• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The emperors new clothes in art.

Lone Denjin

I was reading about this story
It made me think of the concept of the Emperors new clothes.
Then i had to think, is he doing this to be a troll? As in "you art critics would buy any old shit as art" and watch them clap along not daring to question the art because their peers would accuse them of "not getting it". It reminds me of the artists shit exhibit. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artist's_Shit
Are we getting closer to just peak bullshit art? As in i can go and grab a trash bag and rip the top off and put it in a white room and come up with a long pretentious drivel about how it represents the struggle of Iranian dirt farmers?
The thought also springs to mind that this is a fake satire story, that has been picked up, but i can't be bothered to do in depth research to see at the moment.
So what do you guys think? Master class of art that Salvador Dali would be envious of or just bullshit?

Last edited:
Are we getting closer to just peak bullshit art?
It's even less substance than that John Cage 4'33 song of silence.
Yes it's bullshit. But I reckon that's a reflection of culture at large.

Apollo_%26_Daphne_September_2a.jpg

Lone Denjin

Grifters gonna grift.
I usually would think that. But i feel it is more deeper than just a con man selling someone bullshit. It is not the first of its kind of what i would consider talent less art. There is a few cases of people having gallery's full of rubbish from trash bins, and because of the "meaning" the art critics have given it glowing reviews. It is interesting to me to think they dare not call it out for the obvious rubbish it is. I don't deny the "artist" getting money for it. I just feel that accepting bullshit like this is becoming a trend.

nush

I usually would think that. But i feel it is more deeper than just a con man selling someone bullshit. It is not the first of its kind of what i would consider talent less art. There is a few cases of people having gallery's full of rubbish from trash bins, and because of the "meaning" the art critics have given it glowing reviews. It is interesting to me to think they dare not call it out for the obvious rubbish it is. I don't deny the "artist" getting money for it. I just feel that accepting bullshit like this is becoming a trend.
They are covering each others ass so they can all get paid.

highrider

Banned
He’s just reacting to the market. Sadly fine art over the last 60 years has become pretentious and idea based. I recommend looking at artist’s statements from a graduating class at Carnegie or Parsons and you’ll see the problem. Unfortunately I don’t see fine art ever recovering. It’s destroying itself. The real artists are in the streets and online now, smaller retail galleries. Fine art is just a means for elites to tax shield and flex on other elites.

Last edited:
Top Bottom