• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Captain N said:
No problem..now next time..I want some puddles.

Well, I believe
Pete? said that they're gonna get cracking on the next ES game for this gen
ASAP, so they may be working on y our puddles as we speak. :)

Captain N

SnakeXs said:
Well, I believe
Pete? said that they're gonna get cracking on the next ES game for this gen
ASAP, so they may be working on y our puddles as we speak. :)

That'd be money..maybe they even effect the battles. You can slip in the mud..oh the glory of weather.

Sysgen

The wind storms in Morrowind were just insane. I haven't seen anything last gen that matched those storms or at least I don't remember.

Speevy

Banned
These aren't very good (mostly due to this forum's vertically-oriented avatar dimensions), but I made some Oblivion avatars if you're interested.

PM me if you want a more specific animation or dimension. Get them now while they're up (Imageshack pics go down fast).

xexex

Banned
underfooter said:
Those graphics are just insane.

indeed. but that's not why I'm excited about Oblivion -- I'm exicted about being able to explore pretty much whereever I want, and having a non-linear quest.

Borys

Banned
Speevy said:
These aren't very good (mostly due to this forum's vertically-oriented avatar dimensions), but I made some Oblivion avatars if you're interested.

PM me if you want a more specific animation or dimension. Get them now while they're up (Imageshack pics go down fast).

Incredible :O
But why are they running so fast?

Burger

TerryLee81 said:
The horse armor looks nice.

And I can't wait to exit the first dungeon, landscape in that screen looks fantastic...

Yeah, my jaw kind of fell open when I saw that. I believe this game is going to be incredible.

eso76

thank you guys for the pm.

Wow, the game is simply gorgeous, if you haven't seen these sshots you ain't seen nothing yet. Kudos to the developers...and to think i had doubts...the draw distance and the landscape are simply unbelievable.

GreekWolf

eso76 said:
Wow, the game is simply gorgeous, if you haven't seen these sshots you ain't seen nothing yet. Kudos to the developers...and to think i had doubts...the draw distance and the landscape are simply unbelievable.
Bethseda has really outdone themselves this time. Apparently, they've had time to work on the pop-in and draw distance problems that plagued the preview versions.

This is just amazing work. I'm not easily impressed... but those pics were truly jaw-dropping.

Borys

Banned
Saw the scans - some shots are simply breathtaking while others look near Bloodmoon quality.

The score is 9.5/10 (pretty strange for OXM to not give it a ten) with the *only* minus the game got being "The envelope pushing comes at a technical price".

What price? Slow-down? Arrrgh...

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Do not ask for PMs of scans that are clearly not allowed on GAF. And you're not clever by doing the "bold letters within my post" trick.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Borys said:
Saw the scans - some shots are simply breathtaking while others look near Bloodmoon quality.

The score is 9.5/10 (pretty strange for OXM to not give it a ten) with the *only* minus the game got being "The envelope pushing comes at a technical price".

and thats slowdown on top of the built in 'guess what framerate I'm running at now' Xbox 360.

SnakeXs

mrklaw said:
and thats slowdown on top of the built in 'guess what framerate I'm running at now' Xbox 360.

:lol

Keep trying.

Anyways, on a serious note.

A question for anyone who may know/Steve.

If you have a big weapon like a claymore, and do a big slash, can you hit more than 1 target at once? I remember on preview saying he had a big weapon and accidentally hit his horse, but I just wanna make sure.

SnakeXs

Borys said:

Straight from the mouth of Fallen:

"He said that he doesn't understand why it didn't get 10s like OXM always gives, but OXM has only ever given one 10."

So, there you have it kids, Borys, never trying to stir shit up.

And, P.S. the "technical price" is the (well documented, not a big deal, cross-platform) draw in.

SnakeXs said:
If you have a big weapon like a claymore, and do a big slash, can you hit more than 1 target at once? I remember on preview saying he had a big weapon and accidentally hit his horse, but I just wanna make sure.

Yes, you can hit multiple people. Also, as I said last week, the Unicorn is absolutely glorious. :D

RegularMK

I've reconsidered buying a new comp for this game.

I'm getting a 360 for it!

After seeing the animated gif of the monster getting blown away by this spell my anticipation is so great I think I may drown myself in drool.

Sugarman said:
Is the the map of all of the world in Oblivion? I thought it was smaller than Morrowind, but a friend says Morrowind is just a part of the whole world-
http://www.oblivionportal.com/info/images/empireoftamriel.gif

Morrowind is a very small part of the entire world. If you played Daggerfall, you know how large it actually is, although due to technological limitations, much of Daggerfall was empty. Still, it was one massive world to explore.

Sugarman said:
Will Oblivion cover the entire world, or just part of it?

Just part of it.

Oblivion = Cyrodiil if I'm not mistaken.

empireoftamriel3qt.gif

IGN X360 <-> PC comparsion:

Link

Conclusion:
They look about the same.
+PC: Mods, higher res
+X360: Controls, Achievements, price of the hardware (needs a top PC to equal the graphics)

Pimpbaa

TerryLee81 said:
IGN X360 <-> PC comparsion:

Link

Conclusion:
They look about the same.
+PC: Mods, higher res
+X360: Controls, Achievements, price of the hardware (needs a top PC to equal the graphics)

360 version has superior controls? wtf?!

Edit: One guy says he prefers the 360 controls and the other the PC. For this type of game tho, I think it's a given that the PC will have better controls.

Pimpbaa said:

Edit: One guy says he prefers the 360 controls and the other the PC. For this type of game tho, I think it's a given that the PC will have better controls.

Like "more comfortable":

I think the Xbox 360 controller may actually prove better and more intuitive. Since there aren't any specific damage zones on enemies in Oblivion, hitting a head counts just as much as hitting a fingertip, there's no need to make precise shots. That does away with any advantages the mouse may have held. The joystick and shoulder button attack and movement felt really intuitive. Compared to having the WASD movement setup on PC, which would normally be great for FPSs, I think the controller could actually be the preferred device. There's also the issue of inventory management, but it's actually really easy on the Xbox 360, right down to adding poisons to weapon, fast traveling and mixing alchemy components. Furthermore, the Xbox 360 version has 8 configurable hotkey commands for fast access to spells, weapons and items.

But that's just his opinion...

Interesting for PC users:

Oblivion will support the 360 controller on PC. BUT… not fully at release. While the controller will technically work, the PC version won't have the Xbox 360 interface to go along with it, which means it won't work well. However, Bethesda has said that they're planning to add the full support of the 360 controller in one of their first updates.

Pimpbaa said:

Why do you assume that the PC will have better controls? Or are you just basing this on how you like to play these types of games? If the game has been built from the ground up for the X360 controller, it's quite possible that it'll be better on that system. Add into that analog control and I think things will be good.

My only concern is not having enough buttons/options on the controller to do everything as quickly and easily as I would like with the keyboard, but most indications are that it's pretty easy to handle all the different options at your disposal.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Why do you assume that the PC will have better controls? Or are you just basing this on how you like to play these types of games? If the game has been built from the ground up for the X360 controller, it's quite possible that it'll be better on that system. Add into that analog control and I think things will be good.

My only concern is not having enough buttons/options on the controller to do everything as quickly and easily as I would like with the keyboard, but most indications are that it's pretty easy to handle all the different options at your disposal.

Because wherever there is a mouse involved, the controls are better.

TemplaerDude said:
Because wherever there is a mouse involved, the controls are better.

I disagree. There are some things that are great with a mouse (RTS) and some that are better with a contoller. (sports games)

First person shooters or other first person games have tradionally been great with the mouse/keyboard combo, but the two stick set-up of games like Halo have shown the way for first person games on the consoles, and they work very well.

I should point out that I'm a long, long time PC gamer, as well as a console gamer, and have played the previous Elder Scrolls games on PC.

Borys

Banned
YOU. CAN. USE. ANY. CONSOLE. CONTROLLER. ON. THE. PC.

End of discussion.

You like mouse - play with mouse, you like gamepads - play with gamepads.

Xbox 360 does not give you that choice - gamepad only.

SnakeXs

Borys said:
YOU. CAN. USE. ANY. CONSOLE. CONTROLLER. ON. THE. PC.

End of discussion.

You like mouse - play with mouse, you like gamepads - play with gamepads.

Using a controller, and having the game itself set itself to be 100% proper, perfect controls and interface changes is different.

That said, PC "defenders" are reaching with this one.

Is UT better with M/K? Sure.

But this isn't UT. It's slow paced. It doesn't demand super sensitive controls. If you PREFER one, that's fine, but this surely isn't a case where one is outright better.

If you prefer a ton of hot keys to a simply laid out controller, go for it. But it says something when the developers plan on making on the PC version work with and alter to the 360 controller.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Btw, for the one or two people on GAF buying the PC version, nvidia has a refresh coming this week, and ATI will be slashing prices to counter. Excellent news for me and my poor ol' 9800 Pro.

El_Victor

EviLore said:
Btw, for the one or two people on GAF buying the PC version, nvidia has a refresh coming this week, and ATI will be slashing prices to counter. Excellent news for me and my poor ol' 9800 Pro.
Care to come with a suggestion on what card to buy?

Top Bottom