• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition PC performance thread

I had forgotten how awful the non-modded Skyrim textures were, god damn.

And yeah, with gsync on the game slows and hitches to the single digits. Turning it off fixes the issue tho. Alt-tabbing out unlocks the framerate weirdly enough, slow motion shouts!

I'm getting ~30-45ish FPS outside and ~50-60+ FPS inside on FX8350 4.5GHz/R9 380 @ 1440p.

My main issue is the crashing that's been happening every 15 or so minutes. Everything else is smooth otherwise, probably even smoother than the original.

Also, there's no option for fullscreen for some smaller resolutions? I get all the options with windowed/borderless but only a few options without it.

FOV doesn't seem to be working correctly, either.

played through the intro and escape part up to the exit to Skyrim...with GSYNC off and it set to Maximum Performance I was running Ultra/1440p with 0 issues

(again 4690K / GTX 1070 / 16GB RAM if anyone didn't see before)

i5 4690k 16GB ram, gtx 970

Ran from Whiterun to Riften real quick with speedmult 500 and it's locked 60 at 1080p max. Looks alright, it's better than vanilla but not by much.

Ingram

Check the same thing I mentioned to someone else in the OT here.

Yea I've never used the app so I'm not set up to log in. I don't think anything from that is actually running as I've not had any issues with other games. I'm not that fussed as I don't think I will be playing Skyrim I just wanted to play around with it. Thanks for the suggestion :)

EDIT: Just remembered I ran some w10privacy app that disabled the majority of apps running in the background so should be fine.

Copper

Rock solid 60 fps here with 6600K @ 4.6 Ghz and a 1070

Although I think I'll stick with my normal modded skyrim for now.

wSBZWkA.png

PqFBCnL.jpg

Also I'm pretty sure that ini edit for 21:9 will cut off parts on the top and bottom. You have to adjust the fov I think.

cool to note the open cities mod has zero impact on performance.

Geoff9920

Turning off Gsync and capping at 60 (which I expected) fixed all my issues.

I forgot what the original UI looked like...
KuGsj.gif
The wait for SKSE begins...

Kildrek

I72600k not OC, gtx 1070, 20gb of ram, running at 1440p capped at 60 no drops at all so far.

Just finished intro movie, so maybe I'll see these frame drops I'm afraid the 10 series cards are having

Vitacat

Well, it will run at 21:9 if you change the resolution in the ini file, but the UI gets cut off at the top and bottom.

I guess we need a Flawless Widescreen hack...

If this wasn't a free upgrade I'd be pretty upset at Bethesda for slacking on 21:9 support in late 2016. But, it was free.

Brannon

First time using Rivatuner Statistics Server; is there a way to get the FPS to show in the corner. I've turned it on but maybe there's something I'm missing.

First time using Rivatuner Statistics Server; is there a way to get the FPS to show in the corner. I've turned it on but maybe there's something I'm missing.

Should be an OSD setting in afterburner. Turn it on. There are also boxes you have to check to show what you want it to.

Edit: It's in the monitoring tab after clicking settings.

breander

Neo Member
Running at ultra with a i5 3570k, amd 390x and 16gb Ram getting pretty solid 60fps a few dips to like 57 and 58 here and there no big deal. But I am crashing every 15 mins like clock work.

Wanace

I just updated to the latest drivers for my Nvidia GTX 970M with 6GB of VRAM and even on low preset I was getting 14 FPS in the opening scene.

What the hell.

I had to alt-tab out of game and alt-tab back in to get it to show up. Just turning it on while in game didn't work for me.

Wallach

I just updated to the latest drivers for my Nvidia GTX 970M with 6GB of VRAM and even on low preset I was getting 14 FPS in the opening scene.

What the hell.

Someone else here said that it defaulted to integrated graphics in the settings. Check from the launcher.

As someone who never played skyrim on the PC is the base SE version the best looking version? Or are their mods that made the old game look better?

I had to alt-tab out of game and alt-tab back in to get it to show up. Just turning it on while in game didn't work for me.

Ya. Sometimes I forget to turn it on before I start a game. You have to restart.

Well sometimes. Some games it actually works but it puts me at windowed mode. That doesn't work for me considering I use freesync.

leng jai

As someone who never played skyrim on the PC is the base SE version the best looking version? Or are their mods that made the old game look better?

Old game with mods looks 10 times better. We'll have to wait for the SE to get all the old mods to work with it, then it'll be the best looking version.

There are mods that make it look better than now for sure. You better have one hell of a beefy pc, tho.

The graphics mods that I installed last year made my 290x cry like a little bitch at first. Some tinkering in the .ini files made it run fine afterwards.

Dolobill

I tried Prefer Maximum Performance, I'm using RTSS... messed with other vsync options like Fast Sync... Still running like crap on my i5 6600K / GTX 1070. I guess I'm out for now.

There are mods that make it look better than now for sure. You better have one hell of a beefy pc, tho.

The graphics mods that I installed last year made my 290x cry like a little bitch at first. Some tinkering in the .ini files made it run fine afterwards.

Probably the wrong thread, but what are the better ones? And if it already looked better, what's so great about this version?

nightviz1on

Neo Member
I just played through the opening sequence and roamed around the world a bit (~30 minutes of playtime) and the game runs fantastic for me. I did not experience any slowdown with all settings maxed and stayed at 60 FPS the entire time. Granted, my specs are high end, so it's expected (even though FO4 still runs horribly). My specs are below for reference:

i7 5820K @ 4.4 GHz
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
16GB DDR4 RAM @ 2400
Windows 10 Pro
1440P monitor 60Hz

I'm very glad they added in the windowed borderless option. The subtle depth of field effects look great and certainly add a nice touch, most ENB profiles tend to over do it. Overall, I'm impressed thus far, it does still look dated with the lighting and laughable animations though.

jorimt

A fix for what, exactly? The performance issues?

Yes and no. It's allows G-Sync to work. G-Sync users are experiencing single digit frames. They apparently renamed "iPresentInterval" to "iVSyncPresentInterval." I feel stupid for not finding it sooner myself. I was looking for the original setting to disable, not thinking it had changed its name. I should have done an in-file text search.

Eusis

TO EVERYONE ON (nVidia) LAPTOPS:

For some god forsaken reason this doesn't start with going to the discrete GPU if you don't have that set as the default option anyway. Bethesda must not have communicated with nVidia much to get this whitelisted ASAP. Go into Control Panel and change it, I couldn't even get the game to show video initially.

Anyways, I guess I need to adjust the FOV for better 1:1 images, but here's the original, and here's the Special Edition, using the same save copied over:

EDIT: There is definitely some funny business going on with the FOV given that 80 FOV on the SE is equivalent to 65 it seems in the original. Anyways, changed the SE link to the 80 FOV one to be more exact, but if you want the original 65 (?) FOV shot here.

Dmented

Banned
Can I decline this update

Talk has my hype to play but I don't want to even mess with this on pc

Decline the update? You mean not install the Special Edition version? If so, it comes in a separate entry on Steam so you have both OG Skyrim and Special Edition.

Dolobill

How do I check (or change) which GPU the game is running on? If it's running on the integrated CPU graphics card, that would explain my performance issues.

Top Bottom