• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The end of your AA woes! MLAA coming to AMD drivers

M3d10n

Karak said:
Any ideas on getting this to work on XP?
Direct Compute requires DirectX 10. So this means no.
They could roll an OpenCL version for OpenGL games... but how useful would be that?

Despera

Banned
dark10x said:
Might I ask what has kept you from upgrading? If you're hardware is too outdated (ie - pre-2007 hardware), perhaps it is better to wait until you build/buy a new machine. If you're running something fast enough where you are thinking about AA, though, there is no reason not to upgrade. Go 64-bit!

I think my hardware is quite decent. Might upgrade if needed:-

Intel Core 2 Quad @ 3 ghz
ATI Radeon HD 4870 (1GB, GDDR5)
4 gigs of RAM

I'ma grab me an Ultimate copy of W7 tonight. Thanks for the advice guys. Seeing how all of you agree on going 64-bit is convincing too.

MLAA, here I come!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Despera said:

4 gigs of RAM

The only weak link.

pestul

Despera said:

4 gigs of RAM

I'ma grab me an Ultimate copy of W7 tonight. Thanks for the advice guys. Seeing how all of you agree on going 64-bit is convincing too.

MLAA, here I come!
Yeah, that's a great machine for Windows 7. You'll probably have to wait a month or two on the MLAA though.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
pestul said:
Well.. it's actually still a great card. Yeah, it doesn't have DX11 or MLAA yet, but it can probably play most modern games at 1080p.

yes, but he wants mlaa

Mr_Brit

Banned
Despera said:

4 gigs of RAM

MLAA, here I come!
Don't.

Minsc

Gold Member
Stallion Free said:
Yeah this man is 100% right. Ultimate is a waste of money.

64-bit Home Edition, suits my needs as well as XP Pro did. No need for Pro or Ultimate really.

JADS

Despera said:
Then what about this and this?

Brad Grenz said:
I tested this out. The reg file linked pointed to the wrong entries, but I was able to manually match the settings. I was able to get the MLAA option to show up in the CCC for my 4850, but it doesn't work in the games I've tried. I'll do more testing, but it doesn't appear functional at this point.

Stallion Free said:
Same here. Also, 30$ with my college email was an absolute steal.
i got two copies of ultimate for less than that ;)

ah, the perks of microsoft expertzone. makes that part time retail job pay a lot more than you'd expect.

ultimate is only really useful for multiple language households though, no arguments.

you might want to go Pro if you need XP mode.

Minsc

Gold Member
plagiarize said:
i got two copies of ultimate for less than that ;)

ah, the perks of microsoft expertzone. makes that part time retail job pay a lot more than you'd expect.

ultimate is only really useful for multiple language households though, no arguments.

you might want to go Pro if you need XP mode.

I can't think of one thing you'd need XP mode for (certainly not for game compatibility). I guess maybe if you had some odd hardware that doesn't have Windows 7 drivers? Have to be awfully old.

Minsc said:
I can't think of one thing you'd need XP mode for (certainly not for game compatibility). I guess maybe if you had some odd hardware that doesn't have Windows 7 drivers? Have to be awfully old.
i can tell you what i've used it for. here at work we have a productivity app that will not work in internet explorer 8 or later, so i've used it for that.

it's useful having an older version of IE available for checking how web pages display in the older version.

also, it's useful having access to XP for when my parents call up and i have to troubleshoot an XP problem for them. i can't remember all the correct menu names and control panel options in the older version.

so that's a handful of stuff.

other reasons Pro is useful... being able to join a domain. again, most don't need that, but it's worth knowing that you need Pro to do that.

anyway, Eurogamer have an article by DF about MLAA. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-mlaa-360-pc-article

TheExodu5

Banned
I had 4 free copies of Windows 7 Professional with my University MSDNAA account (32-bit and 64-bit, French and English). Too bad I only grabbed 2 licenses before I graduated.

Sutanreyu said:
Hey AMD! Could you not defer rendering of any 2D elements (like HUDs) until AFTER the scene has been rendered and post-processed with MLAA? It wouldn't be too terribly difficult to implement, right? Some games might have issues, but it would eliminate the only real downside MLAA has.

I can assure you that it would.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
plagiarize said:
i can tell you what i've used it for. here at work we have a productivity app that will not work in internet explorer 8 or later, so i've used it for that.

it's useful having an older version of IE available for checking how web pages display in the older version.

also, it's useful having access to XP for when my parents call up and i have to troubleshoot an XP problem for them. i can't remember all the correct menu names and control panel options in the older version.

so that's a handful of stuff.

other reasons Pro is useful... being able to join a domain. again, most don't need that, but it's worth knowing that you need Pro to do that.

anyway, Eurogamer have an article by DF about MLAA. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-mlaa-360-pc-article

Did they use a image from someone on GAF?

stuminus3

I can't believe there isn't more of a deal being made about the "MLAA breaks triple buffering" thing. I thought more PC gamers these days knew the implications of this more than they used to back in the Quake III 500fps or bust days. I guess not.

Ledsen

TheExodu5 said:
I had 4 free copies of Windows 7 Professional with my University MSDNAA account (32-bit and 64-bit, French and English). Too bad I only grabbed 2 licenses before I graduated.

how do you do that? it seems my uni is elligible,

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
plagiarize said:
i don't believe so.

What about the CounterStrike image? I think that Konosuke posted it, unless he got it elsewhere.

Edit: Its just a link to the same image URL.

stuminus3 said:
I can't believe there isn't more of a deal being made about the "MLAA breaks triple buffering" thing. I thought more PC gamers these days knew the implications of this more than they used to back in the Quake III 500fps or bust days. I guess not.

It does? AMD's drivers don't even support triple buffering DX games in the first place, you do know that, right? You're saying it plays silly buggers with D3DOverrider?

Has anyone gotten it to work successfully in a 48xx card? Not sure I wanna go around messing with registry entries before I know it really works.

pestul

http://donotargue.com/note/dna-ati-10-10a-1/

Version info:

* DNA-ATi 10.10a.1 (10.10a catalyst hotfix | 1st DNA build).
* ATI CrossFireX™ Application Profiles (10.9a – October 13th)
* ATI SB drivers 10.10(North Bridge/South Bridge/USB)
* ReadyDriverPlus v1.2 (can be found in the “\Packages\Apps\DNA-ATi-RDP\” folder in the download package).

What’s new:

* Fixed. ReadyDriverPlus v1.2 missing from the driver package (10.9a.x series)
* Added. Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 and 2010 Redistributable packages (were missing from the default Catalyst 10.10a HotFix drivers)
* Updated. Default installers (the Catalyst 10.10a HotFix had no native Windows Vista
installer or INF)

* Updated. Default RS880 and RV7X settings (dont know why ATI keeps installing DirectX 11 settings for them)
* Fixed. ATI mobility Radeon 4100 Support
* Fixed. ATI mobility Radeon 4200 Support

Optional:

* Functional. Unlike other modded drivers that you might have found on the web enabling the HD 6xxx features the DNA-ATi 10.10a drivers come with a fully functional Catalyst Control Center. You will have the exact same options as the HD 6xxx would have.
* Added. HD 6xxx settings on 5xxx for Desktop
* Added. HD 6xxx settings on 5xxx for Mobility

* ACTIVATE. To use the HD 6xxx settings on your HD 5xxx copy the 2 INF files from the \Packages\Drivers\DNA_6xxx_on_5xxx_b1\ folder to the \Packages\Drivers\Display\W7(6A)_INF\ folder
* DEACTIVATE. To use the default HD 5xxx settings copy the 2 INF files from the \Packages\Drivers\DNA_Original\ folder to the \Packages\Drivers\Display\W7(6A)_INF\ folder
* WARNING!. Please use this at your own risk, I’m not responsible for burning PC’s or Overcooked Laptops while using these experimental settings that are not meant to be run on th HD 5*** series of cards/mobility

Whats next:

* Windows XP. The DNA-ATi 10.10a.1.xp drivers will be released next week
* OpenGL specific tweaks.

Support:

* Added the DNA-ATi Support List. This list will show the currently supported Desktop/Mobility and IGP devices
* Just leave a comment and ill try to reply as soon as I can.

Nicely done modded drivers.

Salaadin

Cant find this in the OP:
Is AMD going to eventually add it in for 5xxx cards or is that hotfix detailed in the OP the only way? I can wait if I have to.

Also, why doesnt FRAPs work with it? Just curious.

stuminus3

brain_stew said:
It does? AMD's drivers don't even support triple buffering DX games in the first place, you do know that, right? You're saying it plays silly buggers with D3DOverrider?
Of course I know that, why else would I be using D3DOverider in the first place? :lol

I've only personally witnessed it when forcing triple buffering though D3DOverrider, I don't know if it messes with games with native TB options. I've seen it reported on Rage3D and Guru3D forums too. Further info seems a little thin on the ground though, I guess because even after all these years so many PC gamers still don't understand the Vsync/triple buffering thing.

Minsc said:
64-bit Home Edition, suits my needs as well as XP Pro did. No need for Pro or Ultimate really.

Off topic, but to me there is one great reason to have Pro over Home edition and that is being able to access the Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) which allows you to get rid of this retarded security warning every time you want to open a file:

Image1.jpg

Minsc

Gold Member
SuicideUZI said:
Off topic, but to me there is one great reason to have Pro over Home edition and that is being able to access the Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) which allows you to get rid of this retarded security warning every time you want to open a file:

Image1.jpg

I was able to disable UAC just fine in the Home edition... I can run .exes without being asked if I wanted to run them, unless I'm missing something?

Dennis

Banned
I am going with either the Professional or Ultimate edition when I migrate to Windows 7 on my next rig - solely because of the 16 GB RAM limit on the Home edition.

Pro and Ultimate max out at 192 GB.

Mr_Brit

Banned
DennisK4 said:
I am going with either the Professional or Ultimate edition when I migrate to Windows 7 on my next rig - solely because of the 16 GB RAM limit on the Home edition.

Pro and Ultimate max out at 192 GB.
What could you possibly need 16GB of RAM for?

Minsc

Gold Member
Mr_Brit said:
What could you possibly need 16GB of RAM for?

Capturing 2560x1600 video at 60fps directly to RAM is my guess, you can get 24GB for ~$500. Leave a decent amount leftover for video capture.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Minsc said:
Capturing 2560x1600 video at 60fps directly to RAM is my guess, you can get 24GB for ~$500. Leave a decent amount leftover for video capture.
Jesus christ. Also, you won't get much footage with those video specs with only 24 gb :(

Minsc said:
I was able to disable UAC just fine in the Home edition... I can run .exes without being asked if I wanted to run them, unless I'm missing something?

The first thing I always do when installing a fresh install of Win7 is set the UAC to "never notify" but I still get those warnings unless i add the exceptions for them in the group policy editor

Minsc said:
That's not the UAC. Disable UAC and you'll still get that prompt for .exe's and the like.

EDIT: Kinda beaten.

Minsc

Gold Member
SuicideUZI said:
The first thing I always do when installing a fresh install of Win7 is set the UAC to "never notify" but I still get those warnings unless i add the exceptions for them in the group policy editor

You're probably right, it could be I got so used to hitting ok on it, I don't even notice it anymore. The UAC got on my nerves in a matter of days though.

UrbanRats

I just bought Dead Space off of STEAM sales, after seeing the screenshots posted from Brain Stew on that topic(the ones that are in the OP here, aswell).
But honestly, this is Arabic to me.. i've never even used the Catalyst Center or stuff like that(i only use ingame spec options)-- so can someone point me towards an easy to grasp guide, to implement this feature on my card? (i have a 5850 and Win7 64bit).

forrest

formerly nacire
UrbanRats said:
I just bought Dead Space off of STEAM sales, after seeing the screenshots posted from Brain Stew on that topic(the ones that are in the OP here, aswell).
But honestly, this is Arabic to me.. i've never even used the Catalyst Center or stuff like that(i only use ingame spec options)-- so can someone point me towards an easy to grasp guide, to implement this feature on my card? (i have a 5850 and Win7 64bit).

I have the same card and OS, just install the link under Update 2 in the OP then restart. Rt click on your desktop go to catalyst control center and enable MLAA check box under 3d>anti-aliasing settings.

UrbanRats

nacire said:
I have the same card and OS, just install the link under Update 2 in the OP then restart. Rt click on your desktop go to catalyst control center and enable MLAA check box under 3d>anti-aliasing settings.
Oh so it's not specific for every game! Thanks, i'll try that!

Minsc

Gold Member
SuicideUZI said:

Revolutionary said:
That's not the UAC. Disable UAC and you'll still get that prompt for .exe's and the like.

EDIT: Kinda beaten.

Actually I was right. I don't get anything for .exes! :)

Just tried running four or five different .exes and none of them popped up any window. They all just ran!

Top Bottom