• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The end of your AA woes! MLAA coming to AMD drivers

Konosuke

Zombie James said:
Hmm, there's still some noticeable aliasing going on here, like on the park bench in the first set and the lockers in the second.
I would have taken some MSAA 4x pics but I can't save my settings in Dead Rising. But I think its on par with the MLAA ones, if not better. My memory might be fuzzy tho.

TheExodu5

Banned
If you can afford the performance hit of MSAA, it seems MLAA only really beats it out if the game has a lot of foliage. The MoH screenshots make that quite apparent. The blur effect that it produces will mesh well with certain games, and poorly with others.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
While MLAA might not work so good with quite a few games, I would still love it if nvidia too put it in their games. A choice of MLAA would be awesome! I will experiment on a game by game basis and apply it on those on which it works fine. Not to mention that this generation there are quite a few games where there is no option of applying AA (even after forcing, not counting SS), so I will still like it if Nvidia worked out something.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
kittoo said:
While MLAA might not work so good with quite a few games, I would still love it if nvidia too put it in their games. A choice of MLAA would be awesome! I will experiment on a game by game basis and apply it on those on which it works fine. Not to mention that this generation there are quite a few games where there is no option of applying AA (even after forcing, not counting SS), so I will still like it if Nvidia worked out something.

Yes. It's hard to play GTA and Mass Effect without it, but MOH... doesn't look so good.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
kittoo said:
Yeah, MLAA isn't perfect but it's better than no AA in almost every case.

scitek

subversus said:
Yes. It's hard to play GTA and Mass Effect without it, but MOH... doesn't look so good.

It just blurs everything in MOH. There's an option for "Anti Alias" in the menu, but that's it. No settings. If it's UE3, though, does the AA even work with AMD cards?

EDIT: I just checked and it appears AA doesn't even work at all.

TheExodu5

Banned
subversus said:

It doesn't take terribly powerful hardware to force MSAA in Mass Effect 2 and still maintain 60fps constantly.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
TheExodu5 said:
It doesn't take terribly powerful hardware to force MSAA in Mass Effect 2 and still maintain 60fps constantly.

I thought forcing didnt work in ME 1/2. Did it? Did it need a name change to UT3 or something?

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Stallion Free said:
No it works fine just forcing it in CCC for ATI cards. It also works via profiles.

And in Nvidia cards? (Is it bad news day, as far as Nvidia and AA and I are concerned or something?)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
kittoo said:
And in Nvidia cards? (Is it bad news day, as far as Nvidia and AA and I are concerned or something?)
Profile it as well. Nhancer isn't working with the most current drivers atm, but there is atleast one other alternative to it. The ut3.exe rename is a waste of time. Copy the profile settings from the UT3 profile over to the ME2 profile.

Can anyone test Borderlands? It's supposedly impossible to turn on AA in the game without disabling the cell shading, wondering if MLAA will work.

subversus

TheExodu5 said:

My 5770 can't sustain 60 fps most of times if I crank it to 8xmsaa in ME2 (1360*768). 5770 is mid-range, so it's pretty powerful for like 90% of games.

kittoo said:
I thought forcing didnt work in ME 1/2. Did it? Did it need a name change to UT3 or something?
most UT3 games require you launch them with -dx9 to enable AA (and MLAA). can cost you an effect or two though.

Don't forget that it's a post-process filter, so you'll have to disable all sorts of Depth of Field or other blur effects, otherwise it won't find hard edges there and as a result not process that part of the screen.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
plagiarize said:
most UT3 games require you launch them with -dx9 to enable AA (and MLAA). can cost you an effect or two though.
Uh, pretty much all UE3 engine games run exclusively in DX9.... including UT3.

scitek said:
Stallion. Can you try MLAA in Dolphin and see if you get a better framerate?
I just switched from my 5850 to a 460 gtx after the fan went crazy on the 5850. Super sampling rarely actually effects performance in Dolphin, if you are getting 50 fps with it on, there is an incredibly good chance you will get 50 fps with it off.

Also, it's going to look like shit in comparison to super sampling. It already looks pretty mediocre in most of these shots.

Stallion Free said:
Uh, pretty much all UE3 engine games run exclusively in DX9.... including UT3.
uh, no.

Bioshock, Bioshock 2, Batman:AA and I'm sure a bunch others default to DX10 mode. you can tell pretty easily if you use fraps, or if you have an ATI card, because you won't be able to force AA.

see if MLAA works in any of the games I just listed without using the -dx9 launch command.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
plagiarize said:
uh, no.

Bioshock, Bioshock 2, Batman:AA and I'm sure a bunch others default to DX10 mode. you can tell pretty easily if you use fraps, or if you have an ATI card, because you won't be able to force AA.

see if MLAA works in any of the games I just listed without using the -dx9 launch command.
Lol you are wrong about Batman and 2 Bioshock games are nothing in the scheme of things. I could list 10+ games that are just the opposite.

subversus

plagiarize said:
you can tell pretty easily if you use fraps, or if you have an ATI card, because you won't be able to force AA.

you can use RadeonPro for this

kinggroin

Banned
subversus said:
My 5770 can't sustain 60 fps most of times if I crank it to 8xmsaa in ME2 (1360*768). 5770 is mid-range, so it's pretty powerful for like 90% of games.

Since when was the slower than 4870, 5770 considered mid-range? Id say the 5850, 6870/50, and 460 have that title.

Btw, MLAA works great, unsuprisingly, with the fan made sonic remix. Also, with my 5970, crysis dx9 only lost 4 fps enabling it at 1080p. I personally can't wait to see the effect this has on dx 10 games.

Red

SapientWolf said:
GTAIV has its own vaseline filter. It sort of makes the background look like a painting.
This can be disabled in the PC version. Looks like MLAA blurs things to a much lesser degree than the standard grease filter.

Sh1ner

Ok guys you got me interested:
can I get this working on a 5850?
I ran the std overdrive tool on the card and its overclocked to 765 core and 1115 for mem. Any chance of increasing this via autotuning?

I believe my driver is 9.10 from the ati/amd site, Since I did a full update with the cat software package.

Stallion Free said:
Lol you are wrong about Batman and 2 Bioshock games are nothing in the scheme of things. I could list 10+ games that are just the opposite.
yeah, and that won't help anyone do anything.

i was just trying to make sure people could get MLAA working in their UE3 engine games.

jump up someone elses butt why don't you.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
plagiarize said:
yeah, and that won't help anyone do anything.

i was just trying to make sure people could get MLAA working in their UE3 engine games.
Well the guy you responded to was asking about ME1/2... which your info was meaningless for.

Enabling AA in the vast majority of UE3 games (including the games asked about) is simply forcing AA through CCC or making a profile in one of the profiling programs available for both brands.

Sorry for calling you out on the bullshit claim you made about most UE3 games?

JADS

Some emulation screenshots. Internal Resolution for the PCSX2 screenshot is at 720P with aspect ratio set to 4:3. Dolphin is at 720P using the widescreen hack for 16:9.

Dolphin: Killer 7

MLAA
mlaakiller72cgd.jpg

No MLAA
nomlaakiller72ds2.jpg

PCSX2: Final Fantasy 10

MLAA
ff10-1xuzr.jpg

No MLAA
ff10-2j60u.jpg

scarybore

I got my 6850 in the post today and thought I'd give MLAA a go. Top half has no AA and bottom half has MLAA.

Halo 2

Devil May Cry 4 (DX9 as MLAA didn't work on DX10)

And for shits and giggles, Panzer Dragoon Saga on the SSF emulator.

I'll try it on some more visually interesting games later.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Holly hell. More Emu shots @ 1080P please.
Can someone also try this with the Dolphin software as well. I'm definitely thinking of getting the 6800 series now.

Nabs

Kaako said:
Holly hell. More Emu shots @ 1080P please.
Can someone also try this with the Dolphin software as well. I'm definitely thinking of getting the 6800 series now.
thing is, if you're getting a 68xx (and have a capable cpu) you won't need mlaa in dolphin.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Nabs said:
thing is, if you're getting a 68xx (and have a capable cpu) you won't need mlaa in dolphin.
I even pointed out that super sampling doesn't even effect performance for most games. I have encountered tons of games that run sub 60 with it on and off with maybe a 1-2 frame difference. It just falls on deaf ears here.

But MLAA is new so it's better than super-sampling.

Nabs

sounds like somebody is mad he can't use mlaa :D

i'm using mlaa right now stall, for absolutely no reason. feels good.

Despera

Banned
Nabs said:
sounds like somebody is mad he can't use mlaa :D

i'm using mlaa right now stall, for absolutely no reason. feels good.

Does it compare to say, 8x MSAA?

MLAA seems like it doesn't hurt performance that much. Can't say the same about MSAA.

Top Bottom