• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 (PC/XB1/PS4, Beth/Tango, Mikami Exec Pr) E3 trailer. Out October 13

Sebastian's character model resembles Anson Mount more than it did in the first game, even. I'd be shocked if they didn't bring him back.

3 years since the events of the first game.

Aah...thanks for that snippet of info

I still think his look in the CG trailer's off...like he's a different character entirely. However, the in-game model may more closely resemble TEW1's Seb...some more gameplay footage should help me determine that

This is already one of my favorite game screenshots ever ...especially without any context. This game looks way crazier than the first, and TEW had a pretty decent starting point as far as crazy is concerned.

It is indeed a cool screenshot :p

The crazier the game is, the better

Hell yeah. This year's off to a strong start, so let's hope for big things tomorrow and Tuesday. My rankings aren't too dissimilar.

1. DB FighterZ
2. TEW2
3. Weeb Souls/Code Vein

Yeah, I'm pretty into Code Vein too, went and put the Amazon pre-order in when CAG RT'd the link. Was glad to see more gameplay.

LaNaranja

This game looks like everything I wanted Resident Evil 7 to be. Hell, the trailer pretty much explicitly says "this is the real RE7."

Vz0FnQi.png

As much as I loved RE4-6 they were never able to balance horror with the action as well as The Evil Within did. It seems like Tango are doubling down on both the horror and the action in this one which is fantastic.

Because it looks good and gives the game unique feeling. I've tried to play it without it but it isn't the same.

Yup. Black bars 4 lyfe

There's so much about the environment and certain scenes that frame so perfectly with letter boxing, regardless of player control. I get people who just want their screen real estate and FOV, but I really appreciate what they were going for.

It's why I'm into A Way Out's split screen approach, changing frame sizes throughout, and being the same online as it is local.

If they drop it, whatever, but I had my reasons for liking it. I kept them on even after they patched in the option to disable it.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Oh wow, so reading the PR, this sounds semi-open world. You're in a STEM city called Union and you can explore it freely. It's a mix of claustrophobic interiors like much of the first game, and more open/nonlinear sandboxes. Resource management is still key.

The game was at its best when it had a non-linear level design. More of Chapter 3 is what I want. If the semi-open world can give me more that, then by all means.

From the PR facts sheet:

From mastermind Shinji Mikami and the talented team at Tango Gameworks, The Evil Within 2 takes the acclaimed franchise to a new level with its unique blend of psychological thrills and true survival horror.You are Detective Sebastian Castellanos and at your lowest point. But when given a chance to save your daughter, you must enter a world filled with nightmares and discover the dark origins of a once-idyllic town to bring her back.Horrifying threats emerge from every corner as the world twists and warps around you. Will you face adversity head on with weapons and traps, or sneak through the shadows to survive?

STORY:
Detective Sebastian Castellanos has lost everything, including his daughter, Lily. To save her, he is forced to partner with Mobius, the shadowy organization responsible for the destruction of Sebastian’s former life. Sebastian must descend into one of their terrible creations, the disturbing world of Union. Horrifying threats emerge from every corner, and he must rely on his wits to survive. For his last chance at redemption, the only way out is in.

STORY OF REDEMPTION. Sebastian must descend into the nightmare to win back his life and family.

DISCOVER HORRIFYING DOMAINS. Explore as far or quickly as you dare through a world where nothing is quite what it seems, though be sure to prepare wisely.

CHOOSE HOW TO SURVIVE. Attack from the shadows with the crossbow, run like hell, or go in guns blazing with very limited ammo.

FACE DISTRUBING ENEMIES. Survive encounters with sadistic enemies and meet characters who may lead – or mislead – you on your path to redemption.

VISCERAL HORROR AND SUSPENSE. Enter a twisted world filled with anxiety-inducing thrills and disturbing horrors around every corner.

Lernaean

Banned
The game was at its best when it had a non-linear level design. More of Chapter 3 is what I want. If the semi-open world can give me more that, then by all means.

Agreed. If it's not some bloated open world, but more like explorable areas like ch3, it will be great.

From what the fact sheet says, I get a striking feeling Ruvik might not be the focus here and instead on a failed experiment Mobious needs to control. I could see them planning a third game with Ruvik if he indeed isn't in this one.

so1337

There's so much about the environment and certain scenes that frame so perfectly with letter boxing, regardless of player control. I get people who just want their screen real estate and FOV, but I really appreciate what they were going for.

It's why I'm into A Way Out's split screen approach, changing frame sizes throughout, and being the same online as it is local.

If they drop it, whatever, but I had my reasons for liking it. I kept them on even after they patched in the option to disable it.
The reason why I turned it off as soon as I could was this: https://youtu.be/OkQr2IsHbO0?t=127

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
This game looks like everything I wanted Resident Evil 7 to be. Hell, the trailer pretty much explicitly says "this is the real RE7."

Fucking lol. If this game is a tenth as good as RE7, it'll be one of the best horror games in years. This is my most hyped game right now, and it'll be lucky to be half as good as RE7.

The semi-open world makes me feel like:

Doghouse-in-Silent-Hill-silent-hill-33376918-500-400.jpg

...and if they can combine that with how the open area villages felt, almost like zoning? Which then leads to interiors with more linear pushes. Yeah, I can get with that for sure.

Morue

Never finished the first game (nor played the DLC) but I'll pick this one, sure looks cool.

Can someone explain how
Mobius and Sebastian's story (fire, wife, daughter) are connected ?

It's like somebody forgot to turn off their Spotify playlist when they made that trailer. What happened to good ol' atmospheric music in trailers?

I won't. Please, just a short summary will do...

1. House fire
2. Daughter presumed dead -- a body was buried
3. Wife reveals later to Seb that she doesn't think the fire was an accident
4. Wife goes missing, reveals she was working on a private investigation into this the whole time
5. Seb goes looking for her
6. Mobius decides to axe Seb for getting too close
7. Revealed that Myra is now working for Mobius

Morue

1. House fire
2. Daughter presumed dead -- a body was buried
3. Wife reveals later to Seb that she doesn't think the fire was an accident
4. Wife goes missing, reveals she was working on a private investigation into this the whole time
5. Seb goes looking for her
6. Mobius decides to axe Seb for getting too close
7. Revealed that Myra is now working for Mobius

Thank you ^^

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Fucking lol. Resident evil7 was butts and you're butts.

One of the best reviewed games in the series was ass? You might have not liked it, but don't pretend it's ass. Shit I don't like The Last Of Us and I don't go around calling it shit. You sound like a 10 year old, who only owns an Xbox.

You guys know what letterboxing is right? It's leftover space from transferring widescreen content onto a standard format television. It's basically obsolete today with everyone using widescreen televisions/monitors. Wanting the black bars is basically the same as wanting a lower frame rate for a more "cinematic feel."

Now that's how you reveal a game.

Goddamn am I excited. I also appreciate Bethesda not revealing games years in advance. Reveal - launch a few months later. It's how everyone should be doing things.

-MD-

I love that we only have to wait 4 months, the first game took 18 months from announcement to release.

One of the best reviewed games in the series was ass? You might have not liked it, but don't pretend it's ass. Shit I don't like The Last Of Us and I don't go around calling it shit. You sound like a 10 year old, who only owns an Xbox.

I was poking fun at you. Also reviews don't matter. Game was 🍑

chrono01

But when given a chance to save your daughter, you must enter a world filled with nightmares and discover the dark origins of a once-idyllic town to bring her back.Horrifying threats emerge from every corner as the world twists and warps around you.

This sounds so much like the original Silent Hill, and I couldn't be happier.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I was poking fun at you. Also reviews don't matter. Game was ��

According to your Xbox Live profile you didn't even play RE7. You play RE5 and RE6 and that's it. I platinumed RE7. It's in my profile. Back your shit up, or shut up. Hell you didn't even play The Evil Within apparently.

Now that's how you reveal a game.

Goddamn am I excited. I also appreciate Bethesda not revealing games years in advance. Reveal - launch a few months later. It's how everyone should be doing things.

I love that we only have to wait 4 months, the first game took 18 months from announcement to release.

Yup, that's how you do it. Don't mind games announced super early in advance but it's certainly refreshing when you get one right around the corner. Curious as to how standalone TEW2 will be. Played a bit of the first game but had performance issues so I called it quits. Got new specs since then so definitely going back to it after watching this new trailer.

Okay but really, they announced wolf was on idtech 6 and Dishonored is clearly on Void (idtech 5) still. They should clarify if this is unreal, idtech, or Cry.

According to your Xbox Live profile you didn't even play RE7. You play RE5 and RE6 and that's it. I platinumed RE7. It's in my profile. Back your shit up, or shut up. Hell you didn't even play The Evil Within apparently.

Uh you realize it's possible to own multiple consoles right? I played both on steam. Did I just accidentally post on gamefaqs.

myco666

Fucking lol. If this game is a tenth as good as RE7, it'll be one of the best horror games in years. This is my most hyped game right now, and it'll be lucky to be half as good as RE7.

Being better than RE7 isn't that hard tbh.

You guys know what letterboxing is right? It's leftover space from transferring widescreen content onto a standard format television. It's basically obsolete today with everyone using widescreen televisions/monitors. Wanting the black bars is basically the same as wanting a lower frame rate for a more "cinematic feel."

Not even close to same.

Hazaku

Can't wait. I need to grab the season pass for TEW and play through the DLC over the semester break though.

Thanks! I actually looked up the name as soon as I saw your post. 👀 Watched the video as well. She seems to have a real knack for this sort of thing. I get the impression that the trailer was directed by someone with a real passion for art. It could definitely be her leading the way.

She also has a cool urbex blog - http://www.tomboy-urbex.com/

Top Bottom