• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

Wadiwasi

Banned
I had completely forgotten about Skyrim. I remember playing it for a little bit, up to where I got my first dragonshout or 2 I think. I didn't get very far into it, may have to pick it up.

My problem is time, I need more so I can do more. That whole Highlander immortality thing is sounding pretty good.....

kris.

Banned
the combo of the Assassin's Blade perk and the Shrouded Gloves is so fun. sneak up behind someone and boom slit throat ur dead, son

kidko

Played about 6 hours so far, buttery smooth and great looking. No crashes yet (knock on wood) but also without any mods yet. Love quicksave. Set my nvidia profile to vsync "fast" and so far no weird physics engine frame rate issues.

Freeman76

Why does foliage "flicker" so much on PS4 when you pan the camera around? It is so damn distracting. It's like the foliage darkens when the camera is moving, then it brightens back up when the camera stops

So glad i read this, thank you for saving me the dissapointment of buying it to find this out afterwards. I have no idea what causes this, 99% of games are fine. I had this issue on Dying Light and FC Primal, totally ruins immersion. The only way i found to stop it is to turn the sharpness right down on my tv, which makes the games look like N64 era. I hope the issue is eradicated on PRO.

YES! They seem to have fixed the extremely annoying "windows mouse cursor visible on top of game cursor" -bug that almost made me stop playing the base game.

Now I can finally replay this thing, and perhaps complete some DLC too instead of just the base game.

Just bought this on amazon prime now for £29 and should be here in a few hours!

Are the graphical enhancements that big over the ps3 version?

GHG

Gold Member
I told myself I wouldn't heavily mod the game this time round and actually spend time playing it rather than fooling around with mods but I've just spent the last half an hour looking at mods on nexus.

Help.

I'm so glad I never finished the game on PC. Going to be so awesome to go back and start where I left off with a better looking game for free and running on a 1070. Or I may start from the beginning.

I won't get to play it until Monday morning though. :(

Apocalypse Magic and Ordinator are up. Now the real Skyrim begins.

Nah, the real Skyrim begins when ALL of EnaiSiaion's mods are ported.
I love Thunderchild, there's no other shout mod that comes even close. Being able to improve your shouts over the course of a playthrough feels amazing.

Staf

Wow, totally forgot how much more awesome it is not having a voiced protagonist/fucked up dialogue system in an RPG. Playing Skyrim it really feels like i'm shaping/building my character instead of like Fallout 4 or Dragon age where i'm more like the puppeteer of a already defined character. I get so much more invested in the character with Skyrim's system.

If the sequel have a voiced protagonist i will fucking riot.

Unicorn

Please, everyone do yourself a favor and get Ordinator Perks mod. Literally changes the game and makes it so good. Was waiting for it to come out again to play SE and it's already available!

Sooooo much added for new builds and unique abilities.

Trying to enable frostfall through the main mod menu but I get a message saying

This mod cannot be installed since it depebds on files that aren't present

Is that cause I haven't actually started a game yet?

Also we really need a new recommend mod thread.

Drazgul

Please, everyone do yourself a favor and get Ordinator Perks mod. Literally changes the game and makes it so good. Was waiting for it to come out again to play SE and it's already available!

Sooooo much added for new builds and unique abilities.

Ordinator is fine, but Requiem is better. Doesn't just fiddle with the perks, it actually makes the combat fun.

Unicorn

Ordinator is fine, but Requiem is better. Doesn't just fiddle with the perks, it actually makes the combat fun.
I tried requiem prior to Ordinator and as a level 1 character not being able to run made it impossible. It was sooooo difficult until about level 7 or 8 and it forced me to take certain skills/perks just to start feeling like I could play more than killing mudcrabs. Maybe it was an older version and it's been better balanced, but Ordinator was instantly rewarding and has some great top level perks that had me dreaming up all sorts of builds I wanted for new characters.

This question might have been asked a couple of times but;

I played Skyrim on the PS3 without having played all the DLC. I never could finish the game because of the bug riddled mess it was. I probably played around 100 hours before giving up.

Should I just go get this for 49,- or wait till it is on sale? I loathed Fallout 4. It's just not my cup of tea but Elder Scrolls always has a special place in my heart.

Foxxsoxx

I played Skyrim on the PS3 without having played all the DLC. I never could finish the game because of the bug riddled mess it was. I probably played around 100 hours before giving up.

Should I just go get this for 49,- or wait till it is on sale? I loathed Fallout 4. It's just not my cup of tea but Elder Scrolls always has a special place in my heart.

I don't have the remaster, but as someone who had it on Ps3 and played the hell out of it, I'd wait for a sale.

The game is 5 years old with some small upgrades but nothing crazy especially with the basic mod support PS4 has.

Black Friday isn't far off and Target is doing B2G1 free in a few days. I'd do those or wait for a price drop.

I think it's worth it in your case.

The PS3 version was awful and the DLC has the best content in the game imo.

DOWN

Banned

I hate Fallout 4 and consider Skyrim a masterpiece like everyone else in the world.

theres hints of good atmosphere in Fallout 4's world, but it's rare and the rest feels stale and lacks charm compared to Skyrim. It's no accident that Skyrim was a slam dunk at Game of the Year awards and raced to the high charts of all time best selling games on console.

Truth be told, it's an old game and Bethesda is always behind on tech as is, so waiting is safer. But if you didn't mind it back then you should be pretty ok. If you have a love for Elder Scrolls, Skyrim Special Edition is the most playable version of the style available, albeit considered simpler than its predecessors.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I hate Fallout 4 and consider Skyrim a masterpiece like everyone else in the world.

theres hints of good atmosphere in Fallout 4's world, but it's rare and the rest feels stale and lacks charm compared to Skyrim. It's no accident that Skyrim was a slam dunk at Game of he Year awards and raced to the high charts of all time best selling games on console.

If you have a love for Elder Scrolls, Skyrim Special Edition is the most playable version of the style available, albeit considered simpler than its predecessors.

Skyrim after all those years still holds up for me, because of how "free" I feel in it. My character is a Nord woman who'll end up becoming a thief after being arrested and almost executed. She's also destined to save the world from a dragon, and a soul eating Dragon priest. And will be good for most of her life, except that lull where she'll feed on the living as a vampire lord. But she'll turn around. She's a master archer, swordswoman and alchemist.

I understand that there are better roleplaying games, where you actually ARE playing a role. I understand that Geralt of Rivia's decisions shape his world in a way, that my character in Skyrim never will. But truly I don't give a goddamn. I just want a huge toyboy/DnD like bland slate to do whatever I want in it. And Skyrim still gives me that.

Bethesda utterly fucked up on Fallout 4. They missed what made their own games this playable. That sense of freedom of making up whatever the hell you want. I mean I could marry, adopt a bunch of kids, build a house and peddle potions to level 200 if I wanted to. Meanwhile Fallout 4....well you are an angry parent who cannot choose anything but finding the kid. Even in a game with no legitimate choice...they took the illusion away! You can't even be evil!

Skyrim might be a poor RPG to people used to Fallout 2, Arcanum and Planescape...But I don't want that from it. I just want a gorgeous world to fuck around in, and make up my own stories and my own consequences.

Goddamn I love this game.

Freeman76

If you played 100 hours that is a plentiful amount of time to know if it is worth 49 to you, nobody can realistically tell you what is worthwhile for you apart from yourself, especially considering 100 hours is a LOT of time to spend with a game. The fact you need to ask suggests you arent confident so dont bother and wait for a sale. If its a game you want day one I assume you dont usually ask the internet if it's going to be worthwhile for you to buy it?

Spamification1

Neo Member
Trying to enable frostfall through the main mod menu but I get a message saying

This mod cannot be installed since it depebds on files that aren't present

Is that cause I haven't actually started a game yet?

Also we really need a new recommend mod thread.

Not sure if it's a sure fix but I had the same issue and it fixed itself when I also installed the Campfire mod.

Shoogoo

Now I manage to load the actual game, but when I hit New Game, the game is stuck on that Skyrim emblem. The music is playing but it's just stuck there. Wtf Bethesda, good thing I didn't pay for this.

Are there any online-sites in EU where I could buy this for PS4-download on better price?

Would love to know this as well. I'm a huge fan of digital games, but pricing on Sony and MS stores is crazy. We're in desperate need of online competition if retail is finally going to keel over and die, and GAME UK is well ahead of the curve on that one.
Skyrim after all those years still holds up for me, because of how "free" I feel in it. My character is a Nord woman who'll end up becoming a thief after being arrested and almost executed. She's also destined to save the world from a dragon, and a soul eating Dragon priest. And will be good for most of her life, except that lull where she'll feed on the living as a vampire lord. But she'll turn around. She's a master archer, swordswoman and alchemist.

I understand that there are better roleplaying games, where you actually ARE playing a role. I understand that Geralt of Rivia's decisions shape his world in a way, that my character in Skyrim never will. But truly I don't give a goddamn. I just want a huge toyboy/DnD like bland slate to do whatever I want in it. And Skyrim still gives me that.

Bethesda utterly fucked up on Fallout 4. They missed what made their own games this playable. That sense of freedom of making up whatever the hell you want. I mean I could marry, adopt a bunch of kids, build a house and peddle potions to level 200 if I wanted to. Meanwhile Fallout 4....well you are an angry parent who cannot choose anything but finding the kid. Even in a game with no legitimate choice...they took the illusion away! You can't even be evil!

Skyrim might be a poor RPG to people used to Fallout 2, Arcanum and Planescape...But I don't want that from it. I just want a gorgeous world to fuck around in, and make up my own stories and my own consequences.

Goddamn I love this game.

I can feel your passion =D

I mostly agree, but I feel like Fallout 4 comes in to its own if you enjoy Settlements. That WAS the game for me. Screw the kid, I have to build a city at the Starlight Drive In that rivals Diamond City in size, and set up a network of smaller settlements to supply it. I'm going to single-handedly rebuild the Commonwealth and return this land to a state of civilization. THAT brought a level of interaction to the gameworld that Skyrim can never match, and instead of being character focused it felt world-focused. I'm already missing that in Skyrim SE, because playing to improve myself doesn't feel as rewarding as playing to improve the quality of life for everyone around me.

Couple that with the recent Nuka World DLC that lets you raid Settlements instead, and build them up as Raider outposts and strongholds, slowly converting the Commonwealth into your criminal mastermind empire, and it fixes the other issue I had with the game - too much emphasis on being the hero. I do completely understand that if you're not into Settlements though... this does absolutely nothing for your enjoyment of the game, and you're left with a character-focused game that lacks the depth TES games provide, or the story quality or New Vegas.

Wow, totally forgot how much more awesome it is not having a voiced protagonist/fucked up dialogue system in an RPG. Playing Skyrim it really feels like i'm shaping/building my character instead of like Fallout 4 or Dragon age where i'm more like the puppeteer of a already defined character. I get so much more invested in the character with Skyrim's system.

I can only hope Bethesda heard the intense screaming outrage against our sarcastic BUDDY in Fallout 4 and actually listened for once.

They won't have. One race. One voice. One vision.

Chumley

Banned
Even the absolute worst dialogue and writing in Skyrim is still better than the best in Fallout 4. The world itself and landscapes are also fucking gorgeous especially with the SE improvements, still my third favorite open world after The Witcher 3 and RDR.

Coxy100

Banned

Completely disagree. For me hearing the character talk adds immersion . If they can't talk it destroys the immersion and reminds you you're playing a game and all you can do is just select some txt on the screen.

GTA was so much better after '3' when your character could talk - I would always choose a voiced protagonist over a silent one...

Completely disagree. For me hearing the character talk adds immersion . If they can't talk it destroys the immersion and reminds you you're playing a game and all you can do is just select some txt on the screen.

GTA was so much better after '3' when your character could talk - I would always choose a voiced protagonist over a silent one...

Yeah, I didn't mind the voiced protagonist in FO4, the issue I had was with the terrible dialogue choice screen. Knowing entirely what you're going to say in Skyrim is infinitely better than having to guess at intent like in FO4

If you played 100 hours that is a plentiful amount of time to know if it is worth 49 to you, nobody can realistically tell you what is worthwhile for you apart from yourself, especially considering 100 hours is a LOT of time to spend with a game. The fact you need to ask suggests you arent confident so dont bother and wait for a sale. If its a game you want day one I assume you dont usually ask the internet if it's going to be worthwhile for you to buy it?

Thanks for your psychological founding, Dr. Freeman.

The reason I asked if this is worth 49,- is because of the fact that I never played the DLC and I am wondering if it will be worth the extra cash just for that. I did not ask for a life lesson.

The reason I asked if this is worth 49,- is because of the fact that I never played the DLC and I am wondering if it will be worth the extra cash just for that. I did not ask for a life lesson.

I think the DLC is well worth it, but it's just whether or not you can also be bothered with levelling up to the appropriate range

AJ_Wings

Even the absolute worst dialogue and writing in Skyrim is still better than the best in Fallout 4. The world itself and landscapes are also fucking gorgeous especially with the SE improvements, still my third favorite open world after The Witcher 3 and RDR.

Strongly agree with that. As dull and un-memorable some of the quests, and in honesty it has its share of bad ones, nothing is as absolutely awful as fucking "Kid in a Fridge".

Dragonborn in particular is amazing. A whole new island to explore, with brand new assets for new dungeons and ruins, as well as new trees and flora to make it feel different enough from the base game, but still keeps that Skyrim aesthetic.

Dawnguard is good if you want a vampire character, or love hunting them, since it really expands on that gameplay and lore, and adds a new perk tree for vamp players. It's also very story-oriented if you're into that, plus it adds crossbows which feel pretty damn good. The story is still standard Bethesda quality though, so don't get too excited if that's a selling point for you =P

Hearthfire is the divisive one. I love it, but I also loved Settlements in Fallout 4. If you like the idea of having to build a home and customize it piece by piece, gathering or purchasing the necessary resources and materials (and even the land to build on) then you'll enjoy it. If you prefer just buying a house and instantly having it, then you'll probably find it a hindrance and ignore the new systems altogether. It only affects three new houses added by this DLC though, so Breezehome etc are exactly as they were in the vanilla game. Also, you can adopt kids, which may or may not be your cup of tea. But there are mods that add adorable Khajiit children so YAY!

So it's down to what you enjoy really. I'd say if you loved exploration from the base game then you'll probably consider the DLC worth it for Dragonborn alone.

Dragonborn in particular is amazing. A whole new island to explore, with brand new assets for new dungeons and ruins, as well as new trees and flora to make it feel different enough from the base game, but still keeps that Skyrim aesthetic.

Dawnguard is good if you want a vampire character, or love hunting them, since it really expands on that gameplay and lore, and adds a new perk tree for vamp players. It's also very story-oriented if you're into that, plus it adds crossbows which feel pretty damn good. The story is still standard Bethesda quality though, so don't get too excited if that's a selling point for you =P

Hearthfire is the divisive one. I love it, but I also loved Settlements in Fallout 4. If you like the idea of having to build a home and customize it piece by piece, gathering or purchasing the necessary resources and materials (and even the land to build on) then you'll enjoy it. If you prefer just buying a house and instantly having it, then you'll probably find it a hindrance and ignore the new systems altogether. It only affects three new houses added by this DLC though, so Breezehome etc are exactly as they were in the vanilla game. Also, you can adopt kids, which may or may not be your cup of tea. But there are mods that add adorable Khajiit children so YAY!

So it's down to what you enjoy really. I'd say if you loved exploration from the base game then you'll probably consider the DLC worth it for Dragonborn alone.

Fuck it. I am buying it tomorrow. The Dawnguard and Dragonborn DLC sound amazing.

Top Bottom