• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 PC performance thread

Unreal

6600K 4.5Ghz
2x8GB 3200Mhz
GTX 970 1450/7400

Settings (all Ultra except motion blur turned off)

16js6o.jpg
2hosz3.jpg
3bwsnt.jpg

Melchior

The game runs surprisingly well for me. 6600k 960 4gb. It hovered 40~50 on medium settings with a few settings disabled at 90fov. But what is weird is that the CPU will not go above 45% usage under any condition. It's just hard stuck to 45%. Then my GPU usage wouldn't go above 85% so I'm a bit confused. But happy enough it runs well

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Now if you unpack the game and then go back to your regular online. Will the game pack everything back up so you have to unpack it all again or will it just prevent you from playing it.

The latter. Not that it matters now, but I figured I'd answer for the sake of future reference.

JaseC you could've told me VPN reset any downloads you have. Was at 25GB on Shadow of War went to do this and now I'm back to 0. That shit ain't gonna be done until Monday at this rate.

I understand your frustration, but it's not possible for me to warn you against something that hasn't happened to me or, to the best of my knowledge, anybody else. I make use of VPNs relatively often and can confidently say the active download should have either continued uninterrupted or changed from "Downloading" to "Download Now" or "Scheduled for x" and resumed just fine. However, software being software, sometimes things break and I'm sorry Steam's wheels fell off in the middle of it downloading a 69GB game.

How do I cap the framerate with NVIDIA Inspector after I open the program?

You want to impose the cap before you run the game. Instructions for both RTSS and Nvidia Inspector are in the OP.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Sanctuary

I'm done with this game until they patch the performance. It's terrible. My frame rate is locked at 60fps. It doesn't lower at all, yet it's a stuttery, fucking mess that plays out like Bloodborne at its absolute worst, but like 50% of the time instead of 5%.

Game runs surprisingly well for me too, I was under one of the minimum requirements for the game (my GPU, which is getting old), but not having much issue running it at least above 45-60fps with medium settings.

My game doesn't even budge below 60fps and it plays like a nightmare.

StewboaT_

i5 6500
1060 6gb
16gb ram

From chapter 1 - 3 it has fluctuated from 50 - 80 fps on medium settings with camera motion blur turned off.

Strangely, when it drops it still feels somewhat smooth...maybe the steam fps counter is wonky tho.

Game itself is fucking awesome so far, can't wait to continue tomorrow.

Oh, the microstutters are present but it's not really bothering me much at all.

kodecraft

i5-7600k
GTX 1060/6GB
16GB RAM

@1080p/High/60fps locked

Game runs solid and smooth for me...only time I got micro stutter was when coming back into the game from a save and doing a quick turnaround.

Love the way this 'feels' from a game play perspective. In chapter 3 grabbed the crossbow and saved....will continue tomorrow.

The only thing I'm missing is my letterbox dammit. I have to use them on my second play through.

Sanctuary

I don't know if the in game performance metrics are showing frame times or what that's actually supposed to be, but the CPU keeps jumping between 17 to 35 usually, sometimes spiking to 54, while the GPU remains at 11, sometimes spiking to 24.

RTSS shows my GPU utilization never goes above 65% and the CPU hasn't even hit 60% yet, and the frame rate never drops below 60 either.

Yet it constantly feels and looks like it's dropping well below 30fps, almost even below 20fps. It's not just occasionally either, it's literally every few seconds.

This might be the worse performing game I've played on my pc.

I can say absolutely without a doubt or any hyperbole that this definitely is for me. I haven't had any performance issues remotely this bad on this PC since I've had it. Performance wise, it's hard to imagine the consoles being worse.

Stygr

Banned
1440p/60 fps with a mixture of high and ultra settings, no motion blur.
1070, i5 6600k, 16 gb ram and Windows 10.

Is running way better than TEW, there are some small dips but its enjoyable.

dsk1210

Poor performance from this.

980ti

hits 60fps but judders regularly just like the first, even with setting dropped and resolution. I think it seems to be timing on the cpu side according to the performance metrics.

I knew I should have held off.

Game seems good though, hopefully they sort the performance out.

Bebpo

Banned
980 here, stutters like all fuck on anything above 30fps. Not even framerate related, doesn't matter if it's medium or ultra, totally a mess.

But with 30fps locked I can run Ultra just fine at 1080p (can't seem to get the game to recognize higher than 1080p DSR), so I'm ok with it. I played the original on PS4 at <30fps so this is fine to me.

Graphically game looks a lot worse than I remember the first game looking. Feels like the textures took a big hit (everything is pretty low detail), the lighting is fairly flat and the effects like floating shiny stuff from a mirror all look weaker than I remember the first game looking (I remember the first game looking pretty great). But then considering they went to open world with this game it'd make sense that those kind of things took a hit from the linear original for performance purposes.

Art direction is fantastic though, so pretty satisfied with the look of the game.

Minlack

Neo Member
1060 6gb, Ryzen 7 1800x, 32GB RAM, Windows 10, updated drivers.

At 1080p, High, constantly sub-55 fps. Often down to 40-50.

GPU utilisation never reaches higher than 81%. Mostly 70-75%.

CPU utilisation never more than 66% on any single thread, so not throttling.

Not sure what the issue is.

jg4xchamp

Lazy people help. I got a GTX 970, 1080p 60 faps at ultra or high? Only setting I care about is the resolution, and the framerate. The rest can be low and I wouldn't really give that much of a fuck. But I'd also like to avoid another shoddy port out of the gate, feels me?

Zojirushi

I think y'all with bad frame timing need to clearify what combination of in game or external/driver Vsynch and frame cap methods you are using because this wouldn't be the first game to react poorly to some of these.

I'm getting 60+ FPS with a GTX 1080 as expected, but the game stutters all the time. It feels like it's dropping frames, but the counter always shows 60 FPS 16.6 ms frametime. I'll try updating the drivers to see if it solves the problem.

TEW1 was exactly the same. We could unlock the framerate to 60 fps, it said 60 fps... but it never felt like it really was.

dsk1210

Looks like I should hold off for the moment, or maybe look into getting the PS4 version. :/

Its easy to get a perfect 30fps like the console with the in Game v-sync at much higher resolutions, it's hitting 60 solid that is the problem, even though it should not be according to usage.

jrcbandit

What is performance like at 4K Ultra on a single 1080ti?

Very very poor for 4k. Had to turn it down to 1440p, but I can set everything to Ultra with FXAA+TAA and get a constant 60 FPS with stable frame times (medium detail analytics), although with the high detail analytics mode the CPU shows some fluctuation but not as bad as others have mentioned.

I'm getting 60+ FPS with a GTX 1080 as expected, but the game stutters all the time. It feels like it's dropping frames, but the counter always shows 60 FPS 16.6 ms frametime. I'll try updating the drivers to see if it solves the problem.

TEW1 was exactly the same. We could unlock the framerate to 60 fps, it said 60 fps... but it never felt like it really was.

Try 60FPS limit with RTSS. That's what got rid of stuttering in the first game for me.

Sanctuary

I seriously didn't have this problem with the first game. Now though, I'm getting to experience what everyone else was complaining about, and there's pretty much no reason for it other than really bad optimization.

edit: Same PC as before, with the only difference being a GTX 1080 instead of 780, and an additional 8GB of ram. Neither The Witcher 3 nor Human Revolution ever came close to running this poorly either. I can't believe this game is more demanding. There's just no way. It's not exactly ugly, but there's nothing to suggest it should be a performance hog. The OSD is showing that it's barely utilizing half of the available resources anyway.

Try 60FPS limit with RTSS. That's what got rid of stuttering in the first game for me.

Doesn't do anything. RTSS capping at 60, off, in game vsync 30, 60, set by display, off, 1080p, 1440p, 2160p, full screen, borderless, windowed, nothing works.

dsk1210

Right hold on.

I have set Nvidia control panel v-sync to 3d application, shut down Rivatuner and RTSS, also used 60fps in game v-sync.

I seem to have a solid 60fps at 1080p on high with a 980ti, the random stuttering is not happening now. Latest Nvidia drivers.

Sanctuary

Right hold on.

I have set Nvidia control panel v-sync to 3d application, shut down Rivatuner and RTSS.

I seem to have a solid 60fps at 1080p on high with a 980ti, the random stuttering is not happening now. Latest Nvidia drivers.

Tried that too, and it didn't change anything for me.

edit: Okay, I found an option that's making a huge difference that shouldn't be. Camera Motion Blur. I normally don't mess with motion blur unless it's extremely noticeable, and for this game I turned down Object Blur, but left the Camera alone. For whatever reason, with it on, it doesn't just do normal blurring. There's still stutter, but it's grossly exaggerated with the blur on, almost to the point in which it looks like really jerky slowdown. With it off, it looks a lot smoother than it did with it on, but the frame pacing issues are still there. Just not as pronounced.

Nick_C

i7-4820k @ 4 GHz
GTX 1080 Founder's
16 GB RAM
1080p

Haven't noticed any real difference in performance between High and Ultra settings. Get occasional frame dips to the mid-50s. Biggest drop was to 45, but that was in one of the loading areas. Running at 60 FPS w/ V-sync.

970 and i5-6600k here. Switched the preset to high and only changed AA to TAA (no fxaa). Runs pretty good at around 60 with some areas going down to 45 and others up to 75. However I will say that with G-Sync the 45-50fps areas are the smoothest I've ever seen from that framerate. I wouldn't have even noticed if I wasn't checking the FPS counter.

i7 4790k
1080Ti
16 GB RAM
Win 7
Driver: 385.41
Game is installed on a SSD.

Settings: maxed out except blur-stuff, filmgrain and CA; with TAA

Performance in:

1080p - mostly 60, some minor drops here and there

Downsampled:
3k- 50-60, frequent stutter, no matter what settings;
seems not to be framepacing related

4k- 40-50, also frequent stutter
weird: with framerate cap@45, I get 30-45

What I tried to get rid of the stuttering:
- ingame V-Sync off -> even worse performance
- all settings to low
- V-Sync on via driver
- prerendered frames @1 and 3
- power management mode: max

-> nothing helped

Honestly, I don`t want to play this game in 1080p, so I`ll wait `till a fix is released.

Blitzhex

Make sure to enable borderless windowed gsync because full screen in this game isn't actually exclusive fullscreen and there's no way to force exclusive fullscreen. It's an idtech thing, they always run borderless.

Truant

Alright, just tested for 20 minutes. The opening parts are mainly indoors, so I expect things might change once you get outdoors.

i7 6700 stock
16 GB DDR4
1070 Stock with latest driver
SSD

1080p
TAA+FXAA
Everything enabled @ Ultra (except shadows on high)

The game runs at mostly 60 fps, but drops during certain scene transitions. It doesn't feel super smooth, even though I'm using both RTSS with a 60fps cap and FRAPS. These usually help smooth out frametimes, but it doesn't seem to be doing much here.

Top Bottom