. Even though much of it was just a forest. Something about it felt real. It didn't feel like a contrived sandbox.

I remember seeing the screenshots and not believing them before the 360 came out.

Also I think Shivering Isles was the best part of the game for me

I'll remember the game for a couple things:
- technical marvel
- horse armor and microtransactions
- Shivering Isles expansion (expansion packs on a console!?)
- absolutely hating the Oblivion world/portals

Woorloog

Banned
You're hitting on some key points as to why I loved Oblivion more. Even though much of it was just a forest. Something about it felt real. It didn't feel like a contrived sandbox.

People tend to dismiss and underestimate what is familiar and "cliche". That familiarity is what gives those things power, power people don't realize until they play/watch/read it.
I think this familiarity is what makes it feel more real.

Some examples of clicheness and familiarity making things popular or most certainly affecting their success:

I recall seeing an article about Diablo 1/2 that explained how their use of Christian symbol and symbols associate with Christianity and things like Satanism made those games more powerful visually, whether or not the player was a Christian or atheist or whatever. Those symbols are so known in the West they have power there.

Mass Effect is intentionally cliche scifi setting, very reminiscent of Star Wars, Star Trek and other old-fashioned scifi. Yet that very thing is what drew people in, you'd get to experience Star Wars again.

The new Star Wars film did very well, thanks to its familiarity.

"Medieval Europe" fantasy settings seem to be ever popular even if the thing's been redone since Tolkien. I know i like to return to such setting every now and then.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
My first TES game, I sunk over 250 hours in on my first playthrough.....so epic.

I accumulated so much gear in my adopted huts, it was ridiculous.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I loved Oblivion but honestly it's still my least favorite of the Elder Scrolls games, Morrowind still being the best but Skyrim being right behind it. Oblivion just felt like it was so much of the same, there wasn't enough terrain variety IMHO and those blasted hell gates got tiring after awhile. I felt the side quests were far more interesting than the main quest, but Skyrim is better than Oblivion in every way IMHO.

Still, being the worst ES game for me, it's still a great game, and I loved playing it while I did, but I have very little desire to ever play it again, while in contrast I still play both Skyrim and Morrowind.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
I absolutely adore it despite its flaws. It's the best TES and balances the reoccurring issues with the series just right to be fun yet broken. Morrowind was too stiff, obtuse, and janky. Skyrim was too simple, dumbed down, and sterile.

edit: One memory that stuck with me was shooting a super power lighting bolt spell out of my hand at a wolf and watching him just explode at a million miles an hour into the stratosphere. Best moments :)

Greatest Bethesda game. Especially coming off Morrowind, which was way too big in scale for its own good, and boring.

I think I'm gonna download it on PC and mod the shit out of it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I had it on launch and I was also another person who turned in for GameSpot's live feed back in the day. It helped get me excited for the game. I got the guide from EB Games too. It was one of 360's better games. It was when you really saw the upgrade in graphics for last gen. Graphics got better, but during 2005/2006 you didn't have a whole lot outside of Condemned or Kameo. It came out at a great time.

I even remember playing the DLC on PS3 when it released on the console. I did go back a year ago and you can see how graphics got way better. Skyrim is such an upgrade in some ways and you realize how far graphic artists and animators got with those consoles.

This was also at the time when they were talking about how hard it was for game designers to make games for the PS3. This was even before Final Fantasy was announced it was going to be on 360 with XIII.

bjork

Mee wurst troll evurr

nobuddy pay brijj tole
me nott sceary enuf
mee gett drunc an kil sellf
troll droun

It was the 3rd TES game I played, but the 1st that really drew me in.

It was also the last TES game that really drew me in.

Between closing the Oblivion gate with an 'army' of 9 footmen, and then leading an Imperial seige of the Stormcloaks' last fortress with a force of 7, I realised that I can't stomach the limitations of Bethesda's tech, outside of the Fallout series.

Wow 10 years! This was the game that made me get an Xbox 360. I loved Morriwind and I was so hyped for this game and I loved it too.

I wish they would remaster this for current gen consoles.

I remember being blown away by the graphics when I got it close-ish to its launch on 360, even on the old CRT I was still using. The luster wore off the more I played it, but I still liked it well enough. I eventually got the PC version many years later, which was fun to mess around with, but eh.

Looking back on it, it's not really something I care to go back to despite some good times with it. Cyrodiil is like 85% the same meadow copy+pasted over and over (with varying amounts of wolves) and is absolutely nothing like it's described in Morrowind. The NPCs all look like potatos with human bodies and the leveling system is hot garbage. The Shivering Isles were pretty darn cool, though.

And hey, Patrick Stewart's in the game for like three minutes, and I love me some Patrick Stewart.

why yes i did buy the horse armor, i am part of the problem

blackjaw

I was a huge Morrowind fan...HUGE...so Oblivion was a bit of a disappointment on many fronts

I got over it a few years after release and liked Oblivion and then really enjoyed Skyrim

Neither are Morrowind level of good in my mind but I'm probably blinded by nostalgia

In regards to setting I think it's probably the worst TES game (though I've barely touched Arena). But I still have a real fondness for this game, I played a whole lot of it during a really happy period of my life, so it's hard not to associate those good feelings with the game automatically.

That said there are a few things I think it does really well. Some of the questlines in Oblivion are really good, and I actually think it does a better job of making the quest's feel more involved than other games in the series. The Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild are great all around.

Greatest Bethesda game. Especially coming off Morrowind, which was way too big in scale for its own good, and boring.
The playable space in Morrowind is smaller than that of Oblivion.

120v

despite being a huge ES fan it's the only game i never really played much of (besides Arena and Daggerfall) so i'm revisiting the game right now all modded out

i really regret not playing the game around the time it came out. i'm sure it would've blown my head off.

definitely aged the worse of the three modern elder scrolls but still pretty great. had a lot of fun on my short time with it on 360, warts and all

Top Bottom