• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-The Expendables- (Stallone, Jet Li, Statham AND Lundgren)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LQX

Noisepurge said:
The awesome Atchisson Auto Assault-12 (AA12) :D

aa12.jpg
This monster is in Modern Warfare 2. I hate/fear it and love it at the same time.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
firehawk12 said:
Horrible, horrible film... with shitty direction (what's with the CLOSE UPS every other scene?) and terrible writing (someone tried to rip off Tarantino and failed).

Even the money shot action scenes were pretty boring to watch. Too bad. :(

I am the biggest Sly fan on the block, and I've been waiting 2 years for this movie. I have to agree, there were WAY too many closeups. So weird. The writing was pretty terrible and awkward (that scene with Arnold made me cringe) and, at times, completely nonsenical. While I didn't go see the movie for the story, there really is no excuse for having such a weak one. He went back for a girl he knew for 5 minutes? Really? There was also NO chemistry between the actors. None. Rambo was better at this.

That said, I still enjoyed the movie, as did my friends and seemingly most people in the theater. It's fun and has some great action sequences. Sly is just capable of a bit more in the writing and directing areas.

Acosta

The Take Out Bandit said:
You know, I actually enjoyed that aspect of the movie.

This movie and Rambo have eschewed the 80's formula of badass team inserts into war zone and is picked off one by one until only the star remains. I appreciate this because in a movie like Predator I loved all the characters, but they all had to die. :(

It's good to see everybody make it out alive.

As for Gunnar they establish him early on as a drug user and a risk; but this is where the maturity of story comes in IMO, and Barney forgives Gunnar instead of outright killing him.

How many friends do you know that are douchebags, but are still your friends?

I dunno. I may be over thinking it, but I really dig it.

Love it, I don't want to overthink the movie too much but I like your take.
me, I just like he survived because I want to see him kick asses in the sequel, the way he killed that guy in the car kicking his head was hilarious.

_Bro

Banned
commish said:
I am the biggest Sly fan on the block, and I've been waiting 2 years for this movie. I have to agree, there were WAY too many closeups. So weird. The writing was pretty terrible and awkward (that scene with Arnold made me cringe) and, at times, completely nonsenical. While I didn't go see the movie for the story, there really is no excuse for having such a weak one. He went back for a girl he knew for 5 minutes? Really? There was also NO chemistry between the actors. None. Rambo was better at this.

That said, I still enjoyed the movie, as did my friends and seemingly most people in the theater. It's fun and has some great action sequences. Sly is just capable of a bit more in the writing and directing areas.
Is being good the point? Wish I saw the movie so I could get a better understanding of what you mean but isn't this movie supposed to be cheese and camp? Maybe it just doesn't nail that but I always figured this movie would awesome in the vain of "Scully, remember when I said I would kill you last? I LIED."

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
_Bro said:
Is being good the point? Wish I saw the movie so I could get a better understanding of what you mean but isn't this movie supposed to be cheese and camp? Maybe it just doesn't nail that but I always figured this movie would awesome in the vain of "Scully, remember when I said I would kill you last? I LIED."

You just have to see it. I worship Commando - amazing movie. Expendables is no Commando but, like I said, it's still enjoyable. I understand a movie that goes for being over the top, campy, etc., and this movie fits the bill and I went into it with that mindset, but some parts are just terrible and seemed overly forced. I honestly might have been expecting a bit more in light of Rambo.

ToyMachine228 said:
The one Expendable that beats Steve Austin in a fight makes no sense. Stallone and Austin have sort of a rivalry going and the expendable that no one knows fights and kills him? OK...Bad choice there.
You clearly do not watch MMA at all. It was obvious from the initial casting that with a huge wrestling star and a huge MMA fighter, that they would ultimately be put up against each other on screen...
and that MMA would come out victorious :p

Revolutionary said:
You clearly do not watch MMA at all. It was obvious from the initial casting that with a huge wrestling star and a huge MMA fighter, that they would ultimately be put up against each other on screen...
and that MMA would come out victorious :p
Because Austin was cast as the heel.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
did any writers with experience in wrestling storylines have credit on the script? i sensed some parity between the two, but didn't make the connection at the time.

Acosta

Bleepey said:
And to think people think you are a troll!

Take pity of him, his beloved Scott Pilgrim bombed hard, Stallone and Bishoptl owned him. The only satisfaction he has now is posting about how terrible Expendable is.

Just nod and smile.

It basically was like a big 80s flick. Mediocre script, mediocre acting, lots of explosions and killings and really loud. Fun, though the so called ensemble cast was more like Sly and Statum, plus everyone else.

The one thing that really got to me though was the editing. Horrible, horrible. You could hardly tell what was going on in the fights especially the ones with Jet Li.

Hopefully there is a sequel with Schwarzenegger in a starring role after he's done being governor.

G-Fex said:

Eh?

Star studded?

Only to die hard or B-grade action flick fans. A lot of these guys haven't been in the spotlight for ages. Statham's position is questionable as he's Hollywood Al Qaida, releasing bombs in American theaters on a regular basis.

Anyhow, yeah - I'd say Rourke is the only cast member to be a "big star" by today's standards; the rest is complete MAN SERVICE. I jizzed my pants when I saw
Gary Daniels
name in the opening credits, and honestly not many folks know who he is, even fans of HK flicks.

G-Fex

Eh?

Star studded?

Only to die hard or B-grade action flick fans. A lot of these guys haven't been in the spotlight for ages. Statham's position is questionable as he's Hollywood Al Qaida, releasing bombs in American theaters on a regular basis.

Anyhow, yeah - I'd say Rourke is the only cast member to be a "big star" by today's standards; the rest is complete MAN SERVICE. I jizzed my pants when I saw
Gary Daniels
name in the opening credits, and honestly not many folks know who he is, even fans of HK flicks.

I'm sort of a fan, I have blood moon. I love that movie

:lol

I have much love for this cast; but I'm not going to mince words here.

The sequel needs some Richard Norton, Steven Segal, Mark Dacascos, and it would be awesome if Stallone could get Jackie Chan in there. <3
Oh, Richard Norton would be bad ass. Gimme some Cynthia Rothrock too. Jackie is a long shot, so they should get Yuen Bao and Sammo Hung.

PhoncipleBone said:
Oh, Richard Norton would be bad ass. Gimme some Cynthia Rothrock too. Jackie is a long shot, so they should get Yuen Bao and Sammo Hung.

Oh shit.

Bolo Yueng! Big scary bad guy remix. :D

Would be nice if Van Damme could show up; but I think he's under the impression he's a master thespian these days. :lol

Just got back from my viewing.

Let's start with my checklist going in.

All the advertised cast in the film: CHECK

Predicatable, plot designed solely to get things moving and keep them moving: CHECK

Balls-out action sequences: CHECK

Over the top violence: CHECK

So, in watching the film, from the moment Gunnar
fires his "warning" shot,
I knew this was gonna be what I expected: A testosterone filled film that allowed me to become a giddy little 80s child again.

Expendable. said:
The movie wasn't laughably bad. It was just utterly boring. The first 2/3rds was just a string of meaningless conversations.

I can see how someone who went in with a negative critical eye could say this. There were points in the film where things weren't blowing up and they attempted to illustrate some semblance of plot. If I went in hating the film, that may have irked me but there was enough action scattered throughout
(the scene outside the castle, the plane escape and the car chase)
to break things up. It was certainly not 2/3s of complete dialogue.

Action and firing fighting was great. Hand to Hand combat was ok, I had hoped to see Austin, Coulture and Li a little more showcased but for what was shown, it was very good.

Everyone is raving about
Terry Crews' shotgun
and it was indeed awesome. It was like the new version of "old painless".

I had a few gripes and the biggest one for me was, I thought
Austin's death was pretty anti-climatic, especially when they went out of their way to put him over by kicking Stallone's ass

I thought that the
Gunnar character was very interesting and should have stayed dead to give him more weight. It was a little silly that he was essentially a traitor and all was forgiven by movie's end

The relationship between
Eric Roberts' character and the General was way too close to that of Bennett and the Presidente in Commando,
but again, I expected a film with familiar road and themes being re-treaded.

All in all, for what it was and what I expected, it certainly delivered.

Movie of forever? No, but I can think of worse ways to spend 2 hours.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
heh, i didn't like this movie very much. All it's problems go without saying. the plot and the acting don't mean shit. It's about the action and i wasn't a fan. It was rather basic and all the shit that was insanely cool were cut down to the bare minimum. Thats probably what bothered me the most. They tried to jam in all sorts of random but cool small ideas and never gave any of em a chance. Especially all the shit Jason's character was doin. That dude was awesome. I kinda felt like everyone else was dragging it down he was so bad ass. He does this one move where after he throws a knife into some dude's back he runs up behinds him and pops off the wall over his shoulder. It looked so cool but it was lightning fast and they didn't really follow through so i don't even know why he did it. There are so many little moves in that like that.

also when the film goes to DVD, someone needs to gif that scene where sly is reloading at lightning speed and splice in scenes from Postal where the kids get shot.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Seeing this shit tomorrow and Pilgrim right after. 12:15 PM. My ass will be in a seat. I'm buying a large ass tub off popcorn and pigging out.

A fucking nice way to spend after working 6 days in a row. ^_^

Sean

Banned
natedog4000 said:
http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.reuters.com/sylvester-stallone-talks-expendables-sequel-reuters
Q. HAVE YOU WRITTEN A SCRIPT FOR A SEQUEL TO "THE EXPENDABLES"?

Stallone: It's plotted out in my mind's eye. I believe this group has to continue to evolve; it just can't become the same people. So how do you get new people introduced into the group, and how do you have some of the other people leaving? Those are the challenges.

I hope there's not a complete cast reboot. I feel like most of the characters weren't used to their full potential so I'd like to see them continue with the current lineup. Can get rid of Randy Couture though IMO.

It'd be pretty epic if Stallone could get Chuck Norris on board, even if it's only for a brief cameo. Just get Chuck to recite a Chuck Norris Fact or something and the internet would go fucking nuts.

YYZ

Just saw it. I'm disappointed. As much as I tried to avoid everything about this movie going in, I heard that it wasn't so hot and I have to agree. I went into this movie with fresh eyes though, haven't seen any parts of trailers or commercials and it still wasn't amazing.

A-Team is still head and shoulders above every other action movie so far this year. It had the cool factor that the Expendables had literally zero of.

Acosta

Sean said:
I hope there's not a complete cast reboot. I feel like most of the characters weren't used to their full potential so I'd like to see them continue with the current lineup. Can get rid of Randy Couture though IMO.

It'd be pretty epic if Stallone could get Chuck Norris on board, even if it's only for a brief cameo. Just get Chuck to recite a Chuck Norris Fact or something and the internet would go fucking nuts.

Really, Chuck Norris need to be on this. On the final scene I had the secret hope to see him
beating Statham at the knife throw contest
It´s a shame it didn't happen, Expendables reminds me a lot to his old action movies.

BuRT!

This movie was so good! I didn't plan on seeing it and thought it would be awful but went to see it since I had nothing to do tonight. The basketball scene? The Plane scene? The AA12? Soooooo good

Kusagari

Expendables action was just so blah. The only cool action sequences in the entire movie were the basketball scene and Terry Crews with the AA-12. Everything else felt so generic and overdone. I can only watch Statham blandly throw knives so many times before it gets old.

depths20XX

I went into this movie having not seen any trailers or hearing much about it. It was just a really bad movie all around. Even from an action standpoint it failed. The entire final action sequence takes place at night and looks like total shit. Not even sure why Mickey Rourke was in this. Others like Couture and Austin just feel out of place. Didn't even have any good one liners or cheese. This really wasn't a good tribute to 80's action movies.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What a great movie!

Saw it Friday, Dolph gave me a boner (as usual) with his amazingness. This movie gave me what I signed up for. A 90s plot used as an excuse for some of the best action direction around. And hey, the AA-12. Everyone's blanketing it with sperm right now, so add mine to the pool.

And Rourke's monologue. MAN TEARS. MAN TEARS FOR ALL. So fucking...GUH! Yes.

owlbeak

depths20XX said:
I went into this movie having not seen any trailers or hearing much about it. It was just a really bad movie all around. Even from an action standpoint it failed. The entire final action sequence takes place at night and looks like total shit. Not even sure why Mickey Rourke was in this. Others like Couture and Austin just feel out of place. Didn't even have any good one liners or cheese. This really wasn't a good tribute to 80's action movies.
bGjfANdAGj9t1y81lIVqe3uKo1_500.gif

Dipswitch

Saw it last night with a few buddies and I had a shit eating grin on my face the whole time. The plot, acting and dialog were obviously pretty bad, but I didn't end up caring. Taken for what it was, it was a good time and I enjoyed it a lot. The charisma among the cast was obvious and they all had a good time chewing the scenery. And the cameo appearances (All 90 seconds of them) were great.

If you like 80's action movies, you'll get a kick out of it.

Dresden

The movie was boring. I wanted badass action with classic action heroes. All I got was mediocrity and boredom.

I guess I'm just a filthy nerd for saying this, but Scott Pilgrim was the better action movie. What a disappointment. Had a better time watching the A-Team, and I didn't even like that movie much.

Kick Ass is still the best action movie of the year for me.

Saw it on Saturday. Movie was "good enough". Delivered on the ridiculous action and I was happy to see a lot of the old cliches I hadn't seen in awhile were in effect. Dolph Lundgren shows why people used to care about him and it was also fun to see him doing a knock-off version of his character from Universal Solider.
His surprise appearance at the end with everything suddenly forgiven was retarded and yet I loved it.
Stone Cold in the role of the super henchman was a nice touch and his
goofball death
was funny. Arnold cameo was fun though a total tease at the dream team movie I've been waiting 20 years to happen(Please let Expendables 2 just be Arnold+Stallone or Arnold vs Stallone. Either will do). Willis' super threat towards Stallone was so overdone and unnecessary that I loved it. The entire ending action sequence was a lot of fun and really delivered.

Most of the complaints are accurate though. The story is Commando levels of nonexistent and yet the movie takes itself really seriously for such a story. Camera work and editing is hit and miss(Jet vs Dolph was a headache). The complaint of every other shot being a giant facial closeup is accurate. Rambo IV dayglow cartoon blood is in full effect. Outside of Stallone, Statham and Rourke none of the Expendables had much screen time or character and were just there for the ride. Couture is just all a round terrible. Jet Li is merely the runt character and pretty much loses from the beginning to the end of the movie. Also the whole structure of the movie has this start and stop flow which is kind of annoying(At least upon initial viewing).

Overall I liked it and I got the impression it was like Rambo IV - in that it the more familiar you are with the movie the enjoyable it becomes. Still, I wouldn't mind a re-edit version like Stallone just did with Rambo IV.

Awesome movie but I wish it was Sci Fi. The enemies posed no threat to this "Dream Team". If they were fighting aliens or robots it would have put the enemies on an even playing field IMO. Imagine them fighting an army of Predators or robots? Also I wish Willis and Arnold actually did something other than a cameo. The sequel also needs Van Dam and The Rock.

O yea. Randy Couture is by far the worst actor I have ever seen. His lines were cracking me up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom