• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within - PAX East Demo Impressions

I actually thought RE4 looked kind of boring in videos and I definitely didn't see why it was getting rave reviews. If I were seeing it demoed for the first time, I'm not sure I'd even notice all the great things about its design. They're extremely obvious in retrospect, though.

Same, I was still excitd because RE and Mikami, but certainly couldn't appreciate all the small details that made the game so great.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
372.gif

This game cannot turn out bad. No, no, no, no, no.
Mikamis last game must not be bad. If it turns out to be, Japan is really dead in terms of video games.

Xater

People are too attached to the names behind a game, sure it's enough to get you interested in the project, but see the game for what it is.

Also all great artists that live long enough turn to shit at some point. It's just how things work. At this point I am not going to put too much faith behind Mikami and just take the impressions at face value. It at least didn't demo well and from all the footage we have seen it is not exactly a looker. So excitement factor for me is way down.

I still don't see how are you supposed to get a good idea on a survival horror game based on either a showbooth demo played by someone else, or a showbooth demo played by yourself with all those fancy lights on the screen, people behind you waiting to play this, lot of noise nearby and such.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I won't take into account hands-on of an atmospheric horror game that was played on a show floor with lights and people talking around you.

None of these impressions were hands-on, it someone from Bethesda playing the game.

I don't know, I shall wait and see. It sounds like a downer, but then I also don't think Vanquish or RE4 looked particularly interesting in early gameplay videos. And watching someone else play and seeing a small clip of gameplay out of context can be difficult. And then of course questions, like what difficulty is this footage on, do they have more ammo as it's a demo, or is the demo made easier (which was the case for the RE4 demo). Stuff like that.

I actually thought RE4 looked kind of boring in videos and I definitely didn't see why it was getting rave reviews. If I were seeing it demoed for the first time, I'm not sure I'd even notice all the great things about its design. They're extremely obvious in retrospect, though.

Most people liked Resident Evil 4. I'm going to assume now that this guy who none of you have ever met based on this post alone are never going to play Resident Evil 4 if you haven't played it before. I hope some of you see the point i'm trying to make.

The edits. It's early here.

People are overreacting. Just keep an eye on it, and don't rush to pre-order.

True, but when you're game is only a few months away from launch and this is your first playable demo, you want to put your best foot forward and the fact that that doesn't appear to have happened, does raise some concerns about the overall quality of the game.

I still have faith it'll be a damn good game, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at least a little bit worried after reading the various previews and Gaffer impressions.

But they basically showed the Evil Within version of the chainsaw guy or the Garrador fight. Dosn't seem a very inspired choice and very little to judge the overall combat.

Right, but all that stuff I mentioned was quite new and exciting at the time as mechanics in of themselves, whatever section of the game you show off. Doesn't seem the gameplay itself will be a draw, but then that might require hands-on to judge.

I'll play it myself to see if it's good but I always thought it was a digital only release though, but apparently it's full priced retail?

The demo wasn't playable. This game hasn't had a playable, even by press, demo yet, this one included which was played by a Bethesda representative.

Ah, my mistake. I thought it was open to everyone. Still, this was the games first live play demo and it hasn't done a very good of selling the game nor has it done a good job of showing people it's very good in general.

The last thing you ever want to hear about a game is that it's dull or boring.

There were some stealth elements that reminded me very strongly of The Last of Us (and not in a good way). In fact, it even had a very similar animation that occurs when an enemy grapples onto you.
It doesn't surprise me, after all it took the kind of talent at Naughty Dog to invent the stealth sub genre in action horror games. That type of game mechanics didn't exist until then.

Everything after the last of us is so dull and uninspired.

Dusk Golem

It doesn't surprise me, after all it took the kind of talent at Naughty Dog to invent the stealth sub genre in action horror games. That type of game mechanics didn't exist until then.

The first demo of Evil Within had the exact same stealth mechanic shown to press in March 2013, which was before the Last of Us released. I've been telling people and I'll keep saying it, Evil Within DOES look somewhat like Last of Us, but it's actually coincidental. The game started development in 2010, It was announced as Project Zwei in early 2012. The first time it was shown was March 2013. It only looks like Last of Us since Last of Us's directors admit they took a lot of inspiration from Mikami games, and people first said Last of Us looked like RE4, but now it's the Evil Within looks like Last of Us.

Re-reading, my sarcasm detector may have been off.

People are letting demo impressions sway them either way on a game? No thanks, I'll get the game for myself and see what it's all about.

BearPawB

Banned
People are letting demo impressions sway them either way on a game? No thanks, I'll get the game for myself and see what it's all about.

I will never understand this logic. "Peiple who played it says it's bad? I don't trust anyone so I will plop $60 down on this game"

Dusk Golem

I will never understand this logic. "Peiple who played it says it's bad? I don't trust anyone so I will plop $60 down on this game"

They didn't play it. I feel I am going to be repeating myself a lot in this topic. The demo was watched, not played.

Sounds like a typical viewpoint of seeing a horror game at a convention, and early footage. My hype is still high... but then again I just had a baby yesterday! I'm high on life! Still day one for me.

Reviews or second hand game impressions are meaningless, they can only give you an idea of what the expect but they can't quantify whether a game is going to be good in your eyes. This is a horror game, and I'm big fan of the genre. I will gladly spend the full MSRP without consulting someone else if I should.

Aren't horror games supposed to contain some stealth sections ? I mean, since a big time ?

sub_o

They didn't play it. I feel I am going to be repeating myself a lot in this topic. The demo was watched, not played.

It's like everyone just want to put out their opinions, regardless of what you've been saying Dusk Golem ='(

I understand your pain.

The first demo of Evil Within had the exact same stealth mechanic shown to press in March 2013, which was before the Last of Us released. I've been telling people and I'll keep saying it, Evil Within DOES look somewhat like Last of Us, but it's actually coincidental. The game started development in 2010, It was announced as Project Zwei in early 2012. The first time it was shown was March 2013. It only looks like Last of Us since Last of Us's directors admit they took a lot of inspiration from Mikami games, and people first said Last of Us looked like RE4, but now it's the Evil Within looks like Last of Us.

However, the stealth mechanic in The Last Of Us was first shown in E3 2012. It is more than likely that The Evil Within team was inspired by that demo and implemented it in their game.

Dusk Golem

It's like everyone just want to put out their opinions, regardless of what you've been saying Dusk Golem ='(

I understand your pain.

My stance is Evil Within, I am anticipating it, but as I've been saying to a friend, she and I have been betting since it's unveiling if the game will be disappointing or not and had a lot of debates. She's convinced it's going to be an action-title that isn't a horror games and tries to tell peoples it scary while it's not, with too much action and gore and ammo. I've been on the side that while I don't judge games quality until I play them, I think it'll have plenty of atmosphere and survival and horror elements, and if it's flawed its flaws will come in different areas than it being overly shoot-shoot bang-bang.

I have faith in Mikami, I haven't played a game he was involved in I have disliked on a personal level. I do hope this game itches a certain itch that most recent horror games haven't been able to itch recently. That said, I am open to it either being good or bad. And I'll of course have my impressions once I play it, to tell others what I think of it in-depth.

But until then, I've decided to follow media until after E3, then go on Media blackout. Bethesda has said Evil Within will be big for them at E3.

However, the stealth mechanic in The Last Of Us was first shown in E3 2012. It is more than likely that The Evil Within team was inspired by that demo and implemented it in their game.

Eh, are you aware that stealth mechanics in horror games exist since ages ?

I was thinking this myself. It's just as likely they took inspiration from the Forbidden Siren games as it is they took it from Last of Us.

Aruhamel

Banned

I honestly can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.

Moofers

The video this week looked amazing, IMO but then again I watched the next-gen version unlike so many people here who saw PS3/360 footage and didn't know any better.

Most of the detailed descriptions if gameplay sound fine to me. Boring and empty? We'll see. You're at a convention in a room full of people. Red Dead Revolver didn't blow me away when I saw that game for the first time under those same conditions. I like the stealth stuff. TLOU is my game of the generation. If it takes queues from that, all the better. I love that the guy has such an arsenal. RE4 is one of my favorite horror themed games ever, so if we can have that again, then that's awesome. Dead Space really evolved that formula, so maybe this can take it even further.

And now I'm hearing "old school RE" thrown around like that's a bad thing? I don't know what some peoe are expecting. We ready have Amnesia and Outlast. I'm done running helplessly from everything. I'm ready to gear up and fight the horrors with my wits AND my favorite weaponry. Let's fuckin DO this! Again, next-gen video sold me on it. I'm hyped.

Mixed Reactions to The Evil Within - IGN Conversation

The Evil Within is like old school Resident Evil and that's bad? serious?

Nothing about it looks like oldschool RE though.
So far, it's Shadows of the Damned all over again. Mikami promises survival horror, but then it's just RE4 again with a different skin. But after this terrible generation of dumbed down cinema games, it's not surprising games journalism would think that this is a horror title just because it has gore in it. And it's apparently the most important problem that a character doesn't have animations during scripted action sequences...

I mean, it looks bad, but the reasons given from the press are still dumb.

Ryuuga

Banned
The video this week looked amazing, IMO but then again I watched the next-gen version unlike so many people here who saw PS3/360 footage and didn't know any better.

Most of the detailed descriptions if gameplay sound fine to me. Boring and empty? We'll see. You're at a convention in a room full of people. Red Dead Revolver didn't blow me away when I saw that game for the first time under those same conditions. I like the stealth stuff. TLOU is my game of the generation. If it takes queues from that, all the better. I love that the guy has such an arsenal. RE4 is one of my favorite horror themed games ever, so if we can have that again, then that's awesome. Dead Space really evolved that formula, so maybe this can take it even further.

Seems you've already decided you're all in on this, so obviously any impressions that don't mesh with your own will make you rethink your position. That also seems to be the common theme in this thread. No need to make excuses for it.

And now I'm hearing "old school RE" thrown around like that's a bad thing? I don't know what some peoe are expecting. We ready have Amnesia and Outlast. I'm done running helplessly from everything. I'm ready to gear up and fight the horrors with my wits AND my favorite weaponry. Let's fuckin DO this! Again, next-gen video sold me on it. I'm hyped.

Something you're seen doing in the game ad nauseam in various footage we've seen over the past year. In fact, there was footage a couple months back that looked like it could have very well been Outlast from a 3rd person perspective.

Top Bottom