• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2, is going to be a Critical Hit, Commercial Bomb.

CryptiK

Yeah Im sad, I really like TEW, and TEW2 is looking great but.. It seems like its going to be the last one unless word of mouth is amazing.

But you gotta wonder why there isn't any marketing really, do Bethesda want this to fail or something? I just don't get it. It will likely be a fine game and I expect Wolfie2 will be awesome. At least the latter has had some marketing.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
All I remember about the first game was it ran really poorly on PC and I quit a few hours into it. If it's a better port I'd be interested in the sequel though, as it is my type of game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So you're saying there's a chance at a new Dishonored!?

Originally they gave an interview that explicitly said it was happening, though I see they've since pulled back on that.

Original: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1393018

Now:

When asked if this means there won't be a Dishonored 3, Smith said he's not yet certain if there will be more games in the series. "I don't know yet. I kind of hope there are more Dishonored games, but I honestly don't know," he explained.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/08...ored-games-would-feature-different-characters

kuYuri

Bethesda is terrible at marketing video games.

Can’t say I agree. Here, I’ve seen ads for games like Elder Scrolls, Dishonored, Doom, and more all over the place, like buses, subway stations, and even taxi cabs. Clearly Bethesda has presence here with ads.

I don’t think all their games get this treatment, but they only have so much money for marketing every game they release.

kc44135

It will probably take while till we get review, since Bethesda is a piece of shit, but you are probably right about how well it will sell.
Maybe it will sell long term, but tat remains to be seen.
Supposedly, reviewers already have early copies, and we will see reviews starting on Thursday.
Um, how do you know it's going to be a critical hit?

I have it pre-ordering, so I'm hoping it's a knockout, but that's such a strange thing to assume.

I mean, it seems to have fixed a lot of issues people had with the first one, and beyond that, previews have been almost unanimously very positive so far. I ain't expecting BOTW level scores, but an 80-85 MC seems like a reasonable expectation.

I've seen it advertised for at least 2 weeks on PSN Twitch. I know it even if I'm not right at the TV when it comes on because it has the ordinary world song.

poodaddy

This is what happens when you let a western person direct a japanese game
Ladies and gentlemen, stupidity personified.

I don't see the game doing too well unfortunately, as I learned it was coming out soon from this very thread and I don't know anyone who has any interest in it, whatsoever. That's unfortunate though, as the game does look interesting.

Taruranto

I think the first one being kinda sucky is probably not going to help their chances. I mean, I know some people like it, but for a Mikami's game, it didn't exactly set the world on fire.

Yeah, Japan is also the first thing I think of when I see TEW. /s

Plumpman

It is definitely releasing within a storm of great games.
October especially is slammed with game releases.

Regardless, out of all the games this month, this is the only one I chose to get.
Evil Within 1 was some of the most fun I've had since RE4!

kc44135

But you gotta wonder why there isn't any marketing really, do Bethesda want this to fail or something? I just don't get it. It will likely be a fine game and I expect Wolfie2 will be awesome. At least the latter has had some marketing.
I would like to think that, rather Bethesda sending the game to die or wanting it to fail (which doesn't really make any sense), they simply believe this is the best way to market this game. They think that the game is better served by not showing or spoiling too much of it, and simply letting word of mouth carry it. If that's the case, I think they're wrong and that's a stupid way to market any game, for the record.
Just like Resident Evil 6

Indeed. :)

If this bombs, I expect loot crates from Bethesda in all future games.

Well some sort of different monetization method is for sure coming. Their single player focused games aren't delivering the sort of sales games like that would have 5 years ago.

I expect future Bethesda titles will feature online and MT's for sure

UrbanRats

The first TEW was a blast, so i hope you're dead wrong OP, even though it makes sense.

Honestly i don't know how big horror games can hope to be in the first place.
To be a horror fan, is to suffer, after all.

I really liked the first game, despite its flaws. I'm a bit torn on some of the changes the sequel is making but I've decided to buy it. I hope it does well but I have little faith. I think Bethesda's review policies are hot garbo but at least TEW2 isn't filled with scummy microtransactions.

Ultimate weeaboo quote.

EhoaVash

one thing is....that is one bad looking boxart =/

also i feel like it will review lower than the first one, people are gonna be comparing it to this year's Re7 and compare this game being akin to Re6 lol

Iksenpets

Banned
Honestly, given Bethesda's recent track record around prerelease hype with stuff like Prey, I think the greater surprise is that they've drummed up decent interest in Wolfenstein, than their having sent Evil Within to die.

I might agree, but I couldn't stand the first game. Made it about 8 levels in before it lost me. I hope improvements have been made, because I'd be willing to jump back into the sequel. TEW 1 definitely showed some potential.

burgerdog

Originally they gave an interview that explicitly said it was happening, though I see they've since pulled back on that.

Original: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1393018

Now:

That doesn't bode well at all. Looks like even if we get another game, it might not be what we expect out of it if they're hiring online programmers.

Man it's hard being an Arkane fan right now. Loved both Prey and Dishonored, and they don't really have a guaranteed future.

Seriously, Prey was a total surprise and Dishonored 2 was just really really good. Hard to believe both of those bombed.

Majin Boo

The German marketing team did a pretty good job by letting the biggest German Let's Player play the game for about 1,5 hours while the Bethesda ccommunity manager provided some additional information about the game.

My purchase depends 100% on the reviews since I didn't really like the first game and it will take some convincing to get me to buy it.

Horror games don't usually sell that well these days. Take a game like Alien: Isolation that has a huge franchise name to help with marketing, and it still sold below expectations. Hopefully the number of units sold is enough to offset the budget.

Pennywise

TEW2 is a horror game and it's coming out on Friday the 13th, that should sell itself, right? ;)

I'm wondering.
There are just so many damn games, and especially the Bethesda titles have be really cheap soon after they launch.

Zenimax spend a shitload of cash with TEW 1 in Germany.
They had plenty of TV commercials, which is somewhat rare for Germany, playing while The Walking Dead aired or other horror shows/movies.

Ridesh

Banned

I don't see how that correlates with the lack of marketing.

And yeah, I was talking with some buddies about this, this game will be sent to die, just like Deus Ex and Dishonored, so let's enjoy the last game of the Evil Within ip.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That doesn't bode well at all. Looks like even if we get another game, it might not be what we expect out of it if they're hiring online programmers.

To be clear, Arkane Austin made Prey, whereas Arkane Lyon made Dishonored 2.

We haven't seen Arkane Lyon put up online job listings, at least so far.

The Term " Bomb " is dependent on Bethesda expectations , We don't know how much the original sold but it was fine by Bethesda to the degree of making a sequel

Vinc

I bought The Evil Within and didn't buy Wolfeinstein.

I PLAYED Wolfenstein after I borrowed a copy, and it floored me. I didn't expect to like it that much, let alone love it. I bought the old blood, loved that too, and 2 looks fantastic, so I'm buying that alongside Mario on day one.

I cancelled my order of TEW2 because I didn't like the original, and there were no positive reviews to sway me this time around. Promotional material hasn't swayed me, as it just looks like more of the same to me.

I'll pick it up once it drops in price, but it is what it is. If 1 was great, I'd have gotten 2 without question.

Yeah, you can really feel the difference in expectations Bethesda has for Wolfenstein 2 and The Evil Within 2 ever since both games were revealed at E3.

The latter has been very low key in promotion and coverage versus the former.

Mind, I'm not sure Wolfenstein will knock it out of the park either, but Bethesda's behavior suggests they expect The Evil Within 2 to tank instead of just being a modest seller.

I'm going to ask and people will think I'm trolling ( but that's just me I guess I live under a rock)

Ahem* What is Wolfenstein?Never heard of it.

Let me have some fun here , since I don't know what it is...
I bet it's a First person shooter, but not with a hybrid version of Frankenstein and a werewolf, unless it is- which that would be kinda awesome, minus the FPS part of course.

Probably some griddy FPS in the end, I'll google it later.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm going to ask and people will think I'm trolling ( but that's just me I guess I live under a rock)

I bet it's a First person shooter, but not with a hybrid version of Frankenstein and a werewolf, unless it is- which that would be kinda awesome, minus the FPS part of course.

It's an alternate history World War 2 game where you fight nazis and nazi robots.

The newest ones take place during the 1960s in a world where the nazis won.

I'm pretty sure you're trolling. You're from Dallas Texas and you've never heard of Wolfenstein? Have you heard of id Software?

Sanctuary

I'm buying it.. I'm pretty much disagreeing with everything the op said

I'm probably buying it too, but I don't see why the OP would be wrong about any of those points. It's just speculation, but objectively there's reason for concern.

It doesn't help either that the first game is essentially split down the middle on those that absolutely loved it, and the detractors due to the myriad of issues it had.

The "hardcore" (if that even exists anymore) gaming crowd might be all in without a massive promotional campaign, but the main group that allows these kinds of games to contiunue being developed need a bit more information than what's been allowed. It's going to fly under the radar of a lot of people.

w0s

I really hope it actually plays better performance wise and there isn't a shitty section like the exploding dudes that come running at you during an important scene.

Shredderi

It's really baffling how Bethesda seems to be failing their seemingly best games (the ones they're not developing themselves). It honestly feels like they could give 20k to one person who lives and breathes the gaming scene to do a better job at marketing their recent games. And they must be aware of this. They, the guys who do this for work actual money, can't be all "oh why aren't these selling!?". They must know that they're not pulling their weight, because if they don't they're just incompetent.

My crazy tinfoilhat theory is that they actually want these SP titles to tank so they can justify to themselves and others that these kinds of experiences just don't sell anymore and then roll out some Games-as-service type of things that they've conveniently had gestating for the past few years.

That sucks. I really like the first one but I can't buy the second one right now since I'm moving and I'm not gonna have access to a tv for a while plus I'm trying to save as much as possible. Bethesda's review policy is dumb. Yes, some games don't need them but EW2 could use some positive word-of-mouth before its release. The date they chose is also terrible.

sublimit

Banned
Well they should have probably made it first person and added more jump scares in order to make it more streamer-friendly for those Twitch streamers who like to scream like 9 year olds.

This is what the majority of "horror" fans demand from the genre nowdays.

Oneself

I don't know how many people like me probably won't buy the game because the original was meh and felt dated (IMO) apart from the obvious performance issues etc.

Never dug the first game but I’m doing my part here and double dipping. It looks fantastic and I can’t wait for Friday. Perfect time to launch too.

Top Bottom