• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 PC performance thread

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You need a 1080 ti to get 60fps at 1440p?
I was thinking of buying the game today, but I'm very disapointed in seeing this performance. Didn't they move to Unreal Engine 4? Or are they still using the TEW 1 engine?

UE4 experience was listed as a requirement in job postings, but that was simply because familiarity with the engine was chosen as the next best thing to experience with id Tech 5/6, which people outside of the Zenimax family are unlikely to have.

Gitaroo

Can I get stable 30 FPS at 1440p with my GTX 970? If I have to settle for 1080p, I might as well get the PS4 version and hope for a delayed pro patch honestly.

Pc version easily, have a 970 also. We don't even know what setting consoles version represents compare to pc. Pro patch maybe just higer setting but same frame rate like prey and who knows when it will come which it super lame. I am actually playing the game in 1920x960 in 18:9. The expended view is very nice.

What are you using to measure FPS?

Also when I first was like wow I figured it out I had disabled AA, but then I re-enabled and nothing changed except the less jaggies here and there.

Edit: Borderless is huge I think.

Borderless helps with performance? How do you boot borderless?

how does RTSS or Nvidia half refresh work? i'm using the ingame 30fps option with a 970 at max settings

Set the in game VSync to disable. Download MSI After Burner, it comes with RTSS, install and run. Set the frame rate limit in RTSS to 60 or 30 depending. Make sure your monitor refresh is set at 60 as well. If you want to try the NVidia solution, open NVIDIA control panel, Mange 3D settings and at the bottom of the list is Vertical Sync. Set it to Adaptive(half Refresh)

I'm not sure how they differ in how they work, I just know RTSS has always been a better experience.

scitek

I've found in this game (and many others), that using an in-game 30fps cap gives me tons of input lag. I get much better results by setting in-game to 60fps, then using RTSS to cap it at 30. Just something to try.

JaseC

I've found in this game (and many others), that using an in-game 30fps cap gives me tons of input lag. I get much better results by setting in-game to 60fps, then using RTSS to cap it at 30. Just something to try.

Yeah, that's actually very common, which is why "Cap the framerate/potentially improve frametimes" is in all of my PC performance thread OPs.

wazoo

It's bizarre how the first TEW game performs better than the second one (for me - on my PC). You'd think the dev learned the technical mistakes from the first game and improved/optimized for the second game.

Or maybe the second one is more demanding depending on the settings you choose ?

tinnyskillz

Neo Member
For me the game is playable, but i do have some issues.

1. Nvdia control panel settings doesn't appear to be working.

2. Nvidia inspector, and radeon pro also doesn't appear to work, or do anything. In fact, Rivatuner is the only program that's working for me in this game.

3.I have no screen tearing at all when i turn vsync off (and uncapped) everywhere (in game, Nvidia control panel, and radeon pro). Happy to not have any tearing, but it's strange. I'm playing on a plasma tv, no gsync.

4. Gpu usage goes no higher than 85%, and cpu usage no higher than 48% (i think).

5. Microstutter, not often, but i go into more detail about it below.

When i play uncapped for instance. 1080p ultra settings, my frames surprisingly often hovers around 40-45 frames. I've seen it go no lower than 37 frames. When i use the in game half display vsync, with rivatuner @ 30.My frames sometimes go down to 29, and rarely 28 frames (causing the micro stutter). Even if i use slightly lower settings.Why does this happen? Framepacing is pretty consistent, but there are times it fluctuates.

Also, is it ok to play in borderless window (which forces vsync and triple buffring), with the in game vsync on? Isn't that 2 vsync's, causes more latency? Which combination is best to use with rivatuner limited to 30? I know some people recommend nvidia inspector but it doesn't work for me in this game for me.

Thanks

oh, almost forgot my specs :)

FX 6300 oc @ 4.4 GHz (horrible, i know)
8gb DDR3 ram @ 1600MHz
bios modded GTX 970 oc 1468 core, 3953 memory

KainXVIII

Or maybe the second one is more demanding depending on the settings you choose ?
Second TEW don't even looks that good, no matter which settings.

ai-imgur-com_vk89loi-jpg.133677

dlauv

I set it to borderless, ultra, 60fps, using 3770k and 970, and got 40 fps average before installing the new driver, which boosted it a bit.

I could set it to high rather than ultra and get better performance.

Aikidoka

No, the second one is broken. You barely save any frames by lowering the visual settings. Plus the game doesn't use 100% of anyones system.

yeah, regardless of Ultra or low, it still used only 30% of my gpu. I don't get it. There are also times where gpu usage drops to 0%

CryptiK

Second TEW don't even looks that good, no matter which settings.

Did you seriously take a screenshot of the corner of the map looking into out of bounds as evidence that it doesnt look that good? Are for real right now? This looks like its from the beginning if you run the wrong way.

KainXVIII

Did you seriously take a screenshot of the corner of the map looking into out of bounds as evidence that it doesnt look that good? Are for real right now? This looks like its from the beginning if you run the wrong way.
There are many examples, this is just one of them.

CryptiK

There are many examples, this is just one of them.
I thought for sure you may have been joking. But going out of your way to go to the back of the map(the opposite way the game tells you, you need to go) to get a screenshot of the out of bounds area just wow. Game looks fantastic most of the time and the atmosphere makes it even better

Uhh it seems that the evil within 2 brigthness setting now takes full control of my monitor gamma setting, what the hell? Anyone else have this?

nkarafo

Yeah, this game is a mess. For me it's even worse than the first game. At least i managed to stabilize the first one at 30fps. This one has micro-stutters and juddering even at that frame rate. And it's the worst kind, the one that RTSS and even it's own counter in the options don't pick up. As far as these utilities go, the game runs at stable 30 fps but the judder is obvious.

My system is capable enough and should be able to run this "OK" looking game at 60fps easily at high-ish settings (i5 CPU, 1060 6GB). But even if a accept to compromise at 30fps, knowing it's a bad port, i still can't get a stable performance.

The best combination i used is RTSS locked at 30, Vsync enabled in the game menu (30fps option, disabled from Nvidia panel) and borderless. Oh and playing the game on a SSD. Of all the combinations this one has the lowest amount of judder but there's still plenty considering the compromises and available headroom (CPU/GPU usage hovering between 40-60% and a very fast medium to load from).

All in all, this gets into my worst PC ports list along with GTA4 and Sega Rally Revo.

Have the devs mentioned at all that they're working on a patch for this? Literally stopped at Chapter 2 for a patch. Such a shitty feeling for a game I've been hyped to play all year.

Yeah, this game is a mess. For me it's even worse than the first game. At least i managed to stabilize the first one at 30fps. This one has micro-stutters and juddering even at that frame rate. And it's the worst kind, the one that RTSS and even it's own counter in the options don't pick up. As far as these utilities go, the game runs at stable 30 fps but the judder is obvious.

My system is capable enough and should be able to run this "OK" looking game at 60fps easily at high-ish settings (i5 CPU, 1060 6GB). But even if a accept to compromise at 30fps, knowing it's a bad port, i still can't get a stable performance.

The best combination i used is RTSS locked at 30, Vsync enabled in the game menu (30fps option, disabled from Nvidia panel) and borderless. Oh and playing the game on a SSD. Of all the combinations this one has the lowest amount of judder but there's still plenty considering the compromises and available headroom (CPU/GPU usage hovering between 40-60% and a very fast medium to load from).

All in all, this gets into my worst PC ports list along with GTA4 and Sega Rally Revo.

There is some weird shit going on. I will get super smooth 60fps and then a stuttering mess. Come back to the same area and it's super smooth again. There is no rhyme or reason to the stutter.

Using RTSS and in game at 30fps seems an odd choice though. I would set in game at 60 and RTSS at 30, but from my experience disabling VSync all together is the move. No tearing.

Md Ray

Even with VSync disabled, the game's locked to 60fps for me, no tearing. -_-
Anyone have this issue?

Specs: 3rd gen i5/GTX 970/12GB RAM. Installed on HDD.

Anyways, I changed the refresh rate to 50Hz, and now running the game at 1080p (Fullscreen) locked 50fps (since the game has trouble hitting consistent 60fps even around Med settings), with minor dips. Still looks as smooth as 60fps, after all, it's only 3-4ms difference between 60fps and 50fps.

JaseC

Have the devs mentioned at all that they're working on a patch for this? Literally stopped at Chapter 2 for a patch. Such a shitty feeling for a game I've been hyped to play all year.

The tg_test branch has a newer build. It hasn't been touched in a week-and-a-half, but I imagine that's just because people went on break. I'm sure there'll be more activity in the near future.

MaLDo

People with stuttering even when framerate is over 60 fps (either framepacing issues or small pauses when loading new areas) and a nvidia gpu can try this

Create a new custom resolution at 50 hz no higher than 1080p (1920x1079 for example)

01crqdz.jpg

Use this config in the game profile

and this one in the game options menu. Important use fullscreen (no borderless), 60 FPS limit ingame and the 50hz custom resolution. Very important, disable FRAPS, disable RTSS (or game profile if yours works this way instead of general use) and avoid that Process Lasso acts with the game.

This game has no exclusive fullscreen mode, but fullscreen mode is not the same than borderless. Borderless will use desktop resolution and refreshrate, but fullscreen can use different ones. In this mode, the game will change your desktop resolution/refreshrate just before launching and restore it after closing.

2560*1080 @ 75hz, it 6700k @ 4.6, GTX 1080

Buttersmooth @ 75fps, maxed out

I'm not using in game vsync, but Fast Sync and Framerate cap @ 74.6 using nvidia profile inspector.

Never had a single issue.

nkarafo

Tried the game on Windows 10 (dual boot) using an older Nvidia driver (385.69) and it looks like the stutters are reduced by a lot using the same settings. It's still not perfect but it's good enough. I don't know if it's because of Windows 10 or the drivers.

SOLDIER

About to fire this up soon, GTX 970 here.

Any tips on which settings I should lower on account of them being the biggest resource hog?

This game has no exclusive fullscreen mode, but fullscreen mode is not the same than borderless. Borderless will use desktop resolution and refreshrate, but fullscreen can use different ones. In this mode, the game will change your desktop resolution/refreshrate just before launching and restore it after closing.

Not true at all.

MaLDo

Not true at all.

It's true. The game could downsample but at the end will show as output the desktop resolution without the hability to modify the refreshrate. You can try to alt+tab out of the game and your desktop will be unchanged. Then try to downsample in full screen mode and you will see the desktop at a different resolution.

You are arguing against the main feature of borderless mode.

GrazGamer

It's true. The game could downsample but at the end will show as output the desktop resolution without the hability to modify the refreshrate. You can try to alt+tab out of the game and your desktop will be unchanged. Then try to downsample in full screen mode and you will see the desktop at a different resolution.

Can vouch for this. I am running 3200x1800 borderless but it's still a 4K window. Without display scaling set it shows it as 4K and runs the game with black borders.

dr_rus

Technically this depends on how a borderless window is setup. You can have a borderless window which will be bigger than the display resolution with 1:1 pixel mapping, and in fact this is how most borderless modes are setup usually, they don't have built-in ability to downscale to display resolution. You can also have a borderless window which will downscale the rendering res into the display size and give you some AA because of this. It should be generally possible to couple both with a desktop resolution change so if you request a res which is different from your desktop the game would set it and then be able to render in borderless mode with a resolution higher than that which the game has just set for the output display.

MaLDo

Technically this depends on how a borderless window is setup. You can have a borderless window which will be bigger than the display resolution with 1:1 pixel mapping, and in fact this is how most borderless modes are setup usually, they don't have built-in ability to downscale to display resolution. You can also have a borderless window which will downscale the rendering res into the display size and give you some AA because of this. It should be generally possible to couple both with a desktop resolution change so if you request a res which is different from your desktop the game would set it and then be able to render in borderless mode with a resolution higher than that which the game has just set for the output display.

That's exactly what the game does in Fullscreen mode and that's why I've described exactly that before.

In this game:

Borderless -> a borderless window into your desktop resolution/refreshrate
Fullscreen -> a borderless window in a modified desktop resolution/refreshrate

Is pretty obvious using a downsampled resolution and alt+tabbing out of the game.

Moz

No real problems for me, playing in ultra at 1440p at a rock solid 60fps on a 1080ti. Bit of stuttering when it loads new content. I suspect I could achieve higher than 60 but I'm currently playing on my TV rather than my 144hz screen, I'll give it a go tonight.

No real problems for me, playing in ultra at 1440p at a rock solid 60fps on a 1080ti. Bit of stuttering when it loads new content. I suspect I could achieve higher than 60 but I'm currently playing on my TV rather than my 144hz screen, I'll give it a go tonight.

You have the best gpu in the market and is achieving 60fps on only 1440p.

MaLDo

That bit of stuttering is a real problem for some people and that's why I suggested using a 50hz resolution and nvidia framerate limiter. Those stutters disappear.

I have zero stuttering on a 970 even though my FPS can go down to 45-50 in the bigger areas, but I am using G-Sync. Is it possible the stutters people have are disk access related because I am also running it off an SSD.

EmryX

Neo Member
For me i have a lot of performances issues :/

I have a GTX 980 and 16Go of RAM @ 2560x1440. The game don't run quite well.
Framerate is not constant at all and i can't hit 60fps. I usually run around 35 - 45FPS.

And when there is a lot of monsters i'm @ 28-30FPS, and when i aim with guns with all the depth of field effect i can drop to 22FPS-25 :/

Hoping for a quick patch :/

Finally found some settings that make sense for playing the PC version with a Steam Controller for myself. All settings ultra, 30 fps cap, right stick set to joystick camera (which weirdly reset the click action), 90 FOV, 35/50 sensitivity for Y/X and way less deadzone from the Steam Controller settings.

Runs 30 stable, 60 would be nice though. Having some stuttering issues though.

I wonder if moving this to an SSD would help with some of the texture streaming issues.

For me i have a lot of performances issues :/

I have a GTX 980 and 16Go of RAM @ 2560x1440. The game don't run quite well.
Framerate is not constant at all and i can't hit 60fps. I usually run around 35 - 45FPS.

And when there is a lot of monsters i'm @ 28-30FPS, and when i aim with guns with all the depth of field effect i can drop to 22FPS-25 :/

Hoping for a quick patch :/

What happens when you run it at 1080p?

Top Bottom