• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within - PAX East Demo Impressions

Bethesda is not publishing. Zenimax is. Bethesda is just another developer at Zenimax.

I had originally typed out Zenimax, but according to Wikipedia, the publisher is listed as Bethesda Softworks. Which is obviously not the same as Bethesda Game Studios, but I've never argued that. Just that the publisher doesn't inspire a lot of hope from me based on my experiences with the games they've published.

Mahonay

Banned
Just from watching Bethesda's Evil Within trailer loop over and over at their booth this year, I have to say the thing that really struck me was how dated the game looks.

I really never take the impressions of journalists talking about a Mikami or Kamiya game very seriously, but that coupled with a few awkward things he said in a recent interview have me a little worried about this one.

Korigama

I'm going to be honest: much of what's been presented of this game so far has looked boring to me (an impression I've never gotten from the likes of Resident Evil 1/REmake or 4, or in non-horror examples directed by Mikami, God Hand or Vanquish), so I don't find such impressions surprising. Considering that I'm a big fan of Mikami, this really disappoints me.

Gold_Loot

Yeah, the footage from a few days ago looked pretty average to me. Still curious to see how this turns out, but I'll keep expectations in check.

Never felt any sort of excitement about this game. Game design looks straight from the PS2-era. Again, this further supports the fact the most japanese studios have not adapted to HD gaming.

oti

Banned
Relax, preview demos are a strange thing and really difficult to pull off. You want to impress the press/gamers as much as possible without showing too much but don't want to bore them and find yourself amidst negative threads (like this one unfortunately) before release. Is the game bad or good? We don't know yet. I've attended preview demos myself, good ones and bad ones. Things like atmosphere are important, games can change until release.

So my advice, relax. Tomb Raider had also some pretty negative preview coverage (about actions being meaningless) and look at the end result. Being cautious is absolutely fine and necessary, just don't let a few negative preview impressions darken your day. That's all. :)

popyea

Yeah, this only makes me more curious about the game. If hype from games journalists makes me cynical, un-hype makes me sympathetic. The bit where they seem disapointed that the character doesn't react automatically to crumbling environment just seems like gameplay centric design that's characteristic of Mikami. Why is it a good thing for the game to take control away from the player unless it's to service the gameplay? Stupid cinematic moments like that aren't an indication of polish, they're just superficial attempts to immerse the player.

djshauny

Banned
It seems people forget what survival horror is and just want action crazy stuff. This is survival horror, not call of duty (judging from the previews)

I think the game looks fantastic and is what survival horror is all about.

Lifeless... so like Dead Space?

That's cray cray. Dead Space had phenomenal atmosphere. The nursery in Dead Space 2 is some of the most unsettling stuff in a game.

I won't take into account hands-on of an atmospheric horror game that was played on a show floor with lights and people talking around you.

I'm presuming that it was done in a dark enclosed booth like Alien: Isolation. At least I hope so, because once you're in there, it's dark, and only the monitors lit up. Of course, this wasn't playable, so no headphones and a chance to get intimate with the game rather than probably being shown on a big screen.

doofy102

I think one of the main questions is this: How much of the game is made up of linear set pieces like the demos we've seen? It could be that they're only there in certain bits... but because they're the most visually "exciting," or whatever, it's what we've been shown.

Game does sound like it has a mild identity crisis though, albeit that's the marketing's fault.

Famassu

I'm not sure if games like these are really that good for demoing in big conventions, though yeah, that demo does sound dull. I mean, I'm absolutely scared of playing these games myself, but even watching them from Youtube does nothing to me. It's really something you'll have to judge for yourself when you play it at home (or at least wait for impressions from people who've played it alone)

UrbanRats

23x86.jpg

Ryuuga

Banned
People are too attached to the names behind a game, sure it's enough to get you interested in the project, but see the game for what it is.

Silky

Banned
lol

The last game I liked from Mikami was God Hand. Considering how boring Vanquish was this is unsurprising.

jaaz

Sounds like these reviewers were expecting a more action-horror game than they got. I think we all know this isn't RE4, maybe they didn't? Psychological horror is not everyone's cup of tea.

Also, it takes some action-less moments to build a sense of dread and despair in these games, which is then combined with other parts of the game to make the game come together. Although maybe not the best section of the game to show in a short demo to a bunch of young game journalists...

sub_o

First is that, most previews are saying that Evil Within remind them of RE4, good action good gunplay. Second is that many seem to be expecting Amnesia than RE4, for a game from a guy who makes real good action games, it might be tough for him to make pure horror game though.

And finally, isn't Mikami the guy who rebooted the development of Resident Evil 4 several times, because he didn't like the early versions? From what became Devil May Cry, and another one where it showed Leon shooting a ghost, to the final RE4 release.

At this point of time, considering that it's still in development, or maybe just weird vertical slice for the demo, it's hard to say whether the final product would be good.

Let's hope for the best, but still keep expectations in check.

Well, it's also that the action didn't seem to excite many of the people there. I know if I had gotten a public demo of RE 4 with the awesome weapon feedback, localised body reactions, melee finishers, and interesting AI, I would be flipping my lid even if wasn't a scary game. That goes for most Mikami-led games, they should be easy to demo if the action has been great in his games.

Courage

lol

The least game I liked from Mikami was God Hand. Considering how boring Vanquish was this is unsurprising.

Agreed. I hope the section they decided to show was boring and the rest of the game is fine, but then again that doesn't make sense.

Everything else I've seen has been promising (apart from the texture work...). This just sounds like a disappointing demo. I hope.

jett

D-Member
It's what it has always looked like. Bad. People have been hyping themselves solely due to Mikami, but it has never looked good from any point of view.

Pollux

I'll still probably get this because the atmosphere looks exactly like what I've been searching for lately - but if the gameplay is as mediocre as the media is saying, well...I just hope it's better than what we're hearing.

Courage

Would they have enough time to reduce any significant technical issues? Drastic framerate drops and clipping can probably break the game.

Haha, it depends I guess. :)
I just remember the previews in podcasts about Tomb Raider being pretty bad. Same critics gave that game pretty good scores in the end.

I was never really a fan of what I was seeing with Tomb Raider, so maybe the change wasn't as apparent to me, but yeah I still have some optimism that the game will turn out well.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Looking forward to this greatly. I think I'll judge for myself when I'm playing at 1am in the morning with my headphones on, sound cranked right up and take it all in at somewhere that isn't a show :)

Well, it's also that the action didn't seem to excite many of the people there. I know if I had gotten a public demo of RE 4 with the awesome weapon feedback, localised body reactions, melee finishers, and interesting AI, I would be flipping my lid even if wasn't a scary game. That goes for most Mikami-led games, they should be easy to demo if the action has been great in his games.

But they basically showed the Evil Within version of the chainsaw guy or the Garrador fight. Dosn't seem a very inspired choice and very little to judge the overall combat.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm going to be honest: much of what's been presented of this game so far has looked boring to me (an impression I've never gotten from the likes of Resident Evil 1/REmake or 4, or in non-horror examples directed by Mikami, God Hand or Vanquish), so I don't find such impressions surprising. Considering that I'm a big fan of Mikami, this really disappoints me.
Same feeling I have as well. The E3 demo from last year looked boring too. Waiting for Gaffer impressions because there could be a lot to this game that they aren't showing.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

I actually thought RE4 looked kind of boring in videos and I definitely didn't see why it was getting rave reviews. If I were seeing it demoed for the first time, I'm not sure I'd even notice all the great things about its design. They're extremely obvious in retrospect, though.

Top Bottom