• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition PC performance thread

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

(Click for general game info.)

System requirements:
skyrimsesysreqsndszv.jpg

Latest drivers: (as at 21/12/2017)
Nvidia: 388.71
AMD: 17.12.2
Intel: Depends on your processor; download the driver update utility

Benchmarks:
GameGPU (Russian; launch build)

Tips and tricks:
Cap the framerate/potentially improve frametimes: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server, input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit enter (the program comes bundled with MSI Afterburner and earlier versions of EVGA PrecisionX). Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU have the option of Nvidia Inspector, which can also be used to impose a framerate cap, either in a similar manner to RTSS or by way of forcing a different vsync interval (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if you your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frametimes. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower framerate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Stop the game from crashing after 15 minutes on touch-capable systems running Windows 10: Open the task manager, switch to the Services tab and disable TabletInputService. (Credit to SamaelShih @ Microsoft Answers via Green Wiggly here on GAF via breander.)
Disable double-buffer v-sync/remove 60fps cap: Open Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\SkyrimPrefs.ini and set iVsyncpresentinterval to 0. Just be sure to cap the framerate to 60fps as the physics engine doesn't properly support higher framerates.
Fix wonky physics: As above, ensure the game is capped to 60fps as the physics engine doesn't properly support higher framerates.
Enable basic Steam Controller support: Untick "Controller" in the in-game settings menu. (Credit to Dr. Benton Quest.)
Skip the intro video: Open Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\Skyrim.ini and add SIntroSequence=1 to the General section. (Credit to jony_m.)
Run the game in an ultra-wide resolution: Follow the instructions here. (Credit to jony_m.) Additionally, install this mod. (Credit to InAComaDial999 @ Nexus Mods via c0Zm1c.)
Fix unusually poor performance on G-Sync-capable systems: Open Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\SkyrimPrefs.ini and set iVsyncpresentinterval to 0. (Credit to ^ One-Up ^ @ Steam Community via jorimt.)
Note: Once again, the game's physics engine doesn't properly support framerates above 60fps, so be sure to either change your refresh rate to 60Hz or use RTSS to impose as 60fps cap.
Fix poor performance/start-up issues on laptops: Use the AMD/Nvidia control panel to force a preference for your system's dedicated GPU. Serato's website, of all places, has a visual guide on how to do this (ignore the opening Intel section). (Credit to Eusis.)
Reduce the level of black crush: Open Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\Skyrim.ini and add fGlobalContrastBoost=-0.2 to the Display section. You can adjust the value to your liking; just be sure it's negative as otherwise you'll be exacerbating the issue. (Credit to Kaffeemann.)

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to mention my username as this way the post will appear among the results when I search for my username after an absence. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

Graphics settings:
skyrimsegfxsettings13q63.jpg

Aspect ratio: Self-explanatory
Resolution: Self-explanatory
Anti-aliasing: Off; FXAA; TAA

skyrimsegfxsettingskxoxf.jpg

Shadow quality: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Shadow distance: Medium; High; Ultra
Decal quantity: None; Medium; High
Godrays quality: Off; Low; Medium; High

skyrimsegfxsettings2vpsr.jpg

Distant object detail: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Object detail fade: Low; Medium; High

4690K / GTX 1070 / 16GB RAM

during the intro the framerate drops into the single digits and goes back normal constantly...no idea what's going on

Danlord

I'm running i7 4790K, GTX 970 and 16GB RAM (Way ahead of the recommended spec) on Windows 7, driver 372.54. Unpacked fine. Just sitting through the boring opening. No other in-game settings, just the extra Depth of Field slider as present in the Console versions.

Lol, game crashed as soon as I took out the weapon I got off the body at the start of the game.

Playing on High settings, 660 TI, FX 8350, 12GB RAM, WIN 10.

n0razi

30-60fps here... 6700k/GTX1070 on a 1440p/144Hz monitor.. sucks cause Im used to 120-144fps playing Overwatch

I don't know whats happening but I haven't even made my character yet and the framerate keeps dropping to the single digits.

i7 6700k/ gtx 1080 1440p/144 gsync monitor.

anyone know a solution?

Trace

Banned
Maxed out everything on 980ti, it looks like a lightly modded Skyrim, but the textures are painfully low resolution, same as vanilla Skyrim I guess.

So Pascal chipset are having issues but Maxwell isn't? That's very odd.

Edit: friend of mine has a 6600k no OC and a gtx 960 4gb and he's saying he's getting a solid 60fps.

Dolobill

Sounds like Nvidia 10-series cards are performing worse than 970's? Poor performance was noticeable immediately for me. i5 6600K / GTX 1070. Swinging from 30-60 fps constantly.

Great so far for me.

60 fps at 1080p max settings with a 1530MHz GTX 970 and i7 4790K at 4.8GHz with 16GB of 2400MHz ram.

Going to play more of this game later today, pretty tired right now seeing as it's 1:37 AM in the UK.

So, is there any reason to have this version of the game on PC? I imagine all mods will be incompatible with it unless their creators update them?

Zexen

i7 4790K - SLI 980Ti (No SLI currently) - 16Gb - W10

Max Settings, 3840x2160, dipped to 45 at the lowest (Just Helgein for the moment)

But holy freaking s***, I'm way too used to ENB, textures, meshes, foliages mods and craps because this is god damn ugly. The textures are crap, the poly count is incredibly low, the black level is really badly tuned.

On the orhter hand, shadows are really sweet and "god rays" are neat. Now to go to Whiterun and see if that area is still as CPU bottlenecked as Vanilla is.

Storm360

Wait so wtf was the point of this?

It's now 64 bit for a start.

This game is glitched for me it seems, I have 30fps locked in windowed mode, and in full screen I get 90fps with stuttering.

i5 2500k, GTX 980Ti, 16GB Ram, running off a SSD with nothing else running on it.

Corsick

So I heard this version will allow for more complex and advanced mods, is that true? Or is it a rather minor difference in mod capabilities?

Trace

Banned
i7 4790K - SLI 980Ti (No SLI currently) - 16Gb - W10

Max Settings, 3840x2160, dipped to 45 at the lowest (Just Helgein for the moment)

But holy freaking s***, I'm way too used to ENB, textures, meshes, foliages mods and craps because this is god damn ugly. The textures are crap, the poly count is incredibly low, the black level is really badly tuned.

On the orhter hand, shadows are really sweet and "god rays" are neat. Now to go to Whiterun and see if that area is still as CPU bottlenecked as Vanill is..

Yea the lighting is a huge step up from vanilla. Everything else seems to be the same though.

So I heard this version will allow for more complex and advanced mods, is that true? Or is it a rather minor difference in mod capabilities?

Not so much more complex/advanced, more that you can run more mods without the game crashing/slowing down as much because the game can access more RAM. That's the thought at least, we don't know atm.

Hopefully it's enough of a step up that a new ENB would be worth it.

rpmboy

Physics break at above 60fps? I don't know what's up with this port. The game locks me at 60fps, then if go into Task Manager the fps cap gets upped to my monitor's refresh rate?

RK9039

Wait so wtf was the point of this?

Probably consoles as the above poster said, considering the fact that it's basically free on PC. Plus I guess they need the PC modding community to get behind this version so that the console players can experience those mods in some limited capacity.

Trace

Banned
Physics break at above 60fps? I don't know what's up with this port. The game locks me at 60fps, then if go into Task Manager the fps cap gets upped to my monitor's refresh rate?

Bethesda's engine has always borked the physics above 60. Fallout 4 was the same.

This is what I was looking for, the original Skyrim also completely broke at over 60 FPS

i'm still gonna play but that's sad.

nBurbidge

Neo Member
i5 3570k @4.2Ghz, GTX 1070 and 16GB RAM running the game maxed out at 1080p at a pretty consistent 60FPS, a couple of drops but nothing major down to 53 at lowest.

Edit: I think I'll actually hold off playing more until more mods and SKSE release, I played far too much of the original release heavily modded with graphics mods and most importantly SkyUI.

BizzyBum

Yeah, this was definitely more for console players who had no choice but to play it on the 360 and PS3. To them this upgrade is huge.

Once PC gets all the mods again for the SE this version will look stunning at 4K.

Game looks pretty good and runs well on my 980. I'm getting some weird effect on people's faces during the character creation screen.

Top Bottom