• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
S578J.png

News and updates:
  • 11/11/11: Sovngarde awaits, brothers.
  • 11/10/11: The review embargo has lifted! I think people like it.
  • 11/07/11: The first patch has been released, so several bugs will have already been squashed by the time the game comes out.
  • 11/04/11: In an hour of broken glass and bitten fingernails, Skyrim's OT is born.
On spoilers: Skyrim's a big game, with lots to see and do. Most people will want to keep the experience relatively unspoiled.
So, for the first month after release, when you want to discuss the main quest or the main faction lines, use spoiler tags.

UPDATE: To avoid any accidental highlighting, try and have an informative non-spoiled text. For instance, don't say this:

(Main Quest)
I can't believe we fight a dragon during the "Kill a Dragon" quest.

Instead, say it like this.

(Main Quest) I can't believe we fight a
dragon
during the "Kill a Dragon" quest.

Discussing locations, random events and easter eggs are all fair game. This is still a discussion thread, and I don't want it
to end up looking like a typewriter threw up all over it. If you enter this thread, you know what you can expect.

On the title: Nick Breckon graciously aided me in translating it into the Dragon speech. If you want to know what it means:
Here be dragons.

tyavD.png

It has been 200 years since Martin Septim sacrificed himself to permanently seal the barriers between Nirn and Oblivion.
With the death of the last Septim, the Empire lost its last legitimate leader. As each province tried to reassert its independence,
it pulled itself apart. It was the dawn of the Fourth Era, but there was no Empire left to greet it.

Much has happened since then. The Mane was assasinated in Elsweyr. The Argonians, tired of chafing under Dunmer slavemasters,
revolted and conquered the south of Morrowind as Red Mountain erupted in the north. The Dunmer scattered to the winds. Titus Mede
seized the Imperial City and became Emperor. The Thalmor seized control in the Summerset Isle and Valenwood, reestablishing
the Aldmeri Dominion. Umbriel, a floating city fueled by the souls of its victims, drew a swath of destruction across all of Tamriel.
The moons mysteriously vanished, only to reappear two years later. The Aldmeri Dominion and the Empire went to war. The Imperial City
changed hands two times in just as many years. The White-Gold Concordat was signed. Hammerfell seceded from the Empire and pushed
back its Elven invaders. The High King of Skyrim was murdered by one of his Jarls, plunging the land into a bloody civil war.

As the sons of Skyrim spilled their own blood, the Elder Scrolls' final prophecy was fulfilled. The chain of events set in motion by
the Eternal Champion came to a grinding halt. The Staff of Chaos, the Warp in the West, the rise of the Nerevarine, the opening of
the Oblivion gates; all these events were omens that our time on this world is limited. And now our time has run out.

Amidst the chaos of war, dragons have returned to Tamriel. These ancient creatures are the heralds of our end, their message
one of fire and death. Now, they sweep across Tamriel, paving the way for their master: Alduin the World Eater, who will
bathe the world in flame until nothing but ashes remain.

But, there is still hope. There is one the dragons fear. In their tongue he is "Dovahkiin"... Dragonborn.

wxKwQ.png

The Pocket Guide to the Empire: Fourth Edition
From the quills of the Imperial Geographical Society

It has been exactly 200 years since the previous edition of this Pocket Guide was released. Since then, many things
have changed: an Empire has fallen and been reborn, borders have been redrawn and wars have been fought. So far,
the Fourth Era has been a time of great turmoil. However, we at the Imperial Geographical Society are convinced
many conflicts can be avoided with some simple common sense and knowledge. After all, one who knows what the Green Pact
is won't be so eager to accept an invitation to a Bosmeri banquet! That is why, on the 200th anniversary of our previous
guide, we bring you this new, updated version. This is not a simple update, but a complete rewrite, to paint an accurate
picture of Tamriel as it is today. We hope this guide keeps you informed, and more importantly, safe.

Excerpt: On Tamriel

Acqqr.png

Tamriel. It is a name we all know and all take for granted. Yet our continent has had many names over the course of history:
the Arena; Starry Heart; Dawn’s Beauty. It has seen great unity and great strife. During the last years of the third era, in the
time leading up to the Oblivion crisis, the land was relatively peaceful. To be true, even then there was unrest between
the provinces, but the Elder Council handled their grievances while the Legion kept their more violent client states in line.
After the collapse of the Empire, however, unrest between the provinces increased. Black Marsh annexed part of Morrowind,
while the rest became an uninhabitable wasteland when Red Mountain erupted. The Thalmor seized control of the Summerset Isle
and Valenwood and resurrected the Aldmeri Dominion. The Great War bathed the land in blood and fear. Not even the Imperial City,
jewel of the Empire, was safe from the Aldmeri onslaught. Even now, after the White-Gold Concordat, peace is fragile.

Excerpt: On Skyrim

54cN1.png

Skyrim has an abundance of two things: freezing cold and ancient history. Long ago, the rugged land was inhabited by ancient elves.
When humans first arrived in Tamriel from the northern continent of Atmora, they arived on Skyrim's frozen shores. There, they
came into contact with the Snow Elves. Despite their differences, the races were initially at peace with one another. As time went
on, however, the elves began to feel threatened by the ever increasing human population. In an event that later came to be known as
the Night of Tears, the elves attacked, nearly wiping out all humans in the process. Only King Ysgramor and his sons escaped
with their lives. They returned to Skyrim with a new Atmoran fleet and drove the elves away in a bloody war of conquest.
And so, Skyrim became the first human kingdom on the continent.

Today, Skyrim is the home of the descendants of those first humans to set foot on the continent: the Nords. It is a cold land,
but far from the frozen wasteland it’s sometimes made out to be: from the grassy tundra of Whiterun to the rocky badlands
of the Reach, Skyrim is a province with a diverse geography. The province is divided into nine Holds, each ruled by a Jarl.
Above the Jarls stands the High King, a Jarl elected to the highest seat of office by his peers. However, the land has been
leaderless since Ulfric Stormcloak - the Jarl of Windhelm - assassinated the High King using his gift of The Voice. The Stormcloak
Rebellion seeks to rid Skyrim of the Empire and, by killing Skyrim's ruler, has sparked a civil war.

The Stormcloaks and Imperials are not the only factions in Skyrim. The Blades, the ancient protectors of the Dragonborn Emperor,
have survived well into the fourth era, though greatly diminished in number. Skyrim’s mages have organized into the
College of Winterhold. The Companions offer swords and axes for hire. The Thieves Guild, hidden in plain sight, is always
looking for new ways to make the poor richer and the rich poorer. The Dark Brotherhood, shrouded in shadows, recruits
individuals with a knack for ending lives. And atop the Throat of the World, the highest mountain in Tamriel, reside
the enigmatic Greybeards, masters of the Voice.

Excerpt: On the Way of the Voice

A wise man once said that words are wind. The Nords of Skyrim interpret this quite literally. Every word they speak, every whisper
they utter, every shout they bellow: all are proof to the Nords of the existence of their goddess of wind and storm, Kyne.
In the Empire, Kyne is better known as blessed Kynareth of the Eight Divines. Worshippers of Kynareth have, long ago,
developed a form of magic that honors the godess with every use. Using the Voice, practitioners - often called Tongues - can form
a thu'um - a shout. Depending on the words used in the shout, a large variety of effects can be achieved: from sharpening
one's weapons to setting an enemy ablaze. Mastery of this craft comes with a great cost, however, as even talking in day-to-day
matters can potentially cause great destruction. For this reason, the most potent Tongues are often kept gagged to avoid any accidents.

Excerpt: On the races of Tamriel

The Empire's influence may have declined, but its multiculturalism has endured. Many races inhabit Tamriel. While each has their own
home province, small populations of each can be found throughout the entire continent. Variety, as they say, is the spice of life.

Pcdpx.png
XVIlI.png

PLMV0.png
ySSjt.png

ZYkgg.png
uk5An.png

WKznI.png
xNkz7.png

zp6ja.png
vkwrw.png

VOaei.png

xR3aU.png

Skyrim is powered by the Creation Engine. Developed in-house by Bethesda, the new engine is built
upon the foundation of Gamebryo, but with significant improvements and optimizations.

Features:
  • Craft your own character
  • Become Dovahkiin, slay dragons and absorb their souls
  • Learn the Dragon language and use it to form a Thu’um, a “Shout”
  • Explore the nine holds of Skyrim, on foot or on horseback
  • Delve into more than 150 hand-crafted dungeons
  • Get lost in Skyrim’s five major cities, or the many towns and villages scattered about
  • Aid the Empire or the Stormcloak Rebellion in the ongoing civil war
  • Never grow bored with the new Radiant Story system, which crafts quests tailored specifically to your character
  • Dual wield weapons and even spells with the new combat system
  • Sprint to get away from danger or up in your enemy’s face
  • Pick a perk every time you level up, make your character truly unique
Skyrim has made a lot of changes and improvements to the TES-formula. For those of us who played Oblivion,
these are the main differences.

• Oblivion's 21 skills have been condensed into 18 and include a few new additions like Pickpocketing
  • Oblivion's 8 attributes have been streamlined into 3 (Health, Magicka, Stamina)
  • You no longer choose major skills, each skill increase helps you level up
  • Birthsigns are no longer chosen at the start of the game
  • You can choose your character’s build, give him a beard of an impressive set of tattoos
  • Different level-scaling system, more akin to Fallout 3 and New Vegas
  • Fast-travel to undiscovered cities now costs gold, you can still fast-travel to locations you’ve discovered using your in-game map
  • New conversation system takes place in real-time
  • You can get married to NPCs of either gender
  • Radiant A.I. has been improved
  • Wildlife no longer automatically attacks you
  • Armor and weapons no longer degrade
  • Chestplates and greaves have been combined into one armor piece
  • Bows are more powerful, but arrows are a lot more rare
  • Lockpicking functions more like in Fallout 3/New Vegas
  • Spells have to be equipped before being used, much like in Morrowind
  • Third-person camera has been significantly improved
  • Backwards running speed has been severely reduced
  • Sneak status is a combination of Oblivion’s and Fallout’s system
  • Health now slowly regenerates outside of combat

ThjDd.png

rKn3X.png

Sw1s5.png

Recommended Specs

• Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
  • Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
  • 4GB System RAM
  • 6GB free HDD space
  • DirectX 9 compatible NVIDIA or AMD ATI video card with 1GB of RAM (Nvidia GeForce
  • GTX 260 or higher; ATI Radeon 4890 or higher).
  • DirectX compatible sound card
  • Internet access for Steam activation

Minimum Specs

• Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
  • Processor: Dual Core 2.0GHz or equivalent processor
  • 2GB System RAM
  • 6GB free HDD Space
  • Direct X 9 compliant video card with 512 MB of RAM
  • DirectX compatible sound card
  • Internet access for Steam activation

Pete Hines said:
The Min specs get you playing. The recommended specs let you play on High, not on Ultra. You'll want beefier rig for that.
Xbox 360 users, be advised: there is currently an issue with certain textures not always loading properly. It's been suggested that playing the game from the disc instead of installing it is a good way to prevent it from happening, though experiences may differ. (It helped for me.)

Jja3Y.png

• Patch 1.1. has already been released, in order to be ready for the game's release. Patch notes have not been released yet.

LBR2a.png

So far, two pieces of DLC for Skyrim have been announced. These will be comparable in size to the DLC for Fallout 3 and New Vegas.
These first two pieces will be released on Xbox 360 first and remain exclusive for 30 days.​

qrkir.png

y0plR.png

sQrCS.png

Trailers

238cI.png

Gameplay Videos

P144q.png

Rock Paper Shotgun said:
Not only is Skyrim, for my money, the game of the year, but… oh this is hard. Very hard. I’m sorry Morrowind – I love you, but I don’t need you anymore. I think, at last, there is a new Best Elder Scrolls Ever.

The review embargo has lifted, the game's doing well. Check the review thread for more details.​

qMz2f.png

yRsK0.png

There are three different editions of Skyrim, one exclusive to the Australia and New Zealand branch of EB Games.

Standard Edition:
YYBpZ.png

Includes the game and a standard paper map. Pre-orders get a premium map.

PC: €49,99/$59.99/£27.99/AUD 89.99
Consoles: €59,99/$59.99/£39,99/AUD 99.99

Collector’s Edition:
YrdWM.png

Also known as the “Who needs food, anyway?”-edition. Includes the game, a premium map, a “Making of Skyrim”-DVD,
a 200 page art book and a statue of Alduin.

All platforms: €149,99/$149.99/£129.99/AUD 199.99

EB Games Collector’s Edition:
xSD3r.png

Exclusive to Australian retailer EB games, this Collector’s Edition includes the game (in a steelbook case), a premium map,
four collectible art prints and a 100pg notebook embossed with the Skyrim logo, because everybody needs to write, right?

PC: AUD 88.00
Consoles: AUD 108.00

To summarize:

Sk4py.png

SKD9s.png

uOzaF.png

Skyrim: Prima Official Game Guide

Contents (bolded is Collector's Edition-exclusive):
  • A large map poster, labeled with important locations, major roads and Hold capitals
  • Multiple character builds, to make a character exactly how you want it to be
  • A comprehensive list of all collectibles hidden in the land of Skyrim
  • A full-blown atlas of Skyrim, with more than 130 detailed maps
  • A list of every weapon and spell available and the best tactics to use them with
  • The whereabouts of every trader, caravan, blacksmith, innkeeper and trained in the game
  • The location of every companion and all buyable properties in the game
  • A code for access to an interactive world map

b9FCG.png

Skyrim: Original Soundtrack

Composed by Jeremy Soule, this 4-disc set features a breadth of music: from the icy sounds inspired by the game's highest
mountain peaks to the powerful themes capturing the magnificence of the dragons. This compilation set will ship the week
following 11.11.11, exclusively from DirectSong.

PLEASE NOTE, all orders placed before December 23rd will be personally autographed by composer Jeremy Soule.

People who pre-order the game at Amazon.de get a bonus disc with five preview tracks on it.

Custom covers

Do you think the regular box art is too bland for your tastes? Do you believe game covers shouldn’t be cluttered
with needless ratings and logos? Our very own GAF Custom Cover-crew has just the thing for you.

By Rengoku and Urbanrats, respectively

Need a new avatar? Simo graciously donated a few for your perusal. Be sure to 'call' them in the thread if you end up using them.

9d1wg.png
r95Y8.png
uKlg0.png
5iWkb.png
3ZoxX.png
Hl141.png

If you're feeling creative, use this handy template to make your current avatar just a bit more Skyrim-y.
Be Dragonborn, even while posting on GAF!
ytGKu.png

Did you play Oblivion and do you want to know what happened after the game ended? Want to freshen up on your lore
before getting lost in Skyrim? Or are you a new player, simply interested in the multitude of stories this big-ass universe offers?
Then check out these novels, they might be just what you're looking for.​

bhQKg.png

qkYS1.png

rbpSV.png

I spent way too many hours on this thread. I hope you guys like it. (If not, I’ll send some dragons to change your mind.)

Needless to say, though, I didn’t do it alone. I’d like to thank my mom, my dad, Bethesda Game Studios, UrbanRats, Nirolak,
Nick Breckon, Lakitu, JambiBum, EteRnal_PAL, CousinLump, El_TigroX, The Lamonster, Simo, Vire, Wallach, Speedymanic, Darklord,
inner-G, LiquidMetal14 and anyone else I forgot to mention. You guys know why. And if you don’t, I probably don’t remember either.
7hanks.​

yt4O8.png

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
This is it. It's time to redeem yourselves Bethesda, show me that you can make an amazing 200-hour experience again!

ced

and so the wait begins...

Can't wait to start my thieving, hoarding, murdering cat man.

stuminus3

Nice OT, very classy.

It's going to be as weird as hell buying a brand new Elder Scrolls game on PC and not having it demand a magical supercomputer from the future to play it at high settings.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Trying to get all my work done before the 11th, because I know what'll happen after that.

:(

zomaha

And Friday is Veteran's Day, which means no work for me.

Can't thank the vets enough for fighting for my freedom to play Skyrim all day.

nice op! game of the forever
well until the next elder scrolls

Also just realized how small the map is compared to oblivion, hopefully it isn't just town after town really close together.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
YES!

In anticipation, I finally "finished" Oblivion last week after playing it over the course of five years. Naturally, the last thing I did was murder my adoring fan. He was asking for it.

Swag

Excellent OP, debating whether to get it Day 1 for the PC or wait for the first major mod influx.

Rad-

Man I really hope this ends up great. Morrowind is one of my favorite games ever and it would be amazing if Bethesda got back to that level.

ironcreed

Banned
A worthy OT, to be sure. The release of a new Elder Scrolls is truly a special occasion and I can't believe it is upon us already. Great job, Blue Ninja.

Lakitu

st5fu
Yes, it's finally here!

Fantastic OT for what will be a fantastic game.

I am so hyped. I've not been this hyped for a game since... I can't even remember when.

zlatko

Banned
The only game I feel has a chance to topple Witcher 2 for me as my GOTY.

Unfortunately I won't be able to play it until December or later. :(

Arcipello

oh thank god for an OT that isnt 100 post long! cant wait for this one, already preordered and hopefully will get it a couple days BEFORE release :)

onken

Pre-order down, probably won't receive it till the week after but just gives me time to finish Deus Ex and Uncharted 3. It's a great month to be a gamer!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Arcipello said:
oh thank god for an OT that isnt 100 post long! cant wait for this one, already preordered and hopefully will get it a couple days BEFORE release :)
Yep, feels very good in fact.

Grisby

Debating whether to start this after Halo anniversary or before.

Oh god, my life is over. Another 100 something hours down the drain. I just hope they fixed the loading increase issues (that Fallout had) and the world imploding stuff (original Oblivion) for the console versions.

It's a new engine though right? So it should be good.

JeTmAn81

I was about to say "two weeks early for OT?", then I realized this comes out in just one short week. Let's get it on!

You guys might appreciate that I'm celebrating my anniversary with my lady tonight instead of next Friday so I can play Skyrim next Friday.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Grisby said:
Debating whether to start this after Halo anniversary or before.

Oh god, my life is over. Another 100 something hours down the drain. I just hope they fixed the loading increase issues (that Fallout had) and the world imploding stuff (original Oblivion) for the console versions.

It's a new engine though right? So it should be good.

Keep dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom