• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I'm going to say is that in my opinion, artistically the game is as beautiful as any I've played, but you should all reserve judgement until you've seen it with your own eyes.

Also, holy balls, dragons are freaking HARD!

Fersis said:
Do the PS3 version have subtitles?

EDIT: Is it 'do' or 'does' ??

'Does' and yes, it does have subtitles :)

zlatko

Banned
This game's soundtrack is the stuff of legends. Nerd chills up and down my spine.

I don't think my body is ready for this game. ; ;

MrBig

ironcreed said:
So the art direction and design of the majestic environments count for nothing?
Art direction and design are two different things.
The game looks great, but the IQ, polycount, and texture variety is on par with games from 5 years ago.
Those resources are used for building a larger environment with huge draw distances rather than a densely populated and detailed area.
i.e. the game focuses on macro detail rather than micro, much, in fact, like a painting does.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Tobor said:
Does. Do would be plural, as in "Do the PS3 versions..."
Bootaaay said:
'Does' and yes, it does have subtitles :)
Thanks guys!

Im not a RPG player but damn this game looks so good that i might give it a try.

ironcreed

Banned
I'll just leave these here. The same as Oblivion my ass.

theelderscrollsv_skyrikm9h.gif

theelderscrollsv_skyri9mmu.gif

ironcreed

Banned
MrBig said:
Art direction and design are two different things.
The game looks great, but the IQ, polycount, and texture variety is on par with games from 5 years ago.
Those resources are used for building a larger environment with huge draw distances rather than a densely populated and detailed area.
i.e. the game focuses on macro detail rather than micro, much, in fact, like a painting does.

I know the difference. I am talking about the design of the world in conjunction with the art, which is gorgeous in this game. Also, no way in hell is it just about on par with Oblivion. The game looks night and day better.

MrBig

The perfect Dark said:
This is PC footage. I talked about the Ps3-Version ;)
That, like all official footage released thus far, is 360.
ironcreed said:
I know the difference. I am talking about the design of the world in conjunction with the art, which is gorgeous in this game. Also, no way in hell is it just about on par with Oblivion. The game looks night and day better.
I said nothing at all about oblivion.

Lakitu

st5fu
The perfect Dark said:
This is PC footage. I talked about the Ps3-Version ;)

Why don't you have a look for direct-feed footage then and judge it for yourself rather than compare it to a circa-2005 game? It's not that hard.

ironcreed

Banned
MrBig said:
That, like all official footage released thus far, is 360.

I said nothing at all about oblivion.

Well, Oblivion was released 5 years ago and you said that Skyrim looks like a 5 year old game. Either way, the game is leaps and bounds better looking than Oblivion, which was released 5 years ago. Beings this is the next game in the series, that is all I can ask for.

Wallach

water_wendi said:
No its not PC footage. All the stuff Bethesda has released has been of the 360 version.

Actually some of that looks like the reveal trailer, which supposedly has a lot of PC footage according to Pete Hines.

It seems like the lighting effects are much better than in Oblivion. I wonder how high lighting/shadow-effects can be cranked in the PC version relative to the console versions.

MrBig

ironcreed said:
Well, Oblivion was released 5 years ago and you said that Skyrim looks like a 5 year old game. Either way, the game is leaps and bounds better looking than Oblivion, which was released 5 years ago. Beings this is the next game in the series, that is all I can ask for.
Yes it looks much, much better than oblivion. And on a macro level it is on par with some current games. On a micro, technical level, it lags far behind.
I'm agreeing with your original points, I'm just trying to straighten it out.

ironcreed

Banned
MrBig said:
Yes it looks much, much better than oblivion. And on a macro level it is on par with some current games. On a micro, technical level, it lags far behind.
I'm agreeing with your original points, I'm just trying to straighten it out.

Good deal. We are pretty much on the same page then.

water_wendi said:
News to me. i thought all the footage released so far was from the console version.
You missed the news last week where they basically came out and said: "You know how we promised that the trailer was all console footage? We had our fingers crossed."

FHIZ

Okay, I've been meaning to ask this, what's the status of being able to screw around with the ragdoll physics? Same as Oblivion? I only ask because some of my fondest memories of Oblivion were involving the physics. You know, after defeating a few enemies, taking their shit, then dragging them to the nearest body of water/cliff and throwing them off, just cause I wanted to "cover my tracks"

Einbroch

Banned
FHIZ said:
Okay, I've been meaning to ask this, what's the status of being able to screw around with the ragdoll physics? Same as Oblivion? I only ask because some of my fondest memories of Oblivion were involving the physics. You know, after defeating a few enemies, taking their shit, then dragging them to the nearest body of water/cliff and throwing them off, just cause I wanted to "cover my tracks"
Still there, and in full force. A fully charged lightning bolt sent a dragon skeleton flying like 100 meters.

It was hilarious! So yes, it's definitely still there. Maybe even turned up a notch.

FHIZ

Einbroch said:
Still there, and in full force. A fully charged lightning bolt sent a dragon skeleton flying like 100 meters.

It was hilarious! So yes, it's definitely still there. Maybe even turned up a notch.

Yesssssss. I wish there was a stat for "hours spent fucking around" because I'm going to dedicate a good amount of just adding insult to injury to my enemies.

I simply can't get over the environments in this game. The forest environments with the falling leaves, etc, incredible; and then the SOUNDTRACK, wow, I'm a Jeremy Soule fan but just the main theme alone... damn. I really shouldn't buy this game. I never even got around to seriously playing Oblivion GOTY after buying it on Steam sale, and I need to finish Twilight Princess before Syward Sword arrives. I CAN'T buy this game.
I'm so buying this game.

civilstrife said:
Haha

Nope.

That trailer was "a mix of platforms".
I honestly think that was them "appeasing the masses", because nobody'd seen the PC version yet. "Oh, you know that 360-only trailer we showed you? It looks like that."

Danneee

Bootaaay said:
2nd dragon down, took me three tries before I killed him. That "OH SHIT!" moment when you're in the middle of the wilderness, no shelter in sight, and a huge dragon roars over head, is just awesome.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0111.jpg

Also, I'm continually amazed at how beautiful everything is at night. The lighting is great, but the skybox is so damn impressive;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0118.jpg

Are all windows lit at night in cities and villages? Are there any rare one of a kind items?

I can't wait 5 more days D: I feel like I should play Oblivion to occupy myself for now, but I'd rather not play ugly Oblivion much more.

Khezu

Blue Ninja said:
I honestly think that was them "appeasing the masses", because nobody'd seen the PC version yet. "Oh, you know that 360-only trailer we showed you? It looks like that."

Outside of the headbob sequence, all of the stuff in the original trailer looked pretty much like the stuff were seeing in the xbox version now, and honestly, I trust Nick over Pete, but I might be biased.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Piercedveil said:
It looks amazing. I honestly was impressed with Oblivion's skybox, but this is so much better.
I knew Bethesda would knock this out of the park, but still, this is music to my ears. Oblivion is one of the few games where I was still awed by the beauty of things (not the characters... mostly landscape-wise) after years of playing it. Can't wait to experience Skyrim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom