• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 |OT| "Something not quite right"

myco666

Got to chapter 5 on Classic mode. This mode is extremely nerve-racking. So close to having over hour of progress just erased.

myco666

Are you rushing it or actually doing everything?

No way in hell I am doing everything in this mode. Somewhere in the middle of those is my approach. I have a pretty decent idea how to get bunch of resources with very minimal enemy encounters and I am going to ignore all sidequests. I might
help Sykes to get the second safehouse open but thats it.
Figured that since you can't upgrade anything there isn't that much need for actually explore that much. I do plan to get most of the keys though.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

I'm at Ch. 3 right now. Have opened/explore maybe the bottom 60% of the Unity map so far. Playing on Nightmare. It is definitely very challenging and tense. Been extremely strapped for ammo. Stealth kills are practically the only way I'm able to kill anything. I loved the first game (played through it like 7 times over the years) and this is just so good so far.

The ghost lady thing in the house on Cedar Ave was outstanding and unsettling.

As for today, I finally cleared out
Tredwell Trucking
but I'm stuck in the garage. I opened it up, but it seems the other side of the room (leading to the stairs) is locked and the crawlspace is blocked with a board. Is there a way to break it that I'm missing or do I just need to progress further or something to open it up?

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Derpot

I'm in Team Stefano too. I have a thing for flamboyant villains haha

I prefer Theodore to Stefano personally, but I understand that's all an acquired taste.

It also is kind of confirmed in TEW2 that there's at least two types of people within STEM who can change it more thoroughly from within. Stefano is in many ways a 'poor man's' Ruvik, but he's a psychopath like Ruvik was in some ways (though for different reasons and not quite as extreme or intelligent as Ruvik was either). But because they have a similar 'state', they have similar powers. It manifests itself sometimes differently, but Stefano has Ruvik's teleport ability, and he seems to have a weaker sort of world manipulation and creature creation that Ruvik had. It's much weaker, but it's still there to some extent. There's even a few direct callbacks to things Ruvik did in the original TEW1 in Stefano, like his giant 'Eye' monster with the gaze you don't want to go into.

Theodore meanwhile is a very different beast, and Yukiko implies his type is more dangerous than a psychopath in STEM. His ability seems to be more direct control.He has direct influence on other people within STEM, a manipulator. What I took Theodore to be is that he has a good eye naturally to be persuasive and read people to bend to his will naturally, but within STEM this manifests itself more literally. He can directly view into a person's psyche and influence the world directly through them (since everyone has a passive affect on STEM, Theodore seems to be able to tap and manipulate these passive influences to directly control others). I think that's why he's considered more dangerous within STEM, psychopaths are egomaniacs. Ruvik was the core so he had direct control over the world, but was also a stronger and more aware mind within STEM so he could do more than Stefano. Theodore however is a controller who can more easily control STEM even without the power of the Core due to his ability to directly influence and tap into others to both do his bidding if they fall into their own weaknesses tapped into by him, but also directly change the world how he desires to through them. He can't directly conjure up things like Stefano or Ruvik can I don't think, but he can bend things to his will.

Kind of my thoughts on them and their abilities.

What about
Myra? She had insane powers too. I understood that the explanation was her "powerful maternal instinct", but is that it?

Phreak47

I'm at Ch. 3 right now. Have opened/explore maybe the bottom 60% of the Unity map so far. Playing on Nightmare. It is definitely very challenging and tense. Been extremely strapped for ammo. Stealth kills are practically the only way I'm able to kill anything. I loved the first game (played through it like 7 times over the years) and this is just so good so far.

The ghost lady thing in the house on Cedar Ave was outstanding and unsettling.

As for today, I finally cleared out
Tredwell Trucking
but I'm stuck in the garage. I opened it up, but it seems the other side of the room (leading to the stairs) is locked and the crawlspace is blocked with a board. Is there a way to break it that I'm missing or do I just need to progress further or something to open it up?

Haha yeah I had that same thing happen. Wasted a pistol round thinking I could break that board. As was said already, a storyline development will end up getting you through there.

I'm only on chapter 6, playing nightmare mode. As with the first game, I am finding it invaluable to get the stamina leveled up asap so I can stealth kill and run my way out of bad situations, then sneak back in. It's a time consuming play tactic that takes patience, but I enjoy it. Save the ammo for when you really need it.

Dusk Golem

BBboy20

So this is just my interpretation, but (game ending spoilers)
Myra's visual design gives a very obvious clue since she's literally blinded in her human/Ruvik esque form. There are two big ambiguous 'forces' in the game, the first being Laura and the two monsters that take her form in TEW2 (though been some discussion on that). The bigger thematic is the white goo, which is kind of the 'main theme' of TEW2 but it's never directly explained what it is. It looks like the Goo that people submerge themselves in when they enter STEM, so it might represent something about STEM itself. The Lost ooze the liquid, some of them even are so turned over to it that they instead of blood on headshots have white ooze come out. The Lost in the last chapter have a hollow facial look that Myra's final boss form also has, and of course earlier in the game in Chapter 6 we see a literal goo monster. Inexplicably the white goo also has some sort of spider motif, the white goo monster from Chapter 6 when it goes into offensive mode gets spider creatures, and so does Myra for the final boss, and even lays spider sacs with spider monsters. Sebastian mentions that Myra has been losing herself like the Lost have, but it's obviously in a very different way than them. And then while Ruvik comparisons can be made with Stefano, they in some ways are even deeper within Myra as she literally gets Ruvik's white cloak thing and has the exact same disorientation visual effect Ruvik had in certain scenes in the original TEW1.

I'm certain the white cloak means SOMETHING within STEM, it's never explained what it is in either TEW1 or TEW2. It's easy in TEW1 to just pass it off as part of Ruvik's character design, but then he never had a white cloak before STEM so where did it come from? I never really put it into question until TEW2 though as Myra gets the exact same white cloak and effects, so it implies to me the white cloak has more importance than I think many give it credit for. I'm not really sure what it means though.

I think whatever is happening to Myra is involved with the White Goo and the cloak, however.
1408_zpsa0d3c1fc.gif

It just went with the whole religious statuette look but holy shit!

holygeesus

Banned
Erm, am I missing something with Chapter 8? I am being insta-killed within one second of the game reloading the checkpoint. I've died once reaching this point, now have died literally 15 times in the space of a few minutes. Whoever designed this level sucks donkey dick.

Dusk Golem

Classic save #4
1st save: Before warehouse searching for Lily chapter 3
2nd save: Before chainsaw lady fight chapter 5
3rd save: Before Stefano chapter 7
4th save: Before cabin section chapter 9

This one was a bear for me. Twice I made it past Stefano and cleared a lengthy portion of chapter 9 only to get absolutely destroyed by the Fire guys you have to fight before you meet Theodore. They charge you at you and I think this was probably the most stressful moment of classic mode so far for me. I wasted a lot of resources during the Stefano fight so I need to be careful in the next few chapters not to deplete myself.

Derpot

So this is just my interpretation, but (game ending spoilers)
Myra's visual design gives a very obvious clue since she's literally blinded in her human/Ruvik esque form. There are two big ambiguous 'forces' in the game, the first being Laura and the two monsters that take her form in TEW2 (though been some discussion on that). The bigger thematic is the white goo, which is kind of the 'main theme' of TEW2 but it's never directly explained what it is. It looks like the Goo that people submerge themselves in when they enter STEM, so it might represent something about STEM itself. The Lost ooze the liquid, some of them even are so turned over to it that they instead of blood on headshots have white ooze come out. The Lost in the last chapter have a hollow facial look that Myra's final boss form also has, and of course earlier in the game in Chapter 6 we see a literal goo monster. Inexplicably the white goo also has some sort of spider motif, the white goo monster from Chapter 6 when it goes into offensive mode gets spider features, and so does Myra for the final boss, and even lays spider sacs with spider monsters. Sebastian mentions that Myra has been losing herself like the Lost have, but it's obviously in a very different way than them. And then while Ruvik comparisons can be made with Stefano, they in some ways are even deeper within Myra as she literally gets Ruvik's white cloak thing and has the exact same disorientation visual effect Ruvik had in certain scenes in the original TEW1.

I'm certain the white cloak means SOMETHING within STEM, it's never explained what it is in either TEW1 or TEW2. It's easy in TEW1 to just pass it off as part of Ruvik's character design, but then he never had a white cloak before STEM so where did it come from? I never really put it into question until TEW2 though as Myra gets the exact same white cloak and effects, so it implies to me the white cloak has more importance than I think many give it credit for. I'm not really sure what it means though.

I think whatever is happening to Myra is involved with the White Goo and the cloak, however.

Yeah as you said,
it does look like that weird white liquid in STEM bathtubs. It wasn't there in the first TEW though, I guess TEW2 STEM is another version or something like that.
But I really wonder how Myra got control on it. Since the white liquid is linked to STEM, and Lily is STEM's Core, maybe because of her powerful bond with Lily who is the Core that makes STEM work? Heh, dunno.

Phreak47

Should I hoard the locker keys or use them right away? Is the lockers randomized like the first game?

Good question, i just assumed it probably doesn't matter. When I played the first game, I tested that randomness theory by reloading my save and seeing that the same locker would give a different item every time. Heh I gamed the system a couple times by doing that until it gave me shit I wanted. So I was kind of assuming it would be the same here, and using the keys right away would make no difference. I suppose the only one would be that lockers wouldn't offer ammo that you hadn't yet discovered in the world.

DirtyLarry

There's a lot of great awful dialogue in this game from Seb (and I mean that in a loving way), but so far the best has been what I just heard. Start of Chapter 9, he is investigating some things, and he said the classic
"Torture devices. This place is almost medieval."
I just thought that was so hilariously bad.

Astral

There's a lot of great awful dialogue in this game from Seb (and I mean that in a loving way), but so far the best has been what I just heard. Start of Chapter 9, he is investigating some things, and he said the classic

The absolute worst line comes from Kidman in the final chapter. It’s the only one that made me laugh out loud at how bad it was.

Phreak47

I'm only on chapter 6, but I just read that spoiler, haha. That's just as bad/great as
Tatiana giving you the ol' "you and he really aren't so different" cliche when you speak to her in the upgrade area.

Neff

Man, this game is really growing on me. STEM is such a fantastic setup for a gameworld.

It's brilliant. They really can go anywhere and do anything, delve into the most twisted and nightmarish scenarios possible without it being hokey or improbable. It'd be a real shame if there isn't a The Evil Within 3.

Hopefully that final shot means Beth is keen.

goddamnit is that dumb ghost going to be following me around all game. This game just dropped from like a 9 down to an 8.5.

It's mega, mega easy to avoid in 95% of situations.

If you survive it enough times though, you'll get a nice present.

d00d3n

How do I safely take out "sleeping enemies" that haven't been activated yet? Can't be stealth killed. I am wasting too much ammo headshotting them ...

How do I take on crowds in the early game (chapter 3)? I just opened the back door of a van and five enemies rushed me. The shotgun was ineffective.

Phreak47

How do I safely take out "sleeping enemies" that haven't been activated yet? Can't be stealth killed. I am wasting too much ammo headshotting them ...

How do I take on crowds in the early game (chapter 3)? I just opened the back door of a van and five enemies rushed me. The shotgun was ineffective.

Crouch in front of them and hit your melee button to wake them (or possibly finish them, if you have an axe or powered up melee). If it only wakes them, you can quickly ditch and set up a stealth kill.

Run and hide from groups until they enter a normal patrol pattern, then plot your stealth kills.

the trick is during the "get up" animation, they are unaware of your presence regardless of your position. So I would immediately get behind them and the stealth kill prompt should show up.

Neff

bottle to the head will put sleeping enemies into an instant stun so you can sneak kill them.

d00d3n

Crouch in front of them and hit your melee button to wake them (or possibly finish them, if you have an axe or powered up melee). If it only wakes them, you can quickly ditch and set up a stealth kill.

Run and hide from groups until they enter a normal patrol pattern, then plot your stealth kills.
the trick is during the "get up" animation, they are unaware of your presence regardless of your position. So I would immediately get behind them and the stealth kill prompt should show up.
bottle to the head will put sleeping enemies into an instant stun so you can sneak kill them.

Thanks

UrbanRats

Finally figured out how the Predator skill works.

Basically, when you're sneaking behind them, you have to aim to their head to get the little red arrow and activate the skill.
Problem is, when you're sneaking you don't have the crosshair on screen, so you just have to wing it.

Kind of moronic.

holygeesus

Banned
What pat of Chapter 8?

I have one assumption.
If you mean phase 2 of the boss battle, the giant tentacles can't hit where the lamps/desks are, so stick close to them/the shadow of the walls (they can break through walls with no further details though).

Thanks. There was some glitch and I had to restart the chapter. As soon as I moved from the checkpoint, the tentacle squished me, but restarting seemed to free it and I did it first time. Very strange.

Tbf, major kudos to the game for not putting sleeping enemies into an invulnerable state until triggered. Love how you can disarm them at your own pace if you pay attention to the environment.

indeed. Nothing tops what the Big Bad sez when
kidman
tells him to fuck off, tho.
You're foolish...but oddly admirable
. Had to pause the game due to so much laughter.

Azzanadra

Is bullet cascade worth it or should I wait for synaptic focus? Have 30k gel at the moment at chapter 9, I feel like at this point I would hit the 90k I would need by like end game... seems bets to wait for a ng+ for this sorta upgrade, unless gel drops increase dramatically from now on.

Kazuhira

Basically, when you're sneaking behind them, you have to aim to their head to get the little red arrow and activate the skill.
Problem is, when you're sneaking you don't have the crosshair on screen, so you just have to wing it.

Kind of moronic.

You don't have to aim to the head,just put the enemy in the center of the screen.
Check your hud options and enable a dot in the center of the screen,practice the skill with it.
You can disable it again when you get used to the skill,if the dot bothers you.

myco666

Tbf, major kudos to the game for not putting sleeping enemies into an invulnerable state until triggered. Love how you can disarm them at your own pace if you pay attention to the environment.

Was done way better in the first game though. Just drop a match and poof.

Which actually reminds me. It is super shitty that enemies don't instantly die from fire in this game. Or from the axe.

dlauv

Enemies had a very good reason to be so weak to fire in the first game though.

Is bullet cascade worth it or should I wait for synaptic focus? Have 30k gel at the moment at chapter 9, I feel like at this point I would hit the 90k I would need by like end game... seems bets to wait for a ng+ for this sorta upgrade, unless gel drops increase dramatically from now on.

Bullet cascade is more useful than synaptic focus imo. The latter drains stamina and the former rewards sequential shot placement.

Kind of moronic.

You can turn on crosshair 'dot' in options to be always on, I've been playing it like that all game lol.

Also to answer my own question earlier- Yes, the fire harpoon is still really strong lol.

At least, it's able to take down a crawler in oneshot, and a gas lady in 2 shots. I get the feeling its not going to be that powerful against fire type enemies though, hope I'm wrong.

myco666

Enemies had a very good reason to be so weak to fire in the first game though.

Was there also a good story reason for them to be weak to axes? Fire not killing enemies instantly is just a really unnecessary nerf when you don't even have matches anymore. It is making the combat less fun.

Granjinha

I'm in Team Stefano too. I have a thing for flamboyant villains haha

What about
Myra? She had insane powers too. I understood that the explanation was her "powerful maternal instinct", but is that it?

Well, she was the Core. Theodore even talks about how she can't control the power that comes from being the Core (she tooks that mantle so Theodore won't abduct Lily, and when he stabs Myra he says "Now i have the power of the Core")

Kind of moronic.

I just figured this out as well last night. Took me to chapter 12. I was getting pissed at the inconsistency of it. I don't believe it ever explained this.

BadWolf

Kind of moronic.

One thing I heard is that the skill that reduces the sound of your footsteps is actually better (and cheaper gel wise) than the predator skill. The final (third?) upgrade lets you sprint up to enemies to stealth kill them and the enemy won't hear you.

KDC720

Slowley plugging away, got to Chapter 7 last night and still really enjoying it.

The atmosphere may not be on the same level as the first game but I thought the buildup to the Chapter 5 boss was fantastic, it's introduction and design was also super Silent Hill.

I also was not expecting
that giant buzzsaw lady thing
to start roaming around the chapter 7 area, this game constantly keeps you on your toes and I love it.

Phreak47

I also was not expecting
that giant buzzsaw lady thing
to start roaming around the chapter 7 area, this game constantly keeps you on your toes and I love it.

Yeah i'm right about where you are, and I haven't dared to take that thing on, and it ALWAYS seems to be nearby. The danger level of the open areas keeps ramping up.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Finally finished it. Loved it from start to end. The atmosphere in some places was amazing.
Though I do have a couple of nitpicks.

1. Lesser variety of locale. I remember the first game had all kinds of environments. Old houses, creepy hallways, small towns, cities and even castles. This mostly was sub-urban sprawl or hallways. Would've loved some jungles, dilapidated medieval towns etc. I know some jungles etc were there for a very little while. Not enough.

2. Controls were slightly tank, though improvement from the first game as far as I remember.

Did we really have to kill the nice characters, including the ladies?

I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying the game, but the stealth is a bit broken. You can run away from a lot of the encounters and just stealth back in and kill everything.

I can see why fans of the first game might have problems with it. It reminds me more of MGSV and The Last of Us. To me that's a good thing, but it's definitely a strange sequel.

I'm completely in love with the game, though.

I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying the game, but the stealth is a bit broken. You can run away from a lot of the encounters and just stealth back in and kill everything.

I can see why fans of the first game might have problems with it. It reminds me more of MGSV and The Last of Us. To me that's a good thing, but it's definitely a strange sequel.

I'm completely in love with the game, though.

Stealth is definitely tougher in MGSV and TLOU because a lot of enemies have ranged attacks, and their investigative behavior is more difficult to dealt with. TEW2's enemies are mostly melee and very easy to lose. They don't do a good job of sniffing out the player, either.

Jebral

Well, after the first boss fight I decided to restart on nightmare, keep the fov at 65, drop the gamma just a touch, ignore coffee pots unless I'm just in a pickle and roll with whatever happens. No reloading for the sake of efficiency!

So much better now.

On survival I feel like I had waaaay too many health items. Nightmare seems to have fixed my issues with the game so far. I was afraid it would be a sadistic crawl with no ammo, but it seems pretty reasonable so far. About to wrap up chapter 3. I was afraid chapter 3 again was going to be a slog but it's actually more fun now that I've acclimated to the bits of jank and know how to play.

I'm not normally one for playing things on hard, I just want to enjoy myself so I usually stick to normal difficulties. I kinda think nightmare should have been normal. And that there should be another difficulty between nightmare and classic. Or something.

I want to play more South Park but I'm having a tough time pulling myself away.

Phased

Well, after the first boss fight I decided to restart on nightmare, keep the fov at 65, drop the gamma just a touch, ignore coffee pots unless I'm just in a pickle and roll with whatever happens. No reloading for the sake of efficiency!

So much better now.

On survival I feel like I had waaaay too many health items. Nightmare seems to have fixed my issues with the game so far. I was afraid it would be a sadistic crawl with no ammo, but it seems pretty reasonable so far. About to wrap up chapter 3. I was afraid chapter 3 again was going to be a slog but it's actually more fun now that I've acclimated to the bits of jank and know how to play.

I'm not normally one for playing things on hard, I just want to enjoy myself so I usually stick to normal difficulties. I kinda think nightmare should have been normal. And that there should be another difficulty between nightmare and classic. Or something.

I want to play more South Park but I'm having a tough time pulling myself away.

Nightmare felt nearly perfect for me in terms of ammo and health. Until the very end when they literally throw materials and ammo at you I was extremely strapped for ammo and it felt great always worrying about how I'd manage the next encounter.

Smoke bolts are pretty OP once upgraded but I didn't realize that until right at the end.

DirtyLarry

I see you received multiple replies on how to take them out, which were actually helpful to me as well, but what I have been doing is a
regular bolt to the head while they are on the ground. Get that satisfying head explosion and there have so far been plenty of pipes and spare arrows around.

And glad to see I am not the only one who gets a kick out of the great cheesy dialogue. It truly adds a charm to the game that would not be there otherwise. Look forward to hearing some of the ones that were shared.

Top Bottom