• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The end of an talk-show era

Status
Not open for further replies.

Putzweg

This years election i would say marked the end of an era in talk-show history that started with the election of Bush and ended with the election of Trump reaching its peak during the mid Obama years.

This is pretty much how the era step by step ended:
  • Stewart quits the Daily Show
  • Colbert ends the Colbert Report
  • Letterman quits the Late Night
  • Fallon starts selling mindless entertainment and among other things cuddles up with Trump
  • Colberts takes over Letterman and has a more serious and normal approach
  • Colbert holds an emotional epilogue after the election

07-stephen-colbert-jon-stewart.w1200.h630.jpg

One last hurray during Colberts show on Nov 7.

Where will talk show tv go from this? My own guess is that one half will get less ironic and more hard punching. Less making fun of red hats saying "Make america great" and more dark humour a la John Oliver. At the same time another half will go towards more Jay Leno "mindless" entertainment continuing in the vain of Leno.

DrSlek

End of an era? If anything it's the dawning of a new age. President Trump will give comedians a near infinite seam of gold to mine.

Eusis

End of an era? If anything it's the dawning of a new age. President Trump will give comedians a near infinite seam of gold to mine.
Something ends, something begins. The likes of Trevor Noah will probably come into their own as a result, and there's stuff like Last Week with John Oliver that's still relatively new.

Syder

This. I've been waiting for Jon Stewart to announce a comeback ever since Trump won the election.

It's okay, you have James Cordon.

In fact, cut up his UK passport and do us a favour. Thanks.
John Oliver too. Sorry, America.

DrSlek

I hate all those celebrity skit things. My girlfriend watches them all on youtube and tries to get me to watch them too. I can't stand them

Thank fuck I'm not the only one. Sometimes I feel so alone.
It's baffling to me that people enjoy that schlock.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yeah, they do sorta have to decide where they want to go from here. As hilarious as Trump can be, he's hard to nail down in comedic sketches. Like some things are sooooo over the top ridiculous that you can't heighten them for satire. Take President W Bush. He wasn't the most articulate President we've ever had. I personally don't think he's dumb but that's how the comedians wanted to play it. So you play up that one quality, dial it to 11. You can't dial someone as boisterous as Trump to 11, he's already there on a normal day. So most of the lampooning against him is pretty cheap and low bar. Makeup, wig, mouth in a permanent pout. Done.

Some of these shows also seem to be doing soul searching. SNL carried on like a national tragedy had occurred this week, but they had Trump on as host a year ago. Fallon is bottom feeder comedy anyway, so as long as NBC pays for bar tab he probably doesn't give a shit. The Daily Show is going to do the usual impassioned pleas for sanity that are easily digestible, and can be shared in clips on Facebook.

Honestly, there aren't too many shows that do political humor well. SNL is like the USA Today of political humor. Surface level and written so that a 12 year old could understand. I don't expect them to change much.

I think Samantha Bee is going to go real dark. I honestly don't expect to see much from Colbert, I could see him going to the opposite route actually. Not to the extent of Fallon but wide CBS audiences don't watch late night tv for a constant barrage of material maligning the President. Bee is a smaller show with a very dedicated audience that is keyed into what she speaks out against. She can go as far in that direction as she wants and she won't lose a single viewer.

pswii60

I miss Jon Stewart 4 times a week. John Oliver is fine but 40 minutes a week just isn't the same.
Not keen on John Oliver at all anymore. These days he seems to go on an endless preaching rant in the second half of his shows ending up more like a consumer affairs show, with little humour. First half is fun though.

Zubz

Banned
Man, this is making me wish we had old school Colbert back. I guess I should start watching the current Daily Show.

the god king of talk shows

Agreed.

Nah, we're still in the greatest talk show era, which started with and will end with Eric Andre.

Also agreed. Too bad Craig's gone and Eric said he has 1 more season left, if one's even picked up (If any channel can fuck that up, it's [adult swim]).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom