• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty2k

How newbie friendly is Skyrim likely to be? I played about 3 hours of oblivion but then my 360 broke and i got a ps3 and never rebought it. So I'm basically a newb, like the look of what i see but how important is picking the right race and putting the right stats in the right attributes etc?

qwerty2k said:
How newbie friendly is Skyrim likely to be? I played about 3 hours of oblivion but then my 360 broke and i got a ps3 and never rebought it. So I'm basically a newb, like the look of what i see but how important is picking the right race and putting the right stats in the right attributes etc?

not important at all, it's not really a strategic game by any means. it's more for role playing purposes "i'm a battlemage guys! look at me weee"

Razorskin

----- ------
Bootaaay, have you found Triple H in Skyrim?

2WJLS.jpg

Woorloog

Banned
qwerty2k said:
Pic the race whose looks you like the most. Note the racials, each race has one passive and one daily racial (except Orcs who only have the latter one) but also remember they're rather minor things. The race doesn't truly matter in this game, only helps at start.
There are no true attributes nor classes.
Just use the skills you like and when leveling up, you increase your health, stamina or magicka by ten (health also increases automatically, no?) and choose a perk.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
zlatko said:
Get this from intkeys.net for 30 bucks, and then get Zelda as well.

If you mean which to play first and are getting both, then flip a coin. Either way is a win. I'd probably lean towards Zelda myself, because I could probably finish it much quicker even with going for close to 100%.

is this really trustworthy?

zlatko

Banned
Big Ass Ramp said:
is this really trustworthy?

LiquidMetal got BF3 through them with no issues, and he's pre-ordered Skyrim there too.

I'm trying to rustle up the money and hopefully I'll have mine pre ordered and paid off sometime this week before the game releases hopefully.

Liquid and I will post back results in here, so as long you are fine with waiting for us to get back to you, then you'll know soon enough.

Edit: As far as DLC being region locked you can always just have a GAFfer trade you a Russian DLC code and you paypal them. Also, is it possible to use VPN to make it work? Either way there's no reason to fret, because there will be a way to get the DLC even if it does end up being the Russian region version.

sdornan

The DLC being exclusive to Xbox 360 for a week is one of the reasons I'm getting on 360 first.

EDIT: Actually... 30 days. That solidifies my choice even more.

Eurogamer said:
The first two downloadable add-ons for fantasy role-playing game The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim will be exclusive to the Xbox 360 for 30 days after release, Microsoft has announced.

iNvid02

Lyphen said:
I thought Bethesda region locked DLC and such? Too big of a risk for me.

i think the game will be russian only language (requiring eng language files and a few reg tweaks, i remember bf3 language files being 1gb so skyrim's will be massive).

also yeah all their dlc is region locked so you'd have to get the russian versions and get language files for them too.

and if that wasn't enough, buying from key sites means about $5-$10 goes to the pubs/devs max

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
This is why you keep the region-exploiting cd key sites in the region-exploiting cd key thread.

Leckan

sdornan said:
The DLC being exclusive to Xbox 360 for a week is one of the reasons I'm getting on 360 first.

This reasoning is exactly why MS moneyhats like this. Note how it's only for the early DLC and not all of them since by that time the buying decision has already been made and MS doesn't care anymore.

zlatko

Banned
EviLore said:
This is why you keep the region-exploiting cd key sites in the region-exploiting cd key thread.

:( I just wanted to let people be aware of a possible good deal to save themselves money this holiday season which is packed with AAA titles to buy.

I can delete/mod my post if you want.

Yo Gotti

Banned
bengraven said:
It's funny.

When Oblivion was still not announced I would hang out at the TES boards. My god, Morrowind was a fucking piece of shit according to the vocal minority there. Think NMA quality piece of shit. "Whenever they announce Oblivion, I can only hope it matches the glory that was Daggerfall".

Long lists of boycotting Oblivion before anyone knew the game even existed or was called Oblivion (it was assumed so since Beth was on record saying they were going to call TES3 "Oblivion" and IV and "ivion", yeah.).

After Oblivion was announced it became even more vocal. It seemed like everyone wanted Daggerfall back.

Then close to the launch of Oblivion, maybe when everyone was doing a Morrowind playthrough in advance, people warmed a bit on Morrowind. A few months after it was released, around the time I stopped visiting the forums, Morrowind was suddenly not only "underrated" but the crown jewel of the TES line. A thought that's only increased until now most people realize how great Morrowind was.

Of course, with Skyrim coming, a pattern didn't start as people are still saying Morrowind was the great game and they hope Skyrim is the next Morrowind, but I was just remembering the flip flop of pre-2005. ha

There is foundation to these complaints, though.

The games take very marginal steps forward while taking large steps back in areas that people loved from the previous games. Daggerfall had an unimaginably huge world, tons of unique loot, unique characters and tons of quests since it was mostly randomly generated. Then Morrowind comes along with core game mechanics that are largely the same, only in a smaller, hand-crafted world. I wasn't around when Daggerfall launched, but I went back to play it after I played Morrowind. There's literally thousands of hours of gameplay packed into that game, it's ridiculously huge but if you can look past the graphics, it's just as much of a game as Morrowind.

Then Oblivion comes out and is in my opinion a step back from Morrowind in mostly every way besides visually. The storytelling, graphics and combat got marginally better again, but the world wasn't nearly as rich and there was a lot less role playing freedom compared to Morrowind. Oblivion isn't as bad as say DMC 1 to DMC 2, but it was subpar enough that I'll probably never play it again.

Morrowind struck the best balance of a unique, hand crafted world and role-playing freedom in a modern game. That freedom is what people play these games for, and as good as Skyrim is sounding right now, we're still not sure that it manages to recreate that freedom.

bengraven

Cannot wait for the mods. I'm excited to see what modders will do with a "new" engine for the first time in 6 years.

sdornan said:

Yeah, a month. Caught you before your edit.

Yo Gotti said:
There is foundation to these complaints, though.

The games take very marginal steps forward while taking large steps back in areas that people loved from the previous games. Daggerfall had an unimaginably huge world, tons of unique loot, unique characters and tons of quests since it was mostly randomly generated. Then Morrowind comes along with core game mechanics that are largely the same, only in a smaller, hand-crafted world. I wasn't around when Daggerfall launched, but I went back to play it after I played Morrowind. There's literally thousands of hours of gameplay packed into that game, it's ridiculously huge but if you can look past the graphics, it's just as much of a game as Morrowind.

Then Oblivion comes out and is in my opinion a step back from Morrowind in mostly every way besides visually. The storytelling, graphics and combat got marginally better again, but the world wasn't nearly as rich and there was a lot less role playing freedom compared to Morrowind. Oblivion isn't as bad as say DMC 1 to DMC 2, but it was subpar enough that I'll probably never play it again.

Morrowind struck the best balance of a unique, hand crafted world and role-playing freedom in a modern game. That freedom is what people play these games for, and as good as Skyrim is sounding right now, we're still not sure that it manages to recreate that freedom.

Agreed with nearly everything but the "unique"ness of Daggerfall. There's a TON, but not a lot of variety.

sdornan

Leckan said:
This reasoning is exactly why MS moneyhats like this. Note how it's only for the early DLC and not all of them since by that time the buying decision has already been made and MS doesn't care anymore.
I know I'm being pandered to, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work.

Day one purchase! Not playing until after the 15th though, this game would murder my gpa if I let it get in the way of my midterms.

Excellent OP, not too flashy which is what makes it so readable.

Echoplx

zlatko said:
:( I just wanted to let people be aware of a possible good deal to save themselves money this holiday season which is packed with AAA titles to buy.

I can delete/mod my post if you want.

Except you were leading people to believe it's risk free when It's really not, you can get completely screwed over with region restrictions and in most cases there is no way around it (don't want to discuss it here)

Wallach said:
NIIIIIIIIIIIIICK

Hey why don't you tell us a little about how loot scaling works in Skyrim while you're here.

Well, if level scaling is like Fallout 3 and New Vegas, why wouldn't loot work the same way?

sdornan said:

Two words:

Steam Sale.

(Yeah, I'm willing wait.)

bengraven

Just saw on Reddit that someone got the gaming mag "Atomic" and they had the first review of Skyrim.

Gaming magazine “Atomic” has provided the first verdict of Bethesda’s “The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim” in an exclusive review. It seems that the title has lived up to expectations – the Australian publication awarded Bethesda’s highly-anticipated RPG with a 95% score.

Breaking things down, Skyrim earned a 97% score for gameplay (“Something for every style of play.”), 92% for graphics (“The game’s environments are amazing.”), 95% for sound (“Sounds so real that you’ll flinch.”), and 95% for the “overall” category. To conclude, Atomic said, “Start stockpiling holiday time – you’ll want to play a lot of this game.”

Leckan

sdornan said:
I know I'm being pandered to, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work.

Don't get me wrong, It's a very smart decision on MS part since they don't even have to waste more money unnecessarily by making all DLC time-exlusive. The early DLC is what really matters since it give users that decisive little push on which version to buy day 1. I'm not a fan of the strategy but it clearly benefits them.

Wallach

Edvardelis said:
Well, if level scaling is like Fallout 3 and New Vegas, why wouldn't loot work the same way?

That's what I am thinking, but I'm hungry for specifics. Especially with the new randomized "epic" system added to the game.

Hex

Banned
I am so so so looking forward to this game.
It sucks but I have to wait two weeks to grab it, unless I can return one of the games I got from the Amazon B2g1 sale to Amazon in exchange.
Still worth the wait no matter what.

Hawk269

Credo said:
I'm about to drive myself crazy over whether I should get the 360 or PC version.

I played Morrowind and Oblivion on consoles, loved both of them, and had no problems with either. I like playing on big screens, and I wasn't able to connect my PC to a TV in the past. I still haven't done that up to this point, but I'm able to do it now.

My PC exceeds all of Skyrim's recommended specs, and I know the PC versions of Elder Scrolls games get a lot of praise because of all the mods that are released, so it seems like a no-brainer that I should buy a DVI-to-HDMI cable and play the PC version with a controller on my TV.

For those who play PC games on TV with a 360 controller, is there any kind of input lag or any other issue that detracts from the experience? Should I just go ahead with the PC version and quit worrying about it?

I built a new gaming rig not along ago for the single purpose to play PC games on my 55" 3d-HDTV. I have a wireless keyboard/mouse and a wireless 360 controller. I have had zero issue with input lag etc. while gaming, the experience is amazing. It feels just like playing my consoles, but with way better visuals, true 1080p etc. As long as the games fully support the gamepad, the games play great great with a 360 pad. From posting here and speaking with someone that is playing the pC version, the 360 pad intergration is 100%, meaning the button prompts etc. are the same in the UI as if you were playing a 360 games.

Other games such as Battlefield 3 which was touted to be 100% controller compatible are horrid with the controller. You can play the game with good control, but they did not implement all features...for example in MP, you need a mouse to select load out as it does not work with the controller, icons are not the 360 ones etc.

The new Lord of the Rings game auto detects the 360 controller once you go to the options and select gamepad and then the UI is updated to show 360 prompts. That is how you implement 360 controller support, not the bullshit that EA/DICE did with Battlefield and from what I have been told Bethsoft did 100% intergration.

Woorloog

Banned
I really hope the DLC is more akin to the Shivering Isles or Morrowind expansions rather than FO3/NV DLC. The Point Lookout and Honest Hearths are nice "mini"-expansions but those do not satisfy me really. How about a piece of Morrowind, Hammerfell or High Rock with good amount of content.

Wallach

Woorloog said:
I really hope the DLC is more akin to the Shivering Isles or Morrowind expansions rather than FO3/NV DLC. The Point Lookout and Honest Hearths are nice "mini"-expansions but those do not satisfy me really. How about a piece of Morrowind, Hammerfell or High Rock?

I'm definitely hoping for an excursion into High Rock from some of the DLC.

Woorloog

Banned
Wallach said:
I'm definitely hoping for an excursion into High Rock from some of the DLC.
Give us a rather large piece of High Rock (at least the size of Honest Hearths or the Point Lookout, preferrably larger) and an interesting main quest plus other quests. Now that's how DLC should be done. Seamless integration, no "fast" traveling to other areas through loading screens.

Fjordson

Woorloog said:
I really hope the DLC is more akin to the Shivering Isles or Morrowind expansions rather than FO3/NV DLC. The Point Lookout and Honest Hearths are nice "mini"-expansions but those do not satisfy me really. How about a piece of Morrowind, Hammerfell or High Rock with good amount of content.
Your hopes are fairly spot on with what Todd Howard has said. Less in number than their Fallout DLC, but "expansion-like" in scope. Sounds good to me.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Lakitu said:
I keep on forgetting about the DLC.

Just imagine Skyrim + the DLC episodes after. Damn, it's going to be huge.
Oblivion + all the DLC was gigantic and the dlc for oblivion was nowhere near as content filled as the stuff the Fallout series started.

Woorloog

Banned
Fjordson said:
Your hopes are fairly spot on with what Todd Howard has said. Less in number than their Fallout DLC, but "expansion-like" in scope. Sounds good to me.
As long as they make them seamless, both Morrowind and Oblivion supported that (though Oblivion had issues with the map but could've been updated as well) so i'd assume Skyrim will as well. Modders go apeshit otherwise, no? I really hate using "fast travel" to get to DLC areas, immersion breaking.

Seep

So has it been confirmed that this .gif from the Sound of Skyrim video is definitely PC footage? Because there's certainly no shadows on objects in the videos I've seen today, I don't think the books open either.

Squire

Banned
CrocMother said:
I thought the Thieves Guild wasn't that bad. Especially the last quest.

It is very newb friendly. It comes with a difficulty slider, and which race you choose isn't that important as long as you pick one that fits with your vision of mage/warrior/stealth.
This is definitely reassuring. Glad to hear. What do you mean by "difficulty slider" though? Is the difficulty handled in some way other than the typical modes (very easy, easy, normal etc etc)?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Seep said:
So has it been confirmed that this .gif from the Sound of Skyrim video is definitely PC footage? Because there's certainly no shadows on objects in the videos I've seen today, I don't think the books open either.

All of the official media is 360 footage*

*except when we're lying and it's actually PC footage

UrbanRats

Hawk269 said:
I built a new gaming rig not along ago for the single purpose to play PC games on my 55" 3d-HDTV. I have a wireless keyboard/mouse and a wireless 360 controller. I have had zero issue with input lag etc. while gaming, the experience is amazing. It feels just like playing my consoles, but with way better visuals, true 1080p etc. As long as the games fully support the gamepad, the games play great great with a 360 pad. From posting here and speaking with someone that is playing the pC version, the 360 pad intergration is 100%, meaning the button prompts etc. are the same in the UI as if you were playing a 360 games.

Other games such as Battlefield 3 which was touted to be 100% controller compatible are horrid with the controller. You can play the game with good control, but they did not implement all features...for example in MP, you need a mouse to select load out as it does not work with the controller, icons are not the 360 ones etc.

The new Lord of the Rings game auto detects the 360 controller once you go to the options and select gamepad and then the UI is updated to show 360 prompts. That is how you implement 360 controller support, not the bullshit that EA/DICE did with Battlefield and from what I have been told Bethsoft did 100% intergration.
Just Cause 2 is the best ever.
you can go from K/M to 360 pad in realtime, ingame, and the hud changes accordingly, in realtime.
press a button on the keyboard --> keyboard hud.
press a button on the pad --> 360 hud.
So good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom