• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Escapist hires on transphobic Brandon Morse

Status
Not open for further replies.
They did two pieces, if I recall correctly.

Female Developers speak about Gamergate, which was, as you might guess, all women.

and Developers speak about Gamergate, which was, as you might guess, all men.
But iirc there was controversy about it because some of the people lied about their identity or gender.

L Thammy

Lot of people are saying that The Escapist's been shady for a while or something like that. I don't keep up; what exactly did they do? I only vaguely recall those Gamergate articles.

Amazing to think humans like that still exist.

There's that theory that prejudices die out, and that once the older generation passes, so will the prejudice. This guy is young enough to know better, but selfish enough to have this view on the world. That's all it is, he is a selfish human being.

No one is asking you to pretend. You can think whatever you like, just try to avoid hurting people's feelings.

Is that such a big ask?

L Thammy

Oh, wait, wasn't it on The Escapist's forums where Gamergate followers were being fed a whole bunch of crazy right-wing lingo by a moderator?

KHlover

Banned
Can someone explain to me why wanting to change your gender is different from wanting to change your race?

Well for one you can actually change your gender. Hard to explain since english isn't my first language, but basically your gender isn't equal to your biological sex. Your sex is defined by your sexual organs, gender is what you identify as. In most cases gender and sex align, trans people are an exception.

hohoXD123

Exactly how I feel as well. I could care less about the guy's personal views. So long as he delivers good video game-related content, who gives a damn?

He can come across issues relating to transsexuals when commenting on gaming culture or specific games, and he obviously feels strongly about his views, which can easily impact on his work. It's difficult to know how far he is willing to take his line of thinking considering we have him saying something like this:

B-Zc4EaCMAAAA9B.png:large

There's really no need to even be a little upset about this, as I'm guessing it's a problem that will fix itself when people stop going to the Escapist site. Look at his sad Twitter feed. He's pretty much arguing that common courtesy isn't something you should be needing to adhere too.

Which, by the way, is completely something you can decide for yourself. Just don't think people will like you if you act like an asshole. If you go around calling black people the n word, then that's a choice you can make, but damn if that isn't going to land you in some kind of trouble sooner or later - no matter how much you argue about "
LLShC.gif
society isn't going to control meeeeeeee-BLARGARGH
LLShC.gif
"

Rafterman

Banned
I've never visited the site but it doesn't bother me at all. It's a video game site, the only thing that matters is his content in that area. Unless he's bringing this type of shit into his Escapist content his personal beliefs are unimportant.

lil

Holy freaking crap, I am SO glad Jim Sterling jumped ship. How awful.

You're missing an image.
Dear Mr. Morse, you're missing the key point that no one should have to tell you not to refer to people as the wrong pronouns or racial slurs. That kind of human decency and respect should have been ingrained in you by however-old-you-are. Sadly, it seems in our society trans and black people are not guaranteed that respect like you and I are.

Corpekata

Banned
As a minor defense of the escapist: is it possible they weren't aware of this guy's twitter posts?

And even if they are now aware of it (giving them the presumption of ignorance) can they actually fire him for that?

They know. It was announced by the owner, Alexander Macris, who shares similar political views, along with the other Gater, and they joked about it.

first i dont really get how you can be stupid enough to believe crap like that

second i dont understand how you can be so stupid to broadcast it to others openly like that

Exactly how I feel as well. I could care less about the guy's personal views. So long as he delivers good video game-related content, who gives a damn?
It could impact the way he works with colleagues, could make trans* co-workers or members of the forums uncomfortable, and many might not want to go to the site anymore as they're paying him. Like, if he was racist, would it be okay? Because a lot of people get fired for that.

Literally almost every psychologist on the planet can.

But seriously, it's pretty simple. Being black is not a state of mind. We're not taught that our skin is or needs to be a certain colour. Gender, however, has fucktons of shit tied to your brain and psychology.

looooooooooooooooooooooooool, we most certainly are.

doll experiment, skin bleaching, cosmetic contacts, hair straightening, etc...

mjp2417

Banned
The thing is why would a website hire someone like this guy though. Why want to associate yourself with someone like him? It becomes this whole issue of association. People (Like the OP's friends) will not want to go near The Escapist solely because of hiring this guy. And word is/will be getting around; someone just posted the fact on GAF, for example.

The Escapist is actively courting a right-wing audience (Gamergate). These kinds of sentiments are basically cat nip for them. Defending the right to drop n-bombs is not an embarrassment, it's an advertisement.

Roto13

As a minor defense of the escapist: is it possible they weren't aware of this guy's twitter posts?

No. It is absolutely not possible.

Lot of people are saying that The Escapist's been shady for a while or something like that. I don't keep up; what exactly did they do? I only vaguely recall those Gamergate articles.

A bunch of stuff, but the first big thing I remember was refusing to pay the Extra Credits team, and then claiming they were owed a chunk of the crowdfunding money the team collected for their artist's medical expenses.

rjcc

Not that I watch Yahtzee's video's anymore (not even gamergate related, I stopped years ago because...there's other things in life to do) but did anyone ever read anything else on that website? I was never clear what the rest of it was for or about.

There was a thing with Extra Credit where the animator got sick and the other two people involved held a fundraiser to pay for her medical bills. Since they used the Extra Credit name in the fundraiser, Escapist demanded a significant percentage of the money, placing her in dire straits again.

Toxi

Banned
I've never visited the site but it doesn't bother me at all. It's a video game site, the only thing that matters is his content in that area. Unless he's bringing this type of shit into his Escapist content his personal beliefs are unimportant.
Oh, you can be sure he'll bring them into his content.

The Escapist has found an audience and is doubling down on it.
Not that I watch Yahtzee's video's anymore (not even gardenglobule related, I stopped years ago because...there's other things in life to do) but did anyone ever read anything else on that website? I was never clear what the rest of it was for or about.
Extra Credits and Jimquisition and Escape to the Movies... Which are all gone.

They chased off all their actual talent besides Yahtzee. When Yahtzee finally stops making Zero Punctuation, they're gonna burn.

You're missing an image.

Well I agree with him in principal. No one has the right to tell you what you can and cannot say.... But at the same time that means I have the right to criticize what you do say. It works both ways and he doesn't seem to understand that. Pretty immature and horrible way of thinking.

udivision

There was a thing with Extra Credit where the animator got sick and the other two people involved held a fundraiser to pay for her medical bills. Since they used the Extra Credit name in the fundraiser, Escapist demanded a significant percentage of the money, placing her in dire straits again.

*blinks*

what the

tchocky

And even if they are now aware of it (giving them the presumption of ignorance) can they actually fire him for that?

I believe Alexander Macris who runs the escapist has been pretty pro gamergate so I am not surprised. His abhorrent views are probably why he was hired.

Ochi

Neo Member

It's been a troubled company. They've been passed on in ownership like 2 or 3 times (themis, defy, etc)

The extra credits thing was a payment dispute for contracted content. There might've been more incidents after that, but I'm not certain.

As for the gamergate series of articles, they rushed to get stories, and a few of the articles turned out to be products of bad actors in the conflict

oni-link

He has negative and harmful views about society, he writes about video games, video games are a part of society, we can't just accept people who are racist or sexist or bigoted because they do something else really well (I don't know how good of a writer he is)

You can roll your eyes over people who are annoyed by things like this if you like, but you can't just say "it's fine to be an asshole" in the long run it's never fine to be an asshole, this is the only way we'll ever combat these kinds of attitudes

Can someone explain to me why wanting to change your gender is different from wanting to change your race?

there is no such thing as race.

gender and sex both exist and may not always match.

can you explain why you thought that was even remotely a relevant or good comparison?

Myggen

I doubt it. Both him and @lizzyf620 (a prominent Gamergator up until she was doxed by 8chan a while ago) announced the same day that they would be writing for the website (as freelancers, I assume, so I think saying he was "hired" is a bit misleading). So it seems like they knew what they were doing, these tweets are very, very easy to find.

looooooooooooooooooooooooool, we most certainly are.

doll experiment, skin bleaching, cosmetic contacts, hair straightening, etc...

I'm saying that our skin isn't determinate by what we're taught. Men are taught to be masculine, women are taught to be feminine. Yes, white skin is idealized in our society, but it's a different thing than what I'm talking about. A lot more people would be trans if it was acceptable in society.

Wallach

Gross. I guess I'll... continue to never go to this website.

Harpuia

The Escapist is actively courting a right-wing audience (Gamergate). These kinds of sentiments are basically cat nip for them. Defending the right to drop n-bombs is not an embarrassment, it's an advertisement.

The fact that I read through the thread to find that The Escapist has a modest group of gamergate supporters and thought "that makes sense" is distressing.

L Thammy

A bunch of stuff, but the first big thing I remember was refusing to pay the Extra Credits team, and then claiming they were owed a chunk of the crowdfunding money the team collected for their artist's medical expenses.

Wow, that's... a lot worse than I thought it would be. I thought you just meant that they were regressive. What the hell.

You're missing an image.
"I have no problem with trans people, I just hate it when they have some impact on my ability to say something without it having repercussions."

More or less what the dude's saying. It's fine if he wants to be a goddamned idiot, but that doesn't entitle him to freedom from consequence.

Velcro Fly

Yeah it definitely feels like there is an audience they are trying to appeal to and I definitely do not want to be a part of it.

Thank God Jim Sterling left there. I never have to go back again.

Makes me upset that people like that are so judgemental with their ignorance. It's so easy to be part of society's norm, isn't it?

lil

That there's reason to believe this is actually a calculated move by The Escapist is the most horrifying aspect of it. Like, it's one thing to be ignorant, but this? Intentionally using transphobia to make money? It would be puke-worthy.

I'm saying that our skin isn't determinate by what we're taught. Men are taught to be masculine, women are taught to be feminine. Yes, white skin is idealized in our society, but it's a different thing than what I'm talking about. A lot more people would be trans if it was acceptable in society.

a lot more people would be Black too!

Gross. I've pretty much stopped going there for a while, now I see there's no reason to go back.

Holy hell, how scummy can you get?

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
The site and its community its slowly transitioning into a gamergate HQ so just like when Polygon was created, I am glad there is a site in which the worse of the worse can be properly contained.

Polygon is/was a major GG site?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom