• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Epic Games Store has given away over $10k in free games

Draugoth

Gold Member
epic-games-store-free-games-value-580x334.jpg

The Epic Games Store has given away approximately $10,000 worth of free games since 2018, according to our research. Epic has been giving away a minimum of one free game a week for over five years, with almost 400 releases adding up to the five-digit figure.

The Epic Games Store has given away roughly $10,000 of free games since 2018, with at least one game given away a week for over five years.

Via PCGamesN

Denton

It is wild how idiotic Epic's strategy has been. Especially given that it was spearheaded by Galyonkin who runs Steam Spy. Just wild.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It is wild how idiotic Epic's strategy has been. Especially given that it was spearheaded by Galyonkin who runs Steam Spy. Just wild.
It sort of makes sense, trying to overcome the inertia of people's steam libraries, but they have failed to do the other thing which is provide a solid client that adds value.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I have tons of free games on there and the only game I've ever played using the Epic Game Store was Inscryption, which I bought.

Denton

It sort of makes sense, trying to overcome the inertia of people's steam libraries, but they have failed to do the other thing which is provide a solid client that adds value.
Exactly my point. Bribing people is completely meaningless when you don't actually provide better service as well to convince them to buy (and not just freeload).

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Exactly my point. Bribing people is completely meaningless when you don't actually provide better service as well to convince them to buy (and not just freeload).
What I mean is even with a solid service they would still have to compete with people's 200+ steam game libraries

Pidull

I'm curious to hear how often people who redeem those games utilize the Epic Games Store, because even if I redeemed the games, I still wouldn't open the app.

JCK75

I have to be honest that doesn't seem like very much.. That would make me think people aren't even taking the free games

Gp1

They better keep it going or i will stop using their launcher.

Last edited:
They could have made several games with that money, maybe even hit the jackpot a second time with several stabs. Crazy to burn through your mad earnings to become a store instead of doing some responsible investments.

Thanks Tim anyway. I am not even sure which but I think I played maybe a game or two from all the claimed ones.

StereoVsn

They could have made several games with that money, maybe even hit the jackpot a second time with several stabs. Crazy to burn through your mad earnings to become a store instead of doing some responsible investments.

Thanks Tim anyway. I am not even sure which but I think I played maybe a game or two from all the claimed ones.
Yep, that’s the dumb part. They wasted so much cash on this dumb EGS they instead they could have bought more studios and became a decent publisher.

If they wanted to have their own store Ubi/EA style afterwards just for their own stuff they would be ok too. Instead we get non stop Tim Epic shitshow for last few years, mainly financed by Fortnite.

//DEVIL//

I am happy with my Epic library. i have 350 games already. not as big as my steam library but it's not something small that I would ignore. I would say they did a great mission to keep their store app on my PC.

Honestly all they need is to revamp their store. and they are golden with the most of us. If I do not have a loyalty to a console maker, sure as fuck do not have a loyalty to PC store front maker.

whoever give me the best price ill go there. if its 10 on Epic and 30 on steam , then LoL fuck steam I am buying it on Epic. period.

if they both were the same price ? I would buy it on steam just because steam has a better store. but nothing to do with loyalty

Top Bottom