• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The end of your AA woes! MLAA coming to AMD drivers

Does this only work when games are run IN DX9 mode, or do they just have to be DX9 capable? Guess that's kind of a dumb question but oh well :lol

rsam87

Looks like it's not MLAA that messes with starcraft but 10.10?

My storm and feedback cursors dont show up either and pylon power doesnt even show. This is with MLAA off. Anyone else have these issues?

Peterthumpa

Mr. Snrub said:
Does this only work when games are run IN DX9 mode, or do they just have to be DX9 capable? Guess that's kind of a dumb question but oh well :lol
Only when running in DX9 mode. Running Crysis in DX10 gives no MLSAA whatsoever.

EDIT: Some DX9 games like Fifa 11 are simply stunning by enabling MLAA and disabling the in-game AA.

sfried

Bah! Installing the hotfix alone didn't work for me. I installed 10.10 without the hotfix since I don't know if I'm suppose to install the hotfix driver afterwards as a fresh install wouldn't prompt me a reboot and didn't seem to install the proper files.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Good news indeed. thx for the heads up :)

thuway

First, I don't own an AMD card, but as an enthusiast, I have to applaud them for taking the ball and running with it. This is probably the single-greatest advancement in Image Quality within the last couple of years.

Second, for the people crying - "It doesn't look much different than 4X and 8X AA". You've got to be shitting me. Your getting essentially FREE Anti Aliasing and your loft goals of running games like GTA 4, Crysis, and Metro 2033 with all the features maxed out (Tesselation, SuperSampling, etc.) are one step closer.

Finally, for the people claiming it messes up certain titles or it makes certain titles look worse- I can only say that it'll be refined over time. The implementation has a long way to go- and trying to create a Universal / All-In-One Agnostic approach will have bugs no matter what.

sfried

It seems the hotfix update doesn't work for chips lower than 5xxx. I have a Mobility 4200 and it didn't seem to get patched up. All it does is install the newer catalyst control manager and maybe some few extras like hydravision and thats it. No reboot, and technically no new driver. I had to install the non-hotfix vanilla 10.10 driver to get stuff working back to normal.

DieH@rd

Banned
sfried said:
It seems the hotfix update doesn't work for chips lower than 5xxx. I have a Mobility 4200 and it didn't seem to get patched up. All it does is install the newer catalyst control manager and maybe some few extras like hydravision and thats it. No reboot, and technically no new driver. I had to install the non-hotfix vanilla 10.10 driver to get stuff working back to normal.

MLAA needs 5.0 shaders, so no support for 4xxx [for now].

sfried

DieH@rd said:
MLAA needs 5.0 shaders, so no support for 4xxx [for now].
Also I think it just doesn't have the drivers for a clean install for 4xxx, which is something I usually do when I update a new driver.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Mr. Snrub said:
BFBC2 doesn't look that great. For me, it seems to run better in DX10 with the ingame AA :-\
Yeah, DICE actually had an MLAA implementation that they decided against because it didn't work so hot for them.

scitek

Am I just really tired or am I seeing AA in GTA4? I feel like I'm seeing far fewer jaggies. How do I take screens to be sure?

kitch9

Banned
If all PS3 games used this technique going forward, I'd leave the pc master race mostly to sit in the realm of the comfy couch I think. GOW3 was awesome.

M3d10n said:
Just like deferred rendering could be "backported" from DX9.0 to DX8.0, heh?

Without looking at the shader itself, I can't tell if it can be done in CS4 or not, but it's a given that CS5 is flexible enough that Intel's MLAA could be probably dropped on it without major changes in the technique (just like Sony did on the PS3's SPUs). Porting it to CS4 might, at the very least, require some re-thinking.

Anyway, at gamedev.net's forums someone came up with a DX9 MLAA-like effect (but it is more aggressive on textures), so they could go that route if they really wanted.

Actually, I'm sure they can, this MLAA implementation was achieved with a simple DX10 pixel shader and the author confirmed a port to DX9 should be simple enough. Obviously they'd have to rework their implementation somewhat but if anyone is capable of it, its AMD.

Ryoma-Echizen said:
Anno 1404 MLAA

126301.png

You sure you're not just using MSAA there? The HUD doesn't seem to be effected at all?

Mr. Snrub said:

Any DX9/10/11 game should work in theory, there's a couple that don't but it may be possible too rectify that with RadeonPro.

Extollere said:
Meh, I usually play all my games with no AA, so it doesn't bother me anymore. Quick question though for those in the know... when screen resolutions (and game resolutions) start get get higher than 1080p, will AA even matter anymore? It seems to me that the higher the resolution the less aliasing is even noticeable.

Of course. Even the iPhone 4's >300 DPI screen shows aliasing artefacts. Increasing the DPI will always reduce the impact of aliasing but we're a long way off from the point where it vanishes. Increaasing resolution, like supersampling, is a dumb, bruteforce way to combat aliasing, its not exactly efficient.

pestul said:
Someone on Rage3d reported that enabling MLAA with vsync in game will disable triple buffering. That would probably explain some of the more brutal looking textures.

How is that? Triple buffering has nothing to do with texture filtering, resolution or fidelity. AMD's drivers don't enable triple buffering in D3D games anyway, you need an external program to do that.

felipepl said:
Yes... running Crysis in DX9 allows MLAA to work.
Looks GORGEOUS and runs a lot better, amazing job AMD.

So AMD may be currently limiting this to DX9? That's just.............stupid, though I'm sure it'll be rectified soon as they've already committed to supporting DX10 and DX11 games.

Afrikan

a couple of things that are nice to think about, but probably won't happen...

and I'm probably wording these examples wrong.

would love if there was a PS3 Firmware that enabled an option to use MLAA for PS2/PS1 titles, in the games menu.

and if Toshiba Cell TVs had the ability to run MLAA on their own for any game...

also, what ever happened to Toshiba's Spurs Laptops? no additional benefit to gaming? just video huh.

StuKen

yurinka said:
I don't understand this. So then PS3 has 5.0 shaders?

the ati implementation is done using 5.0 shaders. on the ps3 its handled by one of the spus.

same technique, different method of generating the result.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
yurinka said:

MLAA is done on the CPU in PS3. Which is as about as general a processor as you can get.

But MLAA doesn't NEED that generality of that shader model 5.0 or whatever. Someone did an implementation on a 9800 IIRC. It's just that AMD's support currently requires it.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Aaaw phooey! I want Nvidia to give me something equal in driverway. Come on man! Get bizzay.

yurinka said:

This MLAA implementation requires Compute Shader 5.0 support, the implementation we see on PS3 is a CPU implementation (it runs on Cell's SPEs).

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
kittoo said:
Nvidia must be working on something like this too.
Right?

Hey if AMD now has a tech that allows their users to have good anti-aliasing for a nonexistant performancehit, then I sure as hell hope that the boys and girls at nvidia are working their supple buttocks off tryin' to match it

derFeef

Age of Conan let´s you take one MLAA screenshot with printscreen.
Here is a comparison. Please ignore the textureresolution, the engine resets all textures after alt-tabbing and they have not loaded properly on the no MLAA shot. Clicky for highres.

MLAA

no MLAA

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
derFeef said:
Age of Conan let´s you take one MLAA screenshot with printscreen.
Here is a comparison. Please ignore the textureresolution, the engine resets all textures after alt-tabbing and they have not loaded properly on the no MLAA shot. Clicky for highres.

MLAA

no MLAA

looks gorgeus

I think I'll wait for official implementation.

Saty

Is there way to know the MLAA is applied? I noticed the FRAPS FPS counter looking different font-wise when MLAA is ticked on.

You're going to want to disable edge AA in the Crysis config file if you want to attempt to use it with the game. You're making it harder for the algorithm to find edges and adding to the blur otherwise.

You need comparison pics (in daylight) between:

No MSAA + No MLAA + No Edge AA
MLAA + No MSAA + No Edge Blur
MSAA + No Edge AA+ No MLAA
No MSAA + Edge AA + No MLAA.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Corky said:
Hey if AMD now has a tech that allows their users to have good anti-aliasing for a nonexistant performancehit, then I sure as hell hope that the boys and girls at nvidia are working their supple buttocks off tryin' to match it

And since generally Nvidia's drivers are better, I hope they implement MLAA better too.

Not to take anything away from AMD's efforts. Mad props to them for bringing it, and there is no doubt that if Nvidia doesnt implement it, I am in AMD camp next time.

StuKen said:
the ati implementation is done using 5.0 shaders. on the ps3 its handled by one of the spus.

same technique, different method of generating the result.

So absolutely no way it'll ever work on 48xx cards since those have 4.0 shaders right?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
brain_stew said:
You're going to want to disable edge AA in the Crysis config file if you want to attempt to use it with the game. You're making it harder for the algorithm to find edges and adding to the blur otherwise.

You need comparison pics (in daylight) between:

No MSAA + No MLAA + No Edge AA
MLAA + No MSAA + No Edge Blur
MSAA + No Edge AA+ No MLAA
No MSAA + Edge AA + No MLAA.
Yes, a daylight picture would be 10x better.

Minsc

Gold Member
Extollere said:
Meh, I usually play all my games with no AA, so it doesn't bother me anymore. Quick question though for those in the know... when screen resolutions (and game resolutions) start get get higher than 1080p, will AA even matter anymore? It seems to me that the higher the resolution the less aliasing is even noticeable.

I can still notice aliasing on the iPhone 4's retina display, which is over 300ppi, compared to your typical 100ppi monitor. So until 24" monitors run at 15360x8640, you'll need AA if you don't want jaggies.

Top Bottom