• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 PC performance thread

MikeBison

So this seems like a pretty problematic port ey?

Ryzen 1600
GTX 1080
16GB RAM
1440p monitor

Left it at default which is 1440p and most things medium with the vsync 60 thing and upped the fov to 80

It's 60fps most of the time but drops to the 40s. Even when it is at 60 those microstutters drive me fucking crazy. The cutscenes seem the worst of it.

Anyone with the same config getting it to run 1440/60 solid? Don't mind the medium settings, game looks decent.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Make sure to enable borderless windowed gsync because full screen in this game isn't actually exclusive fullscreen and there's no way to force exclusive fullscreen. It's an idtech thing, they always run borderless.

Only an idtech 5 thing, right? I don't recall having that issue in DOOM.

Blitzhex

That's not strictly true any more if it's whitelisted to use the new presentation mode that the Windows 10 Creators Update introduced with "fullscreen optimizations".
So long as nothing is overlaying the window, it behaves like fullscreen exclusive mode; but it will seamlessly switch over to behaving like borderless mode if something does overlay the window.
As far as I can tell though, this is a whitelist that Microsoft controls and there is no way to opt into those optimizations. For example: Dishonored 2 uses it, but Dishonored: Death of the Outsider does not.

Oh cool, had no idea about that. Just tested out some of the games on the whitelist with gsync indicator turned on and gsync on full screen only and it switches back and forth seamlessly, pretty cool. Also that feature turns off if I disable w+G functionality.

TEW2 is just running plain old b/l windowed the whole time though. You can only get the gsync indicator to show up with gsync on borderless windowed. Also the change with gsync on fullscreen only and vice versa is pretty noticeable.
I hate the triple buffering (b/l w) microstutter.

Can't remember how it was in Doom, I'll test it out again. I'd also like to reword my original statement "It's an idtech thing, I think". I worded it poorly, I'm just speaking from personal experiences and conjecture.

dr_rus

Well it's good to have another confirmation of these issues I suppose.
With a 4GHz i7-6900K (8c/16t) their 1080Ti is sitting at 42% utilization at 720p minimum settings, or 59% at 1080p Ultra settings. CPU is also under-utilized.

TEW1 was rather shit at technical stuff as well so that's not really surprising. Wonder if they'll fix it though.

WarpathDC

Any i7-7700k/GTX 1080ti/ 16GB DDR5 rig experiences? Judging from the first title it's not exactly battlefront when it comes to optimization. Hoping 4k/60fps on ultra with no AA or FXAA but not holding my breath

dr_rus

It's actually only TEW1/2 D3D11 renderer thing. id Tech 5/6 use OpenGL/Vulkan renderer where there is no concept of "exclusive fullscreen" really, at least in the sense which is used by D3D games.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Is there any reason to use TAA+FXAA over just TAA?

Any i7-7700k/GTX 1080ti/ 16GB DDR5 rig experiences? Judging from the first title it's not exactly battlefront when it comes to optimization. Hoping 4k/60fps on ultra with no AA or FXAA but not holding my breath

Please allow me to quote myself from earlier in the thread. The best you could do for now is probably 1800p/60 at medium/high.

I can't seem to get GPU usage/power above ~80% no matter the settings. CPU load is fairly low too in the teens on most threads. It feels like the original TEW where the engine itself was the bottleneck. Medium settings across the board give me 60fps 99% of the time at 1440p and 1800p. Performance at 4K at similar settings hovers around 55fps. Again, no matter what, GPU usage tops out at ~80%. So, it's a matter of figuring out what resolution/settings I can get away with up to about 80% GPU and 20% CPU load. I'm not sure whether you could brute force it to a locked 4K/60fps + ultra settings with hardware twice as fast. Probably not.

7700K @ 4.6Ghz
1080ti @ 2038Mhz
32GB DDR4 3200
SSD
Win 10 x64 Pro

J_Viper

1070/6700k/16 RAM

1440p is unplayable. It's stays in the mid 30s, and doesn't budge no matter which graphic settings I choose

1080p seems to be fine though, I'm holding over 60 FPS on high. It's making me eyes bleed though.

Should I drop my monitor settings to 1080p from 1440p too?

Dropline

Neo Member
Hi folks, I wanted to share something regarding the stutters some are experiencing :

I have close to no stutters or FPS drops with the game runing at ultra (except those motion blur settings) in 1440p , with an i7 5820K@4Ghz, a 1080Ti and 16Gb of RAM.

When investigating why the game run so smoothly on my gig, I remembered that I put the GameOverlayRenderer file on my Steam install directory as "read only" in order to fix stuttering problems in Dark Souls III.

That may worth a try if you are experiencing stutters!

PS : I also unparked my cpu cores, and disabled Vsync in game (I have a Gsync monitor)

Shredderi

Just started the game. Playing at 1080p.

i7-4790k
16gb ram

Can't hold 60fps even on medium settings. It pains me a bit to do so, but I guess I'm playing with 30fps and ultra settings. The game looks nice but better looking games have ran better on my specs.

d00d3n

Anyone else having the game breaking cutscene audio desync bug? The game worked in the first interactive section, but the cutscene in the diner/bar that follows has completely desynced audio. The woman speaks when Sebastian is supposed to speak and vice versa.

I guess this may have to do with running the game in unlimited fps on a gsync display? Or maybe something related to running ultrawide/high fov? Everything is maxed, except disabled chromatic aberration, disabled camera motion blur, running in 2560*1080 resolution.

Specs: Titan X Pascal, 5820k@4.5, 16 gb RAM, windows 10
I got same problem now
No clue sadly. Maybe do a clean install of the nvidia drivers, particularly the HD audio driver?

Also try resetting any GPU overclocks.

EDIT: Maybe try messing with the frames? Go to Program Settings -> TEW2 in the NV control panel and set the maximium pre-rendered frames to 1 or something.

Going into playback devices/properties/advanced and changing the default format from 16-bit 44100 Hz (CD Quality) to 24-bit 48000 Hz (Studio Quality) fixed the issue for me.

Like this:
speakerpropq0p51.png

Eldon

That's not strictly true any more if it's whitelisted to use the new presentation mode that the Windows 10 Creators Update introduced with "fullscreen optimizations".
So long as nothing is overlaying the window, it behaves like fullscreen exclusive mode; but it will seamlessly switch over to behaving like borderless mode if something does overlay the window.
As far as I can tell though, this is a whitelist that Microsoft controls and there is no way to opt into those optimizations. For example: Dishonored 2 uses it, but Dishonored: Death of the Outsider does not.
This is the current list of games on the whitelist, but it will probably change with the Fall Creators Update (2017-10-17).

It depends how the game handles it.
Some games scale the image themselves, without changing the desktop resolution. If the desktop resolution doesn't change, then DSR won't work automatically. You can still set the desktop resolution before launching the game, or use a tool like DisplayFusion to switch monitor profiles automatically, to use DSR.
Other games - including The Evil Within 2 - set the desktop resolution in 'fullscreen' mode, even though it's still using borderless fullscreen mode. Those games work with DSR.

Does it also do that if you play it in 16:9 on the same display?
I'd expect it to be a display thing rather than an aspect ratio thing.
I don't know what happened, but I switched screen to my ultrawide while playing on the TV and BAM, no more stutters.
Playing in Borderless btw.

rtcn63

Going into playback devices/properties/advanced and changing the default format from 16-bit 44100 Hz (CD Quality) to 24-bit 48000 Hz (Studio Quality) fixed the issue for me.

Like this:

By any chance, do you own Agents of Mayhem? I remember on the steam forums that there was an audio bug that required you to set the audio to CD/DVD quality.

Bl@de

Xeon 1230 (with 16GB of slow DDR3-1600 RAM)
1080 Ti (@1900Mhz)

Settings: Ultra (except motion blur and CA off), 1440p, FOV 87

Outside: 60-75fps (averages around high 60s)
Inside: 80-90fps

Lowest drops I've encountered are around 55fps.

GPU usage at 60%. CPU at 40%. Some room for improvement but no bugs or problems so far. Great controls on Mouse&Keyboard. Fantastic game.

d00d3n

By any chance, do you own Agents of Mayhem? I remember on the steam forums that there was an audio bug that required you to set the audio to CD/DVD quality.

No, I don't seem to have it. Will try and remember to reverse this if I have audio issues in the future!

Paragon

TEW1 was rather shit at technical stuff as well so that's not really surprising. Wonder if they'll fix it though.
TEW1 was largely fixed with a patch 2 months after release - provided that your CPU is fast enough to handle id Tech 5.
It mostly ran on two threads at launch, causing low GPU-utilization. It now scales well to a large number of threads since that patch - to at least 8c/16t CPUs.
Hopefully they will be able to fix whatever is causing the low CPU and GPU utilization with TEW2 - though games shouldn't ship in this state.

Ah, nice catch. I always keep my audio devices at 24/48 now, due to a number of games having issues with other sample rates.
It should only be the sample rate which matters though. Dolby Atmos sets the device to 16/48 (no idea why it's only 16-bit) and that worked without any problems too.

Josman

Does the game allow simultaneous Xinput and KB&M commands? want to configure my Steam controller for mouse gyro aiming while preserving the rest as Xinputs.

Teggy

Ultra preset, 1440p, i7-6700, GTX 1080, gsync

I only booted it and played a bit if the intro. It was averaging around 55fps.

kodecraft

It's easy to test if the game is running b/l windowed. Turn on any program that has an always on top function and it will be on top of your game or change your windows volume using media keys and it will show the windows 10 overlay on top of your game etc.

In actual exclusive fullscreen nothing can overlay on top of your game, only injected stuff.

Yep I've noticed this.

Paragon

Does the game allow simultaneous Xinput and KB&M commands? want to configure my Steam controller for mouse gyro aiming while preserving the rest as Xinputs.
I did a quick test with my DualShock 4 rather than a Steam Controller, and it did seem to work.
However it also seemed like the gyro aiming (as a mouse) was prone to stuttering, while the right analog stick, or holding LT and using an actual mouse was smooth.

Pjsprojects

FX8350,R9-290x,16gb ram

32 to 41fps on ultrawide 2560x1080 ultra/high. Even with everything on low I only get 45fps so its a 30fps game maxed for me but is super smooth with fov at 70.

So I have a gtx 970, i5 4690k @ 4.4 GHz, 8GB ram on a 1440p Gsync monitor. What are my settings gonna look like on PC if I decide to buy it?

TEW1 was largely fixed with a patch 2 months after release - provided that your CPU is fast enough to handle id Tech 5.
It mostly ran on two threads at launch, causing low GPU-utilization. It now scales well to a large number of threads since that patch - to at least 8c/16t CPUs.
Hopefully they will be able to fix whatever is causing the low CPU and GPU utilization with TEW2 - though games shouldn't ship in this state.

TEW 1 still won't run 60 fps for me unless I have RTSS display on screen. Otherwise I get judder city despite the game being locked at 60 fps.

Teggy

Has anyone tested borderless vs. full screen? Realized I was running borderless and won’t be by my pc for a while.

Aikidoka

So I got a i7-5820K and a GTX 1080 with a 3440x1440 monitor. I tried setting most of everything to low and still kept getting drops to like 10 fps (RTSS set to 30). Not to mention the stuttering music. I will probably just refund this.

Enclose

So I got a i7-5820K and a GTX 1080 with a 3440x1440 monitor. I tried setting most of everything to low and still kept getting drops to like 10 fps (RTSS set to 30). Not to mention the stuttering music. I will probably just refund this.

There is definitely something wrong on ur end.

Josman

I did a quick test with my DualShock 4 rather than a Steam Controller, and it did seem to work.
However it also seemed like the gyro aiming (as a mouse) was prone to stuttering, while the right analog stick, or holding LT and using an actual mouse was smooth.

Thank you, I'll report on my end with a Steam Controller, 4670k and 1070

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Okay, so I'm getting these visible lines in the shape of tiles/boxes overlaying things like the projector when viewing a slide, or even when intro menu elements pop up, like when they explain how to save. They are also on the walls. They are not full lines, sometimes they are disjointed a bit, but they form a grid basically. Anyone have this and how to fix it?

burgerdog

Game runs like shit on my 970/4690k/16gb

I've tried putting everything on low and i'm still getting fluctuating 30-50fps

ffs

970/3750k/16gb

Runs at 60 in chapter 1-3 but feels like nothing like it. Capped it at 30 and never dips below 30, just going to run with that.

dsk1210

970/3750k/16gb

Runs at 60 in chapter 1-3 but feels like nothing like it. Capped it at 30 and never dips below 30, just going to run with that.

Don't use the nvidia control panels v-sync, use let 3dapplication decide and make sure to rivatuner RTSS off.

0utlaw

Neo Member
i also get about 80% gpu usage and the occasional stutter
but also blurry text on some menus but not on all of them

here´s what i mean:

any idea how i fix this?

i also get about 80% gpu usage and the occasional stutter
but also blurry text on some menus but not on all of them

here´s what i mean:

any idea how i fix this?

Are you down sampling? I get blurry text like that when I try to down sample using DSR for games in borderless window. Based on the conversation earlier in the thread I'm not clear if the game even has exclusive full screen.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
That's good to hear. I am playing on ultra too, and this thread so far had led me to believe I would be having to play on medium with a 970 but so far that doesn't seem to be the case...

To be fair you're OK with 40-60 when most of us want rock solid 60, which seems impossible with a GTX 970.

Truant

Got to chapter 3. The game runs like shit if you're using 'Display' vsync in the options menu. It runs very well if I set it to 60 fps.

Paragon

Okay, so I'm getting these visible lines in the shape of tiles/boxes overlaying things like the projector when viewing a slide, or even when intro menu elements pop up, like when they explain how to save. They are also on the walls. They are not full lines, sometimes they are disjointed a bit, but they form a grid basically. Anyone have this and how to fix it?
Are you forcing Anisotropic filtering in the video driver? id Tech 5 (derived) games don't like that.
Make sure it is set to Application Controlled in the game's profile.

0utlaw

Neo Member
Are you down sampling? I get blurry text like that when I try to down sample using DSR for games in borderless window. Based on the conversation earlier in the thread I'm not clear if the game even has exclusive full screen.

i thought so too first but no , very weird

Aikidoka

Just went ahead and started using Ultra settings (3440x1440) with 30 fps. I have the Vsync turned on and I tired out triple buffering with the control panel. GPU and CPU usage never go above 50% (about 33% average). Still have persistent stuttering in cutscenes though.
Also some textures look pretty bad (like books), so maybe it's having trouble loading things in.

edit:
Also is it my imagination or does crouching make the hallways stretch?

Top Bottom