• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The end of your AA woes! MLAA coming to AMD drivers

Nabs

Karak said:
I give up:( 19 reboots later) killed the 00000 reg folder many times, rebooted, hotfixed, tried with manual replacement. Nothing ever turns it on. It is now in the registry but setting it to 1 or 0 and rebooting after each does nothing.

Windows 7 32bit
ATI 5850
Damn!
19 reboots? sheesh. i just uninstalled the drivers, used driver sweeper to be safe, and used the hotfix posted a few pages back.

pestul

Yeah, use the catalyst uninstall (auto remove all ati software), don't reboot when it asks you to. Run Driver Sweeper (ATI). Reboot and install the hotfix/MLAA driver. Reboot again.

scitek

pestul said:
Yeah, use the catalyst uninstall (auto remove all ati software), don't reboot when it asks you to. Run Driver Sweeper (ATI). Reboot and install the hotfix/MLAA driver. Reboot again.

I'ma give that a try.

BubTheZombie

Neo Member
Don't shoot me for going off topic guys but since we're talking hacked ATI drivers, does anyone know if there are any drivers that have been released by anyone that remove the bezel compensation restrictions that ATI have forced? I have 3 identical (but badged) monitors and it won't play ball :(.

BTW, MLAA looks sweet. I may have to reinstall Gears of war and see what that looks like.

Konosuke

pestul said:
Still doesn't work for me : |

Karak

Nabs said:
19 reboots? sheesh. i just uninstalled the drivers, used driver sweeper to be safe, and used the hotfix posted a few pages back.
Ya did that a couple times after blowing the reg away on my own manually. Still nada.

BubTheZombie

Neo Member
Just downloaded the new drivers and had a bash on l4d2. Impressive, most impressive. Very handy for eyefinity/multi-monitor users as it doesn't drain the old VRAM like regular AA. Nice bump in edge smoothing and FPS (relative to MSAA). Bring on the dx10/11 variations I say.

pestul

Konosuke said:
Got it working by using this reg file (http://uploaded.to/file/n7l2td) and then rebooted. Weird since I had tried changing the registry directly like in the OP. Time to try some games now :D
Good stuff. I wonder if you were missing the extra reg keys for some reason.. someone over at Guru mentioned that the setting could be in up to 4 different locations. Having said that, the method I posted should have still worked.

JADS

NinjaFromTheFuture said:
So does this mean I can finally have AA in Stalker:SoC? Has anyone tried it yet? I have no reason to bother with this otherwise.

There is a hack for that on AMD cards that should even allow MSAA. You can get it here.

Edit: MLAA does not work correctly in SoC. The whole screen is black, I can't seem to get the hack working correctly either. It worked fine before.

Edit2: Install the Complete Mod and hello working MLAA. The framerate takes a nice hit though but its doable. (50 FPS average on my 5850)

Konosuke

pestul said:
Good stuff. I wonder if you were missing the extra reg keys for some reason.. someone over at Guru mentioned that the setting could be in up to 4 different locations. Having said that, the method I posted should have still worked.
Your method was still helpful for me.

Some gifs I made:

Mass Effect 2
sjTCz.gif

Left 4 Dead 2
amVXr.gif

The only catch so far:

bgVoR.jpg

D12Is.jpg

sfried

pestul said:
Method didn't work. Once the hotfix installed, it didn't prompt me for a reboot, but I rebooted regardless. Instead it was still using the native driver (not ATi's), despite Catalyst and the rest being copied onto the system.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
ummm, I only bought a gtx460 a few weeks ago, bit gutted about this tbh as I'm a great fan of MLAA, I wonder if Nvidia will do the same, although saying that a chap on the Nvidia forums said that it would be harder to implement on the Nvidia cards as they are not good with direct-compute whatever that means :/

pestul

Unfortunately for me, the only games of value that this works on are the ones that AA just doesn't work on ATI/AMD cards. Without DX10/11 functionality, my 5850 blows through most games on like 8xMSAA with >60fps. We just have to be patient.. it's only 1 day after the driver was released. :lol

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I don't think these drivers play it very nice with 5k series cards, since I installed them I've had 2 driver crashes, the first time it recovered but the second (While playing BC2) it blue screened on my ass :lol.

Not a first while playing BC2 though.. That game is pretty random at times.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
lowrider007 said:
ummm, I only bought a gtx460 a few weeks ago, bit gutted about this tbh as I'm a great fan of MLAA, I wonder if Nvidia will do the same, although saying that a chap on the Nvidia forums said that it would be harder to implement on the Nvidia cards as they are not good with direct-compute whatever that means :/

What? Weren't Fermi cards supposed to be massive leap in direct compute power?

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
kittoo said:
What? Weren't Fermi cards supposed to be massive leap in direct compute power?

They are a massive leap in power when using CUDA and possibly OpenCL, but their drivers aren't as good with direct compute yet.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
dogmaan said:
They are a massive leap in power when using CUDA and possibly OpenCL, but their drivers aren't as good with direct compute yet.

So that means a driver problem that can be corrected, and is not a problem with hardware itself. Nvidia shouls be able to do it then I guess. The post that lowrider quoted said that Nvidia cards arent good at Direct compute and that was kinda shocking.

Dennis

Banned
lowrider007 said:
I wouldn't worry. If this turns out to be a big step forward and a big boost for AMD then Nvidia will move quickly to enable it for their cards.

lowrider007 said:

Actually HD5000 offers twice the performance in directcompute. In BOINC (a folding client) HD5870 brings 2x the points of a GTX480.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Ryoma-Echizen said:
Actually HD5000 offers twice the performance in directcompute. In BOINC (a folding client) HD5870 brings 2x the points of a GTX480.

Is there a thread (or Site) where these results etc are discussed and benchmarks are posted? I searched but at a few places people are saying that these are not reliable as results change a lot even with drivers.

scitek

Konosuke said:
Got it working by using this reg file (http://uploaded.to/file/n7l2td) and then rebooted. Weird since I had tried changing the registry directly like in the OP. Time to try some games now :D
Thanks, that seems to have worked for me too. I tried it out on the text in the Half-Life 2 menus, and it definitely gets blurry as fuck with MLAA enabled. The screen has to refresh to see the difference, so I have to full screen then window it again or whatever to turn it on and off.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I read a few posts there...different benchmarks give different results. Maybe Directcompute isnt as fast on NV cards, but then can Nvidia use CUDA or GPGPU? Thats a hell lot faster on Fermi.
To be honest, I dont know much, but what I feel is that Fermi isnt lacking the raw power, its just how MLAA is applied. I am sure Nvidia can bring equally efficient MLAA on Fermi too.

gillty

Banned
Shurs said:
Fucking hideous character model.

Jesus.
:lol haha I know! borrowed it from my buddy after I lost my complete save with a raid0 failure. Hopefully they let you change the model when you import it in me3...

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Anyone tried the new Medal of honor with it? It uses the latest iteration of Unreal Engine right? (in SP)
Oh, and Thanks for the comparisons Valru.

A sterner test would be the wooden rollercoaster from a slight distance. That thing is aliased to hell without MLAA and that area has lots of thin geometry so it'll be a difficult test for the algorithm.

Fantastic improvement in that shot though.

It looks a lot better than before in GTA4, but i'm not sure i'm liking the inherit vaseline effect. It looks damn near photo-real on background buildings, but on foliage it looks like butt. Maybe that's down to the assets though.

I noticed a similar blurriness in some of the super-sampled L4D2 shots in the PC screenshot thread.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
It looks a lot better than before in GTA4, but i'm not sure i'm liking the inherit vaseline effect. It looks damn near photo-real on background buildings, but on foliage it looks like butt. Maybe that's down to the assets though.

Most foliage in games today, if not all, are just transparent textures.

1-D_FTW

brain_stew said:
A sterner test would be the wooden rollercoaster from a slight distance. That thing is aliased to hell without MLAA and that area has lots of thin geometry so it'll be a difficult test for the algorithm.

Fantastic improvement in that shot though.

A good shot from GTA IV would be with the lighting cranked to max and driving under the bridge by your first apartment (I think it's the first). The lighting that filters through those subway tracks makes for an insane jagged mess of shadows on the road.

pestul

Has anyone confirmed whether or not MLAA in DX10/11 titles are supported with the 6xxx series and 10.10hotfix yet? I'm surprised not to hear anything yet.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I NEED SCISSORS said:

I noticed a similar blurriness in some of the super-sampled L4D2 shots in the PC screenshot thread.
GTAIV has its own vaseline filter. It sort of makes the background look like a painting.

M3d10n

kittoo said:
So that means a driver problem that can be corrected, and is not a problem with hardware itself. Nvidia shouls be able to do it then I guess. The post that lowrider quoted said that Nvidia cards arent good at Direct compute and that was kinda shocking.
NVidia probably handles Direct Compute the same way they handle OpenCL: the driver's compiler converts everything to CUDA (because that's the only GPGPU code Nvidia cards run natively). Their code converter must not be as good as their OpenCL one yet.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
scitek said:
Dead Space has an AA option in the options, but is MLAA better?

I guess MLAA would be better. Dead Space in-game AA sucks. Its blurry and their are jaggies everywhere.

Top Bottom