• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Double post, but 1.5. should now be available on Xbox Live, with the PSN following shortly.

Wonder if that "exciting news" is DLC, hope so.

Hmm, what does "Smithing skill increases now factor in the created item’s value" actually mean, no more spamming iron daggers to level smithing properly?

And being able to marry Lydia now, was wondering if they were going to fix that, now if only followers actually levelled stats properly and didn't become useless later on.

Locke_211

According to a minor meltdown on the Bethesda forums, the PS3 version is sort of broken by the patch! You can't go underwater anymore without it completely freezing every time.

UNLESS! You need to uninstall the Skryrim Game Data (NOT the save data; the game data is in a separte folder) and the patch data, and then load the game up so that it reinstalls the game data and gets the latest patch all in one go. Then you can go underwater again!

skynidas

Banned
According to a minor meltdown on the Bethesda forums, the PS3 version is sort of broken by the patch! You can't go underwater anymore without it completely freezing every time.

UNLESS! You need to uninstall the Skryrim Game Data (NOT the save data; the game data is in a separte folder) and the patch data, and then load the game up so that it reinstalls the game data and gets the latest patch all in one go. Then you can go underwater again!

I'm playing the PS3 version with the new patch and my game is not freezing when I go underwater...

Seanspeed

Banned
Hmm, what does "Smithing skill increases now factor in the created item’s value" actually mean, no more spamming iron daggers to level smithing properly?
It sounds like you'll still be able to spam iron daggers, but it'll take a hell of a lot longer. It may not fix the problem, but it'll encourage everyone but the hardcore exploiters to level their smithing the intended way.

Sblargh

Banned
When you get a certain ammount of bow and stealth skill, plus a good bow, it is sooooo good to play stealth on this game.
I actually like wiping out a dungeon without no one even noticing. I like even better when the quest is to skill someone specific and you just one shot him without him ever knowing you were even there.
I really enjoy being a portion of the unfairness of this world.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I think I remember there being a thread for Skyrim Mods somewhere but I can't seem to find it now.

I decided to put off playing Skyrim for a while until after the creation kit was put out and the mod community had some time with it to make some great mods. Did the same thing with Oblivion and I'm really glad I did.

So what are the must have mods to make my Skyrim experience the best it can possibly be? Should I continue to wait a while or is the mod community pretty strong already?

I think I remember there being a thread for Skyrim Mods somewhere but I can't seem to find it now.

I decided to put off playing Skyrim for a while until after the creation kit was put out and the mod community had some time with it to make some great mods. Did the same thing with Oblivion and I'm really glad I did.

So what are the must have mods to make my Skyrim experience the best it can possibly be? Should I continue to wait a while or is the mod community pretty strong already?

Link's in the OT: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457617

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.

While I appreciate the link the OP's in the Mods thread hasn't been updated since the beginning of Feb. I'll try going through the whole thread but it's going to be quite a task in a 24 page mega-thread like that.

If anyone has some of their favorite graphical mods, or gameplay mods they would like to post maybe PM me or something.

Loxley

So I finally got around to downloading quite a few mods from the Steam Workshop. I have to say, the integration is very well done; I hope future games take advantage of it.

Granted none of the "big" mods are there (the UI and graphical enhancement ones that are, for some reason, only on Nexus) but I did manage to get a few interesting ones. One of my favorites is the "Sounds of Skyrim - The Wilds" package, really awesome addition.

Desaan

What the fuck is wrong with this game, just started it up after months of not playing, clean install no mods etc and I'm constantly seeing missing world meshes and textures, just not loading at all - causing no clip and impassable terrain.

I thought the problems of launch would be fixed by now, not increased. Fool me once Bethesda shame on you, fool me twice shame on me I guess.

I finished the game a few months ago, but just randomly picked it up again and realized how much I hadn't done. I haven't done:

* Civil War (never chose a side)
* Dark Brotherhood
* College of Winterhold
* Companions
* Many of the Daedric quests
* Numerous sidequests

I feel like I've still done a lot (Thieves Guild, Main Quest, lots of misc. quests, random dungeon stuff, etc.) but also feel like I'm missing out on some cool stuff.

What are the "not to be missed" quests and quest lines? Is it worth going back in to pick a side for the Civil War? I hate the Stormcloaks, but the Thalmor suck too and the Legion is all cool with those guys. Are the College and Companion quests worth doing?

Of the Daedric Quests, I think I've only done "A Night to Remember" (awesome) and "House of Horrors" (meh). Any others that are really unique (or give awesome loot) I should check out?

Loxley

I literally finished the Civil War quest line about an hour ago, I sided with the Stormcloaks. Without spoiling anything in particular, overall I don't get the feeling that it's an incredibly riveting story. I probably wouldn't prioritize it above everything else you haven't done yet. The quests get pretty repetitive, most of them involve taking Keeps from Imperials.

I haven't done the Imperial side before, so I'm not sure how it differs from the Stormcloak quests.

I literally finished the Civil War quest line about an hour ago, I sided with the Stormcloaks. Without spoiling anything in particular, overall I don't get the feeling that it's an incredibly riveting story. I probably wouldn't prioritize it above everything else you haven't done yet. The quests get pretty repetitive, most of them involve taking Keeps from Imperials.

I haven't done the Imperial side before, so I'm not sure how it differs from the Stormcloak quests.
Good to know, thanks. I was leaning Legion anyway. Might just stay neutral though. As a Bosmer, I have a reason to hate both sides.

Holy wow, the patch added in a new underwater look, too? It looks fantastic. I thought their updated transition just meant they got rid of the part where the you could be underwater but the game would still use the surface lighting.

EDIT: Damn, and some other new effects, too. Fancy.

RPGCrazied

So, I'll ask again. Is the PS3 version worth playing now? I've been hesitant after the poor port it received. I thought I read a patch eventually fixed it? Or its not as bad. I was going to wait for a GOTY edition too.

Just starting out and trying to decide I think between wood elf or high elves. I play as an adept in ME but afraid that might be too weak for Skyrim?

Boss Man

So, I'll ask again. Is the PS3 version worth playing now? I've been hesitant after the poor port it received. I thought I read a patch eventually fixed it? Or its not as bad. I was going to wait for a GOTY edition too.
Hard to say anything about a GOTY edition, which will probably include DLC that we haven't even seen yet. The PS3 version is very much worth playing now though.

I'm playing it right now and it's fine. Obviously you're better off with the PC version, but it's still very playable.

Locke_211

I think it's now almost completely fine. My own save file was unplayable before 1.4. It literally moved forward 1 frame for every few seconds you held the stick up. After 1.4 I've played it for about 50 hours and it's fine. It got that bad once and restarting the PS3 made it go back to being fine and it's not happened again, so that was definitely a one off rather than the default state no matter how many times you restarted, as it was previously.

So the update already added one thing from that "free-for-all" video they posted a while back. This is potentially good news for future updates/DLC.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Is this some sort of fucking joke from bethesda?

I donwloaded the new 1.5 patch and have been playing for days now and I havent noticed any new mellee kills or kill cams with ranged attacks

What the fuck is this shit??

Playing on ps3

Sblargh

Banned
I'm on the PS3 too and archery or magic killcams are fine (and pretty).
Took a bit for them to start working tho. I remember the first dungeon I cleared after the patch didn't had any, then, it just started appearing.

Killcam is the best with those archery stealth kills I am so in love with.

1stStrike

Banned
Is this some sort of fucking joke from bethesda?

I donwloaded the new 1.5 patch and have been playing for days now and I havent noticed any new mellee kills or kill cams with ranged attacks

What the fuck is this shit??

Playing on ps3

I was getting them immediately with magic. I noticed that they seemed to trigger most often when I either 1 shotted something, or when an enemy was low on health and I did a bunch of damage at once. But, I've been getting all kinds of fireball kill cams.

I was getting them immediately with magic. I noticed that they seemed to trigger most often when I either 1 shotted something, or when an enemy was low on health and I did a bunch of damage at once. But, I've been getting all kinds of fireball kill cams.

Shit, I've been getting killcams with the 'Flames' and 'Sparks' spells.

Dries

How many hours do I still have with the Main quest? Now at this point:

Travelled through Blackreach and now I'm at that tower where you have to do that puzzle, with the two shaped lexicons, at the crazy Dwemer mechanic thingie.

DemonNite

Did 1.5 also do something with the water? I've noticed that sub-liquid terrain is now blurry as well as foggy? I like it!

yes. They made it so that it crashes your PS3.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1364560-game-freeze-after-going-underwater/

We've seen reports of users having issues with the game freezing up when entering water. If you're having this issue, head to the PlayStation XMB menu. From there go to Game>Game Data Utility. Delete the game data and title updates for Skyrim.

Note: Game Data is not the same as your game saves. As long as you're not deleting anything from the game saves folder, you'll still have your saves.

Once you restart Skyrim, you'll need to wait for the 1.5 title update to reinstall, as well as the mandatory game data install.

When will this nonsense end for PS3 owners?

Loxley

How many hours do I still have with the Main quest? Now at this point:

Travelled through Blackreach and now I'm at that tower where you have to do that puzzle, with the two shaped lexicons, at the crazy Dwemer mechanic thingie.

I'd say that's probably slightly over 2/3rd's of the way there.

I just finished the main quest myself, and I have to say (slight spoilers if you click the link)...Jeremy Soule is a genius. I got chills when this track kicked in.

I finished the game a few months ago, but just randomly picked it up again and realized how much I hadn't done. I haven't done:

* Dark Brotherhood
* College of Winterhold
* Companions
* Numerous sidequests

I feel like I've still done a lot (Thieves Guild, Main Quest, lots of misc. quests, random dungeon stuff, etc.) but also feel like I'm missing out on some cool stuff.

What are the "not to be missed" quests and quest lines? Is it worth going back in to pick a side for the Civil War? I hate the Stormcloaks, but the Thalmor suck too and the Legion is all cool with those guys. Are the College and Companion quests worth doing?

Of the Daedric Quests, I think I've only done "A Night to Remember" (awesome) and "House of Horrors" (meh). Any others that are really unique (or give awesome loot) I should check out?

Definitely try to do all the Daedric quests. Can't remember specific ones that are awesome (it has been months since I completed them) but they are probably the best set of quests in the game. Dark Brotherhood is pretty great and leads up to quite a large event taking place. The other guild quests are solid so you should really do them all.

Astra

yes. They made it so that it crashes your PS3.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1364560-game-freeze-after-going-underwater/

When will this nonsense end for PS3 owners?

Come on, it wasn't that big of a deal. I installed 1.5, and started playing. I went into the water, and it froze. I immediately checked the Bethesda forums and saw it was a common issue, and the fix was very easy. So I deleted the installed data, and the update, reinstalled, and haven't had a single issue with the game since. No freezes, no severe framerate issues, and no noticeable bugs.

Definitely try to do all the Daedric quests. Can't remember specific ones that are awesome (it has been months since I completed them) but they are probably the best set of quests in the game. Dark Brotherhood is pretty great and leads up to quite a large event taking place. The other guild quests are solid so you should really do them all.

I love the Daedric Quests, and many of the items you get. I love the sword
Dawnbreaker from Meridia. It's awesome when I am exploring tombs overrun with Daugr
Really enjoyed the Thieves Guild quest-line, too. Love the
Nightingale Armor
it looks badass.

So disappointed with the College of Winterhold quest. I was excited to start the Mage quest-line, then it was over before I knew it. What a tease.

* Dark Brotherhood
* College of Winterhold
* Companions
* Numerous sidequests

There's a sidequest in Solitude called the 'Mind of Madness' I believe, that is pretty good. There's a dude that'll tell you that his Master is missing or something along those lines. It turns into a cool sidequest with a cool reward. The Dark Brotherhood is kind of interesting since it has some pretty unique things that happen compared to the rest of the game. It wasn't as good as the Thieve's Guild, but it was still a decent quest that you should probably do. Haven't finished the Companions side quest because I didn't want to do what happens in the Underforge so I can't comment about it.

Edit: Also, I enjoyed the little quest you get from Eola if you go in the Markarth Hall of the Dead I believe (door is blocked by the priest). It was awesome to randomly come upon it.

1stStrike

Banned
There's a sidequest in Solitude called the 'Mind of Madness' I believe, that is pretty good. There's a dude that'll tell you that his Master is missing or something along those lines. It turns into a cool sidequest with a cool reward. The Dark Brotherhood is kind of interesting since it has some pretty unique things that happen compared to the rest of the game. It wasn't as good as the Thieve's Guild, but it was still a decent quest that you should probably do. Haven't finished the Companions side quest because I didn't want to do what happens in the Underforge so I can't comment about it.

Edit: Also, I enjoyed the little quest you get from Eola if you go in the Markarth Hall of the Dead I believe (door is blocked by the priest). It was awesome to randomly come upon it.

Even if you're not too into the dark brotherhood questline, it gives you some of the best looking armor in the game (there's also a sidequest you can get which lets you get an improved version of the armor with "Ancient" in front of it), and obviously the best horse in the game. Black horse with glowing red eyes and more HP than regular horses? Yes please.

Even if you're not too into the dark brotherhood questline, it gives you some of the best looking armor in the game (there's also a sidequest you can get which lets you get an improved version of the armor with "Ancient" in front of it), and obviously the best horse in the game. Black horse with glowing red eyes and more HP than regular horses? Yes please.

Yeah I actually enjoyed the meat of the Dark Brotherhood, and decked out my follower with Dark Brotherhood armour since I prefer the Nightingale armour for myself. She looks pretty badass in it, and having the horse is pretty cool too.

They should implement shit like this on consoles.

They'd need to fix the save system before doing that. Every time I've had a glitch or funny behavior on the 360 I have gone to my saves, deleted enough that I only have 10-15 left, and the game has started to behave normally again. Happens every time with Bethesda games.

They'd need to fix the save system before doing that. Every time I've had a glitch or funny behavior on the 360 I have gone to my saves, deleted enough that I only have 10-15 left, and the game has started to behave normally again. Happens every time with Bethesda games.

I keep three saves per character, max. Once I'm done with a character, I remove every save but one. I'm on my fifth character now and I think I have eight saves stored right now.

Is there a method to getting all the Dragonpriest masks? I think I have four of them after 80+ hours/level 48, and had a big time gap between the last two. The most recent one I got by asking Old Man Shoutsalot for the location of another word and the location just happening to have one (and a quest that I didn't know existed until I got the item finishing it). Is there some other way of getting location info for the masks?

1stStrike

Banned
Is there a method to getting all the Dragonpriest masks? I think I have four of them after 80+ hours/level 48, and had a big time gap between the last two. The most recent one I got by asking Old Man Shoutsalot for the location of another word and the location just happening to have one (and a quest that I didn't know existed until I got the item finishing it). Is there some other way of getting location info for the masks?

Should be on the skyrim wiki. Just do a search on there.

The mask that lets you breath in water and raises load by 20 is amazing.

Top Bottom