• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 - Shinji Mikami & John Johanas on the sequels focus & direction

Kazuhira

Totally jumping to the highest difficulty available this time.
I regret listening to the advice of skipping the hardest mode in RE7 for the first playthrough,i've missed an experience that can only be found when going blind for the first time(especially in horror games).

Gurish

So I guess it's running on a modified IdTech5 right?

If they didn't mention the engine this far than that's the only conclusion.

Wasn't a fan of the get game but always felt it had the assassin creed 2 potential where a few design choices could make the game become a great game. Seems they're approaching it the right way but will probably wait on reviews and the general reception before jumping in. They need to fix boxes and the letterbox which they apparently did for the original game but had finished the game prior to any updates.

On PC you can take away the black bars.

I sort of like the black bars but honestly... Almost feels like a different game.

Not as good as full fov control of course.

You can turn off the black bars on console as well. But yeah the trap placements and environment/enemy layouts feel like they were designed functionally and aesthetically around the black bars so I prefer to play with them on.

Fisty

You can turn off the black bars on console as well. But yeah the trap placements and environment/enemy layouts feel like they were designed functionally and aesthetically around the black bars so I prefer to play with them on.

I remember, on consoles at least, the placement of the black bars was just perfect enough to make throwing objects a completely blind affair. You had to go with feel on where the actual reticle ended up because it was obscured

CheckMate

The first game my personal GOTY and this just sounds too good for me.

I would've preordered If I knew how stable the PC version.

I remember, on consoles at least, the placement of the black bars was just perfect enough to make throwing objects a completely blind affair. You had to go with feel on where the actual reticle ended up because it was obscured

I don't recall that. The only reticle issue I'm aware of is due to the aiming FOV, when using the unupgraded crossbow most of its aim trajectory is obscured by the bow itself. But I def don't recall any issues with throwing objects.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I loved Evil Within but its very flawed game, but this one has the potential of becoming something special. same way how Uncharted 2 improved up on the first game.

Dude, they are hitting all the right notes for me. Every complaint I had about the original it seems like they're addressing. Even broad thematic ones I thought would never change.

We'll see how it's executed but, for now, I'm very hopeful.

I'm kind of puzzled on the game. I played half way through the first as i couldn't really stomach the controls and the camera position.

If they don't change that for the sequel i'm not going to give this one a try...

Semajer

The first game greatly disappointed me, and I thought it was fairly shit after the village area near the start. The Evil Within 2 was a heavy discount purchase for me, but this sounds promising. If they can fix the issues I had with the first game I might consider getting this sooner.

UrbanRats

On PC you can take away the black bars.

I sort of like the black bars but honestly... Almost feels like a different game.

Not as good as full fov control of course.

On PC you also have plenty of FOV control, with Flawless Widescreen (an external program).
I played it without black bars and the FOV of a normal game.

Vibranium

Banned
I can't wait, I hope this is a big progression for the series.

I'm still sad that none of the original actors are returning.

I'll miss Jackie Earle Haley as Ruvik a lot, but everyone else shouldn't be too hard to get used to as far as new actors go.

Lucent

Not really a fan of all the "play the game your own way" talk in interviews since one of my favorite aspects of TEW was how focused it was.

I've beaten TEW on Akuma a few times in the past so I think I'll ignore the warnings and start it up on Nightmare. :)

Why would you do Akumu more than once? I only started it once and I currently sit at more than halfway through the game. So time consuming figuring out the best way to not get hit.

OniBaka

1) making both stealth and action playstyles viable in every encounter. I'm hoping this won't homegenize the encounters into sort of samey combat bowls with lame enemy patrol routes rather than the string of super creative, but more restrictive, encounters of the first game, especially if a lot of the gameplay takes place in more multipurpose hub areas.

This is also my concern

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

BBboy20

tfw TEW2 director is a JoJo.
sAfHXkt.gif

I'm really baffled by the lack of media for this game. Describing it in interviews is fine and all, but this really needs an extended gameplay demo. Really, it needed it at reveal.

No offense to Dusk Golem (seriously I read all your threads, you're awesome), but when a forum poster has to stitch together information from different sources and add in a bit of speculation to try and get an idea of what your game is going to be like, you're doing it wrong. I wasn't a big fan of the first game but I'm interested in what they're doing with the sequel, and it's hard to tell what they're doing when the best things we have to go on are seconds long video clips.

I'll be curious to see if Akumu mode returns. I think I'd rather just have a harder resource limiting mode like Nightmare vs a 1-hit KO mode like Akumu but I'm down either way.
Still have mixed feelings of having a "hub" but hopefully they'll pull it off well.

Opto

Banned
It sounds like they took the faults with TEW 1 and fixed them, so I'm willing to give it a shot

Orb

I think it's good they emphasized a bit more to let casual audiences play. I want a challenge personally, but I appreciate accessibility (especially if this has a stronger narrative focus like they claim). The original game I hear from many was still pretty tough on casual (I can't say as I haven't played it on that difficulty personally.

I'm normally pretty good at games but Evil Within 1 was miserable in a few places for me(Biggest example being the amalgamation boss) So I'm definitely doing atleast the first playthrough of 2 on Casual.

Orb

I'd agree if SH didn't shit on this series from a great height.

Was not a fan of TEW 1, but keeping an eye on 2 and hoping to be surprised. Always on the look out for a good horror game.

I was implying Silent Hill 1 was better than 2

And, while I love Evil Within and dont agree with what you said, I cant say I wouldnt sacrifice this for Silent Hills to come back.

Sanctuary

Well, that explains why the whole story was very telegraphed and even with the DLC filling in the details, they were what you expected.

American and Male.

Where are you getting your information from?

Just the orignal article where Mikami was talking about his process in deciding who would end up being the new director of the game, and it was down to three Japanese employees, one of which was a woman who I thought helped with the original game.

Well here's one of them, but there was another that was more recent I thought, specifically about deciding who was going to be the new director since it wasn't going to be him.

https://www.polygon.com/features/2014/2/20/5425802/shinji-mikami-the-evil-within

I'm really baffled by the lack of media for this game. Describing it in interviews is fine and all, but this really needs an extended gameplay demo. Really, it needed it at reveal.

No offense to Dusk Golem (seriously I read all your threads, you're awesome), but when a forum poster has to stitch together information from different sources and add in a bit of speculation to try and get an idea of what your game is going to be like, you're doing it wrong. I wasn't a big fan of the first game but I'm interested in what they're doing with the sequel, and it's hard to tell what they're doing when the best things we have to go on are seconds long video clips.

The first game didn't really get tons of attention or push from the publisher either. It sold pretty well all things considered. I will admit, in terms of marketing, this one seems worse off. I hope I'm wrong and it goes on to sell at least 5M.

I hope they took queues from Silent Hill Downpour in terms of sidequests. That game mostly sucked but I enjoyed solving the riddles strewn about the town. I hope it's NOT like Dead Space 3 sidequests that send you down linear, poorly designed areas mowing down enemy after enemy.

I'm a bit worried about the "short" development time as well. Two years is VERY quick turnaround time these days, even for a sequel, especially for a smaller studio like Tango. I hope the quality is there.

Resonance

Just the orignal article where Mikami was talking about his process in deciding who would end up being the new director of the game, and it was down to three Japanese employees, one of which was a woman who I thought helped with the original game.

Well here's one of them, but there was another that was more recent I thought, specifically about deciding who was going to be the new director since it wasn't going to be him.

https://www.polygon.com/features/2014/2/20/5425802/shinji-mikami-the-evil-within

Hopefully Nakamura is the lead concept artist again. The art in the first evil within was fantastic. She also created Laura, which is one of my favorite monster designs in the game

The first game didn't really get tons of attention or push from the publisher either. It sold pretty well all things considered. I will admit, in terms of marketing, this one seems worse off. I hope I'm wrong and it goes on to sell at least 5M.

Do we know what the first game's LTD is? 5 million seems extremely ambitious.

J3nga

Would really love to see a gameplay demo.

Gamescom takes place from 22 to 26 August, so maybe there, generally it's odd considering they've showed boatloads of Wolfenstein II gameplay amd only bits of this when it's two short months away. I don't think they're doing good job at marketing tbh.

UrbanRats

Nobody's going to play on Casual, Mikami lol... The stigma is too strong...

I played the first one on casual, no regrets.

In hindsight, i could've done it on normal, as i was expecting it to be much more unforgiving, the game has plenty of checkpoints, so the 2nd i may start on normal.

I played the first one on casual, no regrets.

In hindsight, i could've done it on normal, as i was expecting it to be much more unforgiving, the game has plenty of checkpoints, so the 2nd i may start on normal.

I was shocked how difficult my first run on survival was and how easy it became on New Game Plus

Sayad

-Instead of dictating the way to play like the original game did (and clarifying the original game sort of had a certain style you had to play in chapter by chapter, often with limited options in what you could and couldn't do), they want players to be able to play The Evil Within 2 anyway they like. They restrained forced stealth and combat sections to instead rather have multiple options in about any scenario, allowing players to choose whether to fight, sneak, flee, or use traps/the environment to kill. There will be scenarios where certain methods will certainly be much tougher to pull off, but they designed TEW2 so all options should almost always at least be possible.

Love this, the more open areas in term of options were some of the best parts of TEW1, now start showing this instead of more horror set pieces in trailers pls.

Top Bottom