• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The end of your AA woes! MLAA coming to AMD drivers

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Sent Nvidia a question asking whether they have any plans for MLAA on their cards. Lets see what they answer. (I dont think they are going to answer anything concrete though).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
kittoo said:
Sent Nvidia a question asking whether they have any plans for MLAA on their cards. Lets see what they answer. (I dont think they are going to answer anything concrete though).
ATI hasn't bothered to match their Ambient Occlusion that can be forced in certain engines, sometimes to fabulous effect (Half-Life 2), so I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia didn't do anything here, unfortunately.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Stallion Free said:
ATI hasn't bothered to match their Ambient Occlusion that can be forced in certain engines, sometimes to fabulous effect (Half-Life 2), so I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia didn't do anything here, unfortunately.

Yeah but I feel that most of the people should see MLAA as a bigger deal than Ambient Occlusion, at least as of now. In my personal opinion, AA is more important to looks of a game than AO. And when its coming with much less of a performance hit, works (quite a few times) even in those games where every other method fails, then it is quite a big deal. While AO does improve looks dramatically sometimes (as in HL2, like you said), I will take good AA over AO if only one was to be chosen. So I hope that Nvidia will do something about it, but you might very well be correct.
Also, doesnt AO, when forced, work in very few games as of now? And that too with a massive performance hit most of the times?

At least Nvidia implemented AO so that it didn't affect the HUD. Maybe their MLAA implementation will work the same way if there's going to be one?

Dina

5850 user here. I believe I have 10.10 on my pc at home, but need to check. So what do I do here, assuming I have 10.10? Install the hotfix, reboot and that's it? And if I don't have 10.10, then install that first, then the hotfix?

Mr_Brit

Banned
Backfoggen said:
At least Nvidia implemented AO so that it didn't affect the HUD. Maybe their MLAA implementation will work the same way if there's going to be one?
Unlikely, if you want an uncompromised HUD then you'll need MLAA support to be coded in by the game developer so it does its magic before the HUD is applied like in God of War III.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
As expected, a completely bland reply from Nvidia-

I understand that you would like to know if the technology Morphological Anti-Aliasing will be implemented with the NVIDIA graphic cards.

Thanks for the suggestions, Unfortunately as if now we do not have any update from our developers regarding the plan of implementing the Morphological Anti-Aliasing technology with NVIDIA graphic cards but once we are updated it will be published in our website and it will be available with NVIDIA cards.

Whatever Nvidia.

Nabs

Dina said:
5850 user here. I believe I have 10.10 on my pc at home, but need to check. So what do I do here, assuming I have 10.10? Install the hotfix, reboot and that's it? And if I don't have 10.10, then install that first, then the hotfix?
Get rid of 10.10 and just install the hotfix on its own.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
JADS said:
10.10d is out. Holy shit AMD, four hotfixes in the span of a month. That is nuts! The good news is that MLAA now seems to work under Directx10/11.
Will this still allow MLAA on 5*** cards? I'm using a modified version of the driver to enable it.

JADS said:
10.10d is out. Holy shit AMD, four hotfixes in the span of a month. That is nuts! The good news is that MLAA now seems to work under Directx10/11.

Omg, there's hope for us 48xx users after all. Does it work right off the bat or do I still need to apply some of those hacks?

dark10x said:
Will this still allow MLAA on 5*** cards? I'm using a modified version of the driver to enable it.

There's another driver hack but with RadeonPro you shouldn't need to bother with any of that. Just create profiles per application and enable MLAA in the games where you want it used.

Metalmurphy said:
Omg, there's hope for us 48xx users after all. Does it work right off the bat or do I still need to apply some of those hacks?

How exactly do you figure that? They're just fixing a feature that was supposed to be part of the driver release all along. They're not adding official support for any older cards, yet at least. Nothing's changed in this regard.

brain_stew said:
How exactly do you figure that? They're just fixing a feature that was supposed to be part of the driver release all along. They're not adding official support for any older cards, yet at least. Nothing's changed in this regard.

Cause JADS said it now works on DX10 cards as opposed to DX11 cards only.

brain_stew said:
He never said that. Read it again.

The good news is that MLAA now seems to work under Directx10/11.

seems to work under Directx10/11 hardware.
seems to work under Directx10/11 games.

It could have been interpreted either way so no need to get all bitchy.

lol. it applied itself to Windows Live messenger.

wcUnl.png

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I am kinda jealous of AMD users now.:lol
Even though it might not work in quite a few games, I would love to have it and then experiment. Experimenting like this with games is a joy itself of PC gaming, IMHO. To change some setting, and then to try and see the results if they are not obvious...its interesting. Or if the setting work perfectly, the joy of seeing it work and the game look even better.....miss these when I play on PS3.

Kittonwy

Banned
kittoo said:
Yeah but I feel that most of the people should see MLAA as a bigger deal than Ambient Occlusion, at least as of now. In my personal opinion, AA is more important to looks of a game than AO. And when its coming with much less of a performance hit, works (quite a few times) even in those games where every other method fails, then it is quite a big deal. While AO does improve looks dramatically sometimes (as in HL2, like you said), I will take good AA over AO if only one was to be chosen. So I hope that Nvidia will do something about it, but you might very well be correct.
Also, doesnt AO, when forced, work in very few games as of now? And that too with a massive performance hit most of the times?

No it's not, AO basically makes the scene come together alot more and make the lighting much more convincing, you don't need MLAA, it's not the only option.

JADS

Metalmurphy said:
seems to work under Directx10/11 hardware.
seems to work under Directx10/11 games.

It could have been interpreted either way so no need to get all bitchy.

Sorry for getting your hopes up. I should have been a bit more clear on my wording. I meant to say that it seems to be working in Directx 10 and 11 games. Its a bit of a hit and miss in those games though. Bioshock 1 and 2 in DX10 mode look pretty great without a large performance hit. Shattered Horizon on the other hand looks like crap, with a large performance hit of around 30 frames.

mikespit1200 said:
Sweet, so in order to enable MLAA on my 5770 just grab the latest drivers (from steam?) and install RadeonPro?

Grab the drivers I posted earlier and then install RadeonPro. RadeonPro is pretty much an essential tool for all AMD/ATI users these days. At least if you play a lot of games that don't support AA through the ingame menu like Darksiders, most UT3 based games and STALKER SoC.

Dina

Haven't tried 10.10d, is it a lot different from the hack?

Anyway, disabled it on most games already. Fonts are important on most of the games I play (WoW), so having that blurry is really off-putting.

Norml

Kittonwy said:
No it's not, AO basically makes the scene come together alot more and make the lighting much more convincing, you don't need MLAA, it's not the only option.

I would rather have MLAA.AO is not really a standout effect unless you have the same scene without to directly compare IMO.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Kittonwy said:
If a game doesn't support AA you would just have a very well lit jaggy mess. UT3 looked worse than UT2k4 to me until they patched in AA through the drivers.

mr_nothin

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Yo kitten, I'd say the same thing about MLAA (or any kind of AA) too!
I wouldnt say that either is needed over the other. I'd say its about equal and a solution with both is preferred.

fyi, I wasn't sure what the differences were, so in case anyone is interested:

ambient-occlusion.jpg

Ambient occlusion is a lighting technique that is commonly used to create soft shadows on objects. Ambient occlusion isn’t used to create the type of shadows that are cast from objects with a light shining directly on them. Instead, ambient occlusion generates the type of deep shadows that appear in the corners or creases of things, where it is hard for the light to reach.

Technically speaking, ambient occlusion is a global illumination technique. However, in common usage of the term it is often referred to as a cheap alternative to global illumination. To clear up any confusion, what most renderers refer to as “global illumination” is actually an amalgamation of several techniques such as radiosity, metropolis light transport, image-based lighting or photon mapping. The actual techniques used differ slightly from renderer to renderer. Some renderers include an ambient occlusion term as part of their global illumination calculation; others do not.

Like most global illumination techniques, ambient occlusion is dependent on the other geometry in the scene. Ambient occlusion on its own generates less realistic lighting than “full” global illumination. However, ambient occlusion is much faster and less complex to calculate than other methods which is why it is still popular among game developers and in production animation. Full Source

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Here's the thing, 98% of games on PC can have real AA implemented in some form already, this more or less fixes Halo PC, Splinter Cell 1/2 and a handful of other games that were immune to all previous methods of AA.

AO on the other hand, it's neat, but it's in no way necessary and sometimes look bad.

Neither effect is worth upgrading a videocard/switching brands for.

I asked this before, but, can anyone post a comparison with Borderlands? It's supposedly one of those "immune" games that don't work with AA (unless you turn off the cell shading).

pestul

Sorry 4xxx users.

http://www.rage3d.com/index.php?cat=75#newsid33970294

Source - Email from AMD.

You can read more about Morphological Anti-Aliasing here. Support is expected for HD 6800 series cards only, but you can try RadeonPro to enable it on HD 5000 series cards. No word yet for Windows XP, or Radeon HD 4000 users; likely older cards will take longer for the algorithm to be ported to, efficiently. EDIT - there will be no HD 4000 series support, it is not on the roadmap.

Anyone get the hack to work with these on 5xxx yet?

Blizzard

Banned
If it requires a hack to make a $300 2010 (I think?) graphics card use a feature just because AMD didn't want to put it in the driver, then I may have to curtail my enthusiasm for new graphics cards and/or AMD. :p Of course, I probably shouldn't have bought that card, but still.

JADS

James1o1o@twitter said:
Hey I know this will probably have been asked before but, is MLAA planned for the 4800 series cards?

Catalystmaker@twitter said:
unfortunately no, just 5xxx and 6xxx

Seems that it's officially coming to 5xxx series later on, 4xxx users are out of luck

kittoo said:
AMD has released 10.10d hotfix, supposedly resolving the issue that MLAA is not getting applied to some games. Anyone checked out which games are now supporting MLAA, out of those which previously didnt?

Download link-

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/203...hotfixes/catalyst_10.10d_hotfix_win7_nov1.exe

All DX10 and DX11 games and applications seem to work with MLAA now. Including mediaplayer, MSN and Photo Viewer. Thank god for radeonpro profiles :lol

A bit late to the party but I grabbed Dead Space during Steam Halloween sale and I remembered this thread so here are a couple more screenshots

edit: Forgot the comparison pics

Without MLAA

pNRKG.jpg

With MLAA

UN2pM.jpg

Without MLAA

MRzFA.jpg

With MLAA

pDlNd.jpg

I haven't noticed any affect on the hud so far. It works great.

Also, RadeonPro was updated to allow MLAA for specific game profiles a few days ago. Here's the link http://www.radeonpro.info/Download/RadeonPro_RC1.exe

pestul

subversus said:
yes, support for 5xxx series was hacked in the first day.
I was referring to the 10.10d drivers exclusively.. I have been using the MLAA hack on the 10.10s from the beginning. And no, it doesn't work with Radeon Pro on the 10.10d's btw (5xxx series). Going by yesterdays news, and that might have changed over night.

EDIT: nm, seems they did fix it with RadeonPro. Will try some DX10/11 games for you guys.

sonitii

A few weeks behind. Just heard about this just now. This is cool option to have. I might upgrade my video card before the end of the year.

Dina

Will ATI release drivers that won't fuck up the fonts in every program? That's the main thing keeping me from enabling this full-time.

Top Bottom