• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 |OT| "Something not quite right"

Alxjn

Just made it to Chapter 3 and would also agree that the game is pretty fucking great.

They borrowed SO many things from The Last of Us: workbenches, weapon sway, the stealth mechanics, etc. It's pretty funny lol

Workbenches and weapon sway can be traced back to RE4 and Dead Space...

Truant

Have stayed away because of black out. Any good place to buy this for PC?

I got it for quite cheap from a major Steam key reseller, but they still haven't shipped my key. Have used them a few times before without issue, but I'm thinking this will be the last time. I usually just buy directly through Steam or GOG.

Do you have a source for this?

It was from a developer interview a while ago, i will try and find it.
They just mentioned dropping the difficulty of each mode and that nightmare mode is similar to survival from the last game.
They mentioned dropping the difficulty so that players who just want to experience the story can easily do so this time around.

Jacob4815

It's too late to cancel my preorder, but yeah now I regret my purchase.
No PRO support in AAA title is not acceptable at this point of the console life cycle.

Drewfonse

I have a Pro, and while I'm dissapointed by the lack of support, it doesn't mean that we won't get some really soon. I know that it's not the same as out of the box support, but the game hasn't even technically launched yet. I'm hoping for a patch, and soon.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Don't care about pro support. I have an original ps4 :)

I have Pro and I still dont care about Pro support. As long as the game runs fine then Im happy. It find it strange people willing to cancel their pre-order just because no pro support.

I have Pro and I still dont care about Pro support. As long as the game runs fine then Im happy. It find it strange people willing to cancel their pre-order just because no pro support.

I knew that the Xbox One X version is enhanced, so I only assumed the PS4 one would be as well, I mean why wouldn't it be? Now I find out it is not, and Best Buy just delivered my PS4 copy. I really want to open it, but I might just return it and get the Xbox One version since I am getting an X.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Wow, no PS4 Pro support!

There goes my support for this game. No support for my $500 console, I won't support your game and lazy developers.

Gasian

I knew that the Xbox One X version is enhanced, so I only assumed the PS4 one would be as well, I mean why wouldn't it be? Now I find out it is not, and Best Buy just delivered my PS4 copy. I really want to open it, but I might just return it and get the Xbox One version since I am getting an X.
Maybe, just maybe. Pro support is coming along with the Xbox One X patch when the XOX launches? I think that would make sense if it happens

nOoblet16

So this is basically The Last of Silent Hill.

Anyways I wish Seb moved faster, his default movement should be a bit of a jog rather than the painfully slow hunched back awkward walk he does. Perhaps make it so that in presence of unalerted enemies he walks like that but at other times or when enemies are alerted his default movement should be a jog. Keep the sprint as it is.

And his crouch walking should be a bit faster too like Joel from TLoU.

This is a different kind of game than the first so there's no reason for it to have faster movement.

So this is basically The Last of Silent Hill.

Anyways I wish Seb moved faster, his default movement should be a bit of a jog rather than the painfully slow hunched back awkward walk he does. Perhaps make it so that in presence of unalerted enemies he walks like that but at other times or when enemies are alerted his default movement should be a jog. Keep the sprint as it is.

And his crouch walking should be a bit faster too like Joel from TLoU.

This is a different kind of game than the first so there's no reason for it to have faster movement.

This intrigues me. I couldn't finish the first game cause it felt so dull, so I'm unsure if I wanna jump into this or not.

Been watching a lot of streams and it looks great but I have some nitpicks. Sebs standard movement just looks painfully slow, it's slower than the first game for some odd reason. The aiming looks off compared to the first game but maybe that's just the people I'm watching.

Also not a huge fan of how close the camera is indoors. Seb takes up a lot of the screen. Same when he's crouched.

Also wish there was a switch shoulder button. Seen a lot of people aiming and turning a left corner and being blind as to what's coming. I know you can say it's survival horror but it's just a pet peave of mine.

Still going to grab it though. I expect some jank after playing the first but this still looks a lot better than the original barring the actual shooting. Popping head shots was super satisfying in the first game. If I'm wrong and anyone wants to alleviate my fears from my observations, please do.

JJShadow

Managed to play for a couple of hours (on Chapter 3 now) but this seems to be a HUGE improvement over the first one, loving it so far

My only complain is that Sebastian's running (not sprinting) animation is extremely weird and slow lol

Sanctuary

Do you have a source for this?

https://bethesda.net/en/article/5lU...-within-2-difficulty-levels-and-new-game-plus

Nightmare

In-Game Description
For those who enjoy a challenge, and for experienced Survival Horror players. Resources are limited, and enemies hit much harder. Careful item management and strategic play are an absolute must to survive. *Recommended for players who enjoyed the difficulty of the previous game. *

Note from Tango
”We can't deny it, the first Evil Within was a tough game. For some people that challenge is what they love about it and the genre! That's why we unlocked this difficulty right from the start, and we think that fans of the first game who enjoyed its overall difficulty will have a good time carefully planning every move they make. At Tango, we feel that it falls somewhere in between the Survival and Nightmare difficulties of the first game. However, it was created to be played as a first run of the game so no prior knowledge of the game is required to survive it. Ammunition is rarely found in the game and you'll have to craft it a majority of the time, so it's up to you how you handle your inventory. Items are fewer in general and there will be more and tougher enemies in many situations. Also, there will be no option for Aim Assist in this mode. It'll be rough, but it'll be tense!"

vs

Survival

In-Game Description
For those who want the basics of a Survival Horror experience. Keep an eye on your resources, approach situations with caution, and don't get overconfident.

Note from Tango
”Are you a fairly regular gamer but not very accustomed to the ins and outs of survival horror? Or, are you a fan of the genre, but not in the mood for a crushing experience? This will probably be the difficulty for you. You won't have to completely micromanage your inventory – but if you get careless, you can run out of resources when you need them. Enemies are many, and you probably won't have the resources to gun them all down. It would be smart to take things slowly and carefully as you strengthen Sebastian to take on whatever challenges await. And, just in case you need it, Aim Assist is also available in this mode."

kc44135

Wow, no PS4 Pro support!

There goes my support for this game. No support for my $500 console, I won't support your game and lazy developers.
👍👍👍
Maybe, just maybe. Pro support is coming along with the Xbox One X patch when the XOX launches? I think that would make sense if it happens

I'm wondering this myself, but that's garbage if true. I would feel even more justified in waiting for a deep sale then

nOoblet16

This intrigues me. I couldn't finish the first game cause it felt so dull, so I'm unsure if I wanna jump into this or not.
It really is like TLoU and the normal enemies are like critters.

Although I will say, so far the game lacks the surreal style of the first game. I mean the environments are like Silent hill in atmosphere with the misty creepy town with weird shit, but they lack the surrealism that was super common in the first game....atleast so far. I'm still very early in the game.

Naar

Didn't Sony say that every game from now on HAS to have some kind of pro support? How did they allow this game to be released without pro support?

Tarrin

I'm excited for the game, but to have no Pro support, and yet have support for the Xbox One X, man.

I hope Pro support is like Prey, it'll come in a patch, but it's not a good look.

Sanctuary

Didn't Sony say that every game from now on HAS to have some kind of pro support? How did they allow this game to be released without pro support?

Yes, that's what they said. Has this game officially gone live on the PS4 though? Otherwise, there's probably going to be a patch within the next twenty-four hours.

Really baffled by everyone in here canceling their preorders over Pro support. Just comes off as petty and elitist to me. It's not like the game isn't going to run on your system at all.

DVCY201

I don't think they ever did. Wasn't that just rumored? It only has to run at 1080p on a Pro at least, I think

Sanctuary

I don't think they ever did. Wasn't that just rumored? It only has to run at 1080p on a Pro at least, I think

That wasn't a rumor, it was a Sony mandate. They said that after the Pro launched, every game released after had to support it. They also said that it's up to the developer to add support to games that were released prior however. Your resolution requirement isn't a requirement though. It could offer support in other ways such as a higher and more stable frame rate.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Really baffled by everyone in here canceling their preorders over Pro support. Just comes off as petty and elitist to me. It's not like the game isn't going to run on your system at all.

My thought exactly. If they care about performance that much why didn't they get in to PC gaming? And according to DigitalFoundry the game runs pretty good even without pro.

I mean, I can see where they're coming from. I was fortunate enough to receive my Pro for free. But, if I shelled out the cash for the Pro I would be a little upset. I mean, they spent a lot of money buying the Pro thinking the games would be receiving graphic/performance benefits and now they're not getting them on certain games.

shpankey

not an idiot

It's one way for gamers voice to be heard to make sure developers understand not adding it will have a consequence to their bottom dollar.

I'm going to buy it, but I applaud those who take a stand.

DeaDPo0L84

It happens every thread for a new game. It can run perfectly fine and be a great game but if it doesn't offer extras on the pro people go ape shit and throw out hyperbolic one liners. I have a pro by the way so yes I would've liked some extras but fuck cancelling my pre order, I'm dying at work waiting to get home to play this. Keep the impressions coming!

DVCY201

My thought exactly. If they care about performance that much why didn't they get in to PC gaming? And according to DigitalFoundry the game runs pretty good even without pro.

That's a false equivalency, no one is saying they ONLY care about performance. There are other reasons why people like consoles over PC and would still welcome a half-step upgrade for 4K or supersampling, etc.

SeanTSC

I'm baffled by people being baffled by it. It is 100% reasonable that someone is upset that the new console they paid for isn't supported, especially by a such a large publisher.

I have a Pro, and I'm not returning my copy, but this absolutely taints my perception of the game and my view on the developers. I'm also incredibly disappointed that Sony doesn't mandate Pro support for any game released at this point. A resolution bump should be the absolute bare minimum and yes, I'm going to call developers Lazy for having no Pro support what so ever, because they are.

Dmented

Banned
So how do I get rid of that "cold" enemy that shows up with fog. I can't get the sniper parts because she's there and I think it's glitched.

Any ideas?

bryanee

Its almost like people bought PS4 Pro consoles to get better performance and resolutions over the base PS4 so when games come out and dont have enhanced features they get annoyed and rightly so.

vg260

This shouldn't be baffling at all, and especially not petty or elitist if they simply choose not to buy the game at this point. They're not insulting anyone else who doesn't care about Pro support if they just decide not to buy it themselves if it doesn't have the feature support they want.

Also, the game will surely be cheaper over the holidays, so that makes it easy to defer purchase if they really want it to play it.

Shauni

Is the game really that much like TLOU or is this another situation of 'two or three things that's existed in games forever is in this game, but TLOU invented everything so therefore this game is so much like TLOU?'

kc44135

That's a false equivalency, no one is saying they ONLY care about performance. There are other reasons why people like consoles over PC and would still welcome a half-step upgrade for 4K or supersampling, etc.

Yeah, exactly. I love the ease and accessibility of Consoles over PC, and am also deeply engrained in the PS4 "ecosystem" now ( I own tons of games, have tons of trophies, have a big friends list, etc.), and I don't want to give all that up by switching to PC. At the same time, I wanted a nice tech/performance upgrade over the base PS4, so I went PRO. However, I am deeply disappointed in any game that skips over offering benefits for my console of choice, and therefore, I will not but this game in order to show these Developers/Publishers that PRO support matters, and if they don't want to offer it, I'll hit 'em where it hurts; their wallets.

kc44135

I'm baffled by people being baffled by it. It is 100% reasonable that someone is upset that the new console they paid for isn't supported, especially by a such a large publisher.

I have a Pro, and I'm not returning my copy, but this absolutely taints my perception of the game and my view on the developers. I'm also incredibly disappointed that Sony doesn't mandate Pro support for any game released at this point. A resolution bump should be the absolute bare minimum and yes, I'm going to call developers Lazy for having no Pro support what so ever, because they are.

Sanctuary

Yeah, exactly. I love the ease and accessibility of Consoles over PC, and am also deeply engrained in the PS4 "ecosystem" now ( I own tons of games, have tons of trophies, have a big friends list, etc.), and I don't want to give all that up by switching to PC. At the same time, I wanted a nice tech/performance upgrade over the base PS4, so I went PRO. However, I am deeply disappointed in any game that skips over offering benefits for my console of choice, and therefore, I will not but this game in order to show these Developers/Publishers that PRO support matters, and if they don't want to offer it, I'll hit 'em where it hurts; their wallets.

You might not buy the game, but that doesn't mean you aren't going to rent it, or borrow it. ;)

Top Bottom