• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 |OT| "Something not quite right"

Sanctuary

Chapter 6 is pissing me off

whats with all the forced enemy encounters. I dont have the ammo for this shit.

Who needs ammo when there's kidney or spine stabbing and throat slashing to be had? If you're talking about
the giant buzzsaw enemies
, just ignore them if you don't have enough ammo.

DirtyLarry

Just finally got past Chapter 3, I think I spent way longer than I needed to there.
Anyway, how the hell do they expect me to get anything done
when they introduce the damn Shooting Range? I just spent the last hour there, got everything up to the last one on the regular range, still need to get the last 2 on it, and I also need to get the last 2 on the Chain Attack, including that 80000 for the 5000 Green Gel.

Damn them! LOL

Neiteio

I think the story being upfront about the "artificial" nature of the world actually makes it more immersive than the first game's avoidance of the subject. While I liked the first game's story, it felt less coherent in its world-building since the shifting environments didn't have an apparent rhyme or reason until much later in the game. By comparison, TEW2's world feels more coherent from the start by establishing its nature and internal logic upfront.

Having a central location like Union to which you return and seeing how it's dissolving within the system also creates a sense of place and a sense of stakes, which aids in immersion. The "backstage" area of Marrow adds more context to how the place functions, as well. All of this helps me to buy into this "reality within a reality."

Seeing Seb lie down in the bathtub at the start of the game and reluctantly step back into that world, and then the title card with Seb walking into the darkness feels like a journey to another world, like Dante following Virgil into the underworld in Dante's Inferno. For the people in STEM, it's as real to them as real life, with horrors made manifest from their own subconscious that could overwhelm them to the point of cardiac arrest IRL.

I actually think that's what makes STEM feel "magical" compared to other virtual worlds in fiction such as the Matrix. The human mind is inherently mysterious, and the world of STEM is shaped by the minds of the people in it. There's this suggestion that Mobius doesn't fully understand the human mind — that there may be something more to the human experience than instincts driven by binary 1s and 0s — and so what results is not a rigid system like you'd create in a computer, but something prone to instability and the manifestation of nightmares from the darker depths of the human mind.

TEW2 really drives home the potential of this series' story going forward. Each STEM world can have its own distinct flavor and phenomena based on the minds of the characters linked to it. The sky's the limit in terms of what sort of worlds they explore in the future, which is yet another reason I hope this amazing franchise continues.

I think the story being upfront about the "artificial" nature of the world actually makes it more immersive than the first game's avoidance of the subject. While I liked the first game's story, it felt less coherent in its world-building since the shifting environments didn't have an apparent rhyme or reason until much later in the game. By comparison, TEW2's world feels more coherent by establishing its nature and internal logic upfront.

Having a central location like Union to which you return and seeing how it's dissolving within the system also creates a sense of place and a sense of stakes, which aids in immersion. The "backstage" area of Marrow adds more context to how the place functions. All of this helps me to buy into this "reality within a reality."

Seeing Seb lie down in the bathtub at the start of the game and reluctantly step back into that world, and then the title card with Seb walking into the darkness feels like a journey to another world, like Dante following Virgil into the underworld in Dante's Inferno. For the people in STEM, it's as real to them as real life, with horrors made manifest from their own subconscious that could overwhelm them to the point of cardiac arrest IRL.

I actually think that's what makes STEM feel "magical" compared to other virtual worlds in fiction such as the Matrix. The human mind is inherently mysterious, and the world of STEM is shaped by the minds of the people in it. There's this suggestion that Mobius doesn't fully understand the human mind — that there may be something more to the human experience than instincts driven by binary 1s and 0s — and so what results is not a rigid system but something prone to instability and the manifestation of nightmares from the darker depths of the human mind.

TEW2 really drives home the potential of this series' story going forward. Each STEM world can have its own distinct flavor and phenomena based on the minds of the characters linked to it. The sky's the limit in terms of what sort of worlds they explore in the future, which is yet another reason I hope this amazing franchise continues.

Dunno if a lot of this should be without spoiler tags, not sure if open spoilers are supposed to be here.

Aikidoka

Who needs ammo when there's kidney or spine stabbing and throat slashing to be had? If you're talking about
the giant buzzsaw enemies
, just ignore them if you don't have enough ammo.

the game autosaved and loads me right next one of the fuckers.
Also, that one mission did a really annoying thing of freezing me while zombies kept approaching hope they don't keep doing that.

I think the story being upfront about the "artificial" nature of the world actually makes it more immersive than the first game's avoidance of the subject. While I liked the first game's story, it felt less coherent in its world-building since the shifting environments didn't have an apparent rhyme or reason until much later in the game. By comparison, TEW2's world feels more coherent from the start by establishing its nature and internal logic upfront.

Having a central location like Union to which you return and seeing how it's dissolving within the system also creates a sense of place and a sense of stakes, which aids in immersion. The "backstage" area of Marrow adds more context to how the place functions, as well. All of this helps me to buy into this "reality within a reality."

I actually think that's what makes STEM feel "magical" compared to other virtual worlds in fiction such as the Matrix. The human mind is inherently mysterious, and the world of STEM is shaped by the minds of the people in it. There's this suggestion that Mobius doesn't fully understand the human mind — that there may be something more to the human experience than instincts driven by binary 1s and 0s — and so what results is not a rigid system like you'd create in a computer, but something prone to instability and the manifestation of nightmares from the darker depths of the human mind.

Yep the whole set up for this is great and whos to say that...
they can't have a STEM bleeding affect happen in the real world
for future games.

Lucentto

Banned
On Chapter 14. I am kind of fed up with this game and it's insistence on stealth and it's mechanics. One of the reasons why I liked the first game because I could go go guns blazing if I wanted to, but in this one it seems extremely obvious that they don't want you to do that. Nothing but bullet sponge enemies. I am so sick of AAA games and their shitty stealth mechanics, this game was yet another victim.

Toa TAK

Banned
Finished up Chapter 5, and I have to say it's completely delivered on the experience I was hoping for in this game from beginning to end. Please tell me this isn't the peak of the game.

Yeah, I loved
both boss fights in that chapter

This game is pretty much perfect to me, wish I didn't have to do other stuff right now

The designs for them are obviously great, but I gotta give props for the arenas as well. The first one is littered with all sorts of cool traps to use and the second one is just so atmospheric.

On Chapter 14. I am kind of fed up with this game and it's insistence on stealth and it's mechanics. One of the reasons why I liked the first game because I could go go guns blazing if I wanted to, but in this one it seems extremely obvious that they don't want you to do that. Nothing but bullet sponge enemies. I am so sick of AAA games and their shitty stealth mechanics, this game was yet another victim.

So are you wanting like RE5 or 6 in action? Everyone has preferences of course, granted I find this game has plenty of action still.

Neiteio

Finished up Chapter 5, and I have to say it's completely delivered on the experience I was hoping for in this game from beginning to end. Please tell me this isn't the peak of the game.
I'm only on Ch. 7 and loving it so far (playing on Nightmare), and from the sounds of it the second half is even stronger. Excited!

Jawmuncher

Just beat it. Took me 12-13 hours and that's with what I consider decent exploring and doing all the side missions. So first off it's definitely recommended that you do those side missions and the shooting range since they offer up a lot of goodies. Besides that though I really enjoyed it. A lot more than the first one in fact. It fixed a lot of gripes I had such as an inconsistent story and game design ideas. So having something much more solidified this time around was nice to have. About my only complaint really was the game did miss that nice dirty look the first game had. But at least some environments especially near the end make up for that. I'd definitely take what I got here rather than the whiplash TEW1 offered with it's environments.

A lot of the changes here I think were for the better. I actually didn't mind the Hub World areas (Since there's only 2). I think they were interesting and they offered a good content most of the time. I never really felt like it was wasting time doing stuff in them like I would with other games. It might never be really scary but I don't consider the first game very scary either. Oddly enough I will say TEW 2 is what I envisioned Revelations 2 would've been with a bigger budget.

So overall definitely worth a play.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Have found enough time to play up to Chapter 11. Really enjoying the game. Still on Nightmare.

Have been in a few tight spots, in terms of resources. Really felt like I was scraping by a couple of times. It was satisfying rather than frustrating.

Am missing most of the statues, but feeling like I've been thorough otherwise. The little side-quests always seem worth doing.

EDIT
& yeah, that^^^

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

Me too. I'm soo glad I went with Nightmare difficulty form the get go. the battle just so god damn intense and I fucking love it.

Yeah this is pertinent info, because chapter 5 was the tits

yeah Nightmare was such a good choice. One of the best difficulty settings I've ever played.

At the start I was worried it was gonna be too difficult and force me to basically only do stealth, but it scales really nicely with your abilities and so far has provided a constant challenge and perfectly balanced amount of resources, much like the original game’s survival difficulty.

Finished Classic Mode. It wasn't as enjoyable as the lower difficulties mainly due to the lack of predator and ambush. Chapters 13 and 14 proved to the most troublesome parts for me.

Completion time/image below.

https://i.imgur.com/tmQCDsA.jpg

Nice work! I'm dreading the idea of going through that mode without any stealth speed upgrades--Sebastian moves so slow. Did you speed through a lot of it or really loot a ton in the open world sections?

hughesta

Banned
Fancy Clown the game def doesn't peak at Chapter 5

edit: idk why I clicked on that classic mode complete image rip

Not even mad tho

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Sanctuary

The Landmower Man?

I hope you know that I wasn't being serious. The Lawnmower Man was from '92 too, not '99.

I finally figured out what was causing the odd rushing with Ambush after changing the controls. It also finally explains why every "cover" point has an arrow. When they first show you how to take cover in the mini tutorial, you're already pressed up against the couch or whatever. I just assumed "taking cover" pressed you up against whatever objects allowed that. It works that way in many games. In this game however, using the cover button at a distance actually makes you rush towards a cover point and take cover. Just like Gears of War. They never really explained that, and the tutorial file doesn't really either.

I think there's some strange negative edge going on with specific buttons, or maybe it's just the 360 controller, but I always would hold the cover button while pressed up against a wall out of habit. Ambush sometimes works even without a prompt, so I would just hit the button as an enemy got close if no prompt appeared when it should have. Sometimes Sebastian would just zoom right past them and I couldn't figure out what the hell was going on. I guess what was happening was that when I hit the interact button to attack, but there was nothing to attack and I just so happened to be randomly pointing at a cover spot in the distance, the game would act like I pressed the cover button again (even though I'd just been holding it down the entire time).

This melee kick thing doesn't work. What the hell counts as stunned?

Shoot them in the knee a few times and they will hunch forward staggered. I really don't know what the point of the move is though, because it simply knocks them prone. And maybe it's supposed to allow this, but I never once got the stomp prompt when they were on the ground this way, only if I knocked them down by gunfire.

Mubbed

Nice work! I'm dreading the idea of going through that mode without any stealth speed upgrades--Sebastian moves so slow. Did you speed through a lot of it or really loot a ton in the open world sections?
Only spent time exploring during chapter 3 to acquire all the necessary weapons and a few pouch upgrades. The shooting gallery rewards helped during the earlier chapters and there's enough resources in the linear levels during the second half of the game.

If I may ask, what are the unlockables for beating it on Classic Mode?
Infinite ammo is the only thing that caught my eye.

Just finished up my 3 day/15 hour rental from Redbox. God damn, what a ride!

The first hour is basically nightmare fuel
the room morphing, surrealistic nature
, with the rest being spooky/tense moment to moment action. Some great world design coupled with monster design gave me pure ass out of my seat moments. Shinji Mikami still has the magic of creeping me the fuck out. I would absolutely recommend this to lapsed Resident Evil/Silent Hill fans, as there's lots to see, and lots to get creeped out by!

Also,
where was that other Mobius team member, the black dude? Was he Theodore? When his info was up on my wall in my room, he didn't receive an "X" like every other team member. Did I miss the cat, or did I miss a story beat?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

, with the rest being spooky/tense moment to moment action. Some great world design coupled with monster design gave me pure ass out of my seat moments. Shinji Mikami still has the magic of creeping me the fuck out. I would absolutely recommend this to lapsed Resident Evil/Silent Hill fans, as there's lots to see, and lots to get creeped out by!

Also,
where was that other Mobius team member, the black dude? Was he Theodore? When his info was up on my wall in my room, he didn't receive an "X" like every other team member. Did I miss the cat, or did I miss a story beat?
it's possible that you
completely missed his safe-room in the theatre district? he has a little event where he's standing on the bus the first time you meet him. He also has a late-game sidequest/resolution when you return to that area.

it's possible that you
completely missed his safe-room in the theatre district? he has a little event where he's standing on the bus the first time you meet him. He also has a late-game sidequest/resolution when you return to that area.

Yup, I missed it! Bummer!! What does his late game side quest entail?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yup, I missed it! Bummer!! What does his late game side quest entail?

you help him exit STEM via a backdoor. it's a risky move for him, and it isn't clear whether he survived. it's a cool little moment.

kodecraft

Also,

Dude,
you missed out on my favorite character in the game.

you help him exit STEM via a backdoor. it's a risky move for him, and it isn't clear whether he survived. it's a cool little moment.

Dude,

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

To be comepletely honest, I remember telling my wife that I "felt bad" because I rented it versus not buying it BECUASE of how good it felt to play/all of the side quests and extra nick nacks you were able to pick up. I might just go out and buy it to give it a few more spins, considering how much I enjoyed it!

Thank you both for the clairification.

Duxxy3

https://youtu.be/7zd2NHFcFCA

Just watched this. The Kidman actresses aren't hugely different. I do have a preference for the first actress though. Sebastian's voice actor... good god the second VA sounds terrible.

I hope if there is a third game that they bring back the original cast.

Dude,

In my playthrough I found Sykes, but didn't help him in the marrow.

Neiteio

I should've been taking notes while playing Ch. 3 and Ch. 7 (open world), since this game is doing a lot of interesting things to keep you engaged during the free-roaming areas.

There are so many meticulously designed pockets of activity throughout the city, as well as more elaborate set-pieces and story-driven moments branching off of seemingly inconspicuous buildings (such as the scripted
ghost encounters at the colonial in Ch. 3 and the diner in Ch.7)
), not to mention ways the game plays with your line of sight and draws you into certain areas that trigger special challenges (i.e. Ch. 7's
back alley with the storage shed key, springing a Guardian on you on the way out
).

It's a sandbox that feels rigorously designed while still sporting the player agency that makes a sandbox so enjoyable in the first place. Impressive stuff, and a great palate cleanser between the more traditional groupings of linear levels.

Peroroncino

https://youtu.be/7zd2NHFcFCA

Just watched this. The Kidman actresses aren't hugely different. I do have a preference for the first actress though. Sebastian's voice actor... good god the second VA sounds terrible.

I hope if there is a third game that they bring back the original cast.

In my playthrough I found Sykes, but didn't help him in the marrow.

I fuckin' knew something was off about Sebastian's performance, goddammit, they changed Anson... :/

As for the Kidman, I think I actually prefer the second actress.

btw. I'm 3 hours in, chapter 3 and I love it, bought it new today, the news about sales being 75% down kind of pushed me over and so far I'm not regretting my choice.

Toa TAK

Banned
I’d prefer the original cast.

Also the original designs of the characters. Kidman looks like another character all together in 2.

Neiteio

I'd prefer the original cast.

Also the original designs of the characters. Kidman looks like another character all together in 2.
I like the new VA. To be honest they don't sound that different from the original ones and I'm not sure I would've noticed if it hadn't been pointed out.

I also like Kidman's new design. Looks like the original but with a bit of Julia Voth (REmake Jill) inspiration added in:

theevilwithin2_201710nwkxx.png

theevilwithin2_201710vxpmy.png

theevilwithin2_2017100mjel.png

theevilwithin2_201710d0utl.png

theevilwithin2_201710q1ubq.png

theevilwithin2_201710xfu8y.png

Astral

I’m on Chaptet 6 but so far 2 and 5 are my favorite. Anything involving Stefano is so good. The portraits, atmosphere, the music, it’s all so disturbing and unsettling. The open world is alright but I want more of this.

Neiteio

Stefano is a pretty great character so far (at Ch. 7). I was worried he'd be Salazar levels of cheese (he was fine in RE4, but he'd be a bit much here), but I'm happy to see that his tropey-ness is more subtle and underplayed. He's still flamboyant and has a fanciful accent, but it's understated enough that he comes off as genuinely menacing when he appears.

Thewonandonly

The puzzle in
Ch. 5
, right?

The thing that keeps spooking me is the fucking
ghost
, I piss my pants whenever/wherever it appears.
Yup then it just keeps getting creepier once you go down the hallway. Damn game well done with creeping me out, I thought I was immune after RE7 in VR...

Yup when I have to hide from that it gets me all tense haha.

This game is amazing also

I like the new VA. To be honest they don't sound that different from the original ones and I'm not sure I would've noticed if it hadn't been pointed out.

I also like Kidman's new design. Looks like the original but with a bit of Julia Voth (REmake Jill) inspiration added in:

Maybe I just have Mindhunters on my mind, but she looks like Anna Torv in Mindhunters

Neiteio

I think one of the unsettling things about the
ghost
is depending on where you are when it appears, you might not see where it is at first, so you might run right into it, lol. That's why I usually hunker down at first and try to pinpoint its location before sneaking away in the opposite direction.

Johndoey

Banned
Just hit Chapter 15 I've started to check out but since I'm near the end I'll just push through. The couple of dramatic emotional scenes have been so corny and self serious I can't help but love them.

Design wise (At least so far) the game peaked with
Obscura
I love that design.

Bebpo

Banned
Man, did not like Ch.5&6

I can't believe Ch.5 was just one boss fight and then a bunch of talk nothing for the entire stage and then a kinda crappy boss fight and then you leave. Like they should've had some encounters in City Hall.

Ch.6 was a couple of zombies but otherwise just the big blob sneak room and that was it.

Where is the stage based combat scenarios? I feel like the only fun combat bit in ch.1-6 so far was the Ch.4 Marrow room where you trigger the exit and enemies are released since you can plant traps and stuff similar to the first game.

Game has way too much talk/cutscenes/walking simulator. Feels kinda up its own ass. So far in ch.7, the pacing of this game has been a clusterfuck. It's either open world sandbox areas that are dull or linear sections that are all talk/cutscenes. Feels like it completely misses the pace of a survival action game like RE4.

Really hoping the 2nd half turns this around.

Top Bottom