• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-The Expendables- (Stallone, Jet Li, Statham AND Lundgren)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddles

Banned
Just saw this last night. Pretty damn amazing. Some of the scenes where it tried to be dramatic were a little weak, but the action was some of the best ever.

I thought Statham's knife kills were the highlight of the film.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Sweet mercy.

Is there a gif of the scene with Terry Crews
and the shotgun where the camera is in the tunnel and he's walking by blowing people to bits?
So good.

kaskade

So I went into the movie hoping to see people die. That's what happened and I fucking loved it. So many awesome moments. I can't remember a time when I went ohh or something during a movie. I'm actually going to see it again tomorrow.:lol

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Saw this last night, was what i expected 100%. Could it have been better? nah, its perfect for what it is :)

Terry Crews :lol "Remember this at Christmas!"

kaskade said:
So I went into the movie hoping to see people die. That's what happened and I fucking loved it. So many awesome moments. I can't remember a time when I went ohh or something during a movie. I'm actually going to see it again tomorrow.:lol

When I went there was so many moments where the theater I was in would shout or go "ohhhhhhhhhh" at various awesome moments. The shotgun tunnel scene specifically had the whole place cheering and laughing. Basketball scene was also pretty well received.

Zoramon089 said:
Crews with his shot gun was my favorite scene in a movie this year since...the hallway fight in Inception!

Seriously. This is one of the few movies that make you go "goddam shotguns are fucking powerful"

I left the theatre feeling pretty letdown.
The dialogue was bad. The story was non-existant. Only Jason Statham got character development. The action was underwhelming. Amazing cast. Poor script. Only memorable scene was when Statham did the beatdown on his girlfriend's abuser. And the final twenty minutes of insanity. This and Predators are the disappointments of the summer.

I'm a huge fan of 80s style action films and this just wasn't good enough. I preferred Stallone's Rambo IV or even Jet Li and Statham's War.

Hopefully Scott Pilgrim will give me redemption.

Leviathan1 said:
I left the theatre feeling pretty letdown.
The dialogue was bad. The story was non-existant. Only Jason Statham got character development. The action was underwhelming. Amazing cast. Poor script. Only memorable scene was when Statham did the beatdown on his girlfriend's abuser. And the final twenty minutes of insanity. This and Predators are the disappointments of the summer.

I'm a huge fan of 80s style action films and this just wasn't good enough. I preferred Stallone's Rambo IV or even Jet Li and Statham's War.

Hopefully Scott Pilgrim will give me redemption.

Action was underwhelming? Sorry, I can't agree with you there

BattleMonkey said:
Sorry you lost me at this. Almost had me.

Has Jet Li made a good movie outside of Hong Kong?

I recall sort of enjoying The One for the sheer stupidity of it and Unleashed. Outside of that it's a lot like Jackie Chan, a super talented martial artist that Hollywood doesn't know what to do with, or how to film properly.

The Take Out Bandit said:
Has Jet Li made a good movie outside of Hong Kong?

I recall sort of enjoying The One for the sheer stupidity of it and Unleashed. Outside of that it's a lot like Jackie Chan, a super talented martial artist that Hollywood doesn't know what to do with, or how to film properly.

Unleashed? In part to not having Li really talk hardly in the movie.

Zoramon089 said:
There was a clear lack of action and what was there was so terribly executed. Outside of a few decent sequences (Statham and the basketball, Crews and the shotgun) it is all a forgettable, jumbled mess. I only saw the film a week ago and I'm already starting to forgot the action.

Compare that to the vividly executed hallway scene in Inception, any of the Scott Pilgrim fights or any Hit Girl sequences in Kick-Ass. There is a reason why those are considered the best of the year.

Expendable. said:
Compare that to the vividly executed hallway scene in Inception, any of the Scott Pilgrim fights or any Hit Girl sequences in Kick-Ass. There is a reason why those are considered the best of the year.

As much as I liked those movies, they just don't compare at all. This was a totally different style of action film, old school visceral, and not music video special effect wow jizz fest.

Imm0rt4l

Zoramon089 said:
I thought the action was underwhelming personally, it didn't really make up for any of the movies shortcomings, and it had a lot.

Expendable. said:
If you mean the scene where Leo and Page are talking in a hallway then you are correct.

No, I mean that silly-looking, air-ballet stuff in the carnival tilting room with some shooting and tying people in stacks.

I mean, come on. You can't dream bigger than that auto shotty.

EDIT - Regarding below: Han in the Death Star was a pretty good hallway scene, too. Not quite as silly as Inception's, but it gets the job done.

Kenobi

Expendable. said:
If you mean the scene where Leo and Page are talking in a hallway then you are correct.
You're just upset cause SP isn't doing so well as you hoped. And anyway, why are we comparing two completely different types of movies anyway? Might as well compare the Star Wars hallway scene with Han being chased by stormtroopers as well.

Inception is amazingly good, but comparing it to Expendables is just stupid.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
How About No said:
I like the basketball part where all the 40-year olds are acting like 12-year old bullies :lol

Yeah was good, his line was corny as fuck as well

"Now you know what i do for a living"

............ errrrrrr, beat people up on basketball courts.

Willectro

Banned
Great movie, but people who clap throughout the movie can fucking die. There's no need for clapping, it isn't a live performance and someone didn't discover the cure for cancer. Sit in your fucking seat and shut the fuck up. That was my experience at the theater anyways. </rant>

I saw this poster in the theater and was shocked at how bad it is.

O0Qf4.jpg

Is that supposed to be Bruce Willis on the right? It doesn't look like him at all. I know there's also some 'shopped perspective, since Stallone is actually much shorter than many of his co-stars.

Aselith

adamsappel said:
I saw this poster in the theater and was shocked at how bad it is.

O0Qf4.jpg

Is that supposed to be Bruce Willis on the right? It doesn't look like him at all. I know there's also some 'shopped perspective, since Stallone is actually much shorter than many of his co-stars.

Not a single orange OR blue area on that bitch. WTF

Bleepey

I can't wait for Expendables 2, Van Damme is almost a dead cert and we can hope Sly can bring in Chan, Yen and a few more people.

Loved the movie. It's an 80's movie made in 2010.

Only thing I hated was that it reminded me that Austin is a wife beater in real life...

Bring on the Rock, Kiefer Sutherland, Van Damne and wesley Snipes lol.

Anth0ny

Just watched it. Fucking great, mindless action.

And the Schwarzenegger scene was just awesome. I was smiling the entire way through :lol

Just saw it again, don't know why I was so negative against it before. Really fun stuff. I guess I overlooked the plot this time and let it be as cheesy as possible.

Statham's knife scenes were definitely the highlight, so fucking dope. And I loved Lundgren, he was so damn cheeesy. "Life's a joke, shitbird!", "Don't speak to me cockroach" lolwtf? :lol

Dream sequel would have Ahnold leading Van Damme, Jackie Chan and Seagal oh man that would be dope.

The worst scene had to be that one where the camera was zoomed in on Rourke's face while he gives that teary monologue. I was cracking up the whole time, God damn it was so unnecessary. It was like The Wrestler 2

Foreign numbers not fully calculated but with estimates so far it looks to have made about 40mil so far with it being it's first week only in some territories. So it's over 110mil so far world wide at least.

Manly success

Marvie_3

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
Foreign numbers not fully calculated but with estimates so far it looks to have made about 40mil so far with it being it's first week only in some territories. So it's over 110mil so far world wide at least.

Manly success
Now make a sequel. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom